• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2015 (Mar 23 - Mar 29)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
mobile sucks though

To you maybe, but certain mobile titles for companies are making more money than a retail console / handheld ever could and in a shorter amount of time too. Hence the gold rush with everyone trying to get rich quick and keep throwing that shit at the wall in hopes something will stick with the audience.

Beckx

I've been saying this for what feels like years now, but Konami should buy the MLB license. No one is making baseball sims on XB1 and PC. Asset sharing with the Japanese games doesn't seem like a bad idea if they're going to do PS4 baseball games anyway.

Not sure they'd ever recoup the cost of the license and the development work necessary.

There's a shit-ton of detail in PYS, they'd have to put resources into bringing over the MLB players in a way that meets the PYS expectations. Also the real draw of PYS is how it's built around the idea of special skills that some players have, almost like an RPG, and that's not really big for US baseball games.

Not to mention the marketing cost.

lol, as if JRPGs on any other platforms perform any differently

Just look at the FW / LTD ratio for games such Bravely Default, Fantasy Life, Yo-kai Watch, and then compare with, e.g., Tales of Xillia, Final Fantasy XIII / XIII-2 / LR, Oreshika 2. This is true in general terms.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Are these Famitsu numbers?

Yeah, those are Famitsu numbers. This week shows several titles with quite different numbers between both trackers (due to the huge amount of releases, probably).

boingball

Sony dominating the charts. Hopefully the PS4 stays above 30k for a while.

Disgaea seems to be bombing though. I hope that doesn't mean trouble for NIS.

Parakeetman

Meh, SAO sold too much and Bloodborne not enough.

You can say that if the actual sell through %ages come out.

Considering there were constant reports of BB being sold out / hard to find Id have to think it did well with its first shipment. Esp considering the not yet filled out PS4 userbase for what is considered to be a title made for core gamers.

Just look at the FW / LTD ratio for games such Bravely Default, Fantasy Life, Yo-kai Watch, and then compare with, e.g., Tales of Xillia, Final Fantasy XIII / XIII-2 / LR, Oreshika 2. This is true in general terms.

While I'd agree JRPG's are even more front loaded on Sony platforms than Nintendo platforms, did you really think the most effective way to prove that point was to compare 3 new IP's against 2 their 13th mainline installments?

Even for you that's stretching things.

To you maybe, but certain mobile titles for companies are making more money than a retail console / handheld ever could and in a shorter amount of time too. Hence the gold rush with everyone trying to get rich quick and keep throwing that shit at the wall in hopes something will stick with the audience.
might be interesting if they start tracking the sales

Takao

Banned
Not sure they'd ever recoup the cost of the license and the development work necessary.

There's a shit-ton of detail in PYS, they'd have to put resources into bringing over the MLB players in a way that meets the PYS expectations. Also the real draw of PYS is how it's built around the idea of special skills that some players have, almost like an RPG, and that's not really big for US baseball games.

Not to mention the marketing cost.

Do you think Konami will make PYS/Power Pros look like a PS4 game, or do you expect them to just pretty up the PS3 engine? I ask because I'm not sure today's Konami would do the investment for the former.

While I'd agree JRPG's are even more front loaded on Sony platforms than Nintendo platforms, did you really think the most effective way to prove that point was to compare 3 new IP's against 2 their 13th mainline installments?

Even for you that's stretching things.

You're right. I remember more notable examples, though, such as DQ VIII vs. IX (62% vs. 56%); or the FFIII remake, which had a 50% or so ratio. Another long-standing IP such a Fire Emblem had a ratio of 57%. It's very unusual to see a ratio between 50% and 60% on a Sony platform.

Oh you xD

BD : 49%
SMT4 : 73%
PQ : 70%
DQ7 : 68%
FEA : 57%
EO4 : 72%

FF13 : 75%
FF13-2 : 66%
ToX : 76%
ToV : 56%
WKC : 60%
VC : 55%
DeS : 22% (lol)

I think there are several factors affecting things here. Consumer bases are definitely one factor.

Ryan95

Judging Senran Kagura Estival Versus sales and comparing to the previous entries of the series, it would be still reasonable to think PS platforms are the most profitable option even if it's Vita and PS4 sales combined (assuming that the development of the extra PS4 version didn't cost too much to require much more sales to the game), so the spin-off series should be kept alive, or at least I hope that for people who are interested in it.

Beckx

Do you think Konami will make PYS/Power Pros look like a PS4 game, or do you expect them to just pretty up the PS3 engine? I ask because I'm not sure today's Konami would do the investment for the former.

I don't expect any big visual upgrades. Though I'm part of the problem: I would settle for being able to play the games on my PS4 as a convenience.

