• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2017 (Jul 31 - Aug 06)

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
After all the "Nintendo contacted Capcom early", "Capcom convinced Nintendo to increase the RAM", "RE7 engine runs on Switch" talks, now we get "Capcom ain't get shit for Switch". Seriously, what happened? I'm confused.
It seems to me that that they had little resources dedicated to the console from the onset. I would imagine they're green-lighting ports/etc now, but we probably won't start seeing them till next year. In other words, Capcom is late to the party as usual.

Though it does seem odd, considering how instrumental they were in the Switch's final specs.

Bruno MB

Though it does seem odd, considering how instrumental they were in the Switch's final specs.

Is that even true? because I seriously doubt it.

Also Nintendo Switch will be ok without good initial Capcom support. Nintendo systems have never relied on third party companies. Monster Hunter exclusivity helped Nintendo 3DS but without Monster Hunter the system would have also been extremely successful. Anyway, this is pointless talk as Nintendo Switch will undoubtedly get a proper Monster Hunter mainline title, just patience,

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Seems possible that quote might have been overstated a bit? I agree it was definitely portrayed as this big deal, but seems possible it wasn't as big a request/out of the ordinary as we think.

Eolz

Capcom is one of the rare companies they trust in terms of hardware feedback.
It's perfectly possible that they asked their opinion on it, Capcom gave their feedback, and Nintendo just assumed they had more games in the pipeline (Capcom had USF2 ready quickly after all).

And we all know how Capcom is slow to react by now, let's see how it goes in the coming months...

Vena

And we all know how Capcom is slow to react by now, let's see how it goes in the coming months...

My point is more that they are now being out-reacted by companies that have *never* acted.

Are they that strapped thin on resources that they can be outside by NIS? We're not even talking new games here, we're talking about ports of ports of remasters.

Anihawk already noted how even the Rev1/2 port looks like a rushed response. In lieu of everything else as well, it just shows that they basically had no planning at all and are playing a rushed and ill planned/timed game of catch up with a moving target.

This would have been a valid excuse two to three months ago. Other publishers have already shown that, at this point, you can already show signs of transitioning and support from Japan. NIS has gone from 0 to 60 after D5. Capcom's response to SFII/Switch successes? Scrabble to announce a late port of a port of a remaster of a port.

Capcom's inability to do so is because of Capcom at this point. They not only would have had no confidence, the had zero planning of *any* kind. Zero.

Oh, I'm not making any excuses for Capcom at this point in time.

1*: [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 156.610 / 1.516.051 <80-100%>
2*: [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 670.955 / 887.978 <60-80%>
graph.png

This will be a fun chart to watch.

Eolz

My point is more that they are now being out-reacted by companies that have *never* acted.

Are they that strapped thin on resources that they can be outside by NIS? We're not even talking new games here, we're talking about ports of ports of remasters.

Anihawk already noted how even the Rev1/2 port looks like a rushed response. In lieu of everything else as well, it just shows that they basically had no planning at all and are playing a rushed and ill planned/timed game of catch up with a moving target.

I think their main issue is that right now, they are wary of any risk stuff, and are dominated by bureaucracy. Not a budget issue anymore for them, nor a lack of workforce/time...

Vena

I think their main issue is that right now, they are wary of any risk stuff, and are dominated by bureaucracy. Not a budget issue anymore for them, nor a lack of workforce/time...

Well, yes, this was what I posited earlier: are they that resource strapped.

This isn't even a "risk" question any more. This is just a matter of (a.) annoying a potential audience and (b.) missing/losing it. Late ports of ports of remastered ports is a great way to endear a potential audience, I hear.

... :p

noshten

This will be a fun chart to watch.

Should take a couple of months before Splatoon 2 overtakes the original.

In terms of stock, to the surprise of no one it does seem Japan was prioritized for the Splatoon 2 launch. US got a modest boost while Japan just had the biggest restock since launch.
Now it's just a matter if they can supply enough for it to outdo the 3DS post price drop:

Code:
--------------------------
|    |    Nintendo 3DS   |   
|    |    (2011/02/26)   | 
|----|---------|---------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   | 
|  31|    4.132|1.310.288|
|  32|  196.077|1.506.365|
|  33|  105.639|1.612.004|
|  34|   60.781|1.672.785|
|  35|   54.744|1.727.529|
|  36|   49.076|1.776.605|
|  37|   58.837|1.835.442|
|  38|   70.159|1.905.601|
|  39|   58.504|1.964.105|
|  40|   53.540|2.017.645|
|  41|   55.025|2.072.670|
|  42|   73.933|2.146.603|
|  43|   65.041|2.211.644|
|  44|  145.271|2.356.915|
|  45|  103.962|2.460.877|
|  46|   96.219|2.557.096|
|  47|  120.920|2.678.016|
|  48|  205.962|2.883.978|
|  49|  350.321|3.234.299|
|  50|  367.691|3.601.990|
|  51|  482,200|4,084,190|
|  52|  197,952|4,282,142|

Kyoufu

Weeks away from a defunct remaster, and months before the struggle of a multi million franchise.

