• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT|

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ok so it means that Phil is lying to the public about COD and PS or did they change their strategy
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

reksveks

Not directly related to the acquisition but still, Margrethe Vestager's the European commissioner for competition.

Yeah. This is an ongoing issue with Microsoft and they tried to make some half steps around trying to placate some of the complaints but basically ignored the bigger cloud service providers. I suspect that they may have to improve their offer and apply it for everyone including Amazon, Google and the big Chinese one.

reksveks

Ok so it means that Phil is lying to the public about COD and PS or did they change their strategy
At the time, don't think we had any specifics of the deal except Phil Spencer said something that alluded it was long term. Jim Ryan clarified it by basically telling us it was a 5 year deal (2 of which was already covered by the existing deal)

Then they have come back with a new deal after regulatory pushback.

Not really I actually work on one of those bases so I understand the importance of us being here. Then there's the fact that the UK is part of NATO.

Maybe your better off not thinking everything is about the console wars?

Anyways I thought my points about why the US won't invade Britain over a failed merger was pretty solid. Could you tell me why its poor?
It was a poor choice to counter him in the first place, as it's obvious his point is ridiculous and doesn't merit discussion in the first place.

But if you insist on debating the reasons why the US won't invade Britain. Then you're on the right track with the NATO bit. Them being one of if not the closest ally the US has, as well as the fact that wherever one of us goes, so goes the other, as well as the fact that the US was born from them are all better counters than simply "We have bases there".

DonJimbo

That's what they initially offered hoping there would be no issues with the regulators because of that preemptive offer. They then changed it when they had pushback and it was clear that deal was inadequate.

I don't believe the CMA accepts it either. Some pretty big concessions will be made to appease them.

At the time, don't think we had any specifics of the deal except Phil Spencer said something that alluded it was long term. Jim Ryan clarified it by basically telling us it was a 5 year deal (2 of which was already covered by the existing deal)

Then they have come back with a new deal after regulatory pushback.

Why would he? Such deals mean nothing since Microsoft can just breach it, pay the fine and move on. The only positive scenario for PlayStation is the deal being blocked or Microsoft being forced to divest Activision or Call of Duty.
Thanks guys
MS really overestimated themselves this time after the easy acquisition of Zenimax
I hope they learn from this failure and collect themselves to finally release some first party titles and invest more in a wide range of genres from their studios and not rely only on acquisitions and Halo, Gears and Forza

Last edited:
That’s not fair - MS did go one step further and commit to putting all their AAA content out day and date on GP.

That’s not the innovation though.

The innovation is making that commitment, and then not releasing any AAA games…
Well... MS did also introduce the ability to download games as well, which Sony promptly copied.

It doesn't really matter which one came first or who copied who though. Because however similar they might have been, only one was ultimately successful. The other failed to gain more than a few million subscribers and ended up being thrown into Sony's other service plan... which they also copied from MS.

It was a poor choice to counter him in the first place, as it's obvious his point is ridiculous and doesn't merit discussion in the first place.

But if you insist on debating the reasons why the US won't invade Britain. Then you're on the right track with the NATO bit. Them being one of if not the closest ally the US has, as well as the fact that wherever one of us goes, so goes the other, as well as the fact that the US was born from them are all better counters than simply "We have bases there".

OK now I understand you. Thought you were saying my points were bad. Your right it was dumb to respond to that argument in the first place.

We have bases in many countries that are a part of NATO. Italy, Spain, Germany and the UK are the ones that I know of. We also work with the Netherlands and Poland. All of those are countries belonging to NATO. If it wasn't for NATO to begin with, we probably wouldn't have bases in those nations to begin with.

"We have bases" does seem like a dumb argument but there's a reason why they are there in the first place.

Thanks guys
MS really overestimated themselves this time after the easy acquisition of Zenimax
I hope they learn from this failure and collect themselves to finally release some first party titles and invest more in a wide range of genres from their studios and not rely only on acquisitions and Halo, Gears and Forza

Just look at their messaging from the beginning of the deal to where they are now.

They started extremely confident and were not worried at all. Heck they thought it would be a done deal. But their messaging now shows they are not sure of where this is going to go. They certainly underestimated the difficulty with this.

Just look at their messaging from the beginning of the deal to where they are now.

They started extremely confident and were not worried at all. Heck they thought it would be a done deal. But their messaging now shows they are not sure of where this is going to go. They certainly underestimated the difficulty with this.

microsoft probably knew there was a risk of the deal failing but thought they would have a good enough chance that it would be worth taking that risk. theres no way they thought it would be easy with no isses. its the biggest acquisition in their history. it was always going to be looked at very closely. some xbox fans though! i remember reading " the deal will go through with no concessions" anytime someone would even mention the possibility of there being problems. they were so confident and cocky about it in the beginning.

