• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community [OT3] Surely You Saw This Coming

I was initially going to do a Starlight + Luna picture as it would sort of tie in well with the next episode I randomly got for my mini retrospective review thingy but there's actually almost no art of them together. So instead I'll give you two pictures. The first one features a character that isn't actually from the show but I figure given the character's actual name and the series it's from's popularity it wouldn't be particularly hard to loop it back to MLP. The second one is the one that'll be used if the first can't be.

T5SAx9z.png

source
(Character's name is Sombra and is from the game Overwatch. As an aside I can't take the character from Overwatch seriously because of her name)

3AxZEOG.png

source

Like 90% of Starlight's fan art is with her and Sunburst, Trixie, Twilight, Sunset, or is a picture from the season finale so finding new characters basically stuck me with Trixie or Discord or Thorax. Or Overwatch's Sombra because I can't give an expected response.

How about
both?
medium.png
medium.png

Next is King Sombra.

Fun fact about the latter: it was made before season 3 even started, and was based on bits of pieces of information and character models. It speculated that Trixie's mysterious necklace was linked to mysterious unnamed season 3 villain. That's also why Sombra's design is off.

Cute Rainbow Dash decoration.
5652642_R_Z007A.jpg
Capture.JPG

Episode Rewatch: Winter Wrap Up

I mentioned before that I consider "Winter Wrap Up" to be a fairly weak episode outside of the song. There's a lot of repetition, with Twilight explaining the different roles, then everyone singing about the different roles, then Twilight having the different roles explained to her. Then they introduce the organization problem out of nowhere. Plus, the beginning spends a lot of time showing Twilight getting dressed up and ready, but then she's late and isn't wearing anything. I do really like the scene with Rarity and the baskets, though. ShinySylvee mentioned Twilight's voice being odd in "Bridle Gossip", but this is the season 1 episode that sticks out to me for Twilight having an odd voice.

Sethisto brings up how the song leaked and caused a lot of speculation about the episode, and this is one of those early fandom events that I was actually too late for. My understanding is that Daniel Ingram just put the song on YouTube himself to show a friend, since he assumed it wouldn't be a big deal to upload a song early from this children's show that no one watched. Of course, he was surprised when the video blew up in popularity. It's kind of amusing imagining these early fans seriously speculating why Twilight would be unable to use her magic; did anyone come up with "tradition"?

I remember how Dash's expression during the song was jokingly used as evidence that she's into girls. I don't remember what Seth is referring to with the image of Twilight in a spotlight, or why it would be inappropriate.

Twilight's fear of snakes really hasn't come up since season 1, has it? Nor her fear of mice from "It's About Time".

This is the episode that introduced the idea that ponies change the seasons. One thing I always felt was a missed opportunity was that there are so few episodes that took place during the winter (or any non-green season), especially since this episode specifically takes place at the end. The song talks about "three months of winter coolness and awesome holidays," but we see very little of that. And of course, there's the continuity hilarity caused by "Fall Weather Friends" airing after this.

First, let's keep making the rounds with Villains. Next up is Tirek:

hqL4dq3.png

source

Alright, time for yet another post of me complaining about a season 1 episode saying that it's overrated and hasn't stood the test of time. This time it's the undisputed king (In my mind) of overrated episodes which I felt was super weak even the first time I saw it. I haven't seen this episode in eons so maybe my opinion might change on it. (I doubt it though. Usually my opinions on older episodes usually get reconfirmed when I rewatch them)

Right off the bat Twilight is like an octave higher then she should be. I already riffed on this in my post about Bridle Gossip but Tara still hasn't figure out her voice for Twilight and it really shows. That super muted sounding intro also doesn't help things. Sounds like I have a speaker blown out in my headphones.

Spike has this really fucking weird line about how he wants a blue vest because it's the same color of his blanket. He wants to go back to bed I get it but despite usually being treated as a child usually he's not treated like he's a 3 year old. Usually he's depicted as being around 8-12 so having him talk about his "blankie" is really weird.

It's so blatant that Mayor Mare is voiced by Cathy Weseluck. (Voice of Spike) I never made that connection before but it's really obvious in this episode.

AJ sounds like there's some sound issues in the booth she was recording in for the song. She just sounds a bit off compared to everyone else. That being said the animation for the song is like 100x better then the rest of the episode. It still looks pretty good even considering what the show has accomplished over the years. That being said there's some really fucking awkward cuts in the song. There's a bunch of shots that get cut away like a half second before they should end and it looks fucking awful. Also why is Twilight smiling at the end it just seems unfitting given the song is about her being uncertain as to what she's supposed to do.

