• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I got a pretty high number on a Edgemaster talisman...Is it worth it to try and make a set with?

What is Edgemaster even on, Nether stuff?

also

Banned
Fuck Mark of a Hero. I can't solo two g-rank monsters at once. That shit's just cheap. :(

Focus on Rathalos first; don't forget to flashbomb him out of the sky to score free hits. Once Brachy enters rage mode just sheath your weapon, run around and try to position yourself in such a way that Brachy's attacks will hurt Rathalos. Rathalos will fall surprisingly quickly under Brachy's pounders.

Bring a farcaster and bomb casings and exciteshrooms to make more. Whenever you are in a pinch, just retreat, and sleep on the bed to regain HP and revive the Shakalaka kids.

Focus on Rathalos first; don't forget to flashbomb him out of the sky to score free hits. Once Brachy enters rage mode just sheath your weapon, run around and try to position yourself in such a way that Brachy's attacks will hurt Rathalos. Rathalos will fall surprisingly quickly under Brachy's pounders.

Bring a farcaster and bomb casings and exciteshrooms to make more. Whenever you are in a pinch, just retreat, and sleep on the bed to regain HP and revive the Shakalaka kids.

Ehhh

I got Brachy first. Using it as a shield for defending against Rathy worked out pretty well for me!

FIGURE-008086.jpg

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-008086
If only the Hunters could transform in game lol:
FIGURE-008086_09.jpg

tuffy

So I got a pretty high number on a Edgemaster talisman...Is it worth it to try and make a set with?

What is Edgemaster even on, Nether stuff?
It's only on Nether stuff. But if you've got at least 2 points on your talisman, you can skip the head and leg pieces and get Honed Blade while avoiding the negative Critical Eye you'd get by having the whole set. Honed Blade is pretty handy since it's Sharpness +1 and Attack Up (L) in one convenient package.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's only on Nether stuff. But if you've got at least 2 points on your talisman, you can skip the head and leg pieces and get Honed Blade while avoiding the negative Critical Eye you'd get by having the whole set. Honed Blade is pretty handy since it's Sharpness +1 and Attack Up (L) in one convenient package.

Crit Draw +5, Edgemaster +3

javadoze

So for my Dual Swords hunter, I'm just now entering high rank. The question is: should I just wait until high rank to forge some new armor for myself, or should I just move on from my Great Wroggi armor set and onto something like Volvidon/Diablos armor?

Also, that feeling when you kill Diablos in one try.

For those that played MHFU, is it just me or is High Rank Narga a lot easier then it was in High Rank MHFU? I took it down last night in about 10 minutes or so and I have never had that happen in MHFU. I also wouldn't say it was because I knew its move-set by now, that third dash-swipe gets me every time. So I am thinking its either that or Slime is so OP since I was using my Dios Tail Hammer.

Doombear

I think everything is easier than it was in Unite... Unite is punishing! Don't get me wrong, I love the challenge, but it hasn't been that hard since imo.

The roars stun longer, the smaller monsters are constantly effing with you even when there are larger monsters in the area, small things like that really punish.

Yeah that is true, Unite was a very punishing game in those regards. I also feel like Kayamba and Cha-Cha hold their own better then the cats you could take with you in Unite. They also seem to be able to get the monsters' attention and hold it more giving you a lot more time to heal and sharpen and do things that are stop you from moving.

tuffy

So for my Dual Swords hunter, I'm just now entering high rank. The question is: should I just wait until high rank to forge some new armor for myself, or should I just move on from my Great Wroggi armor set and onto something like Volvidon/Diablos armor?

Also, that feeling when you kill Diablos in one try.
If you can power through to the 7 star Village quests, you can forge some high rank Volvidon S which is pretty handy in general. You'll definitely want to avoid forging too many low ranks armors because it takes a lot of parts to make all those pieces and the whole set will be obsolete before long.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I noticed they damage each others, but my Shakalaka die really fast and they're usually still both hounding me. Once I saw Rathalos fall and moan on the floor after colliding with Brachy, and same thing after I got a flash bomb out another time, but both times I couldn't even get close to hitting it because Brachy was constantly harassing me. So annoying. Guess it gave me some hits to Brachy unmolested, but just barely.

Thinking of bringing a full turtle (Guard+2 and Guard Up) and tanking most of it (useful vs I.Lagi too), but I don't know if that's a good idea, since I'll be really vulnerable if I take a cross-up hit. Especially since that's my Agna Z set and it's weak to fire...