Last edited:
microsoft probably knew there was a risk of the deal failing but thought they would have a good enough chance that it would be worth taking that risk. theres no way they thought it would be easy with no isses. its the biggest acquisition in their history. it was always going to be looked at very closely. some xbox fans though! i remember reading " the deal will go through with no concessions" anytime someone would even mention the possibility of there being problems. they were so confident and cocky about it in the beginning.

Well it could be true that they knew it was going to be this difficult. But if they did I'm wondering why they haven't met the CMA requirements yet.

The concessions started off pretty minor but overtime they have gotten much bigger.

You’re really pretending he didn’t say what he said, huh?
He was saying “We’re the market leader and you’ll buy our product, we’re Sony. Work harder, plebe.”

I’m truly astonished how far some will go to excuse Sony’s obvious anti-competitive practices but be lazer focused on MS’s.

Yeah, that's not what he said. He said that he wants the consumers to find the PS3 so desirable, they would get a second job to get it, which is different to what you implied. Even I, for whom English is the third language, can grasp the difference. And how is setting up a price $200 to $300 lower than cost anti-competitive? Like many on forum boards, you use words that you clearly don't understand the meaning of, to describe situations that you fail to properly guage. If anything, producing an over-engineered piece of hardware, and bleeding money in the process, enabled MS to get the upper hand the first half of that generation. That's anti-competitive to you? Please explain...

Last edited:

Shakka43

Well... MS did also introduce the ability to download games as well, which Sony promptly copied.

It doesn't really matter which one came first or who copied who though. Because however similar they might have been, only one was ultimately successful. The other failed to gain more than a few million subscribers and ended up being thrown into Sony's other service plan... which they also copied from MS.
Technically, Sony didn't copy MS with PS+, it eventually became similar with the launch of the PS4. But at first PS+ was a very lite version of what Extra/GamePass have become today, you subscribed to the service and received a bunch of PS1 games plus 3 PS3 games a month, game trials and discounts, Then MS added the Games with Gold benefits to Live and the two services became pretty much the same feature wise.

Last edited:

I remember the quote, my friend...and it says exactly what I suggested: An innocuous statement touting the perceived value of the product by its maker; A product he believed consumers would covet and put money aside to buy...Unfortunately for him, many did not. I honestly never understood the fuss about this particular statement: Had the PS3 been priced above cost, I would have understood, but it was in the red for years. If anything, it almost sunk the group. What is clear, however, is that its design philosophy was quite badly approached...and by quite, I mean astonishingly.

Last edited:

jm89

They defintley underestimated it, this is probably retreading old ground but the financial time interviewed satya a year ago and this is what they said.

"But Nadella suggested that Microsoft should not need to make any formal concessions to win regulatory approval for the deal, because it would still be too small to have an anti-competitive impact."

Then they went from offering 3 year deal to a 10 year deal to offering nintendo a 10 year deal, and now they are blindly throwing the kitchen sink at it.

This is why we laugh at the people who say "it's all going according to plan"

They didn't just underestimate the regulators the underestimated sony who has outplayed them at every turn.

They defintley underestimated it, this is probably retreading old ground but the financial time interviewed satya a year ago and this is what they said.

"But Nadella suggested that Microsoft should not need to make any formal concessions to win regulatory approval for the deal, because it would still be too small to have an anti-competitive impact."

Then they went from offering 3 year deal to a 10 year deal to offering nintendo a 10 year deal, and now they are blindly throwing the kitchen sink at it.

This is why we laugh at the people who say "it's all going according to plan"

They didn't just underestimate the regulators the underestimated sony who has outplayed them at every turn.

The CMA though.

fish slap GIF

They definitely didn't expect that to happen. Like Nadella said they thought they only needed minor concessions at the most. Now the CMA is telling them to split COD from the company and that's one IP they don't want to lose.

Helghan

How did Sony outplayed them? This is the fanboy shit that people are so tired of. You're acting as if this was a 3D chess game. Sony just said they don't want this to happen, because it's not good for their platform and gamers. Wow what a move, Microsoft definitely didn't expect Sony to say that... Microsoft only miscalculated the response of regulators.

Last edited:
How did Sony outplayed them? This is the fanboy shit that people are so tired of. You're acting as if this was a 3D chess game. Sony just said they don't want this to happen, because it's not good for their platform and gamers. Wow what a move, Microsoft definitely didn't expect Sony to say that... Microsoft only miscalculated the response of regulators.

I think he's talking about Sony not accepting the deal and allowing regulators to state their conditions.

