• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

tuffy

Any ideas why I can't see my HUD on my gamepad?

Thanks
So long as you're not running with off-TV play, when you hit the "-" button to bring up the menu in Moga there should be an option to "customize panels". Then if you put the map tile on the gamepad, for example, it'll stop showing up on the TV. Just remember to save your new panel layout instead of just exiting and you should be all set.

GeekyDad

So long as you're not running with off-TV play, when you hit the "-" button to bring up the menu in Moga there should be an option to "customize panels". Then if you put the map tile on the gamepad, for example, it'll stop showing up on the TV. Just remember to save your new panel layout instead of just exiting and you should be all set.

Ah, so it doesn't have a default option? When I simply started a new game on Wii U, everything was set-up fine. But when transferring, you have to customize it, eh?

tuffy

Ah, so it doesn't have a default option? When I simply started a new game on Wii U, everything was set-up fine. But when transferring, you have to customize it, eh?
That sounds about right. The 3DS and Wii U title sets are saved seperately when transferring back and forth, and I think the default for the 3DS version is to not put anything on the Wii U's saved tiles.

VandalD

Does GAF have a favored server? Used to play Tri with folks here before I could even post, and I just today got the Wii U version. Gotta start over from HR1.

So I just picked up the wii u version of the game and downloaded the transfer app on my 3ds. It says that it will delete my characters on my 3ds version when I transfer them over to the wii u version. Am I correct in thinking that when I transfer back, it DOES let me transfer back I hope, that it will put all 3 characters back on my 3ds copy. I haven't checked the wii u version yet since it is still downloading.

tuffy

Does GAF have a favored server? Used to play Tri with folks here before I could even post, and I just today got the Wii U version. Gotta start over from HR1.
We usually put something up in the Free C or Free D lobbies since the Free A lobby gets full sometimes.
So I just picked up the wii u version of the game and downloaded the transfer app on my 3ds. It says that it will delete my characters on my 3ds version when I transfer them over to the wii u version. Am I correct in thinking that when I transfer back, it DOES let me transfer back I hope, that it will put all 3 characters back on my 3ds copy. I haven't checked the wii u version yet since it is still downloading.
The transfer tool replaces all three save slots on the target system with the contents of the three save slots from the source system. When transferring from 3DS to the Wii U, I'm pretty sure it deletes the old saves but keeps a backup of some sort. And when transferring from the Wii U to the 3DS it locks the Wii U save until you transfer back again.

It's easy to bounce saves back and forth as often as you like.

Tuffy you always have the answer, thanks. I was just worried about losing my time on accident or something. I'm so excited to play with you all now.

VandalD

We usually put something up in the Free C or Free D lobbies since the Free A lobby gets full sometimes.
Cool, thanks. Have already done a few hunts with randoms. Think I'm getting used to the bow's arc shots. Not sure if it's the most effective thing to do, but it's satisfying to rain arrows (actually, they look like pebbles..) on a thing and having their head parts explode. Too bad I'm garbage with the bow underwater. Maybe because I rely on arc shot too much.

tuffy

Cool, thanks. Have already done a few hunts with randoms. Think I'm getting used to the bow's arc shots. Not sure if it's the most effective thing to do, but it's satisfying to rain arrows (actually, they look like pebbles..) on a thing and having their head parts explode. Too bad I'm garbage with the bow underwater. Maybe because I rely on arc shot too much.
Bows are regarded as being much harder to use underwater due to the wonky directions arrows go and the ridiculous arc shot locations, so it's understandable if you're having a harder time with it.

I just saarted playing today. I was able to get a set of full Lagi. I heard it was a good low rank set but the abilities don't seem all that great. What weapons are good? Lance and Long Sword seem to have been nerfed since Tri.

VandalD

I just saarted playing today. I was able to get a set of full Lagi. I heard it was a good low rank set but the abilities don't seem all that great. What weapons are good? Lance and Long Sword seem to have been nerfed since Tri.
I've read that the weapons are more balanced in 3U than they ever have been. I favor the bow recently, but I like to keep a lance around since it can cut tails and do impact damage. Kind of makes sense if it was nerfed from Tri since it's still so versatile.

ohlawd

I liked LR Lagi better in Tri since it had Element Atk Up and Razor Sharp.

