• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2015 (Feb 23 - Mar 01)

duckroll

Not sure what numbers they get.
But do we know if the bundle was widely available last week? I don't think the bundle sold many units last week, or even if it was still available last week. I'm sure someone from Japan can tell us if those are still being sold.

595k - 530k would put the total bundle number at 65k. A good number for special hardware.

Iirc Crisis Core had 77777 hardware bundles.

Yeah I don't know the bundle availability either. Don't get me wrong, it makes sense if it's counted, but I think having actual clarification would be nice.

YoY comparisons are fun

Code:
Wii U	|	2014	|	2015	|		
week 1	|	51.271	|	30.331	|	Down	40,8
week 2	|	14.020	|	10.803	|	Down	22,9
week 3	|	11.443	|	 8.894	|	Down	22,3
week 4	|	 8.490	|	 7.088	|	Down	16,5
week 5	|	 8.072	|	 6.807	|	Down	15,7
week 6	|	 7.180	|	 6.517	|	Down	 9,2
week 7	|	 8.782	|	 7.007	|	Down	20,2
week 8	|	 8.407	|	 6.070	|	Down	27,8
week 9	|	 8.204	|	 6.606	|	Down	19,5

DQ is still one of the biggest IPs in Japan i dont see why this game would have performed worse when it combines two of the most beloved IPs anyway. It sold about as well as expected for this kind of project hitting both systems.

Mainline games sell up to 3.5-4 million units and reach a broader market than PS3 or PS4 have access to. So if its not on 3DS, they knew from the get go that it would sell worse than it could. That didnt stop DQX hitting Wii either, so they are playing it safe with the console release this time if its single player focused PS3/PS4 title.

What needs to be considered is that Square Enix want to broaden the franchises appeal in the global market. The room for growth is there, but it won't happen if the franchise is locked to 3DS, and it certainly won't happen on Wii U. Even if its multiplatform, DQXI will more than likely launch on at least PS4.

You've seen what games like Monster Hunter and DQ have done to spur luke warm sales of a console before. I see no reason why people are assuming that, because PS4's install base isn't currently that big in Japan, then it makes no sense to release the next game on the system.

How could a 3D game be on the PS4 and the 3DS and not look like shit? Please explain that to me, I'm not joking.

Ni no Kuni was PS3 and 3DS, so it could happen, maybe? But I haven't seen anything on the 3DS version.

duckroll

Something like Ni No Kuni or maybe even E.X. Troopers.

EX Troopers definitely looks like "shit" though. Honestly, so does Type-0 HD, and that's a significant upgrade. It's very telling that they're touched up versions of something made for lower end portable systems. Same goes with Peace Walker HD.

That's not to say they're bad projects, just that they're clearly held back significantly by the lowest end platform they were designed for,

Ni no Kuni is a case of making two completely different games. The DS version wasn't even developed entirely at Level-5. They outsourced a ton of development on it, while their resources were piled onto the PS3 version of the game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Not sure what numbers they get.
But do we know if the bundle was widely available last week? I don't think the bundle sold many units last week, or even if it was still available last week. I'm sure someone from Japan can tell us if those are still being sold.

595k - 530k would put the total bundle number at 65k. A good number for special hardware.

Iirc Crisis Core had 77777 hardware bundles.

It should be Media Create.

the blog leaked Xbox One sales in week 3 being at 300, which was what the console sold for MC (Famitsu had it at 531), Zelda's debut being between 230k and 238k (it was basically 230,000 according to MC).

Kyoufu

Well just so that we're clear, I don't think they'd go with 3DS & PS4 for DQXI and if they did, then the two games would be separate games like NnK was. I think if Hori intends on making it for consoles then it'd be a PS3/PS4 game. It's not like it'd bomb if it skips 3DS.

As others have already said, one reason to go with PS4 is the possibility of brand growth in markets outside of Japan. This is something which you'll see Persona 5 demonstrate.

A traditional 2015+ game includes those business models.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the other "I".

As far as I know, DQVII didn't have any micro-transaction (not even paid DLC), and the same for DQM games on 3DS. There are many recent SQEX games that incorporated micro-transactions and paid DLC but it's reaching to tell that those are a sizeable stream of revenues (see Bravely Default for example).

Well just so that we're clear, I don't think they'd go with 3DS & PS4 for DQXI and if they did, then the two games would be separate games like NnK was. I think if Hori intends on making it for consoles then it'd be a PS3/PS4 game. It's not like it'd bomb if it skips 3DS.

