• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2015 (Feb 23 - Mar 01)

I think its likely but i doubt DQ Heroes performance has anything to do with it - they decided the DQ 11 platforms a while ago and DQ Heroes is probably a result of that decision and not the other way around.
I know. I am just saying that Hori might be more confident of this decision now. We weren't sure what kind of sales a Dragon Quest release will achieve on PlayStation platform after years of absence.

It's pretty much S-E's best first week sales on consoles since FFXIII isn't it?

Bring on DQXI!

Actually you're right :D

can't wait for the PS4 versions to take over the Ps3 versions.

Sony should look at this case and try and replicate for Persona 5 and MGSV. Looks like MGSV is getting a PS4 LE.

46K hardware for PS4 on the week of DQH. I was really hoping for a higher, perhaps twice its number but it seems that was delusional on my part...

A few thousand shy of 600K is a solid number for DQH. It will likely do around 800K in Japan at this rate, maybe a bit more if it has a lot of legs. It looks like this game will definitely hit 1 million once it hits worldwide however. Was hoping for a higher PS4 software numbers than 235K but solid numbers nonetheless. It would be nice if PS4 numbers start to equal and then eventually beat PS3 numbers by the end of the year but it needs to sell more hardware. Which again brings me to 46K hardware on DQH release. :\

The LE was released during the holidays last year (68k on the week, 38k coming from DQ bundles) and I'm sure the steadily increasing PS4 sales from the beginning of this year was partly due to this game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is that confirmed? MC says it includes bundles, but are they including bundles sold in this week, or all the previously tracked bundle sales? Famitsu has PS3 at 311,277 and PS4 at 255,292, so the numbers are pretty similar. Is Famitsu including the previously sold bundles too?

Let's see what happened with Wii Fit U. Famitsu included the numbers for the bundles when the game released at retail.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763832

21./00. [WIU] Wii Fit U # <HOB> (Nintendo) {2014.02.01} (¥5.985) - 6.560 / 86.796 <40-60%>

But Famitsu also counted Wii Fit U bundle sales when the bundle launched.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710348

17./00. [WIU] Wii Fit U [Wii U Family Premium Set Black/White] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥34.800) - 5.683 / NEW <80-100%>

We don't know if Media Create did that too, since it was out of top 20, so no numbers.

Dengeki's take on the matter?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88918671&postcount=504

Debut week for the special bundle pack including Wii Fit U. Nothing here.

But when Wii Fit U debuted at retail

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100212716&postcount=481

Code:
| 27      | -         | Wii U | Wii Fit U                                           | Nintendo                     | 14/02/01     | 4,463           | 97,645          |

Also, the blog that leaked the 530,000 number has leaked other numbers in the recent past, all of them being pretty right on the money (Zelda's debut, One being at 300 in one week), so I'd say that the number is quite reliable.

Now, the fact that, when Wii Fit U bundles released, they appeared in Famitsu, but there was no appearance for DQH when the bundle released is probably because...Dragon Quest Heroes wasn't released yet, it was released in form of downloadable codes for a later code. Thus, it's possible the game sales from the bundle got included in the first week for Famitsu too.

nightever

This should put Japanese developers on notice. Time to really support the PS4. I want PS2 level support Japan.....DO IT.

Anyway, I think this is going to be a great year for Sony Japan. Bloodborne around the corner, FF Type-O HD, Metal Gear V, Persona 5......and those are just the big titles. Things are looking up.

Every single remaining console developer is supporting PS4 with their biggest franchise. You cannot expect more in today's industry.

duckroll

Sony should look at this case and try and replicate for Persona 5 and MGSV. Looks like MGSV is getting a PS4 LE.

I don't think it's a matter of one game though. Like I've been pointing out since last year, this Q1 window is the best time so far for a Japanese console consumer to buy a PS4. We have a month plus period where almost every week there is something significant coming out for the PS4, so if someone got a new system around the end of Feb, and takes 1-2 weeks to finish a new game, there'll be something new to buy and play continuously.

If they want to improve on this with subsequent releases, they need to continue having good momentum. It means big titles hitting within range of each other, along with a steady stream of smaller titles over the months. With MGS5 coming out in Sept, and Persona 5 not having a date yet, it seems likely that it'll be around the Aug to Oct period at the soonest, so that would be a good synergy between two popular Japan-centric titles. Now they just need 2-3 more around those few months, and it'll be a solid line-up leading into the holidays.

I know. I am just saying that Hori might be more confident of this decision now. We weren't sure what kind of sales a Dragon Quest release will achieve on PlayStation platform after years of absence.
It's Dragon Quest in Japan, even i, who has literally zero depth knowledge of sales data, knows that when it comes to Dragon Quest, the platform is not important.
I believe it could be DQ on a calculator and still would be the best selling game in its release week.

And if we predict the possible platforms by spinoff-sales, then the 3DS could still be the "winner" (or mobile phones ...).

But before anyone feels offended, i think DQ XI will be multiplatform, either 3DS/Vita (as both are the top selling platforms over there) or WiiU/PS3/PS4. This is a guess, not a prediction, not any insider knowledge!