Twilight's conversation with Rainbow is just odd. There's no sound in it at all besides just the talking it feels extremely baren. It's a problem in all Season 1 episodes but it's really blatant in this scene. It's also an issue in other scenes as well so just copy-paste this complaint for pretty much every other scene in the episode.

It's so obvious in the scene with Fluttershy they're trying to sneak a lesson in about hibernation. It happens quite a bit in season one but the education stuff I feel is toned down a lot more in the later seasons. That being said I actually really enjoyed the education stuff in Testing Testing 1,2,3 but that was discussing a less well-known thing like Hibernation so I think it's more justified there. There's no more scenes of Twilight explaining what "imperative" means to Spike these days though that's for sure.

There's a lot larger focus on slapstick in this episode. I never was really a fan of it but oh well. Also Spike is kind of a dick in this episode. The whole time he's making fun of Twilight screwing up and then blames her for screwing up when she follows his advice. There's a couple of chortle-worthy lines but he comes off as being a brat with his complaining about how he wants to sleep and mean-spirited by not supporting Twilight at all even though she's having issues. and could really use the support of a friend.

The montage of everything being fixed by Twilight's organizing is so long. I feel that his episode could have easily been wrapped up and done in a 11 minute length but there's so much filler. For each character of the Mane 6 Twilight shows up and tries to help, then fails horribly while Spike makes fun of her for being bad at it. They're really trying to hit 22 minutes here and I feel like they barely made it.

More so then anything the episode just doesn't have a solid hook and is boring. If you're REALLY paying attention and are gripped by the show then you can get some enjoyment out of it but it's just a fairly uneventful and bland episode. And it feels like they really had to invent a reason for Twilight to be super useful and special. Overall I stand by my points that it's a fairly average episode and the only really great part about it is the song and a couple other scenes but it just drags on for so long because they have to get to 22 minutes but only have like 10 minutes of plot. To give it credit it was better then I remembered but I could totally see why it didn't grip me the first time I watched it.

I forgot how many memes there were of Dash being a Lesbian. Like it used to be such a big meme and now no one really brings it up. I guess people matured and moved on. Also they never have brought up Twilight's fear of Quesadillas for being too cheesy either. One could only imagine her terror when she sees this guy:

Chester%20Cheetah.jpg

Sciz

Beyond the song, Winter Wrap Up is wholly driven by the various ways that ponies work themselves into a furor over trying to physically clean up an entire season. It is whimsical fantasy land gold cut with a sharp twist of realism, which was the entire shtick the show built itself on.

Next is Maud Pie
medium.jpeg

To be fair, everypony's a lesbian, especially Lyra and Bon Bon.

Linkara of Atop the Fourth Wall reviews the 2015 Holiday Special comic

2015? The Equestria Girls Holiday Special (2014) would have made sense, but there wasn't anything particularly bad about this. Though he addresses this, saying that he didn't find anything to really make fun of; which makes sense, since the biggest complaints about it are due to everyone being out of character. Anyway, the video was alright. I found the new holiday opening to be the most interesting part.

There's been a serious lack of Best Pony so far. I'd say we should fix that.

8Zfoul3.png

source

I can't leave it at that though. Best pony deserves better

Eka9yUC.png

9gec6Kn.jpg

844445__safe_rarity_equestria+girls_cute_sweetie+belle_diasweetes_artist-colon-baekgup.png

source 1 2 and 3

Now for some ones featuring honorary best ponies who don't quite make the cut:

MajXDV4.png

source

Rainbow's portrayal has been hit-or-miss over the years (perhaps more so then any other character) but she'll always be awesome to me. She was my favorite when I first got into the show and I would definitely say she's the one I relate to the most. A lot of her best qualities and biggest weaknesses are the same that I have as a person so when I'm talking about my favorite characters I have to mention her.

lKWtbsJ.png

source

Unfortunately not too many options for this pairing picture-wise but here we go. I've really loved Starlight so far in her episodes, and am excited to see where she goes from here. She just has so much potential going forward, and of course I'd love to see an episode featuring my two favorite unicorns.

To be fair, everypony's a lesbian, especially Lyra and Bon Bon.

Linkara of Atop the Fourth Wall reviews the 2015 Holiday Special comic

Yeah but back in the day that was THE meme for Rainbow. Shipping was popular back then too but even outside of that it was common for people to call her gay, far moreso then any other character.