As others have already said, one reason to go with PS4 is the possibility of brand growth in markets outside of Japan. This is something which you'll see Persona 5 demonstrate.

That's highly debatable. DQ could "only" sell 1m in the West on successful platforms as PS2 and DS, that had plenty of jRPGs. A Sony-exclusive DQ will not also have Nintendo promotion, which was a key ingredient for DQIX success in the West. Then it might even be that Sony will publish and promote the game over here, but given previous record I'd not say it's likely.

saichi

Cross-gen big titles always help new console a lot. I don't know why people keep mentioning exclusive. .

"Why I need to buy a PS4 since I have a PS3" is not what consumer would think, people always want new toys.

Evidence so far shows otherwise in Japan.

This is something I'm really keen to see if it happens to Japanese devs and in which cases. We just recently heard DBZ XV having its best debut in the West. Also other parts of Asia can also be growth areas.

Takao

Banned
This is something I'm really keen to see if it happens to Japanese devs and in which cases. We just recently heard DBZ XV having its best debut in the West. Also other parts of Asia can also be growth areas.

I may have missed something, but wasn't that just the UK? Xenoverse isn't going to touch the PS2 games in the US.

Impressive. I wonder how PS4 sales will hold next week, 20-30k again?

If they can keep in the 20k range on weeks where there isn't a big release, they'll be doing well.

DNAbro

I may have missed something, but wasn't that just the UK? Xenoverse isn't going to touch the PS2 games in the US.

I feel like Xenoverse is probably be the best DBZ debut since ps3/360 launched. Just anecdotal though since a ton of my friends bought the game.

duckroll

It should be Media Create.

the blog leaked Xbox One sales in week 3 being at 300, which was what the console sold for MC (Famitsu had it at 531), Zelda's debut being between 230k and 238k (it was basically 230,000 according to MC).

Okay that makes more sense. We should find out for sure anyway once MC has the commentary up.

Kyoufu

That's highly debatable. DQ could "only" sell 1m in the West on successful platforms as PS2 and DS, that had plenty of jRPGs. A Sony-exclusive DQ will not also have Nintendo promotion, which was a key ingredient for DQIX success in the West. Then it might even be that Sony will publish and promote the game over here, but given previous record I'd not say it's likely.

I think you underestimate Sony's marketing power. They can actually be very effective at marketing via not just TV ads but events like E3 (a massive marketing tool today) and Gamescom as well as their new annual PSX event. They did a fine job co-marketing Destiny and if you look at all the success indies have had on PS4, it's because Sony is marketing those games too. I think it's also unfair to look at a brand's performance on PS2 and say it won't fare any better on PS4. Look at Persona and tell me if that brand hasn't grown tremendously since. I'm very confident that Persona 5 will see more success on PS4 in markets outside of Japan than Persona 3 and Persona 4 did on PS2. DQXI with the right marketing can be successful outside of Japan too, especially in today's market where the JRPG genre has become thin and dry with little competition.

Fisico

Could be N3DS + PS4, but if they're going with that just scrap the 3DS version altogether, userbase isn't that big.

Yeah sure 50 million big is not big enough, should be exclusive to the platform in Japan that will have an install base not even equal to half the sales of DQIX by the end of the year.

Takao

Banned
Actually, it was the Uk yeah. How much did the PS2 games do?

These figures are just for the United States:

PS2 Atari Dragon Ball Z: Budokai - 2.04 million
PS2 Atari Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 - 1.50 million
PS2 Atari Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 - 1.14 million

As of December 2007.

I expect Xenoverse to be the best selling Dragon Ball title since the PS2 era, but it's not touching those games.

Bringing it up in relation to Dragon Quest seems weird. Dragon Ball's Anglo popularity hit in the late 90s/early 00s at an audience primarily consisting of elementary school boys. Now is about time for that nostalgia timebomb to go off. Couple that with Kai still being on the air in many markets, a game on 5 platforms that promises "new" content and isn't terrible, and you get a recipe for success. None of that stuff is really relevant to Dragon Quest.

Yeah sure 50 million big is not big enough, should be exclusive to the platform in Japan that will have an install base not even equal to half the sales of DQIX by the end of the year.

N3DS has 50 million already? Where? Read again, I said that if they went with N3DS + PS4 they should just give up on the 3DS version since the N3DS userbase is small.