Any suggestions on Shakalaka masks/abilities? I think one of them has a poison ability (he actually poisoned I.Lagi twice), forget what the other has. They both having Healing but rarely manage to get the dance off.

Hmm hadn't thought of that. Guess I might retry with this. Also I need more potions, even with those available on-site I ran out, so I might need to bring honey and shit (of course I stupidly capped Lagi instead of carving him for free megapotions, which didn't help). Eh, what a pain. I hate the double arena fights, it's just chaotic and cheap shit to me, not really fun.

also

Banned
I noticed they damage each others, but my Shakalaka die really fast and they're usually still both hounding me. Once I saw Rathalos fall and moan on the floor after colliding with Brachy, and same thing after I got a flash bomb out another time, but both times I couldn't even get close to hitting it because Brachy was constantly harassing me. So annoying. Guess it gave me some hits to Brachy unmolested, but just barely.

Thinking of bringing a full turtle (Guard+2 and Guard Up) and tanking most of it (useful vs I.Lagi too), but I don't know if that's a good idea, since I'll be really vulnerable if I take a cross-up hit. Especially since that's my Agna Z set and it's weak to fire...

Any suggestions on Shakalaka masks/abilities? I think one of them has a poison ability (he actually poisoned I.Lagi twice), forget what the other has. They both having Healing but rarely manage to get the dance off.

Hmm hadn't thought of that. Guess I might retry with this. Also I need more potions, even with those available on-site I ran out, so I might need to bring honey and shit (of course I stupidly capped Lagi instead of carving him for free megapotions, which didn't help). Eh, what a pain. I hate the double arena fights, it's just chaotic and cheap shit to me, not really fun.
I used the pitfall and ultimate masks. The former gives you a free pitfall every ~15min (so max 3 per quest) and the later allows your shakalaka to survive for much longer.
Though I think that the Artillery mask (Quick Recovery, Rocketeer ) and Lamp mask (Attack Boost, Seven Lives, Quick Recovery) combo would be much better, especially in combination with the farcaster shakalaka reviving. If i had known about that combo before, it would have made soloing on 3DS much easier.

To level up masks quickly, eat for Felyne Trainer (fish + veggies), go into Moga Woods, feed them 1 well done steak each (max 2 if you have lots of them), return, speak with them to see if they leveled up. Rinse and repeat.

tuffy

I've actually done the Shakalaka feeding routine, only I used up the pile of P. Rathian Loins in my box instead of a bunch of well-done steaks. I'd feed one of them 2 loins per run over and over. It only took about half an hour or so to bring one from level 1 to the maximum.

Most of the time I run with the Ultimate and False Felyne masks equipped, but I just wanted to see how many explosions I could get out of a Mock Melynx / False Felyne pair.

also

Banned
I've actually done the Shakalaka feeding routine, only I used up the pile of P. Rathian Loins in my box instead of a bunch of well-done steaks. I'd feed one of them 2 loins per run over and over. It only took about half an hour or so to bring one from level 1 to the maximum.

Most of the time I run with the Ultimate and False Felyne masks equipped, but I just wanted to see how many explosions I could get out of a Mock Melynx / False Felyne pair.

Yeah, leveling up a mask is fairly quick process. You just have to be lucky with the felyne trainer skill activation.

ohlawd

the combo for Felyne Trainer almost always comes with fresh ingredients. It's pretty darn easy to get the skill.

And it's not like you have to max them to lvl 5. You can just stop when you get enough slots on their masks.

also

Banned
the combo for Felyne Trainer almost always comes with fresh ingredients. It's pretty darn easy to get the skill.

And it's not like you have to max them to lvl 5. You can just stop when you get enough slots on their masks.

The ingredients are often fresh but there are 3 skills available, so it's trickier to get.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have three main targets.

I need...Two Sky Emeralds, 1 Ghostly Quartz, and a bunch of Abyssal Lagi parts. Anyone want to come help me get some of this?

tuffy

I can lend a hand, sure. Ghostly Quartz is just Hallowed Jhen who isn't too hard - just remember to mine the back spines. "Cloudless Thunder" and "Mountain Massacre" are good sources of Zin Skymeralds. I'd have to dust off my Dragon S. set for Abyssal Lagi and get back in practice, but he's usually not too rough. Bonus points for anyone that scores a Dragonator hit on him.

