• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

J.EM1

Exactly 6 months after buying this game on launch day, I finally logged online to develop my first FOB. lol (Got the Plat trophy too)

Tried the Bound Dragons Event and failed. But I did get a lot of rewards from that challenge task list.

repeater

So, without spoiling any story stuff, can someone please tell me if, after I've finished
Chapter 2
I get to continue playing with all my upgrades, researched weapons etc.? Or should I wrap up everything I want to get done in the game before finishing
Mission 46
?

So, without spoiling any story stuff, can someone please tell me if, after I've finished
Chapter 2
I get to continue playing with all my upgrades, researched weapons etc.? Or should I wrap up everything I want to get done in the game before finishing
Mission 46
?

you can keep playing, go for it

Oreoleo

Is it worth starting up FOB after beating the game? I don't want to get fucked over and lose all my shit.

The "losing all your shit" aspect of FOB's is totally overblown. Or at least, not really relevant anymore now that most people have moved on from the game.

While playing the game in January/February, racking up 100 hours of playtime and doing a healthy amount of FOB missions I got invaded all of 3 times, and lost MAYBE a half dozen soldiers. It's really not a big deal at all.

I can't even remember the last time I got invaded lol... Christmas break, I think (and I play almost daily but mostly free roam).

If you're 'PvP rank' is low or inactive, you'll basically never spawn as a random target for higher ranked active players.

Near the end of the game...
I have max bound with quiet and just finished episode 43. God I really wish I could shot Huey. I have a tape talking about a huey trial but it hasn't happened yet. Anything else needed to unlock episode 45? Or do I just continue doing side ops?

Also, is there a definitive answer on how to unlock episode 46? I think I did all the yellow sideops, listened to the yellow tapes and so on. I really don't want to fully upgrade MB though - I am constantly out of fuel and can't think of quick ways to load it up. I don't want to grind / fulton cargoes!

Also, just to reiterate what I posted in the spoiler thread :
Skullface long speech is one of the most nonsensical of the series.

Angel_DvA

It's been a while since we haven't talk about this Master Piece, some deep analysis are coming here and there, some are great some aren't but I want to share some of them:

Young Yea analysis:

Reanalysis: VGA 2012 Phantom Pain Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WatAHzRcjQ

MGSV: Ahab & Ishmael:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5tqfZY-D0c

MGSV: The Man Who Sold the World:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsVT1sqFdck

PythonSelkan analysis:

MGS5 Detailed 3-Hour+ Analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdSWQoL2Go8

DG retrospective:

English subbed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4fjtS_Etvk

Four our pleasure, let's talk a look at the best player around there :

BIG SARU:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVwiRCE41y11zIO1rKb9LA

Perfect Stealth:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_BWMSApsiMWXsINqSOzrA

Covert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hwi6Uh9dp8&list=PLbJtDoCj8iNHNX4YBi-DbAna16VOhEvHZ

Mvp GamerSKiLLz:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz4s93zu64t2jJEWPc2mMhg

LTWood12

Just diving into the game after all these months. Having an absolute blast. I've only done missions 1 through 3 and a few side ops. But I'm wondering what's really the best way to play the game? Should I go back and do all the side objectives in the missions I've already done?

If there's a guide people use I'd love a link to it. I'm not currently using one, but I imagine it would be useful for finding the collectibles out in the world. Thanks.

Just diving into the game after all these months. Having an absolute blast. I've only done missions 1 through 3 and a few side ops. But I'm wondering what's really the best way to play the game? Should I go back and do all the side objectives in the missions I've already done?

If there's a guide people use I'd love a link to it. I'm not currently using one, but I imagine it would be useful for finding the collectibles out in the world. Thanks.

the game is really long. i'd recommend not replaying missions or spending a ton of time on a lot of side ops, especially in areas you've never been to

yeah... basically, don't do anything that you're doing just for completionist sake. i mean, if you want to do a side op because it sounds like fun or you want to explore, experiment, whatever, then for sure do it. but don't do it just cuz you want to get 100%, cuz you think you'll miss it, etc. there is plenty of time to do it later if you want/need to, and it's better not to risk the burnout.

basically like gray ocelot says, it's a long game so just focus on whatever feels like fun. if you're not in the mood for a side op, don't do it. you'll have plenty of chances to do all of them later.

Sora_N

I finished Ground Zeroes bonus missions last night and I just finished playing the Prologue.