Faustek

hmm, I wonder what's up the laughing at the Vita DQH.
If people haven't noticed Japan has had abysmal sales of all the software as of late so even something like 80k seems ok for an initial week. Even DQ Theatrhythm barely managed to release above the first release of FF Theatrhythm and a smidgens below Curtain Call. And this is the game they have gone all bells and whistles with and promised that all DLC be free. This has to bee some sort of faux promotion in the works for the coming DQ games. Even if it isn't a 3DS game to start with(will be streamed to everything later on anyway) Well as long as it pans out it's ok. Anyway.
The PS4 isn't really much of a must in Japan atm, it's more of a "maybe* while the Vita is an nearly *ok* thing. The PS3 faltering, still alive but for how much longer? And considering that it ain't all that hard, in the correct environment, to port games between the systems and one of them being really healthy in the ROTW* I see it as a gamble they need to take if they aren't going to hide in the swamp of iOS/Android releases or just stay in Japan.

Nah, if a third party publisher is smart in these days they'll better make damn sure they are in an environment that allows ports to everything as quickly, preferably good as well, as possible to everything out there. This includes PC.

*Don't fuck up the hunting games on consoles folks. My personal opinion but Toukiden and GE2RB really felt wrong on PS4. So did Type-0. Heck don't fuck up games ever.

Oh you xD

BD : 49%
SMT4 : 73%
PQ : 70%
DQ7 : 68%
FEA : 57%
EO4 : 72%

FF13 : 75%
FF13-2 : 66%
ToX : 76%
ToV : 56%
WKC : 60%
VC : 55%
DeS : 22% (lol)

I think there are several factors affecting things here. Consumer bases are definitely one factor.

Off Topic first: I love your new Avatar :D It's great.

On Topic: Are we calculating in overall sales in this as well? Add how long they promoted it as well. And one more thing, never ever compare Youkai Watch to anything. That thing is in it's own league of WTF. It still has an manga and anime(do they? or just movies now?) airing with it. So even if they weren't actively promoting the game on the streets they sure as hell had a great promotion they got paid for airing. Nah, this is a more than just a strike of lightning. Youkai Watch is one of the few games that truly deserves being called a *beast*.

Parakeetman

*Don't fuck up the hunting games on consoles folks. My personal opinion but Toukiden and GE2RB really felt wrong on PS4. So did Type-0. Heck don't fuck up games ever.

Of course its going to feel wrong when both of those games also were built off of code that had to include the PSP with it originally. Which is why stuff looked "odd" until you actually reach content that was made outside of what was included on the PSP versions.

Type-0 is also another title that was a PSP title so am not sure what people expected to happen when it gets ported to the PS4. lol

might be interesting if they start tracking the sales

Companies already do that actually.

Faustek

Of course its going to feel wrong when both of those games also were built off of code that had to include the PSP with it originally. Which is why stuff looked "odd" until you actually reach content that was made outside of what was included on the PSP versions.

Type-0 is also another title that was a PSP title so am not sure what people expected to happen when it gets ported to the PS4. lol

Companies already do that actually.

Yeah I haven't reached the new stuff in Toukiden, didn't transfer as it wasn't up yet. Went back to the Vita version. Which has taken a back seat to Bloodborne. Actually everything has taken a back seat to Bloodborne for me atm. Just a few hours here and there I can play something else.

Oh for the tracking of mobile stuff. Anything they share?

TheChaos0

Man, Disgaea 5...:_( Don't worry NIS, I'll buy one when it comes out in Europe, even if I don't have time to play it.

Who's next on the hit list. Please, don't be Atelier...

Faustek

Man, Disgaea 5...:_( Don't worry NIS, I'll buy one when it comes out in Europe, even if I don't have time to play it.

ohh I forgot to mention that but to all the *R.I.P NIS* posts.
They must have counted on this. Such a heavy week and releasing a new game on a console. A place where their games historically have performed worse than their handheld counterparts. They had to be counting on this. Not really sure what they are counting with in the west though. As far as I gather they do ok. For being not-final-fantasy or having a Platform holder cuddling them.

PS4 - Bright future ahead

Vita- Making a comeback thanks to the PS4

PS4- Savior of gaming in Japan

imo, it's more like everyone already owns a 3DS so why not try the rest. (/^▽^)/

HGH

Banned
Well I commented already in the last thread, so I don't have much to say beyond some optimism for PS4 and wanting to see how these sales progress in April.
Speaking of which, the next niche JRPG on PS4 is Neptunia VII. I wonder how that'll do? It's releasing on the same day as Bravely Second,Toukiden Kiwami and BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma Extend. Will those games cannibalize sales nearly as much as D5 got?
I recall their launch announcement having this quote: "いくぜ、4~5万本。" (Let's go, 40K~50K copies). Seems way way more feasible than 150K.

