• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Erigu

No. Just heroism.
Nah, you also get new words to customize your emblem. Just the first time around for each outpost though. See the "words" section in that list for details.

Thats based on how you completed it
Pretty sure it's not.

The emblems aren't tied to outposts. They're tied to certain actions you do (CQC, Tranqs, Kills)
I believe you're thinking of the codenames you get when you complete missions. Those do unlock new emblem parts and words, yes, but that's something else altogether.

mcmmaster

So I just finished 45 & 46, are those the actual last story missions in the game? Is that really how the game ends,
the mirror smashing and a walk into smoke?

Really disappointing that episode 51 isn't in the final game, I find it odd that they'd actually show it off let alone admit their is a 51. What was shown from this special edition disc in general just seems like the kind of thing you'd see dataminers rip out of the game's disc, not be officially released by the company as all it does is add salt to the wound that we'll never get to play it and add closure to the story.

I can't believe I set myself up for disappointment, after the departing
of Eli, Mantis & Sahelanthropus I was saying at that point, "Well I guess theirs my final boss fight"... how silly of me.

repeater

So I just bought MGS5 for the PS4. Could someone advice me on what to do to get the least intrusive experience with all the infamous FOB and insurance business?
I read somewhere that you can just refuse the Online TOS? Does that sidestep the whole nonsense?

Chola

Banned
So I just bought MGS5 for the PS4. Could someone advice me on what to do to get the least intrusive experience with all the infamous FOB and insurance business?
I read somewhere that you can just refuse the Online TOS? Does that sidestep the whole nonsense?

FOB and insurance stuff is overblown, just play online. Playing online is a better experience, you get tons of GMPs, resources and staffs just for completing objectives and side tasks.

Nah, you also get new words to customize your emblem. Just the first time around for each outpost though. See the "words" section in that list for details.

Pretty sure it's not.

I believe you're thinking of the codenames you get when you complete missions. Those do unlock new emblem parts and words, yes, but that's something else altogether.
So there's no way to tell which one's you've done right? I guess a good rule of thumb is whether there are material icons there are not although I suppose I could have sneaked in, grabbed something and left without capturing the outpost.

FOB and insurance stuff is overblown, just play online. Playing online is a better experience, you get tons of GMPs, resources and staffs just for completing objectives and side tasks.

yeup. if you have a consistent connection, staying online and building up your FOB is quite rewarding. especially if you want to 100% the game

repeater

In what ways is it a better experience? What are the benefits?

On the bright side with the introduction of the Security Challenge thing more people focus on that instead of attacking FOBs that won't leave them open to retaliation, plus MGO3 is coming so more people will be paying attention to that instead of invading FOBs. I'm currently building my third FOB and didn't get anyone taking the opportunity for some relatively easy S/S+ staff and resources. Granted my security team being entirely made up of S-ranked staff with all the security settings might've been enough to dissuade people ton top of not getting any S++ staff. Then there's the events as a further distraction.

In what ways is it a better experience? What are the benefits?
benefits are mostly what he said. base leveling scales per level so it's a lot faster to get 2/4 platforms than 4/4 platforms, so in general you'll unlock items or field support faster in SP by upgrading MB and FOB at the same time. plus you can get rewards from the virtual battles, the challenge upgrades, or just FOB raids...

that said, most of it is just about items or field abilities, and those are just bonuses. I turn a lot of that off now... I rarely use field support abilities, and actually often use level 1 weapons just to make the game more fun. play with Marking Off too so some intel stuff is lost on me. so the "benefits" are a nice bonus but not really important.

"better experience" i guess is subjective. i think it made my experience a lot better at first because I think the FOB concept is pretty cool, and I liked having another base to build up. it helped make my resource gathering feel a lot more meaningful. it was just kinda cool, too. I like the general PF theme to FOBs.

that said, a lot of that was lost after the first few weeks once I beat the game, Konami started changing FOB upgrade balance, etc. which is all the more reason why FOBs 'best' moments are probably when you're still mostly in the single player between missions 20 and 40. when you're still immersed in the 'story' and in that 'honeymoon' period is when FOBs feel the coolest.

which is why i think it's not a good idea to try 'save' them because they longer you wait, the more SP (or roleplay, story) appeal they'll lose and the more end-game-y/grind-y they'll become.

Dice

After constantly shoving FOBs down my throat and me not wanting to do them, they say there is basically single player event FOBs but I don't see them anywhere. Great job, Konami.

After constantly shoving FOBs down my throat and me not wanting to do them, they say there is basically single player event FOBs but I don't see them anywhere. Great job, Konami.

it's under the FOB menu, events tab. it's an exclamation point i believe

Dice

There is no event tab. There is a shield with an exclamation point on it for the security challenge tab.

I'm almost through a new Snake Eater playthrough, first time in a long time, and as perfect as Hayter is for the sort of Bond-ness of it, whenever I try picture Hayter's voice with Venom Boss' face (I've even tried playing a video of Venom Snake talking but muted, with Naked Snake talking in the background) it feels weird... like a young joker's voice in a too-serious older man.