Ground Zeroes was okay, but the bonus missions were so funny and quirky. So much nostalgia and even the MGR nods with Raiden.

When I was playing MGSV Prologue, it felt really unsettling, scarier than something like TLOU. That was the mood.

Then suddenly combustionman and psychomantis girl shows up to try to kill Big Boss, and a giant phoenix shows up. Then I remember why I live and why I love playing video games.

Nothing made sense, and I can feel Kojima's style. I really liked the prologue.

I started chapter 1 but don't really have time to get into it, just wondering how long are the chapters roughly or do they vary? I heard/have a feeling that there's no more cutscenes and not much story left right?

I finished Ground Zeroes bonus missions last night and I just finished playing the Prologue.

Ground Zeroes was okay, but the bonus missions were so funny and quirky. So much nostalgia and even the MGR nods with Raiden.

When I was playing MGSV Prologue, it felt really unsettling, scarier than something like TLOU. That was the mood.

Then suddenly combustionman and psychomantis girl shows up to try to kill Big Boss, and a giant phoenix shows up. Then I remember why I live and why I love playing video games.

Nothing made sense, and I can feel Kojima's style. I really liked the prologue.

I started chapter 1 but don't really have time to get into it, just wondering how long are the chapters roughly or do they vary? I heard/have a feeling that there's no more cutscenes and not much story left right?

there are hours and hours of cutscenes, but they are spread out over a long stretches, especially the first half of the game of so. mission time varies greatly depending on how you play the game. as with ground zeroes, the first time you play a mission it could be 30-90 minutes long, so when you go 6-7 missions without any cutscenes it throws the pacing off

Angel_DvA

You can use this one, it's my favorite, this dude know how to do this quickly in the easiest way ( (S Rank/All Tasks/Perfect Stealth) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8o9k5ivVks&list=PLuQoXxpfYaSmVX_z_8pbF0__8A4SUhsba

Chojin

So my game freaked out.

KKIPC5g.png

Thankfully it was only temporary.

I guess when the game loaded it up it loaded up male skins on female models.

Here's a video of it in action

:O

Ban Puncher

I decided to buy TPP from the PSN for PS4 whilst it was on sale so I didn't have to use the disc any more.

Now when I start the game up it shows the company logos then goes to a 'Installing Game Data...' black screen with 30000+ seconds on the clock which slowly counts down then jumps up and down a few hundred every so often. It's been on this screen for a couple of hours now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm going to pick up this game after buying it at launch and not completing it.

I understand Konami changed this game for the worse. What advice do you have for me? Should I keep it in offline mode? PC version here.

Ban Puncher

Woke up and the game was on. Guess it just wanted 9 hours of alone time.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And for some reason it says I purchased 550 MB Coins but there is no PSN transaction or money deducted from my wallet.

You so mysterious, Metal Gear.

Coreda

So far this is the craziest Big Saru MGSV gameplay I have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLZ7GCCftDg

Skip to 13:20 for the start of the really good stuff.

His GZ runs are my favorites of the MGSV videos. The creative and unique payoffs for the same missions are rewarding and hilarious. Clinically accurate yet always with his trademark humor.

His expertise of the disarm glitches exclusive to GZ, guard behavior and weapon characteristics make for some great moments.

I'm having a blast with this game. Main missions make me way too anxious so I've been playing as many side ops as I can when they becomes available. I think I'm only through mission 8 (although mission 11 just sprang out of nowhere).

I actually prefer the side ops because of the low tension. There is so much room for error during the main missions that I get worn out trying to play them perfectly. Funny thing is, I never can get them to go perfectly. I always make one mistake that turns the mission from "sneaky snake" to "oh god, 37 hits taken, I gotta get the fuck outta here!"

Still though, I enjoy the metagame where it stands. I replay side ops simply to improve my facilities. There is certain equipment that I'm yearning to unlock so I just play towards unlocking them. It's nice to have purpose within a sandbox game.

Chola

Banned
I actually prefer the side ops because of the low tension. There is so much room for error during the main missions that I get worn out trying to play them perfectly. Funny thing is, I never can get them to go perfectly. I always make one mistake that turns the mission from "sneaky snake" to "oh god, 37 hits taken, I gotta get the fuck outta here!"

MGSV is the best stealth-action game ever, both aspects have been given equal importance. Just play it casually and roll with it when stuff goes down.