I haven't watched Linkara's videos before (I've seen him on Nostalgia Critic videos before back when I used to watch them though) but I dug this one. It's got some good humor in places and I feel like he occupies an interesting middle ground where he's familiar with the series and respects it but at the same time isn't a massive fan and can look at it with a more neutral and unbiased perspective. It's an unusual perspective as usually people discussing the show either hate it or are big fans, you don't hear too much middle ground given how divisive the subject matter is.

Edit: just found another picture of Rarity

DoYRqeg.png

source

Decided to watch the full Uncle Grandpa episode. Going into this blind as I've never seen it before. Before going into this I would like to remind you that this show has been nominated for two Emmys and won one of them for Outstanding Short-Format Animated Program. That being said my previous research into other nominees for that category (And by that I mean I watched the Powerpuff Girls episode that got nominated for last year) has revealed that from what I can tell they just ask their kids what their favorite show is and just nominate that as I would say 2/3rds of the episodes from Season 5 of MLP were way better then what I've seen from the episodes that have been nominated before.

First off the bat the art style is horrible. Uncle Grandpa himself is one of the most visually ugly characters I've seen in an animated show, and he's the fucking main character. It's a 11 minute length TV show so automatically you know the pacing is going to be fucked.

So this plot is just bizarre. Apparently UGP (What I will hereafter refer to as forUncle Grandpa) doesn't do the dishes much so there's flies everywhere. He has some hair grow bottle and while he's putting it on a fly lands on the back of his head so he slaps it and it causes him to grow a ponytail. He seems to think it's amazing and so does everyone else that lives in his house but they feel the need to explain why a pizza and lizard thing can't grow it.

He goes into a room to admire his ponytail and a pink pony called Princess Sparklehorse comes through his mirror to visit him. (Geddit? It's an EQG reference) The pony's design looks atrocious and it just floats around everywhere with the same unchanging smiling expression on the whole time presumably because giving it a walk cycle or actual emotional expression would make it more difficult to animate. She clarifies that she doesn't come from the alternate pony dimension that shows on TV and that one attracts a troubling group of fans. She has the exact kind of super high-pitched sappy voice you would expect from this kind of thing.

Ok I stand corrected we have a walking cycle. That cheery smile is still here though. Apparently the pony world is just in the clouds I guess so he takes a magic bubble up there. (I would say this is a Banjo-Tooie reference but I don't respect this show enough to say it's intentional) There's a slightly clever exchange where UGP says that they can't get through the gate of optimism because it's closed and Princess Sparklehorse (That seriously sounds like an intentionally stupid name to call Twilight) says that they can't with that attitude.

Finally getting some slightly different facial expressions but not by much. The pony world is a place with no conflict whatsoever and everyone is just super nice and does nothing productive all day. There's like no effort into making it remotely interesting it's literally every cutesie cliché in existence crammed into one location with nothing interesting to make you interested. Apparently they don't like red apples because red is a negative color. Can't wait for the inevitable plot twist where the ponies turn evil and UGP has to run away. Speaking of which he's not remotely interesting either, basically just saying "hey I like fun things this is great" the whole time.

There's actually a couple other pony designs they have that are slightly better and more interesting then the main one they had. There's some male pony that is wearing sunglasses and is trying to act cool and some old one used for a visual gag. It's nothing exceptional but it's kinda neat I guess. Trying to keep things balanced here. Also Princess Sparklehorse (Who despite being a princess has nothing to visually distinguish her from almost all the other ponies they show) basically recreated his house including having pony versions of the two friends that I guess he lives with. I guess she wants him to stay oh boy really exciting conflict can't wait to see where this goes.

So UGP wants to bring his friends to the place but since they don't have Punytiles (occasionally they flash up words that Sparklehorse says with frilly font and the word being spelled intentionally wrong. I think it's supposed to be funny?) they're not welcome. (Even though like no one else has ponytails in their world. Like the two standins for his friends don't have ones either don't see what the deal is. Forced conflict hurray!) Now Sparklehorse is trying to destroy him because he wants to leave so she orders people to hug him. He manages to get free by being nice to them and then they try to stop him by pouring all the apples that they were eating to try to slow him down but his fanny pack eats all of them then cooks a pie which grows to be over 25 ft in diameter and lands on the ponies guarding the exit. He gets out and they blow all their horse puns they were saving in one blow.