Dr. Serkan Toto @serkantoto · 12h 12 hours ago
Testing CAVE's brand new 2D shooter "Death Garuda" ゴシックは魔法乙女 (iOS- and Japan-only atm). https://appsto.re/jp/wnJh3.i

Wonder if they will even bother porting it to xbox one with sales being as bad as they are.

Faustek

Well I commented already in the last thread, so I don't have much to say beyond some optimism for PS4 and wanting to see how these sales progress in April.
Speaking of which, the next niche JRPG on PS4 is Neptunia VII. I wonder how that'll do? It's releasing on the same day as Bravely Second,Toukiden Kiwami and BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma Extend. Will those games cannibalize sales nearly as much as D5 got?
I recall their launch announcement having this quote: "いくぜ、4~5万本。" (Let's go, 40K~50K copies). Seems way way more feasible than 150K.

If anything they are being sober about the amount they can sell...always something. Right ( -_・)?

But I'm not really into Neptunia, the Noire release is still sitting on my shelf unopened. Just bought it because of Sting, backlog and Bloodborne killing everything. Is it a good game? Do they usually sell well?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks Para. Will read.

Parakeetman

Yeah I haven't reached the new stuff in Toukiden, didn't transfer as it wasn't up yet. Went back to the Vita version. Which has taken a back seat to Bloodborne. Actually everything has taken a back seat to Bloodborne for me atm. Just a few hours here and there I can play something else.

Oh for the tracking of mobile stuff. Anything they share?

I dont actually follow the more recent stuff. Nirolak had done up a thread on general numbers from a company that does track info like that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650611
http://www.eurotechnology.com/2015/02/10/japan-smartphone-apps-ranking/
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/jgames/
http://www.applift.com/blog/mobile-games-marketing-in-asia-china-japan-south-korea.html
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...8m-in-april-alone-market-cap-exceeds-nintendo
https://www.techinasia.com/monster-strike-dethrones-puzzle-dragons-metaps/

Know that these are not all companies that track stuff as usually the data is sold. But there are lots of various articles out there.

I wonder how many copies Senran Kagura Estival Versus will sell next week due to the no panties glitch

Sony must be really happy at all those sales over the sony platforms

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Pretty good PS4 numbers for the month. Consistently selling higher than all of the 3DS's combined as well as Vita. They are actually close to XB1's lower numbers for America for this month(mid to low 100,000s) that's insane.

What's unfortunately concerning is that without more titles to sustain it, this might dry up. Japanese devs cant let that happen, as its been shown that gamers will bite with software. I'm also sure BB sales were bolstered alteast in part to the Metacritic scores. They do look at those in Japanese blogs for western releases, even Iwata references back to them in earnings reports

akitaone

Banned

Atelier Shallie's sales were down about 10K in its first week of JPN sales in comparison to Escha & Logy.

Faustek

I wonder how many copies Senran Kagura Estival Versus will sell next week due to the no panties glitch

Sony must be really happen at all those sales over the sony platforms

I just doritoed that......well at least they hadn't gone full out and made an anatomically correct vagina. But if anything will help sell that game is if the Anime is popular. The new anime started airing last week as well I believe...?

where is our lord and saviour famitsu

http://www.famitsu.com/biz/ranking/ to lazy to transcribe.

Do you really believe that? Disgaea 5 not being possible on Vita is PR 101 in order to as few people as possible wait for the portable version.

Also the 60k that each Disgaea did on Vita is a hefty amount for both NIS and Disgaea. 60k that Disgaea 5 on PS4 will never do.

The only thing I see that might not be doable on Vita is the amount of characters on screen at once... and they could easily tone that down like many Vita/PS4 releases do. Beyond that, it looks like it could easily be done on Vita.

I actually believe them that THEY wouldn't be able to get D5 to run on Vita. I'm currently playing D4 Vita and some of the slowdowns are horrendous.

Disgaea 5 :(, not really the smartest idea to release the game at the end of March uh.

I wonder if they were forced to release before end of the financial year for business reasons, being as it's their flagship series and all they kind of put all their eggs in one basket.

hmm, I wonder what's up the laughing at the Vita DQH.
If people haven't noticed Japan has had abysmal sales of all the software as of late so even something like 80k seems ok for an initial week. Even DQ Theatrhythm barely managed to release above the first release of FF Theatrhythm and a smidgens below Curtain Call. And this is the game they have gone all bells and whistles with and promised that all DLC be free. This has to bee some sort of faux promotion in the works for the coming DQ games. Even if it isn't a 3DS game to start with(will be streamed to everything later on anyway) Well as long as it pans out it's ok. Anyway.
The PS4 isn't really much of a must in Japan atm, it's more of a "maybe* while the Vita is an nearly *ok* thing. The PS3 faltering, still alive but for how much longer? And considering that it ain't all that hard, in the correct environment, to port games between the systems and one of them being really healthy in the ROTW* I see it as a gamble they need to take if they aren't going to hide in the swamp of iOS/Android releases or just stay in Japan.