The PS3 only sold around 35k during RE5 and Yakuza3 week, and those were huge mainline titles that were (pretty much) exclusive, back when consoles were healthier and mobile wasn't really a thing. To sell 46k off of a cross-gen spin-off is about as good as anyone could have ever possibly hoped for.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

DQ is still one of the biggest IPs in Japan i dont see why this game would have performed worse when it combines two of the most beloved IPs anyway. It sold about as well as expected for this kind of project hitting both systems.

Mainline games sell up to 3.5-4 million units and reach a broader market than PS3 or PS4 have access to. So if its not on 3DS, they knew from the get go that it would sell worse than it could. That didnt stop DQX hitting Wii either, so they are playing it safe with the console release this time if its single player focused PS3/PS4 title.

duckroll

Now, the fact that, when Wii Fit U bundles released, they appeared in Famitsu, but there was no appearance for DQH when the bundle released is probably because...Dragon Quest Heroes wasn't released yet, it was released in form of downloadable codes for a later code. Thus, it's possible the game sales from the bundle got included in the first week for Famitsu too.

I'm looking for confirmation though. It's fine to speculate, since this is a unique situation, but I was wondering if there was some official comment on it. I guess not. We'll have to wait until MC does their write-up on their site right?

Guymelef

Some?

It's one of the biggest franchises in Japan. If a DQ game couldn't make the PS4 sell nothing would have done it.

01./00. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix) - 305,254 / NEW

WII: 109,854 Last week: 75,279.

PS4: 46.139 Last week: 24.737

You do realize that 3DS was the go-to platform for Dragon Quest fans. The franchise hasn't seen a PlayStation release in a long time. There is no point in this comparison here.

If there are two things to notice after DQH's debut, these will be:
-DQ is still a highly relevant IP on traditional platforms.
-PS3 userbase is migrating over PS4, and that would be worrysome for a multi release that aim at selling +4m units (if a traditional game).

I don't think it's a matter of one game though. Like I've been pointing out since last year, this Q1 window is the best time so far for a Japanese console consumer to buy a PS4. We have a month plus period where almost every week there is something significant coming out for the PS4, so if someone got a new system around the end of Feb, and takes 1-2 weeks to finish a new game, there'll be something new to buy and play continuously.

If they want to improve on this with subsequent releases, they need to continue having good momentum. It means big titles hitting within range of each other, along with a steady stream of smaller titles over the months. With MGS5 coming out in Sept, and Persona 5 not having a date yet, it seems likely that it'll be around the Aug to Oct period at the soonest, so that would be a good synergy between two popular Japan-centric titles. Now they just need 2-3 more around those few months, and it'll be a solid line-up leading into the holidays.

I also think that would be the best idea even if it means the in between months are kind of barren. Just stack the holiday lineup instead of spreading a kind of thin lineup across lots of months.

Although, I was specifically referring to the DQH platform split with that comment. Iirc its the closest split for a Japanese franchise.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
-PS3 userbase is migrating over PS4, and that would be worrysome for a multi release that aim at selling +4m units (if a traditional game).

Please...was there really anyone doubting that DQ wasnt relevant or that big budgets spin-off shoot wouldnt sell ?

duckroll

I also think that would be the best idea even if it means the in between months are kind of barren. Just stack the holiday lineup instead of spreading a kind of thin lineup across lots of months.

Although, I was specifically referring to the DQH platform split with that comment. Iirc its the closest split for a Japanese franchise.

In a successful console transition, the split between the old platform and the new one should narrow as time goes by with the new platform eventually overtaking it, like we've seen with Vita and PSP. So while this is a good thing which many people are surprised by because of the pessimistic performance of the PS4 so far, in theory it should be a perfectly normal result for a system which isn't dead on arrival.

Fisico

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2015 (Feb 23 - Mar 01)
13./00. [PSV] Diabolik Lovers: Dark Fate # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.02.26} (¥6.264) - 7.263 / NEW

Famitsu Sales: Week 9, 2015 (Feb 23 - Mar 01)
06./00. [PSV] Diabolik Lovers: Dark Fate # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.02.26} (¥6.264) - 13.842 / NEW

That's a huge difference between the two trackers considering the sales.
Or maybe there's some collector edition outside of top 20 in Media Create (~4k) and Famitsu is combining the two SKU ?

As an anime game, how bad / good is that new FuRyu game selling? I admit I don't follow these threads for a while now so forgive my noob question.

94 - PSV To LoveRu Darkness: Battle Ecstasy 22,959 / 28,058

FuRyu's last anime game on Vita.

Doesn't look too hot to be honest.

Just my own personal opinion, but this game looked kinda cheap and shoddily made. Not too sure how popular the anime is either.

Salex_

If there are two things to notice after DQH's debut, these will:
-DQ is still a successful IP on traditional platforms.

Do you know their internal expectations? There's too many unknown factors to keep mentioning this 4m number. Price, DLC, micro-transactions, budget, etc.

BTW, japanltd only has one DQ game over 4m, which was on the NDS. 3 games sold 3m+ over 10 years ago. Is that correct?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm looking for confirmation though. It's fine to speculate, since this is a unique situation, but I was wondering if there was some official comment on it. I guess not. We'll have to wait until MC does their write-up on their site right?