Do you want me to drop a pin to my location?

I didn't know Capcom only made one game at a time.

You should drop more than just a pin. Gonna need a flare at least.

casiopao

I didn't know Capcom only made one game at a time.

You should drop more than just a pin. Gonna need a flare at least.

.......except for MHW which had chances of doing great in the west.....i dont see them having any big sales title at all lol.

test_account

XP-39C²

General question, what is Anihawk's connection to Capcom or the gaming industry?

Haven't been so active this week, but looking back into the thread, I couldn't find the Day One Sellthrough figures. Did I just miss it or aren't those public (yet)? Really interested in The Snack World numbers.

hiska-kun

Haven't been so active this week, but looking back into the thread, I couldn't find the Day One Sellthrough figures. Did I just miss it or aren't those public (yet)? Really interested in The Snack World numbers.

Since Friday was a national holiday Media Create was off and didn't send the report to subscribers (so the usual blog couldn't leak the sell-through).

Maybe he will leak something a few hours before the numbers come out.

Ninferno

Haven't been following the Japan Switch situation for a while but saw this fresh from this morning's TV news:

In Tokyo this morning, 3000 people lined up for a lottery of 105 Switches.
3000for1054cslf.jpg

There are people coming all the way from Hokkaido.
kokaido8gsi1.jpg

There are grandparents joining the line on behalf of their grandchildren, since May. (Dammit Nintendo, just give this old man a Switch already)
grandrxsaa.jpg

Whole family joining the lottery for increased chance.
family3zsvy.jpg

Reporter has visited 48 stores and none of them has Switches in stock.
48b7sig.jpg

This is quickly getting from funny to ridiculous to deeply concerning.

D.Lo

And that's with the (presumably) increased stock.

I wonder how many it could have sold by now if there was unlimited stock.

casiopao

Switch apocalypse lol. That oldman waiting since May is truly th3 example of when RNG hates u, it will truly hate u lol.

D.Lo

Why would people come from Hokkaido? I was in Sapporo a couple of weeks ago and while no stock, the stores did sell them, I read one sign about pre-orders. I guess if they don't have lotteries you can't get one 'on the day' and just go on a waiting list.

They should just take a trip to Europe over the weekend and bring some home and sell to make up the cost for the trip. Beats waiting in lines for several days waiting IMO.

KtSlime

Why would people come from Hokkaido? I was in Sapporo a couple of weeks ago and while no stock, the stores did sell them, I read one sign about pre-orders. I guess if they don't have lotteries you can't get one 'on the day' and just go on a waiting list.

From the interview he says that he was asked by an acquaintance from Hokkaido to enter into a lottery and try to pick one up for him/her, not that he is from Hokkaido. He could be from Hokkaido or not, the interview doesn't ask that question. However if he is from Hokkaido, it's not unreasonable to think he is in Tokyo for obon.

cvxfreak

That person came from Wakkanai (the northern-most city in Hokkaido), not Sapporo.

They should just take a trip to Europe over the weekend and bring some home and sell to make up the cost for the trip. Beats waiting in lines for several days waiting IMO.
Even in Europe they'll have to be careful while choosing the country. Haven't seen one around me for a good while (in Portugal). If a Nintendo console is sold out here (or close to it, in a Sony land), I can't imagine it being much different on many countries.

Even in Europe they'll have to be careful while choosing the country. Haven't seen one around me for a good while (in Portugal). If a Nintendo console is sold out here (or close to it, in a Sony land), I can't imagine it being much different on many countries.

Only place i ever see them in the uk is CEX (2nd hand shop) for about 70 quid more than rrp

And end up paying even more lol. U thought there is no mark up price there?

I dont know about how you feel but for me time is money. Waiting in line for some lottery for months or just simply work a few extra hours one week to pay for a flight ticket (about500$) grab 10 switches and sell them for 50$ extra at home.

Fisico

I don't know if it's intended to be funny but if not it needs to stop, it's not easy to find a Switch in Europe, and even if you do with the exhange rate it would be expensive for Japanese buyers.

For example if they manage to find it at 329&#8364; in store (which would be quite an achievement in many EU countries already) that makes 43.000 yens, it's barely below what scalpers are asking on Amazon right now

There are many other things terribly wrong with that idea so just let's stop there.

I dont know about how you feel but for me time is money. Waiting in line for some lottery for months or just simply work a few extra hours one week to pay for a flight ticket (about500$) grab 10 switches and sell them for 50$ extra at home.

