• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2017 (Jul 31 - Aug 06)

I never said it would be cheaper to buy it here just that you could. If I want something so bad that I am willing to send my fuking grandparents to stand in line for me I it would have to be something really important and I would be ashamed as fuck. That is not how I threat my family especially if there are alternatives that sure might cost you a a bit more but will work.

I'm sure the grandparents weren't forced at gunpoint. And traveling to another country is hardly an alternative.

I'm sure the grandparents weren't forced at gunpoint. And traveling to another country is hardly an alternative.

I am sure they were not but the idea to send your grand parents to stand in line for you even once for a fucking console is insane... to do it for months is just.... WTF

Even if my grandparents would say that it was ok I would not let them do it for me unless there were any other choice. It did not believe japanese people was so cheap that paying 100-150$ more for the console is such an impossible task to instead do such a thing.

Looking up average salary in japan it does not seem as such a monumental achievement to work and grab those extra money since they are almost the same as here in Sweden but I bet we pay more tax.

http://www.worldsalaries.org/japan.shtml

vareon

I am sure they were not but the idea to send your grand parents to stand in line for you even once for a fucking console is insane... to do it for months is just.... WTF

Even if my grandparents would say that it was ok I would not let them do it for me unless there were any other choice. It did not believe japanese people was so cheap that paying 100-150$ more for the console is such an impossible task to instead do such a thing.

Looking up average salary in japan it does not seem as such a monumental achievement to work and grab those extra money since they are almost the same as here in Sweden but I bet we pay more tax.

http://www.worldsalaries.org/japan.shtml

Um that is assuming a lot from one photo. Let's not jump too further into conclusion and judge other people's decisions based on this.

Absurd suggestions like traveling to another country aside, it would probably be decent PR if Nintendo sent those grandparents a free Switch.

Normal
People don't actually fly to another continents, just to get a video game console, right?

Off course not but like I said I would do it ten times over before I asked my grandparents to stand in line for me every week for several months. I thought for it to be that bad it was literally impossible to get one. Not 100$ more expensive from a scalper bad.

KtSlime

Off course not but like I said I would do it ten times over before I asked my grandparents to stand in line for me every week for several months. I thought for it to be that bad it was literally impossible to get one. Not 100$ more expensive from a scalper bad.

Dude, the kids are about 6 and 2, the whole family is out, they bring the grandparents out shopping with them and they can improve their odds, they were likely going to go out shopping anyway since there is a culture of going out shopping on the weekends here since the mid 60's.

Edit: Here is the segment from とくダネ,

https://youtu.be/5snhgvau2S4?t=1h4m45s

Um that is assuming a lot from one photo. Let's not jump too further into conclusion and judge other people's decisions based on this.

And the text accompanying the photo said they were standing in line for their grandson and been doing it since may or did I get that wrong?

And the text accompanying the photo said they were standing in line for their grandson and been doing it since may or did I get that wrong?

It doesn't however say anything about the grandchildren demanding that the grandparents do this for them. For all we know they offered to do it, because I dunno, they love their grandchildren?

You're being awfully judgmental of complete strangers based on very little information.

notaskwid

Japanese make good money, I'm surprised the kid didn't take a trip to Australia or Sweden instead of dragging his grandfather out of the pachinslots or trafic control tbh.

casiopao

Umm guys. It can be that the grandparents had tons of free time that they actually wanted to buy something to give present to their grandchild right?

I mean, it is not even hard queing for some lottery number and then return in evening or afternoon to check whether u win or not lol.

It is literally like Loto lol. And those saying buy in Europe. It is damn expensive compared to jp lol. If u had the same product sold in ur country for much cheaper price, and u dont have any urgency to get them, why not just enjoy the queue lol.

KtSlime

Japanese make good money, I'm surprised the kid didn't take a trip to Australia or Sweden instead of dragging his grandfather out of the pachinslots or trafic control tbh.

Most parents don't feel comfortable letting their children travel overseas until they are 10. He'd have to wait a little while...

Seriously, I can't believe that Killroyskbg hasn't ever said he wanted something hard to get and his grandparents didn't try to help him get it, that's what many grandparents *LIVE* for - helping their grandchildren.

casiopao

Most parents don't feel comfortable letting their children travel overseas until they are 10. He'd have to wait a little while...

Seriously, I can't believe that Killroyskbg hasn't ever said he wanted something hard to get and his grandparents didn't try to help him get it, that's what many grandparents *LIVE* for - helping their grandchildren.

I would even said, Japanese tourist usually only goes to certain countries which for them fill their categories like clean, safe and not noisy aspect lol.

So, it is hard to picture them visiting a country only to buy Switch lol.

KtSlime

Kids cant queue during school time though lol.(or is it obon right now)

I would even said, Japanese tourist usually only goes to certain countries which for them fill their categories like clean, safe and not noisy aspect lol.

So, it is hard to picture them visiting a country only to buy Switch lol.

It's summer vacation now, and obon. Yeah, Sweden and Australia are definitely popular travel places, however to go there just to buy a console is unlikely.

I dont know , my country recieves a lot of japanese tourists and is neither clean, safe or not noisy, I guess being able to visit ancient ruins beats not having that.

Ōkami

Here's an easy three step guide on how to purchase a Nintendo Switch in Japan.

DHU7g9EXcAExhRO.jpg

If this happens in step one, don't get mad.

D.Lo

The Japanese also love gambling, and in this case you only have to pay if you win! Best day at the races ever!

casiopao

I dont know , my country recieves a lot of japanese tourists and is neither clean, safe or not noisy, I guess being able to visit ancient ruins beats not having that.

Now u are making me curious on what is ur country lol. As i always remembered that 3 factors when talking about japanese tourist lol.

The Japanese also love gambling, and in this case you only have to pay if you win! Best day at the races ever!

Most Asian bruh.

There is reason why Macau, Genting and Singapore is flourishing lol. That sweet sweet gambling muney.

Don't they have to pay the import tax when they bring it into their country?

If it is like my country, they can just scrap the box and act like it is a used thing so no tax at all.

Why would people come from Hokkaido? I was in Sapporo a couple of weeks ago and while no stock, the stores did sell them, I read one sign about pre-orders. I guess if they don't have lotteries you can't get one 'on the day' and just go on a waiting list.

I came from Brasil to get one.
half-truth

Normal
People don't actually fly to another continents, just to get a video game console, right?

Eeh...I'm perfectly normal.

Don't they have to pay the import tax when they bring it into their country?

Yes, we have. Here most things electronics are taxed, even if sometimes paying the taxes is cheaper than buying it here, there are people who try to get away without paying and if they are caught they pay more.

Alrus

The idea that Nintendo is so incompetent that they shipped hundreds of thousand of Switches to small markets like Australia and Sweden is hilarious so I'm assuming this is sarcasm.

oti

Banned
Even Japanese media is too stupid to understand that this is just artificial scarcity by Nintendo to generate buzz and sell more consoles. Thankfully some uber smart posters on here have not fallen for Nintendo's spell. They know the truth.

maruchan

your right, i would also bet its some nostalgia shit, when they went to see if they got into the school of their choice.
celebrating-good-grades.jpg

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Even Japanese media is too stupid to understand that this is just artificial scarcity by Nintendo to generate buzz and sell more consoles. Thankfully some uber smart posters on here have not fallen for Nintendo's spell. They know the truth.

If they could they would have done that for the Wii U, or the 3DS in beginning.

I know this is hard to admit, but it's not artificial at all man.

Top Bottom