Pezus

YoY comparisons are fun

Code:
Wii U	|	2014	|	2015	|		
week 1	|	51.271	|	30.331	|	Down	40,8
week 2	|	14.020	|	10.803	|	Down	22,9
week 3	|	11.443	|	 8.894	|	Down	22,3
week 4	|	 8.490	|	 7.088	|	Down	16,5
week 5	|	 8.072	|	 6.807	|	Down	15,7
week 6	|	 7.180	|	 6.517	|	Down	 9,2
week 7	|	 8.782	|	 7.007	|	Down	20,2
week 8	|	 8.407	|	 6.070	|	Down	27,8
week 9	|	 8.204	|	 6.606	|	Down	19,5
It was fun while it lasted

I think you underestimate Sony's marketing power. They can actually be very effective at marketing via not just TV ads but events like E3 (a massive marketing tool today) and Gamescom as well as their new annual PSX event. They did a fine job co-marketing Destiny and if you look at all the success indies have had on PS4, it's because Sony is marketing those games too. I think it's also unfair to look at a brand's performance on PS2 and say it won't fare any better on PS4. Look at Persona and tell me if that brand hasn't grown tremendously since. I'm very confident that Persona 5 will see more success on PS4 in markets outside of Japan than Persona 3 and Persona 4 did on PS2. DQXI with the right marketing can be successful outside of Japan too, especially in today's market where the JRPG genre has become thin and dry with little competition.

I'm not underestimating anything, but what was the last time Sony marketed / published a Japanese third party game in the West? Nintendo is doing this on a yearly basis (Level-5 games, Square Enix games, Capcom games) and often quite successfully.

Also, DQ as we know it is a typically Japanese game that has a limited appeal in the West. It's not FF, which success over here is also based on graphics and a cinematic experience. I hardly believe a turn-based jRPG with Toriyama art-style could be one of the games Sony would like to present to those events.

As for Persona, that's a completely different story. Atlus built a loyal and faithful fanbase over the years, and still I doubt it will see an exponential growth thanks to PS4. There are many examples of IP that have flat sales, such as Tales of, or bombed / sold below expectations (tri-Ace games, Mistwalker IPs didn't do so hot either, FFXIII tanked after the first one).

Nintendo could've done that already, but didn't. The N3DS will get Wii ports at best, they would be crazy to throw the 50m userbase away.

Pezus

WiiU is down 28% YTD in Japan despite having its big guns (Smash and Mario Kart) out this year but not last year. The decline is real.

WiiU is down 28% YTD in Japan despite having its big guns (Smash and Mario Kart) out this year but not last year. The decline is real.

I believe the Wii U has hit its peak in Japan.

I don't see the console surviving very long past 2016 in the territory.

well the peak for Wii U in Japan was 2013

it's been in decline for a while now, I remember when there was hope for MK8+Smash to to keep it up YoY

I believe the Wii U has hit its peak in Japan.

I don't see the console surviving very long past 2016 in the territory.

2016 is going to be a very, very poor year for Nintendo if they don't have a new handheld ready for release at the end of this year. I think it could be their worst on record because they have staffed up and increased their fixed cost base, Abenomics is stretched to the limit and Nintendo's revenues have no upside left due to poor or negative hardware and software sales growth. Only a new system can drive revenues, so I hope for their sake they have one ready to go.

Busaiku

Nintendo could've done that already, but didn't. The N3DS will get Wii ports at best, they would be crazy to throw the 50m userbase away.

I agree that it'd be dumb to go New 3DS exclusive, but I think it would stupider to just drop a New 3DS game in favor of a PS4 exclusive, assuming there was ever a time they were going for New 3DS/PS4.
The main base for the game is, and always will be Japan. Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Quest IX only sold around 1 million outside of Japan, on the 2 most popular platforms ever. A PS4 game, regardless of how well the system is doing outside of Japan, is not likely to do much more than that.
In Japan, New 3DS has already surpassed PS4's LTD in a couple months, and it will likely stay ahead of PS4 throughout its life. The gap might get smaller these next 2 months, but outside of the big launches, New 3DS will likely continue to pull ahead.

Fisico

Could be N3DS + PS4, but if they're going with that just scrap the 3DS version altogether, userbase isn't that big.

N3DS has 50 million already? Where? Read again, I said that if they went with N3DS + PS4 they should just give up on the 3DS version since the N3DS userbase is small.