Yeah you might pay 500$ for flight tickets, and have to wait in Moscow or Dubai for 8h for a connecting flight making it a 40h roundtrip, taking into account the time you'll have to spend once in Europe that's 3 full days wasted but time is money I guess.
Good luck buying 10 switch also, and even if you do you won't even be able to sell them for an extra 50$ as illustrated abve (not to mention that not being japanese devices most likely will bring down its value)

Also that way of doing things would make you a scalper

Switch is considerably more expensive in europe than japan and is still hard to find at normal price anyway (and probably needs a different plug) there really aint any profit in that idea

Come to Sweden. Almost every store on prisjakt (site to look up price and availability in different stores) and every major one have it available.

https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=3154603

My closest Media mark have never been out of stock (had about 50 or something the day after release). Was there last week and the same situation you can walk out with as many as u like.

Switch is considerably more expensive in europe than japan and is still hard to find at normal price anyway (and probably needs a different plug) there really aint any profit in that idea

I would see it as a profit to get a Switch by grabing a flight over a weekend compared to standing in line for days and waiting for months. And grabbing a plug is a huge problem? how about just buying a Japanese cable instead if that is such a problem.

How much does a switch cost in Japan?

D.Lo

I would see it as a profit to get a Switch by grabing a flight over a weekend compared to standing in line for days and waiting for months.
You don't wait for months, you turn up once a week/fortnight for 20-30 minutes. The line to get a wristband with a number isn't that long in many places. Then you do other shopping or whatever and come back at 2pm or whatever the scheduled time is and see if you won.

Switches are available above retail at various places in Japan, usually about $100 more than RRP on Yahoo, at least a few weeks ago. If you want one and are willing to pay, there are vasty easier options than flying overseas. It seems Japanese people are largely culturally averse to paying scalpers.

ggx2ac

1) Yen is weak compared to Euro.
2) Switch is more expensive in Europe, now add the weak ¥ to that and it's even more expensive.
3) Reselling stuff is a pain in the ass thanks to scammers.
4) Profit margins become much smaller having to resell Switch units sold in Europe compared to Switch units sold in Japan because competition would easily be able to undercut you.
5) Postage is very expensive and adds to the resell cost.

I'm really not seeing anything that comes out as a plus, since you didn't mention accommodation and food, I'm guessing you expect them to stay in a hostel and eat very cheap food to reduce expenses?

This still doesn't go over other things like paying for a passport if they don't have one already, having to make sure you know well where you are going to avoid scammers or getting mugged since tourists are common targets, etc.

Ōkami

I mean obviously, flying from Japan to Sweden is just so damn easy, the average Japanese has so much free time that just a few extra hours per week will be enough to afford a flight, and seen how worker vacations are such an easy thing within the Japan work force you'll be able to miss your job for a day or two with zero repercussions.

Getting whatever ammount of units back from Japan would be really easy, not as if Japan has any kind of customs and obviously you'll make plenty of money back, its not as if a new Switch in Europe is like 0.3 times more expensive than one in Japan.

I'm honestly surprised there aren't any Swedish Switch millionares from such an easy opportunity.

Probably because during the last couple of weeks there have been more Switches sold in Japan than in Sweden since launch.

But who knows!

Anywho, I haven't seen Famitsu put a notice, so I guess they'll be posting new data tomorrow, though maybe even later than usual.

I never said it would be cheaper to buy it here just that you could. If I want something so bad that I am willing to send my fuking grandparents to stand in line for me I it would have to be something really important and I would be ashamed as fuck. That is not how I threat my family especially if there are alternatives that sure might cost you a a bit more but will work.

horuhe

According to this article since splatoon released the price in japan is 400$+...?

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/07/15/nintendo-switch-prices-climb-high-in-japan-splatoon-2-release/

Or is it that amount you have to pay to get one and avoid the lottery?

That article refers to Rakuten, the largerst e-commerce site in Japan. But it's not really accurate, in the sense that the console is possible to find at its price point of 38,836yen for Splatoon bundle (tax included). The problem is that those are sold by Rakuten, so they can't sell them at higher prices, and those units are literally gone in "seconds" (not joking, here). But when they come from other sellers is when you see prices like these:

K-Style Matsudo at 54,250yen for Splatoon bundle(tax included)
Spec Union at 52,800yen for Splatoon bundle as well (tax included)

The worst part is that they are, indeed, on the best-selling products ranking, week after week, just below the units sold by Rakuten Books. So, people is able to pay that amount of money if needed, even though they are so averse to do that.

Nintendo should fly to Europe then take a train all over the continent buying up stock of Switch. 2 at some store in France, another 5 at another store in Finland. It'll add up. Then they can put them all on a boat and ship them back to Japan.

Top Bottom