Give it a try. I'd be a cool project, actually; replacing all of Kiefer's lines with Hayter. Venom has so few lines that while maybe you wouldn't be able to replace the words spoken by Hayter, you could probably fit the lip speaking and breaks with different topics. I was listening to Naked Snake lecture Ocelot about "that's more of a revolver technique//you're pretty good" while Venom was lecturing Kaz that it's not about revenge haha was kinda funny.

Though Snake Eater in general is pretty funny. I forgot how many codec conversations always made me laugh. Snake and Para-medic are the best.

Darkone

Hey Gaf,

So I loaded up the game for the first time on PC threw steam, went to the graphic option but I could not increase resolution beyond 2560 X 1440, any idea why?
I do have a 4K monitor.

Hey Gaf,

So I loaded up the game for the first time on PC threw steam, went to the graphic option but I could not increase resolution beyond 2560 X 1440, any idea why?
I do have a 4K monitor.

make sure your 4K monitor is the only one hooked into the back of the GPU. what model monitor is it? what is the max resolution your monitor alone can reach in windows? I know these are basic questions but they are baseline questions for troubleshooting

Falchion

Just started playing this and I'm completely addicted right now. I love scouting outposts and then picking off the guys on the fringe and slowly making my way into the heart of the camp, fultoning everything in sight as I go.

Just started playing this and I'm completely addicted right now. I love scouting outposts and then picking off the guys on the fringe and slowly making my way into the heart of the camp, fultoning everything in sight as I go.

yesjacknicholson.gif

welcome to the fold

Falchion

Spent about an hour and a half slowly making my way through Mission 6 but I'm going to have to restart the whole thing because
I was too slow and the prisoner who had Intel on where the Honey Bee was got killed by the guards. I had no clue it was a timed thing but I'll make sure to get in the ruins a lot quicker next time.

Spent about an hour and a half slowly making my way through Mission 6 but I'm going to have to restart the whole thing because
I was too slow and the prisoner who had Intel on where the Honey Bee was got killed by the guards. I had no clue it was a timed thing but I'll make sure to get in the ruins a lot quicker next time.

You don't need to
save him to finish the mission
though.

I've just completed act 2 and got up to
smacking Eli for the second time
I really don't want to continue but I would love if someone share played me to the end I would love it!

Pm or add me on PSN I am SirShizznit

Pyrokai

I just want to say that I am currently playing Metal Gear Solid (PSOne) and enjoying it a lot. I'm playing it via the Legacy Collection.

This is the only MGS game I've ever played. Well, I did play Twin Snakes when it first came out but I don't remember, like, ANYTHING about it so I feel like I'm playing MGS1 for the first time all over again.....just with hideous (yet charming) visuals : p

Anyway, I'm really into the story and stuff. I glanced at the OP and everything, but it seems like these games take place in different years. What year does MGS1 take place in? Snake talked about "2002" as if it were the past.

After I beat this game, I was just gonna play MGS2, then MGS3, then MGS4, then Peace Walker, then MGS5. Is that a good order? I know nothing of the story for the other games....

By the way, I just got past the Sniper Wolf part of the game. No spoilers!

Falchion

Finished mission 6, the ending was pretty crazy.

Also I can't believe there are 50 story missions in the game. I felt like I blew through the last one but it still took me nearly 45 minutes and that was with skipping several outposts along the way. It's going to take a while to complete this one.

SJRB

Finished mission 6, the ending was pretty crazy.

Also I can't believe there are 50 story missions in the game. I felt like I blew through the last one but it still took me nearly 45 minutes and that was with skipping several outposts along the way. It's going to take a while to complete this one.

There really aren't 50 story missions, don't worry about it.

i'd do mgs3, portable ops, peace walker, then V (gz and tpp)

doing those 3 main ones before MGS V help a lot... especially the 2 PSP games. at the very least, the youtube movies should be required viewing. they both rather important to giving the player motivation about mother base and diamond dogs.

Pyrokai

i'd do mgs3, portable ops, peace walker, then V (gz and tpp)

doing those 3 main ones before MGS V help a lot... especially the 2 PSP games. at the very least, the youtube movies should be required viewing. they both rather important to giving the player motivation about mother base and diamond dogs.

Okay, thanks! Still thinking I will play 2 and 3 after this though, but I will probably play the PSP games before 4 and 5.

Is Portable Ops available anywhere other than PSP? Gonna research......

Dice

Assuming this is a joke :p
No I'm serious. The most perfectly paced and balanced game ever with the best learning curve on new concepts and testing skills in them to keep you on your toes without flying into bullshit. No padding so it's perfect for replay value, everything in the narrative and sounds and whatnot completely iconic. It's up there with SotN as a legendary game and the other MGS titles don't really live up to it IMO.

Top Bottom