• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Fuchsdh

Where were you planning on sticking the ice luge, Rikui?
EDIT:

1.10 Snapshots are up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/4jwkep/minecraft_snapshot_16w20a_110/

Interesting stuff to me is new mobs (zombie/skelly variants + polar bears), villages now generating in new biomes, and a few new block types; bone blocks might be a cheap option to supplement or even replace quartz, and look to have less of an edge to them so they might look nicer in certain circumstances. Magma blocks damage you if you walk over them and emit low light. Still wishing for a super lantern. Cool stuff, hopefully we don't have to wait a year to experience it :)

No there's a site where you use your coordinates (which you find using F3) to find Slime Chunks.

I made my Slime Den larger and no Slimes have spawned since ;n;
Couple things you could try:

1. Make more platforms in the slime chunk so there are more opportunities for them to spawn.

2. Light up as many surrounding caves as you can find so they won't take up potential mob spawns.

3. Pillar up at least 128 blocks above the slime farm. This will despawn all mobs outside that range and then when you go down, the slime area will be some of the first spawnable space in range and more likely to spawn.

4. Do the same as above but just run 128 blocks away and then run back and check for spawns.

5. Make sure you aren't too close to the farm while doing other work because mobs won't spawn within 24 blocks of the player unless it's from a mob spawner block.

EDIT:

1.10 Snapshots are up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/4jwkep/minecraft_snapshot_16w20a_110/

Interesting stuff to me is new mobs (zombie/skelly variants + polar bears), villages now generating in new biomes, and a few new block types; bone blocks might be a cheap option to supplement or even replace quartz, and look to have less of an edge to them so they might look nicer in certain circumstances. Magma blocks damage you if you walk over them and emit low light. Still wishing for a super lantern. Cool stuff, hopefully we don't have to wait a year to experience it :)

Some of that stuff is very cool, and it looks like the simple, little things that were easy to make and that people wanted. I'm more interested in the structure blocks, as that could be great for rolling out new features faster. In the mean time, fleshing out biomes and adding mob variants have been much requested and long overdue, so I'm super glad to see the direction 1.10 is headed.

Couple things you could try:

1. Make more platforms in the slime chunk so there are more opportunities for them to spawn.

2. Light up as many surrounding caves as you can find so they won't take up potential mob spawns.

3. Pillar up at least 128 blocks above the slime farm. This will despawn all mobs outside that range and then when you go down, the slime area will be some of the first spawnable space in range and more likely to spawn.

4. Do the same as above but just run 128 blocks away and then run back and check for spawns.

5. Make sure you aren't too close to the farm while doing other work because mobs won't spawn within 24 blocks of the player unless it's from a mob spawner block.

Oooo thank you for the tips!

So to update: I used the Slime Chunk Finder to try and locate a chunk near my farm/home island, and I actually found one really close. I dug down to 40, checked the coordinates on the finder, and went to town digging out an entire square. I made it 3 high, checked back periodically, but nothing was spawning. So I did some digging and what do you know, a massive chasm was not far from my Slime Farm. So I went through and lit it up with as many torches as I could, went back to my Slime Room, and bam! a Giant Slime! I killed it and collected its drops and then never saw another one. I decided to stand in the middle of the room and turned my sound on (I play at work so I often have volume either muted or very low) and sure enough, I could hear the sounds of a Zombie coming from somewhere.

So I started digging again and what do you know, several floors below my Slime Room was another massive cave system. So I ran through it and lit it up like crazy. Still no Slimes spawned so I thought, let's follow the suggestions Brian Griffin gave me.

I haven't gotten around to doing 1 yet, I'm in the process of doing 2 (blew through all kinds of debris and now my Slime Room is connected to the Zombie Cavern below it), but 3 is giving me pause.

Because Struggle Island 2 is a Water World, I don't actually know if I can dig up 128 blocks from where my farm started because I'm probably going to hit water. Or does "pillar up" mean make a Slime Room that's more than 128 blocks deep, and then do the jump + stack under yourself move to go up 128 blocks from whatever level the floor of the Slime Room is? In which case I have a LOT more digging to do hahahaha.

Should I fill in the caves that surround my Slime Room as I dig, or is it enough to simply cram them full of torches to keep stuff lit and prevent other mobs from spawning? And either way, how far out from the walls of the Slime Room should I go?

Thanks for all the advice!! This is my first time ever making a Slime Farm (or any kind of mob farm, actually) and it's a lot of fun even though it's gonna take a loooong time I'm sure.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
EDIT:

1.10 Snapshots are up.

Oooh, I really like that new nether wart brick, time to start farming up tons of nether wart!

Some good things for 1.10 so far, not a bad start.

Oooo thank you for the tips!