Wow, it may be me but I totally fail to see your point here, are you talking about New 3DS or 3DS or both at the same time?

Maybe you forgot a "N" in your original post which is what makes it confusing?

In any case I don't see any third party publishing a New 3DS only game.

Wow, it may be me but I totally fail to see your point here, are you talking about New 3DS or 3DS or both at the same time?

Maybe you forgot a "N" in your original post which is what makes it confusing?

In any case I don't see any third party publishing a New 3DS only game, it doesn't make sense.

I'm talking about the N3DS, the 3DS mention was just the brand. The only reason for developing a N3DS version is if they needed the extra raw power, because if the 3DS struggled with a PS3 game, a PS4 one would be terrible.

I agree that it'd be dumb to go New 3DS exclusive, but I think it would stupider to just drop a New 3DS game in favor of a PS4 exclusive, assuming there was ever a time they were going for New 3DS/PS4.
The main base for the game is, and always will be Japan. Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Quest IX only sold around 1 million outside of Japan, on the 2 most popular platforms ever. A PS4 game, regardless of how well the system is doing outside of Japan, is not likely to do much more than that.
In Japan, New 3DS has already surpassed PS4's LTD in a couple months, and it will likely stay ahead of PS4 throughout its life. The gap might get smaller these next 2 months, but outside of the big launches, New 3DS will likely continue to pull ahead.

I guess we'll see, anything now is just speculation anyway.

Kouriozan

How could a 3D game be on the PS4 and the 3DS and not look like shit? Please explain that to me, I'm not joking.

Ni no Kuni was PS3 and 3DS, so it could happen, maybe? But I haven't seen anything on the 3DS version.

Maybe that's why they released DQ X 3DS, they wanted to see how that would work and might use the same method for DQ XI if they decide to put the game on it.

Vena

Weekly Dump of Data:

FS7hKa7.png
V0ZX8H3.png
2aUxv12.png

The consistency of the 3DS YoY is almost amazing.

These figures are just for the United States:

PS2 Atari Dragon Ball Z: Budokai - 2.04 million
PS2 Atari Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 - 1.50 million
PS2 Atari Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 - 1.14 million

As of December 2007.

I expect Xenoverse to be the best selling Dragon Ball title since the PS2 era, but it's not touching those games.

Bringing it up in relation to Dragon Quest seems weird. Dragon Ball's Anglo popularity hit in the late 90s/early 00s at an audience primarily consisting of elementary school boys. Now is about time for that nostalgia timebomb to go off. Couple that with Kai still being on the air in many markets, a game on 5 platforms that promises "new" content and isn't terrible, and you get a recipe for success. None of that stuff is really relevant to Dragon Quest.

oh wow those are some crazy sales. I guess the closest thing to those kind of sales is Naruto ( UNS3 shipped 1 million in NA). My comment wasn't really in specific relation to DQ. Just curious on how the PS4's popularity will effect western sales of Japanese games and to what extent.

Still the growth that XV has shown from the PS360 era despite the anime series not doing much....what do you think its due to?

Fisico

I'm talking about the N3DS, the 3DS mention was just the brand. The only reason for developing a N3DS version is if they needed the extra raw power, because if the 3DS struggled with a PS3 game, a PS4 one would be terrible.

Well in that case ok.
The difference between 3DS and New 3DS isn't that big anyway, but they could very well do a 3DS game which run better on New 3DS or has better textures or some other visual improvements just like MH4U.

Takao

Banned
oh wow those are some crazy sales. I guess the closest thing to those kind of sales is Naruto ( UNS3 shipped 1 million in NA). My comment wasn't really in specific relation to DQ. Just curious on how the PS4's popularity will effect western sales of Japanese games and to what extent.

Still the growth that XV has shown from the PS360 era despite the anime series not doing much....what do you think its due to?

I don't think Xenoverse's success has anything to do with PS4's. The series historically pushes large numbers in the west.

Xenoverse is the right game at the right time. The Dragon Ball manga ended in 1995. "Complete" (RIP little Goku and GT) adaptations of that material have existed in video game form for more than a decade. The majority of Dragon Ball video games try to be faithful to that content. As the big console games are on an annual release cycle, you can imagine how tiring that can be. Xenoverse is one of the very few Dragon Ball games that is trying to do its own thing.

Dragon Ball is probably more active and alive in 2015 than it has been since the series originally ended.

Top Bottom