Nah, if a third party publisher is smart in these days they'll better make damn sure they are in an environment that allows ports to everything as quickly, preferably good as well, as possible to everything out there. This includes PC.

Off Topic first: I love your new Avatar :D It's great.

On Topic: Are we calculating in overall sales in this as well? Add how long they promoted it as well. And one more thing, never ever compare Youkai Watch to anything. That thing is in it's own league of WTF. It still has an manga and anime(do they? or just movies now?) airing with it. So even if they weren't actively promoting the game on the streets they sure as hell had a great promotion they got paid for airing. Nah, this is a more than just a strike of lightning. Youkai Watch is one of the few games that truly deserves being called a *beast*.

would you like the full resolution?

Parakeetman

pretty sure mc/famitsu said they'll start tracking mobile sales since last year or something

http://app.famitsu.com/20141222_472695/

ex.
0182.jpg
0172.jpg

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy [3DS] - 68,901
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call [3DS] - 75,867
Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest [3DS] - 61,073

at least in some ways FF still can do better than DQ

Yes I found this interesting. Although MC has the game selling quite a bit more (Closer to TFF:CC)

vinny pls

lol

does the Wii U have anything leading up to Xenoblade Chronicles X?
Rodea and Lego on 4/2.

Eolz

Thsir best hope is being bought out by a larger company.

I could see Kadokawa buying them tbh.

The SK series in general still is the "hot shit" for now with the Otaku crowd. Disgaea has been on a decline. Am sure it will happen to SK eventually with how they are totally overdoing it with too many releases.

SK never was "hot shit" amongst japanese otakus, even at its peak. It's another story in the west.

I played both enough to know that souls arent fun and bloodborne is. Combat feels completely different, the only similarity is they are slower paced compared to most 3rd person action games

Bloodborne is a new IP, its sales benefit is that it was made by the same developer as souls and has that pedigree. It still is not a souls game even if its closer to those than it is to say devil may cry

BB technically is a new IP, but it's still a Souls game. You can see that with a lot more than just "slower paced compared to most 3rd person action games".
Of course, BB is the most accessible yet, and its combat is really funnier/more interesting, but otherwise, it shares with the Souls series:
-same leveling system
-same level and progression structure
-same combat system (minus turtle builds and dodge)
-same multiplayer system
-nearly the same UI
-Insight, with some features added, works like Humanity
-same design philosophy
-nearly the same control scheme
-similar enemy patterns (but adapted to the new, faster-paced combat obviously)
and a lot more (I can keep doing it for a while).

You should really give Dark Souls another try once you've finished BB (if that isn't already the case). The similarities will be even more blatant, and you might see something fun in it that you didn't at first.

PS4 - Bright future ahead

Vita- Making a comeback thanks to the PS4

PS4- Savior of gaming in Japan

2x PS4? The Vita is more likely making a "comeback" because it actually got higher-profile games (if we can call them like that). Vita TV would sell well if the PS4 had this effect.

Parakeetman

SK never was "hot shit" amongst japanese otakus, even at its peak. It's another story in the west.

Who do you think keeps buying them, so that the company keeps pumping out this many versions of mainly the same general thing. Outside of their cooking / rhythm game.

impact

Banned
I played both enough to know that souls arent fun and bloodborne is. Combat feels completely different, the only similarity is they are slower paced compared to most 3rd person action games

Bloodborne is a new IP, its sales benefit is that it was made by the same developer as souls and has that pedigree. It still is not a souls game even if its closer to those than it is to say devil may cry

You have absolutely no clue what you're saying and have not played the Souls games. Like, no fucking clue lol.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Famitsu:
1. [PS4] Bloodborne - 150,245 / NEW
2. [PSV] SAO: Lost Song - 125,441 / NEW
3. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - 81,387 / NEW
4. [PS3] Pro Spirits Baseball 2015 - 63,648 / NEW
5. [3DS] Theathrhythm Dragon Quest - 61,073 / NEW
6. [PSV] Senran Kagura: Estival Versus - 49,365 / NEW
7. [PS3] SAO: Lost Song - 43,562 / NEW
8. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - 42,845 / NEW
9. [PSV] Pro Spirits Baseball 2015 - 38,519 / NEW