So to update: I used the Slime Chunk Finder to try and locate a chunk near my farm/home island, and I actually found one really close. I dug down to 40, checked the coordinates on the finder, and went to town digging out an entire square. I made it 3 high, checked back periodically, but nothing was spawning. So I did some digging and what do you know, a massive chasm was not far from my Slime Farm. So I went through and lit it up with as many torches as I could, went back to my Slime Room, and bam! a Giant Slime! I killed it and collected its drops and then never saw another one. I decided to stand in the middle of the room and turned my sound on (I play at work so I often have volume either muted or very low) and sure enough, I could hear the sounds of a Zombie coming from somewhere.

So I started digging again and what do you know, several floors below my Slime Room was another massive cave system. So I ran through it and lit it up like crazy. Still no Slimes spawned so I thought, let's follow the suggestions Brian Griffin gave me.

I haven't gotten around to doing 1 yet, I'm in the process of doing 2 (blew through all kinds of debris and now my Slime Room is connected to the Zombie Cavern below it), but 3 is giving me pause.

Because Struggle Island 2 is a Water World, I don't actually know if I can dig up 128 blocks from where my farm started because I'm probably going to hit water. Or does "pillar up" mean make a Slime Room that's more than 128 blocks deep, and then do the jump + stack under yourself move to go up 128 blocks from whatever level the floor of the Slime Room is? In which case I have a LOT more digging to do hahahaha.

Should I fill in the caves that surround my Slime Room as I dig, or is it enough to simply cram them full of torches to keep stuff lit and prevent other mobs from spawning? And either way, how far out from the walls of the Slime Room should I go?

Thanks for all the advice!! This is my first time ever making a Slime Farm (or any kind of mob farm, actually) and it's a lot of fun even though it's gonna take a loooong time I'm sure.
"Pillar up" just means the jump + stack thing as a means of getting really high in the air so everything below you will despawn. If you are under water this could be a problem but you can use ladders to create an air pocket on your pillar and stack it up to the surface and beyond until you are the right distance away. Since it's a water world, 128 blocks above the surface should guarantee all mobs below are despawned. From there jump back down into the water and back into your farm.

You don't need to fill in caves, just light them up. Hostile mobs will spawn at light level 7 and below (also checkable with F3 where is says "block" light) so make sure as many caves are lit up around the farm as possible. Before you do this though I'd work on #1 and make more platforms in the chunk as far down as you can go. 128 block radius is a lot of area to dig through to find caves so I wouldn't put too much time into this unless building more platforms doesn't work. That is, unless you like caving.

Here's a slime farm design that you could shoot for it you really want to go big. I think the layers have 3 blocks in between them which is apparently enough space for them to move. I thought it was 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6awA9olZLRc&feature=youtu.be&t=6m47s

JamesAR15

My sons 5 and autistic and just getting into gaming. I'm giving him a PS3 this weekend and thinking about buying him Minecraft, do you guys think it will be suitable?

I know kids are crazy for this game but I have literally never played it.

He's still getting used to 3d games with camera controls but has been doing well at platformers like Shovel Knight.

Any advice is much appreciated.

My sons 5 and autistic and just getting into gaming. I'm giving him a PS3 this weekend and thinking about buying him Minecraft, do you guys think it will be suitable?

I know kids are crazy for this game but I have literally never played it.

He's still getting used to 3d games with camera controls but has been doing well at platformers like Shovel Knight.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Absolutely, it should be great for him. :)

I've started to try my hand at doing decoration builds and so far I'm really happy with how it's turning out. That fact that this whole area was solid gravel and stone when I started is pretty cool.

o96UDLy.jpg

Mengy

I've started to try my hand at doing decoration builds and so far I'm really happy with how it's turning out. That fact that this whole area was solid gravel and stone when I started is pretty cool.

Wow Brian, that looks damn awesome. Good work there!

Looks great! :D My only suggestions is to add a few more flower types for a little bit more variety.

Wow Brian, that looks damn awesome. Good work there!

Looks great! :D My only suggestions is to add a few more flower types for a little bit more variety.
Thanks!

Yeah, those flowers are just what came out when I threw down some bone meal and since I'm in a Deep Ocean biome that's all I'm going to get. Since then I've spent some time flying around to collect other flowers from various biomes to improve it even more.

r_x2

While it may not be mending but I managed to find a Villager that trades Frost Walker II enchants for the cheap prices of only 1 book and 22 emeralds!

He's at Panda's Place aka the giant sugar cane farm at spawn
X-160
Y 71
Z-375

There are still some Librarians left that may get mending after some trades.
but I'm all out of paper, so fell free to trade them up :D

Fuchsdh

While it may not be mending but I managed to find a Villager that trades Frost Walker II enchants for the cheap prices of only 1 book and 22 emeralds!

X-160
Y 71
Z-375

Aside from dismantling Panda's place I've got plenty of sugarcane at my Fuchsbaum build.

