• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2015 (Mar 23 - Mar 29)

akitaone

Banned
I don't think it would be in their best interest to say it could because it would give people motivation to wait for the inevitable Vita version. I'm still confident it'll appear on Vita at some point, especially after how badly it bombed on PS4. They can make some accommodations to make it playable on Vita.

The Vita can't handle the 100 characters on the screen at once. Also, Disgaea Vita sales aren't exactly that great as well.

Japanese publishers REALLY need to embrace Steam, especially JRPG publishers...I think the best JRPG on Steam is still The Last Remnant :p

A.J.

Banned
Could Sony perhaps give D5 as a PS+ game the month it comes out in NA and just pay off NIS? It would probably be more beneficial for the game's western release and put the franchise in more peoples hands.

Fisico

I am not deflecting. People are saying that this game would go from a flop to a success with only 20K more in sales? I don't agree.

20k more wouldn't make the game a success either.
Also it's not about 20k but more Disgaea 5 selling less than half or even a third of what it was supposed to sell to be in line with previous episode sales.

NIS struggling to find new viable IPs and having their flagship series underperforming that bad is worrying for their future to say the least.

And yes Disgaea 5 is a bomb, you can spin it however you want, hoping for legs, that it will not have because of being a RPG on top of being a PS4 game, or digital sales, which accounts for 5-10% of LTD number generally, but the title will struggle to reach 50k LTD through bomba bins because it was probably overshipped.

Just stating facts about numbers, not taking any pleasure in it, some may be though because of the staff exodus that was mentionned last week and took place in 2013 apparently

akitaone

Banned
Could Sony perhaps give D5 as a PS+ game the month it comes out in NA and just pay off NIS? It would probably be more beneficial for the game's western release and put the franchise in more peoples hands.

Disgaea is a niche game in a niche genre...I think most people that have PS+ wouldn't even notice it.

Hellraider

The Vita can't handle the 100 characters on the screen at once. Also, Disgaea Vita sales aren't exactly that great as well.

Do you really believe that? Disgaea 5 not being possible on Vita is PR 101 in order to as few people as possible wait for the portable version.

Also the 60k that each Disgaea did on Vita is a hefty amount for both NIS and Disgaea. 60k that Disgaea 5 on PS4 will never do.

akitaone

Banned
Do you really believe that? Disgaea 5 not being possible on Vita is PR 101 in order to as few people as possible wait for the portable version.

Also the 60k that each Disgaea did on Vita is a hefty amount for both NIS and Disgaea. 60k that Disgaea 5 on PS4 will never do.
Have you seen the Disgaea gameplay videos? There is alot more going on besides the graphics. I think it would costs a significant amount of additional development funds to pull it off if they could.

I'm sure most people having PS+ would never play those indie games if not for being in PS+.

It would be as noticed as nearly every indie game they give out.
How much money and sales did those indie games get because of PS+ outside of gamers that post on gaming message boards? Can we assume that the budget for those games are alot less that Disgaea? Sales aren't that low that they would just forgo a traditional release and go straight to PS+, for what could still be the market with the most sales for this game.

akitaone

Banned

D4 on Vita only had 33K in first week sales.

Have you seen the Disgaea gameplay videos? There is alot more going on besides the graphics. I think it would costs a significant amount of additional development funds to pull it off if they could.

The only thing I see that might not be doable on Vita is the amount of characters on screen at once... and they could easily tone that down like many Vita/PS4 releases do. Beyond that, it looks like it could easily be done on Vita.

A.J.

Banned
How much money and sales did those indie games get because of PS+ outside of gamers that post on gaming message boards? Can we assume that the budget for those games are alot less that Disgaea? Sales aren't that low that they would just forgo a traditional release and go straight to PS+, for what could still be the market with the most sales for this game.

I couldn't tell you the budget but I think the forced interest strategy would be more beneficial than a silent PSN release.

The new game in your flagship series selling worse than half the sales of any other entry is a flop. There's not really any way to spin this as something that's not really bad for NIS. None of their new IPs have really caught on either. If they don't turn things around fast, NIS could be in serious trouble.

donny2112

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2015 (Mar 23- Mar 29)

514w3uwI6sL._SL160_SL160_.jpg
614oXsdLMOL._SL160_SL160_.jpg
61NCej6WMBL._SL160_SL160_.jpg
51FKAxii6OL._SL160_SL160_.jpg
613RRVqVdWL._SL160_SL160_.jpg

Yea, pictures! :D

Eolz

its really not though

have you played both bloodborne and souls and gundam musou and other musou?