So far we have the usually reliable leak from the blog (530,000) + MC stating they're including bundles, without any specification if they're counted bundles from December or just from last week...
Unless we find a site that collects each and every MC top 50, so we can see if Wii Fit U, back in February 2014, had the "bundle included" notification as well, I suppose we should still wait.

Spiegel

So far we have the usually reliable leak from the blog (530,000) + MC stating they're including bundles, without any specification if they're counted bundles from December or just from last week...
Unless we find a site that collects each and every MC top 50, so we can see if Wii Fit U, back in February 2014, had the "bundle included" notification as well, I suppose we should still wait.
The "bundle included" is not a good indication. Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 8 have the "bundle included" this week.

Every game with a hardware bundle has the "bundle included" no matter what week it is.

The leaked number is THE thing that points at all the bundles being included.

Do you know their internal expectations? There's too many unknown factors to keep mentioning this 4m number. Price, DLC, micro-transactions, budget, etc.

BTW, japanltd only has one DQ game over 4m, which was on the NDS. 3 games sold 3m+ over 10 years ago. Is that correct?

That's why I wrote "if a traditional game". Of course, this might not be the case and SQEX wants to implement other business models. Also, DQVII shipped 4m as well (and DQVIII reached 3.8m incl. best release).

Shaanyboi

Banned
Chû Totoro;154553161 said:
Wii U is in bad shape... hoping for Xenoblade to do a good push but not sure about it.

Good start really for DQH, PS4 numbers seems even more impressive to me.

3DS still selling quite well of course, portable gaming is best gaming and Japan knows it :p

Xenoblade won't do a damn thing for WiiU

Eolz

Chû Totoro;154562602 said:
Do you think Splatoon may be a surprise sucess? If not at least decent sales since it rely a lot on online it may die too soon :/

Not in Japan, but I can see that happening (relative to the WiiU obviously, not 1M+) in the west if well marketed.

Kandinsky

What did you expect? I expected something in the 40k-60k range, not only because the fanbase migrated to Nintendo systems but also because of the bundles which were sold last year, I guess the biggest DQ fans already bought that bundle.

90k, embarrassing on my part I know D:

Does the 4M+ number even hold any weight today? The last release of DQ that was more of a traditional game was DQ IX on the NDS, which was a software seller of its time. So I don't understand why you want 4M+ number from the newest entry (if there is one)?

We don't know any of the expectations set by SE so there is no point to talk about hitting any imaginary sales number yet.

Darius

Banned
Code:
PSV	|	2014	|	2015	|		
week 1	|	75.400	|	58.005	|	Down	23,1
week 2	|	32.016	|	22.327	|	Down	30,3
week 3	|	26.963	|	17.505	|	Down	35,1
week 4	|	23.290	|	15.580	|	Down	33,1
week 5	|	22.246	|	12.392	|	Down	44,3
week 6	|	18.282	|	10.573	|	Down	42,2
week 7	|	18.348	|	11.489	|	Down	37,4
week 8	|	18.240	|	35.934	|	Up	97,0
week 9	|	23.124	|	24.457	|	Up	5,8

duckroll

The "bundle included" is not a good indication. Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 8 have the "bundle included" this week.

Every game with a hardware bundle has the "bundle included" no matter what week it is.

The leaked number is THE thing that points at all the bundles being included.

Does this "leak blog" get Famitsu numbers or MC numbers? If they get Famitsu numbers, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since they have the total sales at 566k. There have certainly been more than 30-40k of the bundles sold before now, and more should have sold this week. Considering the jump in PS4 hardware sales, it's it more likely that the ~530k number (if accurate in the first place) just didn't count bundles sold last week?

Does the 4M+ number even hold any weight today? The last release of DQ that was more of a traditional game was DQ IX on the NDS, which was a software seller of its time. So I don't understand why you want 4M+ number from the newest entry (if there is one)?

We don't know any of the expectations set by SE so there is no point to talk about hitting any imaginary sales number yet.

That's why I wrote "if a traditional game". If DQXI will be a game sold similarly to previous mainline entries, then I would expect SQEX to aim at 3.5-4m (also considering notably higher development costs).

Spiegel

Does this "leak blog" get Famitsu numbers or MC numbers? If they get Famitsu numbers, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since they have the total sales at 566k. There have certainly been more than 30-40k of the bundles sold before now, and more should have sold this week. Considering the jump in PS4 hardware sales, it's it more likely that the ~530k number (if accurate in the first place) just didn't count bundles sold last week?

Not sure what numbers they get.
But do we know if the bundle was widely available last week? I don't think the bundle sold many units last week, or even if it was still available last week. I'm sure someone from Japan can tell us if those are still being sold.

595k - 530k would put the total bundle number at 65k. A good number for special hardware.

Iirc Crisis Core had 77777 hardware bundles.

Salex_

That's why I wrote "if a traditional game". Of course, this might not be the case and SQEX wants to implement other business models. Also, DQVII shipped 4m as well (and DQVIII reached 3.8m incl. best release).

A traditional 2015+ game includes those business models.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the other "I".

Top Bottom