I can imagine it would be different if Sony accepted the first deal that Microsoft offered them.

Not trying to console war or act like a rabid fanboy. Not going to say Sony outplayed Microsoft but they made some good decisions regarding this.

jm89

Microsoft have been enticing them with deals, if sony did end up signing MS would effectivley take out the biggest oppostion to the deal. Alone it still wouldn't be enough as CMA isn't just concerned about sony, but it would neuter some of the CMAs PF. Sony rejecting MS desperate offers has got this deal to the brink, obviously regulators are the ultimate deciders but having oppostion has helped.

Last edited:
I feel like Hoeg doesn't have the same enthusiasm and stuff, def sounds a little different. Makes me sad what happened.

I know he had a stroke. But then again this situation has been pretty intense. I'm not surprised he's a bit bummed out right now either due to his recovery or trying to explain all this madness.

Gone

I talked about this before and I'll talk about it again

The CMA decision to stop what should be a good deal for at least half the users is still amusing to me.

So what if few of playstation users decided to move to the other platform because their offering is better? Isn't that the whole essence of competition?

The idea that, me (a Gamepass subscriber) shouldn't have CoD and other Activision games on my subscription service because Sony doesn't want to sacrifice their 70$ a game business is baffling, In what world is that protecting the consumers?

X-Wing

I talked about this before and I'll talk about it again

The CMA decision to stop what should be a good deal for at least half the users is still amusing to me.

So what if few of playstation users decided to move to the other platform because their offering is better? Isn't that the whole essence of competition?

The idea that, me (a Gamepass subscriber) shouldn't have CoD and other Activision games on my subscription service because Sony doesn't want to sacrifice their 70$ a game business is baffling, In what world is that protecting the consumers?

What users are you referring to?

noise36

In what world is that protecting the consumers?
In a world where CMA/EU/FTC have said that Sony completely dominating MS is the natural order of things and they dont want it disrupted.

MS lowering the cost and increasing the accessibility of gaming are the bad guys, arrogant Sony building up the walls of their garden and moneyhatting content are the heroes.

lol... So which group of "gamers" would benefit from the acquisition in ways that wouldn't be possible without the acquisition?

All gamers who can now access the same content at a lower cost.

Its like paying $5 for each rental at the video store or getting all of them for $5 per month.

Last edited:

X-Wing

In a world where CMA/EU/FTC have said that Sony completely dominating MS is the natural order of things and they dont want it disrupted.

MS lowering the cost and increasing the accessibility of gaming are the bad guys, arrogant Sony building up the walls of their garden and moneyhatting content are the heroes.

All gamers who can now access the same content at a lower cost and on more platforms.

Its like paying $5 for each rental at the video store or getting all of them for $5 per month.

Funny, since Microsoft is lowering the cost by moneyhatting a business model in which they try to be loss leaders.

That’s not fair - MS did go one step further and commit to putting all their AAA content out day and date on GP.

That’s not the innovation though.

The innovation is making that commitment, and then not releasing any AAA games…
Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Psychonauts 2, MS Flight Simulator, Pentiment. Just this generation.

At least 3 1st party games this year.

The Hyperbole is getting to be a bit much.

Gone

lol... So which group of "gamers" would benefit from the acquisition in ways that wouldn't be possible without the acquisition?

Lol, they would pay much less for the same games. Isn't that better for the consumers the CMA pretend to care about?

Microsoft have been enticing them with deals, if sony did end up signing MS would effectivley take out the biggest oppostion to the deal. Alone it still wouldn't be enough as CMA isn't just concerned about sony, but it would neuter some of the CMAs PF. Sony rejecting MS desperate offers has got this deal to the brink, obviously regulators are the ultimate deciders but having oppostion has helped.
The CMA is about to approve the deal on MS's promise not to wall up CoD for 10 years. The CMA will not be blocking this, and the FTC definitely cannot win this in court.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Again, Microsoft can negotiate that with Activision, that doesn't require an acquisition.
Because Microsoft as a company exists to make decisions based how it will effect playstation gamers right?

While an aquisition makes business sense for them, keeping gamers not in the Xbox ecosystem happy is their No.1 priority.

Satya Nadella wants be remembered as the CEO that allowed a company to have an 80% dominance in a market stay that way for the foreseeable future.

X-Wing

Because Microsoft as a company exists to make decisions based how it will effect playstation gamers right?

While an aquisition makes business sense for them, keeping gamers not in the Xbox ecosystem happy is their No.1 priority.

Satya Nadella wants be remembered as the CEO that allowed a company to have an 80% dominance in a market stay that way for the foreseeable future.
What does any of that shizzle have to do with the argument the other person was making?

Top Bottom