Would someone be so kind as to explain how the Vouchers work please? I believe I get them from hunting in the Port, yes? Does that mean that I can keep earning them if I rack up enough quests in the Port? I know that I can use them to trade with the V.E. for various items but am loath to use the ones I've already earnt for low percentage item drops in case I need them for an even lower percentage item drop.

Depends entirely what element/status you want to build.

I've been using this and it's lovely. I prefer it over the wiki and kiranico.

I was completely oblivious to this until you mentioned it but now that I've given it a quick spin I would have to agree with you. Many thanks! :)

tuffy

Would someone be so kind as to explain how the Vouchers work please? I believe I get them from hunting in the Port, yes? Does that mean that I can keep earning them if I rack up enough quests in the Port? I know that I can use them to trade with the V.E. for various items but am loath to use the ones I've already earnt for low percentage item drops in case I need them for an even lower percentage item drop.
Vouchers and Gourmet Vouchers are given to the chef for better food.

You might be thinking of the VE Tickets which you get by hunting with the same people a lot and building up a big unity level. I wouldn't worry about trading away the low level ones since you'll be hip deep in them in no time. Ones like the VE Cosmic Tickets can be traded for rare items like Zin Skymeralds and Uragaan Palliums which can be a huge time saver - basically guaranteeing rare parts after a certain amount of effort.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually went and investigated my Unity level last night to see when I was supposed to get Cosmic tickets...and found that I was supposed to have 2. I have zero though and apparently it has to do with not leveling my guild card enough.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thinking of trying the bow (haven't used one all game, so I just started practicing in Moga Woods). I know about coating and charging, and the volley, but for status effect coatings such as poison/paralysis, should I charge the shots to increase the effect, or does it not matter?

tuffy

I actually went and investigated my Unity level last night to see when I was supposed to get Cosmic tickets...and found that I was supposed to have 2. I have zero though and apparently it has to do with not leveling my guild card enough.
I had no idea it needed to be leveled. I just trade guild cards with people and wound up with a bunch of Golden and Cosmic tickets over time - which I then forgot to trade in back when I needed them.
Thinking of trying the bow (haven't used one all game, so I just started practicing in Moga Woods). I know about coating and charging, and the volley, but for status effect coatings such as poison/paralysis, should I charge the shots to increase the effect, or does it not matter?
Apparently charge levels do affect status coating effectiveness, though shot range does not.

GeekyDad

Put it down for a few months. Picked it up again today. Still fits like a glove. Love this game. Can't wait for my Wii U Christmas. Making sure that version is under the tree alongside the new system.

Vouchers and Gourmet Vouchers are given to the chef for better food.

You might be thinking of the VE Tickets which you get by hunting with the same people a lot and building up a big unity level. I wouldn't worry about trading away the low level ones since you'll be hip deep in them in no time. Ones like the VE Cosmic Tickets can be traded for rare items like Zin Skymeralds and Uragaan Palliums which can be a huge time saver - basically guaranteeing rare parts after a certain amount of effort.

I was thinking of VE Tickets so I do beg your pardon. Thank you for being alive to my mistook :).

Well that's a relief! I shall gladly trade in one of these tickets if it means I can carry out the weapon upgrade without doing a Rathian Quest for a gadzillion times just to get one part :D.

Funnily enough I have not played a single game online yet but have been given a few by the lush gent in the Port [the Guildmaster?] so clearly it is possible to earn Tickets without going online although I suspect that their drop rate is much reduced.

Anyway, thanks for explaining that and putting my concerns aside :).

also

Banned
I was thinking of VE Tickets so I do beg your pardon. Thank you for being alive to my mistook :).

Well that's a relief! I shall gladly trade in one of these tickets if it means I can carry out the weapon upgrade without doing a Rathian Quest for a gadzillion times just to get one part :D.

Funnily enough I have not played a single game online yet but have been given a few by the lush gent in the Port [the Guildmaster?] so clearly it is possible to earn Tickets without going online although I suspect that their drop rate is much reduced.

Anyway, thanks for explaining that and putting my concerns aside :).

You can only earn VE (Deluxe) and chum-chum tickets offline.

Here's a detailed explanation on how to earn tickets and the rewards you can trade them for.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65971602

khaaan

Can someone tell me when/how I unlock elemental shots? I have a bowgun that can handle flame shots but the lady with the bullets doesn't carry any elemental bullets. I've been going to the online hub to buy them but that's too tedious to sustain for the entire game.

javadoze

Finally beat Ceadeus today in the single player. The Purple Ludroth nearly kicked my ass, but I managed...