Bloodborne is very much a new IP, dynasty warriors gundam has that name for a reason

Did we play the same game? Bloodborne is still a Souls game at heart, and you can easily break down its mechanics and UX to show that. Nobody would be fooled in thinking this is a brand new concept.

I agree with you that Disgaea 5 wouldn't be an easy port on Vita (unlike 4), but it could still be done.

You can assume that the budget of most PS+ indie games is lower yes, mostly due to smaller teams and a difference in localization/marketing costs.
PS+ is advertised by Sony everywhere, and any gamer having a subscription will know about those games, whether they download them or not. We'd obviously need some numbers and ratios to know about how much it help them, but if it was a problem, indies wouldn't seem so happy on twitter when they are in PS+, or so eager to get in unlike bigger publishers.
It's probably for another topic, but PS+ nowadays seems more used for games that would welcome more exposure (indies), are in need of more sales (games that were released 6 months earlier for example), or really old games where publishers don't really care about more sales since they can feel it has been a success and just get a better reputation from more gamers like that (most ps3 games now).

Ryuukan

and its already coming to iOS

CBhYCkDXEAA9uee.jpg

Hellraider

I know what Disgaea as a series looks like and what Disgaea 5 looks like. The reason D5 is PS4 only is a business one. It's not there because it can't be done anywhere else.

D4 on Vita only had 33K in first week sales.

Which is still 50% more than what D5 did in its first week. 60k was LTD.

I have no idea why we are arguing probably the most obvious thing of the week.

Tripon

The new game in your flagship series selling worse than half the sales of any other entry is a flop. There's not really any way to spin this as something that's not really bad for NIS. None of their new IPs have really caught on either. If they don't turn things around fast, NIS could be in serious trouble.
Thsir best hope is being bought out by a larger company.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since there's been some discussion in the past about how existing brands can perform on mobile compared to new IPs, I decided to take a snapshot of the current top 20 and see what they were.

I separated out LINE's games as they're pushed through an extremely popular messaging service so they have majorly inflated success due to a tremendous marketing platform.

The third existing brand that's unlabeled is "Love Live" and I forgot that title isn't in English on the Japanese app store like One Piece and Final Fantasy.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
sörine;158419576 said:
Not as niche as SK. Or at least it didn't used to be.

The SK series in general still is the "hot shit" for now with the Otaku crowd. Disgaea has been on a decline. Am sure it will happen to SK eventually with how they are totally overdoing it with too many releases.

Bebpo

Banned
The problem with the PS4/PS3/Vita split as shown by One Piece (and PS3/PS4 gap is not closing in this instance) is that Sony Japan's created a frankenstein monster industry over there and if you're a 3rd party you have to release your game on PS3/PS4/Vita because leaving even one platform out means leaving sales on the table.

Problem with that being that now developers have to make their games to accommodate working on PS3/Vita, which will hold back making use of the new tech in PS4 for gameplay purposes (bigger worlds and such).

Really can't even see the next Tales releasing PS4 only unless FFXV comes out and shakes up the ratios. Feel like next Tales would be PS4/PS3/PC and maybe even Vita if they could get it running on that.

cafemomo

After D5, what's in store for NIS? Is that their only IP they can rely on?

stateside, NISA lost Altelier and Neptunia due to Koei and IFI getting back their IPs

i wish i liked Disgaea more so i can feel some sort of way about this. I played through the first 2-3 hours of Disgaea 3 on the vita and i couldnt be assed to play more of it. Just found it boring as all hell.

Damn 5 pages already? a lot of people were interested in Bloodborne and D5 bombing it seems.

RIP NIS, we all saw this coming since Bloodborne got delayed, good work not seeing the bus coming and either rush out the game sooner or delay it (though I guess FY closing wouldn't have allow that to happen).

Bloodborne sales were as expected, will like to see the sell through ratio from Famitsu to see the demand from the fanbase on PS4, the game is different from the souls series, I feel there is less replayability but I welcome the change in peace and a game designed to be more offensive orientated that what the souls series is/was. Also after the disappointment that was DaS2 (game wise, no sales wise) I welcome BB with open arms, though I feel it will settle down between DeS and DaS1 as my favorite game ever.

I was worried about EV sales for a while, since I thought there was a chance of bombing like SK2, but it seems that it performed a lot better than what I was expecting, specially the PS4 version, there is an obvious decline from SKV but it makes sense when SKV was released on the same week Vita got its price cut and it had an anime series ongoing to promote the game. I wonder what is the in the future for the series, after playing the game for some hours on PS4 I don't think I can go back to the Vita version or the 3DS version of the game.