X-160
Y 71
Z-375

I've got a villager selling Mending for 1 book and 18 emeralds as well as others selling some good enchants. They are up in the guardian monument on the floor above the spawning pools.

If you want to drop by but don't have the emeralds you can take rotten flesh and string from their chests on the chest wall and suger cane from the farm in the underground section to trade to their respective villagers. There are some free roaming villagers too that usually chill up by the doors on the roof if you need more dudes to trade with.

"Pillar up" just means the jump + stack thing as a means of getting really high in the air so everything below you will despawn. If you are under water this could be a problem but you can use ladders to create an air pocket on your pillar and stack it up to the surface and beyond until you are the right distance away. Since it's a water world, 128 blocks above the surface should guarantee all mobs below are despawned. From there jump back down into the water and back into your farm.

You don't need to fill in caves, just light them up. Hostile mobs will spawn at light level 7 and below (also checkable with F3 where is says "block" light) so make sure as many caves are lit up around the farm as possible. Before you do this though I'd work on #1 and make more platforms in the chunk as far down as you can go. 128 block radius is a lot of area to dig through to find caves so I wouldn't put too much time into this unless building more platforms doesn't work. That is, unless you like caving.

Here's a slime farm design that you could shoot for it you really want to go big. I think the layers have 3 blocks in between them which is apparently enough space for them to move. I thought it was 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6awA9olZLRc&feature=youtu.be&t=6m47s

Thank you so much!!

I pretty much copied that video and then discovered (extremely late in the game) how to change over to Creative Mode, so I flew all over the surrounding caves lighting the crap out of everything and my Slime Room works as intended now :D also found a Zombie Spawner, and two Cave Spider Spawners which are now DESTROYED. I wish I could ever find a Skeleton Spawner, or even a Creeper Spawner. I've at least seen a Skeleton one before but never a Creeper. Anyone?

Thank you for all the help!!

Thank you so much!!

I pretty much copied that video and then discovered (extremely late in the game) how to change over to Creative Mode, so I flew all over the surrounding caves lighting the crap out of everything and my Slime Room works as intended now :D also found a Zombie Spawner, and two Cave Spider Spawners which are now DESTROYED. I wish I could ever find a Skeleton Spawner, or even a Creeper Spawner. I've at least seen a Skeleton one before but never a Creeper. Anyone?

Thank you for all the help!!
Happy to help!

There are no natural creeper spawners but you can build a creeper only farm by carefully manipulating the available spawning space so that only creepers can fit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIfQaYJJQrw

However, those are mostly useful for feeding charged creeper farms. If it's just gunpowder you are after then a more general mob farm should do the trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA2siTV5s4Q

Does Minecraft support cross platform gaming? I have a PS4 and I would just assume most PS4 servers are empty and just the PC servers are packed.

Fuchsdh

Does Minecraft support cross platform gaming? I have a PS4 and I would just assume most PS4 servers are empty and just the PC servers are packed.

Not among the different console versions. I imagine you can find some populated PS4 servers, considering MC continues to sell like gangbusters on console.

Also, while cleaning up for packing I came across this blast from the past:

Early January 2013, when the server was young!

-Minsc-

Not among the different console versions. I imagine you can find some populated PS4 servers, considering MC continues to sell like gangbusters on console.

Also, while cleaning up for packing I came across this blast from the past:

Early January 2013, when the server was young!

I'll mention the current map went live January 1, 2014. :)

Fun times, everyone was frothing at the mouth to get their teeth into Minecraft 1.7. I say building the spawn courtyard and getting all the plugins working together at that time was the peak of my l33t admin-ness.

Fuchsdh

Yeah placing all the TNT to level out mountains in Gaffopolis has been slow-going, since it's hard to make a manageable large explosion that doesn't take time to set up. Hence why I wish you could create some sort of Super TNT to speed up the process.

Crispy75

Yeah, but what I didn't want is for it to go bananas and wreck all the neat digging I'd already done. Being *accurate* with TNT is hard.

Looks like Minecraft 1.10 pre-release is out. It would appear Mojang is turning back towards more frequent, smaller updates like in the good ol' days. I welcome the change.

Mengy

Looks like Minecraft 1.10 pre-release is out. It would appear Mojang is turning back towards more frequent, smaller updates like in the good ol' days. I welcome the change.

Wait, they just started releasing snapshots of 1.10, and they are already at a pre-release version?

Holy Hell, memories of the pre-MicroSoft Mojang are suddenly swelling up in me......o_O

-Minsc-

Wait, they just started releasing snapshots of 1.10, and they are already at a pre-release version?

Holy Hell, memories of the pre-MicroSoft Mojang are suddenly swelling up in me......o_O

Slave drivers, making me update the server more frequently.

;p

Thank goodness the sooner 1.10 comes out the sooner I can finally go into the Nether on Struggle Island II and hunt down some Blazes so I can start making potions.

Top Bottom