KidDork

Just got back into playing MH 3 on the 3DS. Still just doing two star missions. I love the humour in this game, from being hit so hard by a bear I get thrown into another screen to having my body dumped off a cart by mewling cats.

The chat here is pretty intimidating, to be honest. :) So much to learn!

deim0s

Quick question for those who are playing MH4G:
I watched two videos now of JP players and they're using the pink bombs on themselves before and during the fight (a dude with a c. Axe on Teo and other guy with a bow on w. Fatalis). I thought the bombs are for the cats/felines to go aggro... Did they change this for MH4/G or just something they just screw around with?

Kazerei

Banned
I'm a fan of the Barroth armor for Low/High Rank Blademasters, especially with shielded weapons. It has decent all-purpose skills -- Attack Up (S/M), Defense Up (S), and Guard +1 -- which can each be upgraded with the right talisman and decorations. And Barroth is available fairly early in the game.

GeekyDad

Tonight was bust. Couldn't find a good room to save my life. Been G-rank for days now, and still haven't been able to farm a single set. Argh. And how the fark are people dying so easily to GB Ceadeus. These clowns must dash right in front of his mouth when he's shooting his water stream. dafuq.

tuffy

Which sort of sets are you looking to farm?

Admittedly, Goldbeard's water beams can be homing in ways that are difficult to dodge, but he's such a slowpoke that's there's usually ample time to heal between attacks as long as he's not one-shotting everybody.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You could probably set up a meeting in this thread some day and we could easily farm you up some goldy. It takes no time at all with four people.

GeekyDad

Which sort of sets are you looking to farm?

Admittedly, Goldbeard's water beams can be homing in ways that are difficult to dodge, but he's such a slowpoke that's there's usually ample time to heal between attacks as long as he's not one-shotting everybody.

My point exactly. I mean, I understand getting carted -- it happens -- but losing a quest so fast, it was silly.

You could probably set up a meeting in this thread some day and we could easily farm you up some goldy. It takes no time at all with four people.

Thanks, that would be great. Trying to make the Selene ZZZXZ set. I'll probably try hunting again later this evening. I'll try and post and see if anyone's around then.

GeekyDad

I'm gonna be getting on now. Not sure if you can friend people by looking them up, but if you message me here, perhaps we can figure out a way to meet up.

tuffy

I'm available to lend a hand, NNID: Sassydog

Just let us know your hunter name/NNID and where the room is and we'll be all set.

GeekyDad

Hunter ID is mhdu in first world room is HR7

Edit: sorry, lobby 7

Thanks for the hunts, tuffy. First G-rank armor -- yay!

So I hit HR8 last night after my urgent, then I spoke with the guildmaster and was promptly raised to HR38. Did it just retro actively level me based on how many quests I have done prior to that urgent?

tuffy

So I hit HR8 last night after my urgent, then I spoke with the guildmaster and was promptly raised to HR38. Did it just retro actively level me based on how many quests I have done prior to that urgent?
Pretty much. Think of it as an invisible "hunter rank point" number, like experience points in an RPG. Every quest you do in the Village, Port or whatever is always adding to that number from the start of the game. And when you finally beat the HR8 urgent quest, you simply find out where your "level" really is at that point.

Awesome, now to work on those guild card awards...

Edit:
Also good to know that Village Quests count towards it as well. I still have a few of those to finish.

GeekyDad

Pretty much. Think of it as an invisible "hunter rank point" number, like experience points in an RPG. Every quest you do in the Village, Port or whatever is always adding to that number from the start of the game. And when you finally beat the HR8 urgent quest, you simply find out where your "level" really is at that point.

Oh wow. I'll be curious to see where I'm at, then. I haven't even finished my HR 7 quests, but I've put in almost 300 hours total between the 3DS and now Wii U.