Did we play the same game? Bloodborne is still a Souls game at heart, and you can easily break down its mechanics and UX to show that. Nobody would be fooled in thinking this is a brand new concept.
I played both enough to know that souls arent fun and bloodborne is. Combat feels completely different, the only similarity is they are slower paced compared to most 3rd person action games

Bloodborne is a new IP, its sales benefit is that it was made by the same developer as souls and has that pedigree. It still is not a souls game even if its closer to those than it is to say devil may cry

FluxWaveZ

I played both enough to know that souls arent fun and bloodborne is. Combat feels completely different, the only similarity is they are slower paced compared to most 3rd person action games

Most people who have played both the Souls games and Bloodborne will say that they feel extremely similar, so your opinion isn't a common one.

Bloodborne is a new IP, its sales benefit is that it was made by the same developer as souls and has that pedigree.

Then the question becomes just how much the name mattered in relation to the game's sales. Did it being a new IP actually influence anything significantly compared to if it were called "Demon's Souls 2"?

It wasn't brand new at the time, but they have given away a Disgaea game on PS+ in NA before (Disgaea 3 Vita).

Interesting week. Hardware across the board is kinda ehh, but software's made for some interesting stuff.

Sword Art Online being the big winner this week, flat on Vita and extra sales from PS3 (I was sure that it would just be split userbase like every other game of this kind).

Theatrhythm is flat. No-one seems to be talking about this game! Is that a good result? I'm sure they'll DLC the hell out of it like they did with Curtain Call, but still, I can't really tell.

Poor Disgaea though. It's especially a shame because NIS literally don't have any other hit games other than arguably Witch & Hundred Knight which is still in the red for them and I'm not sure is something they can make a successful franchise of. Felt the same way for them when Awakened Fate bombed and it was clear that that couldn't be a franchise for them either.

I do feel slightly that they should've branched out in the past few years to trying to establish handheld franchises. Vita was basically abandoned by them until early 2014, and even then it was just ports/multiplats/glorified indie games. Wonder how much longer they'll last.

Nice to see Pro Yakyuu up on Vita. The missing PS4 version is a bit ridiculous, though.

Beckx

Nice to see Pro Yakyuu up on Vita. The missing PS4 version is a bit ridiculous, though.

Will be interesting to see what happens when PowerPro gets announced. That should be soon-ish, right, if they aim for another October release. Feels like that game needs a lift after the not so well received changes to powerpro creation game & pay-to-win dlc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Will be interesting to see what happens when PowerPro gets announced. That should be soon-ish, right, if they aim for another October release. Feels like that game needs a lift after the not so well received changes to powerpro creation game & pay-to-win dlc.

It's currently the #5 grossing game on iOS in Japan, which is getting to the 7 digit a day range, so apparently the answer was the keep them and put it on mobile instead.

Beckx

It's currently the #5 grossing game on iOS in Japan, which is getting to the 7 digit a day range, so apparently the answer was the keep them and put it on mobile instead.

You are hurting my heart Nirolak.

Not because I care about mobile v console (Eikan mode would be just as fun either way (assuming they have that on mobile)) but because of region locked stores.

The way they changed PowerPro creation now makes it obvious in retrospect, though. The new board game was very mobile design friendly.

Famista has already gone mobile only, I believe. Last console entry was 2011 3DS?

Takao

Banned
I've been saying this for what feels like years now, but Konami should buy the MLB license. No one is making baseball sims on XB1 and PC. Asset sharing with the Japanese games doesn't seem like a bad idea if they're going to do PS4 baseball games anyway.

The 23K is only 4 days of sales, not a whole month.

Sales will drop next week, and the week after until a complete disappearance from the charts. This is how Disgaea typically performs, and more generally jRPGs on Sony platforms.

There is no way to make any of these bold statements considering we don't know what the digital sales were. People are buying alot more digital games than they were back when D4 came out (which was the last Disgaea with all hard-copy only sales). See: Cities Skylines, or basically every Nintendo game over the past 2 years.

My point is that, every game talked about in this thread is either a success or a flop, with no in-between.

In the best-case scenario, D5 sold around 30-35k including digital sales: still an awful debut, worst than any previous entry and a signal that expectations will not be meet anytime soon, not even half of them.

EV had 10k digital.

SV sold well digitally as well, since it was supply-constrained. If you add digital sales, EV is still a decline over the previous entry on PSV, and this had two platforms.

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy [3DS] - 68,901
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call [3DS] - 75,867
Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest [3DS] - 61,073

at least in some ways FF still can do better than DQ

DQ will likely sell better over time.

Top Bottom