Some advice on a mission I'm currently on:

The mission is called Traitors' Caravan:

I get to the point where I have to extract the truck will all the zombie( forgot their real name) guys surrounding the truck. What's the best way to do it? Is it possible to kill them/knock them out then extract the truck? I've tried sneaking to the truck and fultoning it but it alerted them and they shot it down. I've also tried running to the truck and driving it away but didn't go far with that.

Edit: just had a quick read of this page and the previous discussing the mission I'm talking about!.

I managed to Fulton the truck but couldn't escape to the hotzone because of the skulls and they killed me; couldn't out run them.
I really hate this mission!

I think I'm going to place C4, then lure them to the spot and blow them up, seen this in a video.

Edit 2:

Spent close to three hours, approached the mission in different ways, even restarted but still can't do it. I've captured the base so there is no one else besides the skulls.

I will try a different method tomorrow which I also saw in a video.

Extract truck, they will obviously detect me, but once I successfully get the truck up I will run to the large fuel resource cargo containers and up I go with it :).

You have to hand it to kojima with the different ways to approach and complete each mission. Sure I was pissed off like anything trying to complete this mission, but that's going to change tomorrow when I complete it!.

I completed it! Done what I said and it worked in just a minute.

nns3d

quick question

i'm gonna cop a ps4 + mgsv soon and i was wondering if it was possible to transfer my save from mgsv on the ps3 to the ps4

Chola

Banned

I get to the point where I have to extract the truck will all the zombie( forgot their real name) guys surrounding the truck. What's the best way to do it? Is it possible to kill them/knock them out then extract the truck? I've tried sneaking to the truck and fultoning it but it alerted them and they shot it down. I've also tried running to the truck and driving it away but didn't go far with that.

Edit: just had a quick read of this page and the previous discussing the mission I'm talking about!.

I managed to Fulton the truck but couldn't escape to the hotzone because of the skulls and they killed me; couldn't out run them.

I think I'm going to place C4, then lure them to the spot and blow them up, seen this in a video.

Edit 2:

Spent close to three hours, approached the mission in different ways, even restarted but still can't do it. I've captured the base so there is no one else besides the skulls.

Extract truck, they will obviously detect me, but once I successfully get the truck up I will run to the large fuel resource cargo containers and up I go with it :).

You have to hand it to kojima with the different ways to approach and complete each mission. Sure I was pissed off like anything trying to complete this mission, but that's going to change tomorrow when I complete it!.

1. Call in helicopter
2. Distract the skulls with decoy or something
3. Fulton the truck
4. call D-horse to get away[Best buddy against tanks and skulls]
or
1. just use d walker

KOMANI

KOMANI

Edit 2:

The safe but long way of doing it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHiUgQKOfTU

It has been a few days and still getting errors connecting to the Konami server. On the plus side, load times are much improved when using the idroid. Error (10003).

D-dog is the best radar ever.

Also, I'm tempted to develop the stealth camouflage even with the handicap it comes with. I ain't getting anywhere near S rating on any of the missions so far. I'm fine with A or below for now.

kunonabi

Quick question I haven't been able to find an answer to:
Did all the nuclear weapons get disarmed on PS4?I'd like to see the cutscene without resorting to youtube but I don't know how.

Also, is it still possible to do FOB missions? There aren't any showing up aside from training and the event missions.

n0razi

Whats the best way to farm resources currently? I tried the mission 12 trick (grab 3 containers, grab plans to initiate save, go to ACC) but im guessing it was patched as the 2nd time around the boxes gave me like 50x instead of 5000x

Erigu

Whats the best way to farm resources currently?
I don't know if it's the best way, but personally, I farm Episode 30 (Skull Face). Sandstorm + stealth camo so I'm left alone, and I can grab all containers (plus some tanks, walker gears, mortars...) in five minutes or so. Then I hit a checkpoint and abort the mission. Rinse and repeat.

Zebroneath

Neo Member
I don't know if it's the best way, but personally, I farm Episode 30 (Skull Face). Sandstorm + stealth camo so I'm left alone, and I can grab all containers (plus some tanks, walker gears, mortars...) in five minutes or so. Then I hit a checkpoint and abort the mission. Rinse and repeat.

Didn't this get patched out in a recent update? I'm aware that if you try to fulton the same container over again, you receive a lot less resources than you normally would.

As for the best method to get resources, the FOB invasions through the Security Challenge tab give a hefty reward for a successful invasion. FOBs are not everyone's fancy, though, so if you opt out of it, fultoning lots of containers from free roam is the way to go.

Top Bottom