GeekyDad

Got meh first g-rank gunner armor (Gig X). Whew, that took a while. Now I feel comfortable to peruse the rest of the g-rank quests. I love switching from LS to bow. Was lttp with the bow, but really love it now.

NewGame

Banned
Pound for pound you really can't beat Wroggi armor for Low Rank Blademasters.

Basically the way I progressed through was

Low:
Buy alloy > get wroggi

High:
Buy alloy > get wroggi

Sadly G rank wroggi is pretty meh. Gold beard is the first and best accessable G rank armor set.

Capra

So I had a bit of a scare earlier when I found out about the cursed tables after roughly 40 hours of gameplay and finally achieving a full set of Lagi armor. Fortunately there's a really simple program for calculating your table using fishhaul values and after confirming a safe table I can safely say it was not time (completely) wasted.

That is a really cruel thing to do to unlucky players, though, especially if what I read about cursed tables preventing certain drops from happening was true.

ohlawd

charm tables exist for MH4U :/

people here confirmed it's not as bad though. I'm not etirely sure what they mean by that though. Are the really bad tables nonexistent and the worst table is still relatively good or is it much harder to get a terrible table?

stay tuned

they aren't, no

lol even I panicked. Turns out I'm on a pretty good table. Did Tri even have charm tables? These table things are dumb as hell >_>

I think they are fixed in 4 though. IIRC it puts you on a different table every time you load your save and they are more balanced as well apparently.

Pila

I played this game for 500 hours more or less and I never checked out the table thing (mind you, I knew about it from the start) you can't be more casual than me ^^ I'm made of casualness.

tuffy

I think they are fixed in 4 though. IIRC it puts you on a different table every time you load your save and they are more balanced as well apparently.
That's really how it should be, so there's nothing to worry about.

The notion of a charm "table" is just an artifact of the pseudo random number generator the game uses. Given a certain seed value, the RNG outputs a specific set of numbers which determines what charms a player can get.

MH3U's flaw was attaching that seed value to the hunter forever which meant one was guaranteed to only get the charms on a certain table. But if the seed value is different every time one plays, there's always the possibility of getting every kind of charm the game generates.

GeekyDad

About to do my first Dire Miralis if anyone's up to lend a hand. World 1, Lobby 6, room name: HR7, ID mhdu71.

Thanks

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Got the rest of my three man crew up through Miralis tonight. One popped up at HR 47 while the other popped up at 58.

Also finally got the Hardhorn I needed. It was a decent night for drops all around. One of them got a Pallium he needed on one try while the other got the Mantle he needed after about eight tries (while the other one and I got 4 in between us in 4 double Azure Rathalos runs)

So all I need now is about a dozen Abyssal Lagi runs to complete my ultimate set of armor. I wouldn't mind recruiting some people from this thread to take a run at them sometime soon.

tuffy

My Willuminator sets are ready. Just need to make sure I've got enough Dragonfell Berries and Bomberries to last a few runs.

NewGame

Banned
A friend of mine hit 999 HR. He has all the achivments and is now trying to get 1k+ usage on all his weapons. 1800 hours (Leaves his WiiU on though)

What a nerd.

160 HR here 500 hours. 8(

Does anyone know what kind of issues MH4 had that might be addressed in 4U? I didn't pay too much attention when it released so I don't know if there are any things that people took issue with that might be fixed in the upgraded version.

That's really how it should be, so there's nothing to worry about.

The notion of a charm "table" is just an artifact of the pseudo random number generator the game uses. Given a certain seed value, the RNG outputs a specific set of numbers which determines what charms a player can get.

MH3U's flaw was attaching that seed value to the hunter forever which meant one was guaranteed to only get the charms on a certain table. But if the seed value is different every time one plays, there's always the possibility of getting every kind of charm the game generates.

Yeah, glad to know that we won't have to worry about it in the next game. I did get lucky when I created my character but even if I wasn't I probably wouldn't have restarted since I was too far in to repeat everything again.

Top Bottom