• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michelle Rodriguez talks about GameCube

Speevy

Banned
bitwise said:
you're comparing resident evil 4 to blinx? i don't get it.

To me, that's about the level of quality the RE series brings to the GCN lineup (sans RE4 pending reviews) compared with some other GCN games I've played.

lexi

Banned
All hope is lost if you're trying to legitimize Tomb Raider and FFX2 as some sort of empowerment to women. They aren't. I weep for the suffragette movement if they are.

I'm probably hella late to the thread, and this has probably been covered but isn't Michelle Rodriguez the chick that said how she was deep into "Heavy Metal Gear" cause it was off the hook or some bullshit?

Grubdog

Banned
This thread shows that while GameCube may be falling behind in sales, it's the console that everyone has an opinion on. Love it or hate it, it's guaranteed to supply drama.

lexi

Banned
Do The Mario said:
Have you played Blinx?

That’s a colossal insult to the RE series

All the Blinx hate :(

blinx.jpg

I BELIEVE

Speevy

Banned
Do The Mario said:
Have you played Blinx?

That’s a colossal insult to the RE series

Yes. My first Xbox game. I've also played RE and RE0, two games that any system could do without. I know some people love the games, but they're really outdated in terms of gameplay and unchanged in terms of terrible controls/camera.

Speevy

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Try C-Type.

I finished the game with C-type. It's still awful. There are some cheap scares to be had, but I've had more fun with the worst things Nintendo has published this generation, honestly. The RE series is quite possibly the most underwhelming group of games that exists. You just feel cheated when you're done with them.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:
I finished the game with C-type. It's still awful. There are some cheap scares to be had, but I've had more fun with the worst things Nintendo has published this generation, honestly. The RE series is quite possibly the most unsatisfying group of games that exists. You just feel cheated when you're done with them.

So you honestly think the RE games are the same standard as blinx?

Speevy

Banned
Do The Mario said:
So you honestly think the RE games are the same standard as blinx?

I'm not crazy. The games are completely different. But as complete failures they have something in common. At least Blinx was fresh and colorful.

Date of Lies said:
"They should get laid more"

Hey princess, maybe it's cause 'getting laid' for guys in general isn't as easy as spreading your legs. You know, the way you got those parts in movies.

OUCH, that one needs a fire extinguisher to put out.

adam20

SantaCruZer said:
She was a voice in Halo 2. Are you surprised that she likes xbox?

Edit: this thread will be another huge nintendo hate fest. :(

She was also a voice in Playstation 2 games. pzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzwneddddddd

adam20

XS+ said:
Dumbest comment ever. With games like MGS3, the "technical capabilities" of the Xbox are irrelevant. She notes the PS2 excels as far as games are concerned, which only begs the question, being she's a gamer, "What the hell else is there to worry about??"

Uh the power of the xbox allows for more ambitious games genius. Some PS2 games cant even overcome a sense of low resolution. A few big projects for PS2 does not make technology irrelevant. Pfft.

adam20

olimario said:
She is biased and uninformed.
Obviously on MS payroll for more than Halo 2.

And wow... She really is a cunt. Worse than Mina.

yup someone who likes both ps2 and xbox is a MS whore. Whatever. But yes mina is a bitch =). Un-human even.

Amir0x

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
Females enjoy Dead or Alive as well for many of the same reasons.

The women aren't very realistic in figure and looks, and are usually flaw-less and well kept, and young, but they're very much the same image females see in movies. Females also aren't as concerned about looking at other women in that way. Men don't look at other men in games and go "Oh his body's TIGHT!" or "He's good looking" (And are straight" but women make similar comments about other females.

If I wanted to pick out games in which genders were equal, I'd be at a loss, because I can't think of many.

I would like to express my disagreement with a few things here.

a.) First, Dead or Alive (especially as it has come to on the Xbox format) is a lot about T&A. T&A watching is not exactly a national female past time, nor is it empowering to females. Sure, these females are beating people up... but they're doing it in such a way where it's clearly fanservice to the men, not the girls. I'm not suggesting that females don't play or like Dead or Alive, but to say it's "empowering" is just false.

The Abominable Snowman said:
No, but they depict empowered females in a non-cutesy, non-juvenile manner. They don't depict small, diminuitive human beings with an overload of pink, white and blonde.

b.) Uh, especially in the case of FFX-2... yes it does. Are you insane? They don't depict females as NON-CUTESY or NON-JUVENILE? What fucking game were you playing, because it wasn't FFX-2. In the game, Rikku prattles on about everything from hair styles to what clothes she's wearing to how "totally awesome" Yuna sounds. She does this all in a dim-witted, all-too-blonde fashion that not only paints the horrible picture of bubblegum minds and pop princesses, but also showcases a female with all the intelligence of a wild ape. Nothing about Rikku is anything other than juvenile. If you try to make an excuse that she actually is a juvenile, you're missing the point entirely.

There's Yuna, whose sole motivation is the hopeless pursuit of a dream - not even a reality - of a man she once loved. This pathetic, unrealistic display of timeless love does everything but showcase empowerment. Yuna fights a lot, and she shoots things... but most of the time she has to be pushed along by her "cute little buddies" in the JEM squad, and in the end she doesn't display enough confidence in her qualities as a lady to even move forward as someone who actually did love her would want.

