• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2015 (Jun 08 - Jun 14)

Bruno MB

USA numbers are only for two days, we'll have to wait until july to see if it held decently in June.

Really? I always thought it was, especially after Capcom announced it shipped 4m copies of MH4 when Famitsu had it showing a couple hundred thousands less with 80-100% ST, but yeah I guess I was wrong after doing the math.

Incidentally, you're not wrong pointing out the discrepancy between official Capcom numbers for Monster Hunter 4 and Famitsu. For some reason, Famitsu shipment estimate + digital sales were far from 4 million.

Capcom announced that the game had reached that milestone by December 4, 2013.

This was Famitsu data for Monster Hunter 4 during that week.

Monster Hunter 4 - 25.743 / 3.171.035 <96,6%> 112.600 units in stock
Digital Sales - 273.021

Total (units shipped + digital sales) - 3.556.656

Almost half a million units of discrepancy, that's huge even if Capcom also includes other Asian countries.

Well, they announced new weapons!
It's far too soon to announce new DLC. The game hasn't been out for a month, and the full disc content hasn't even been unlocked.
We'll probably hear about DLC in October or November.
We know there's a big update happening in August. This would have been an opportunity to talk more about it.

L~A

Yup, good sales for Splatoon.

Also, good to have you back Chris (and thanks hiska-kun for taking care of the thread in his "absence").

deleted

Hyrule Warriors was already confirmed as a WW million seller too (without a specific number, however)

I guess 10 million sellers isn't too bad for a console that sold 10 million? How many games sold more than a Million on the Gamecube and Dreamcast?

Even if the general situation is still really bad.

Bruno MB

Splatoon worldwide watch:

Splatoon
Jap.: 298.549
USA: 136.000
FR: 35.000
UK: 31.455

Total: 501.004

So, it's above 500.000 officially (from what we know).
+40.000 digital sales in Japan, +30.000 in Germany (probably) and plus the rest of Europe we're at >600.000 units.

• It's the best selling game in June @ amazon.com - Let's see if it has similar legs in the USA.

Now its completely evident that Splatoon worldwide shipments will easily exceed 1 million by the end of the month. We will now the exact figure when Nintendo discloses its quarterly earnings report.

sörine

Banned
I guess 10 million sellers isn't too bad for a console that sold 10 million? How many games sold more than a Million on the Gamecube and Dreamcast?

Even if the general situation is still really bad.
According to wikipedia DC had 7 and GC had 28. I doubt those lists are exhaustive though.

DrWong

I think if Nintendo can adapt Splatoon to the 3DS, the franchise can continue to grow. It doesn't even need to be the same thing as the WiiU version. Maybe something more suited to portable gaming habits in Japan. Co-op driven 4 player raid maps with bosses and enemies, even more character customization, etc.

I'm sure we're a lot with this same idea and one of the reasons, aside Splatoon good reception, is that the core game/mechanic offers tons of potential for derivatives formulas : 2D action/platform Splatoon, 3D solo Splatoon, 3D coop' action Splatoon, 2.5D metroidvania Splatoon...

Now, where's the anime? :]

Now its completely evident that Splatoon worldwide shipments will easily exceed 1 million by the end of the month. We will now the exact figure when Nintendo discloses its quarterly earnings report.

Not surprised and it's been my bet since the NPD results. Now what I'm wondering is if it can pass the 2M shipped ww by the end of this year.

Takao

Banned
Dragon Ball on 3DS:

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission ( Bandai Namco ) { 2013-02-28 } - 90,119 / 282,561
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 ( Bandai Namco ) { 2014-08-07 } - 70,832 / 209,686
[3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.06.11} - 68.398 / NEW <40-60%>

Heroes too strong.

Related games:

[GBA] Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors ( Banpresto ) { 2004-03-26 } - 64,780 / 160,176
[NDS] Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2 ( Bandai ) { 2005-12-01 } - 42,280 / 313,505
[NDS] Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden ( Bandai Namco ) { 2011-02-03 } - 29,732 / 89,911
[3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.06.11} - 68.398 / NEW <40-60%>

thefro

Remember that the 136.000 for the USA are just the first two or three days of sales.

yep, plus digital sales in the US have been pretty good considering Splatoon is above all the Humble Nindie Bundle games (they sold 70,000+ of those) on the eShop charts. I'm sure not everyone has redeemed their keys yet but we're still talking 20k+ at least.

deleted

sörine;168625949 said:
According to wikipedia DC had 7 and GC had 28. I doubt those lists are exhaustive though.