...Until I somehow got wiped out by a Great Wroggi in a different quest.

(Maybe I should just get Wroggi S armor for High Rank? It honestly seems just as awesome as normal Wroggi armor was in low rank. Though it kinda bugs me to not have something different appearence-wise.)

Can someone tell me when/how I unlock elemental shots? I have a bowgun that can handle flame shots but the lady with the bullets doesn't carry any elemental bullets. I've been going to the online hub to buy them but that's too tedious to sustain for the entire game.
You can make them yourself with husk berries and bone husks for casings and elemental items for the shot, like an ice crystal and one of those casings will make ice shot.

I just experienced quite the oddest thing that I have not had happen in the previous 600+ hours of playing this game. It was on the first Brachy quest and we had just run into each other. I decided to let my minions entertain him for a couple of minutes whilst I mined some ore when I heard the sound that one gets for shiny drops. I thought that was most odd as it was a bit early for that but then two more such sounds occurred in quick succession. So I went to have a look and found a Wyvern Tear and 2 Heavy Wyvern Tears waiting for me :eek:. I can only imagine it was some glitch and they dropped when my pick axe hit the ore. I didn't get the parts I wanted but this was an interesting consolation prize :).

khaaan

You can make them yourself with husk berries and bone husks for casings and elemental items for the shot, like an ice crystal and one of those casings will make ice shot.

Is that my only option? :(
Going to find the materials seems even more tedious than just hopping onto the online hub and buying them. There must be some way, the couple of MH games I've played before (FU, 3rd) had all the ammo purchasable right from the get go. Maybe I need to create them first...

Is that my only option? :(
Going to find the materials seems even more tedious than just hopping onto the online hub and buying them. There must be some way, the couple of MH games I've played before (FU, 3rd) had all the ammo purchasable right from the get go. Maybe I need to create them first...

You know you can go into the pub while staying offline right? Also, why don't you just go there and buy -> send to box a bunch of ammo? Just build a big stock.

tuffy

Though elemental shots do show up in the shop eventually, I'm afraid I can't remember exactly when that happens. It might be at the beginning of high rank. None of the guides I have list when the shops upgrade.

tuffy

Which upgrade should I choose for my Rugged Great Sword?
The Carapace Sword upgrade path leads to a bunch of sad-looking water and ice swords, whereas the Chieftain's Grt Swd -> Lagiacrus Blade upgrades offer some respectable Lagiacrus and Zinogre weapons. So the latter seems like a better way to go.

Uragaan and Steel Uragaan fights... Man I hate them but I need the Lava Nuggets and S. Uragaan Scutes for my Brachy weapon upgrades. Its not that they are terribly hard fights, they just take way to long and aren't particularly exciting to do. Oh well 4 more Scutes and I can upgrade my Hammer and LS.

Pila

LOL yesterday I thought I had guru but I hadn't :( I even told people I would alert them when the monsters were ready. Quite embarrassing, I've got two sets with a full armor, different skills, and I fucked up. I was the only HR100+ in the room and it was shameful for real. ^^

I fired up Tri earlier since I was on my Wii to see what Epic Yarn is like but eww at the 480p! I used to roll my eyes at posters who would say things like that but now I've got used to higher res games it was a bit of a shock to the system. I thought I might have a quick play since I don't have the energy for MH3U right now which is very inconvenient as I am poised to unlock G rank but that put me right off. Oh well, I'll give Dolphin a go at some stage instead :).

Uragaan and Steel Uragaan fights... Man I hate them but I need the Lava Nuggets and S. Uragaan Scutes for my Brachy weapon upgrades. Its not that they are terribly hard fights, they just take way to long and aren't particularly exciting to do. Oh well 4 more Scutes and I can upgrade my Hammer and LS.

Funnily enough those are two of my favourite games as I can be pretty relaxed whilst taking them on without any real concern of failure. It's quests like that that make a nice break from the uber intense ones.

LOL yesterday I thought I had guru but I hadn't :( I even told people I would alert them when the monsters were ready. Quite embarrassing, I've got two sets with a full armor, different skills, and I fucked up. I was the only HR100+ in the room and it was shameful for real. ^^

Whoops! :) Oh well, things like that are so easily done.

yayaba

I really need to pick this back up. 45 hours in and I got frustrated that I couldn't chop off Diablos' Tail for the Tailcase that he has. I need 4 of those suckers too to upgrade the weapon I want.

Cycled between the switch axe and great swords but I can never get any hits on his tail. Any hints?

Top Bottom