And of course there's Paine, the self-obsessed, almost gothic wrist-slasher, whose own motivations aren't exactly koscher. All that gel in her hair clearly did something to her personality, because even when everyone around her is having fun she's sitting in a dark corner fingering herself to the thought of times past. She displays a fundamental inability to move forward, and the only thing she can do is fight - a brute, almost adrodynous character who might as well be a man.

At best, and I do mean at best, FFX-2 empowers females in the same way Charlie's Angels does - sure, you can kick ass, but make sure you do it in a way that men can masturbate over it.

cvxfreak

Speevy said:
Meh. I just don't see it. Maybe it's because I didn't play them until this generation. But I doubt it.

Well, RE games aren't for everyone, and they never will be (well... I guess RE4 can break into that mold).

Docwiz

Banned
Nintendo fans getting owned. Nothing new here. Happens at least every other day.

Hear that cry? That's the cry of another Nintendo fan getting owned
and trying to get revenge.

Amir0x

Banned
Docwiz said:
Nintendo fans getting owned. Nothing new here. Happens at least every other day.

Nice try at a troll.

Unfortunately, you failed. You get an F.

JayFro

Banned
ManaByte said:
Don't even start trying to bash Snoop Dogg. Snoop Dogg makes ANYTHING instantly better.

If you add a pirate, ninja, monkey, midget, or Snoop Dogg to anything and it's better than it would be without one of them.

Catwoman would've been the best movie in the world if it featured Snoop Dogg and monkey ninjas along with midget pirates.

Drop it like its hot....drop it like its hot!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Docwiz said:

Your words hurt us.

depressed.jpg

Amir0x said:

a.) First, Dead or Alive (especially as it has come to on the Xbox format) is a lot about T&A. T&A watching is not exactly a national female past time, nor is it empowering to females. Sure, these females are beating people up... but they're doing it in such a way where it's clearly fanservice to the men, not the girls. I'm not suggesting that females don't play or like Dead or Alive, but to say it's "empowering" is just false.
Females enjoy DOA probably because females play the main role in the game, story and all. Have you Not heard all the accounts, by males on this forum and females, about DOA? You could say that DOA has aspects that appeal to males and females, but to dismiss DOA as not being appealing to females in many ways is just ignorance. You're looking at half the issue. As that celebrity girl said on G4TV.com (The show) "I love DOA3 because the girls kick so much ass".

b.) Uh, especially in the case of FFX-2... yes it does. Are you insane? They don't depict females as NON-CUTESY or NON-JUVENILE? What fucking game were you playing, because it wasn't FFX-2.
At best, and I do mean at best, FFX-2 empowers females in the same way Charlie's Angels does - sure, you can kick ass, but make sure you do it in a way that men can masturbate over it.

I meant aesthetically. This isn't Barbie-like or Powerpuff Girls-like we're talking about. They don't have some eternal lasting blush and lip balm.

Again, you could say it has appeals to both genders. It does overdo the girly factor, and has barbie-like centerfolds as the main stars, but it is done in the pseudo way that perhaps females CAN sort of identify with them. Even though they're depicted as bubblers in the game, they're communicated in a way in which perhaps some females could identify with them. Who knows. As males, neither me nor you know for sure. We'd have to ask females, and you know how rare they are on the internet. :lol

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Ok I'm not actually going to read all of this thread, but she seems like just another stupid-ass that doesn't have a clue speaking her own opinion. Since she's a celebrity people actually listen for whatever reason. That's it. Whatever she has to say is fucking useless.

impirius

What the... ? Five pages? Anyone care to recap what happened here?

There's probably nothing I can say that hasn't been said in five pages anyway, so here's a jig:
jig.gif

Jr.

Banned
Actually one of my ex girlfriends loved DOA2 on teh Dreamcst because she would own me so badly it wasn't even funny! I'll never understand how or why. She didn't care that the girls were half naked and flopping around all over the place... It's A Video GAME!!!!

shuri

Banned
Amir0x said:

I have yet to meet a female that wasnt totally interested/amazed by the doa games. They all fucking like the Volleyball game since it had very Sim-ish elements with the whole dressing up and unlock new costumes deal. They seem to like the fighting games since they are easy to pickup and the female characters are all (relatively) strong women archetypes. And one of my last girlfriend was totally into doa2 dc also.

Dunno why, but everytime I had bunch of people over, the doa games were always the prefered games, and the girls who duke it out in doa3 for quite a while; that is until we removed the controllers from their hands to play some tony hawk

It's not empowering, its just funny. And theres nothing "sexy" about 3d characters. It's just hilarious that they are so perfectly shaped, and that is all. It's the whole gimmick of the game, the "hot" girls. That is all.

It's like some adoloescent trying to get a rise out of the parents by just spewing any ignorant garbage which pops into her head. Plus, the language she's using is typical. Sounds like what some crack addled 12 year old would say sitting on the playground. "like Yo's that XBOX has some of the hot-hotz in tha tech, yo, but the PS2 has the games. Gamecube is the kidz stuff, yo". As a guy who owns all three systems I can honestly say that I think each is very worthwhile and each has its gems. Listening to her speak she just sounds like someone who is a tad inartuculate, maybe not a towering intellect if you catch my drift. She sure has a mean left hook, though, so don't call her a cunt.

Top Bottom