Puh, 28 million sellers with 20-25m consoles, that's really impressive.

DC with 7 and piracy from day one is also really good. Or at least it seems so to me.

Dragon Ball on 3DS:

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission ( Bandai Namco ) { 2013-02-28 } - 90,119 / 282,561
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 ( Bandai Namco ) { 2014-08-07 } - 70,832 / 209,686

Heroes too strong.

Related games:

[GBA] Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors ( Banpresto ) { 2004-03-26 } - 64,780 / 160,176
[NDS] Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2 ( Bandai ) { 2005-12-01 } - 42,280 / 313,505
[NDS] Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden ( Bandai Namco ) { 2011-02-03 } - 29,732 / 89,911

Nice debut overall. It might have legs thanks to the anime.

casiopao

PS4 won't get a boost until the games actually arrive.

It's like people have amnesia with regards to what happened to the PS3 last gen. Announced games that are years away don't do much. Even if they are from some of Japan's biggest IPs.

Yup. That's the main problem with PS4 here.T_T

FF 15 will probably.....come 2016??? KH3......2018? I can't even imagine when FF7HD will even come out here.

Wii U's boost with Splatoon is impressive, not even Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros, the system's biggest prospects, managed to do that. Nintendo really needs to invest into new audiences.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I thought I'd do a recap of new Japanese game announcements (where both the publisher and developer are Japanese) from E3.

Three notes first:
1.) This is a Western focused show, so I wouldn't hit the panic button over a lack of third party 3DS titles.
2.) I didn't source what I put in here, but if you want sources for anything in particular, feel free to ask.
3.) Please point out anything I missed. I tried to stick overwhelmingly to new announcements.

Square Enix:
-Nier 2 (PS4): This is the one game of their three new titles (WoFF, FF7R, Nier2) that uses the word "exclusive" when referring to platform, so I suspect there was a fair amount of support thrown in by Sony. It's externally developed by Platinum. The game sounds pretty far off.
-World of Final Fantasy (Vita/PS4 First): Based on the press release description, this is a Pokemon competitor. The press release is titled "Collect, raise and battle iconic monsters for the first time in world of Final Fantasy". Square Enix and Silicon also announced it runs on the Orochi 3 engine, which to my understanding doesn't support 3DS or Wii U, so if it's coming to a Nintendo platform eventually, it would be the NX. It appears to be internally developed. It releases in 2016.
-Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS4 First): It sounds like an enhanced remake. Next update is in the Winter so we can put this down as not coming for a while.
-Final Fantasy 7 Port (iOS/PS4): They announced that Final Fantasy 7 is getting ported to iOS this Summer while announcing a delay in the PS4 port until Fall.
-"Project Setsuna" ("consoles"): Your guess is as good as mine. It's a new studio making a new IP RPG that's supposed to harken back to older times and they seem to be using Unity as an engine (so probably not regular 3DS, but everything else is at least hypothetically possible). Their game releases in 2016.

Capcom:
-They showed a new VR demo on Morpheus called "Kitchen" that is apparently on a newly made engine. I don't think this is a game so much as a tech demo.

From Software/Bandai Namco:
-Dark Souls 3 (PC/XB1/PS4): So Miyazaki mentioned this isn't the last Dark Souls game, but Namco thought it was, so I'm guessing they're just going to self publish the next one or renegotiate their contract or something. It seems to have a Microsoft marketing deal given the conference it debuted at and that they showed it off on Xbox One afterwards, but I doubt it applies to Japan. This is a Q1 2016 release.

Sega/Atlus:
-They announced a Hatsune Miku VR demo running on PS4, but again, this was a tech demo and not a game.

Konami:
-Hahahahaha

Nintendo:
-Star Fox (Wii U): I'll count this as an announcement since we didn't really have a handle on it before. It's offline and it's made by Platinum. I'm guessing it's a budget title, but I could be wrong. Coming this year.
-Project Guard (Wii U): I can't quite tell what this is yet? A tower defense game? Platinum is also working on it. Online is more of a focus here. Unsure when it's releasing. Sorry about the lacking description on this one.
-Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (Wii U): It's Mario Tennis. You're probably familiar with this. Out this Fall.
Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Wii U): This is a party board game, but what's most notable is that it *requires* you own one Amiibo per player. I think this is the first notable title that's true for. Coming this Fall.
-Zelda: Triforce Heroes (3DS): Multiplayer focused Zelda game kind of like Four Swords, but derived from ALBW. Out this Fall.
-Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS): It's the new Mario & Luigi RPG x Paper Mario x Minigames. Out Spring 2016.
-Hyrule Warriors (3DS): This is a port/rework of the Wii U game onto 3DS with characters from Wind Waker. Made by Tecmo Koei. Out Early 2016.

Sony:
-The Last Guardian (PS4): I'll count this as a re-reveal given it moved platforms. It looks like Ico for the most part. Out 2016 (maybe).

Kickstarter:
-Shenmue 3 (PC/PS4): Sony seems to be partially funding this, but obviously so is GAF. I'm guessing they will help distribute it in Japan when it comes out the other side of forever.

Overall:
-This E3 was pretty embarrassing for Japanese publishers overall, especially in terms of new announcements, but really in most ways you look at it. Arguably one of the worst if not the worst showing ever.
-Sega, Capcom, and Konami didn't even show up with any new games. Koei Tecmo's presence was pretty minimal, but I don't really blame them for that given many of their games aren't self published.
-Bandai Namco had a pretty sparse line-up of one new game and even that was a game they help another company publish.
-Sony continues to show they're barely a Japanese publisher.
-Nintendo had the most games, but it was less than we usually expect out of them. However, it seems they're about to replace both the 3DS and Wii U with NX, so this was mostly expected.
-Square Enix was definitely the star here, presenting a strong line-up of titles from both their Western and Japanese divisions (assuming they ever get them out the door). They're the only publisher who came with Japanese content that felt like they were actually trying to compete with the other big companies at the show. I didn't even list games like Kingdom Hearts 3 re-revealing or their other line-up of existing titles like Star Ocean or FF14's expac and localizations like Bravely Second or Dragon Quest Heroes.

Oregano

Just one note but it looks like Nintendo might be publishing Bravely Second, not SE.

I'm still disappointed SE aren't localising their 3DS stuff.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Thanks for the recap, Nirolak.

Vena

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Wii U): This is a party board game, but what's most notable is that it *requires* you own one Amiibo per player. I think this is the first notable title that's true for. Coming this Fall.

You can't buy AC:AF without amiibo. It comes with at least three cards packaged, and the 60$ bundle stateside is 2 figures, the game, and a pack of cards (4+1 special).

Seems like the game itself is ~20$ if that.

duckroll

.....is this sarcasm? It should be like?^_^

Nah. We'll be seeing a lot more of KH3 from now on. They'll probably be announcing new worlds at every major event - TGS, D23, etc. By next year they should be ready to announce a release date. It's moving fast.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
They announced stuff last week.

Oh I know. I meant take advantage of the bigger venue at E3 to hype this game up even more. It's been pretty obviously a runaway hit for them, and I think some acknowledgement that they will continue to support it for a long time to come will get even more people to hop in.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nah. We'll be seeing a lot more of KH3 from now on. They'll probably be announcing new worlds at every major event - TGS, D23, etc. By next year they should be ready to announce a release date. It's moving fast.

You think it'll come out prior to FFXV?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," he said.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

RG0BS1U.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's possible it's just a typo/translation error. Still, I don't see what's so surprising. It's entirely possible they'll release the NX portable form factor next Holiday, and the NX home form factor in 2017.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's possible it's just a typo/translation error. Still, I don't see what's so surprising. It's entirely possible they'll release the NX portable form factor next Holiday, and the NX home form factor in 2017.

I'm confused how it could be a translation error given the context.

Like I wouldn't expect someone to sit there in 2009 going "If we started for Wii now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's 3DS console." because the handhelds aren't normally seen as equivalents of the consoles.

Mory Dunz

Things legitimately seem to be going well post-engine-switch and the scope of a game like this is smaller than something like Final Fantasy XV. I don't think it's off the table.
I'M skeptical about this.

I don't even believe the game was started in 2013 since that trailer was spliced from the DDD cg and some random traverse town stuff.

And I think they're going to do another remaster DDD cut scenes I think to fully catch things up.

I'm still saying 2018 or later.

Top Bottom