He cuts off the ponytail but misses some so it's a rat tail now. A rat shows up to the RV he lives in and takes him to his rat kingdom. I guess that's the setup for why the fridge is full of cheese as the Pizza slice that lives in the RV as well raps about how great cheese is to close out the episode. It's not the worst rap ever but aside from some slightly clever word play it's not very good. The rapping thing in a kids show is a really common trope (The Powerpuff Girls episode that got nominated had it too) but every time I see it all I can think is that the Wonderbolts Rap is the gold standard of rapping parodies that they should be trying to achieve. It's by far the best one I've seen because on top of it being a rap parody the visuals are hilarious as well.

Speaking of frequent gags that appear in pretty much every cartoon at some point this episode is just that. Basically every show has that joke where they make something super over-the-top and sappy with rainbows and unicorns and other sappy things. Even MLP has done it, although they obviously couldn't just add rainbows and unicorns given that they're such a normalized part of the show at this point. And I never really liked that gag, it's just so played out at this point.

To tie things back to MLP and why the show works and most the parodies/homages don't is because most people that don't watch the show don't understand why people like it. It's easy to look at the opening title sequence of MLP and assume it's a bunch of pastel horses grouphugging together for 22 minutes talking about how Friendship is Magic. And people think it's a LOT more girly then it actually is. (I've said it before but past season one I feel like the show is actually fairly gender neutral, and once they change the logo for the opening credits that will be better reflected. I do hope at some point the make a new intro) And although the show is essentially about the Magic of Friendship that doesn't mean that the show is entirely without conflict. Rather the show uses friendship and teamwork as the solutions to their problems in lieu of the more traditional solutions such as violence. (Although the show isn't afraid to show that as well) Equestria is a fully fledged world, and although it is a bit more idealized then ours it's not a giant hugbox where everyone spends their whole time being nice and doing fun things. A large part of why I at least am so invested in the show is the world that the show takes place in, and most of the parodies completely flanderize the world to the point where the more cheery and pleasant nature completely overtakes everything else. I understand that it's just supposed to be for laughs (I would argue that it's rarely funny but that's a subjective opinion) but it's annoying that "cute" characters rarely get a chance to be taken seriously. They're either sickeningly sappy or they go the extreme opposite direction to try to go for shock value. (The .mov series is a good example of this kind of thing) They're never just characters. A character like Twilight who is both fairly adorable at times but is also this super powerful mage that can do all sorts of things doesn't usually exist usually in other shows. (Outside of maybe anime but I don't watch those) Usually you're either allowed to be cute or interesting but not both.

Going off on another tangent here I feel like too often these days female empowerment characters end up making everyone else in the show/movie/book look bad. Rey from Star Wars 7 has this problem as her proficiency at pretty much everything makes every other character in her crew feel useless outside of just being another body to do stuff. There aren't really any talents that anyone besides her has that she isn't as good at if not better. And I think she's a large part of why I just think that Kylo Ren is a terrible villain. In order to make them threatening you have to let them win. Cad Bane was a beloved character from the Clone Wars TV series because he routinely outsmarted the most powerful good guys the show had. A large part of why I loved Starlight as a villain was because she wasn't someone that Twilight could just overpower or easily out-smart. In many ways Starlight was the underdog as she up against a group of 6 characters that have saved the world countless times and then against the most powerful member of that group and one of the competent characters in the entire show and managed to hold her own despite not having destiny (or in this case princess Celestia) decide she was important. Kylo has literally everything going for him and is built up to be Darth Vader 2.0. His whole teenage angst thing is pretty stupid but at least he could be a threatening villain if he was super powerful, but in their first fight Rey defeats him. At this point I feel like he's the underdog which is not what Vader 2.0 should ever feel like, and I feel a lot of that is because they were trying too hard to make sure Rey was as awesome as possible because Disney really wanted their super awesome female Jedi and they couldn't have her actually lose because that would make her less admirable. And honestly MLP suffers from this issue at times too but I just kinda had to get that off my chest.

Alright, there's more I would talk about but this post is WAY too big already. Have some pon:

kK7G5YN.png

in honor of the Star Wars talk

And next up we have Octavia:

MaCTiVz.png

source

It's amazingly hard to find recent decent Octavia art that isn't either solo or with Vinyl, so I had to go older.
medium.jpg

We'll wrap up this game by the end of tomorrow. I think this worked out pretty well, so I'll start other games like this in the future, but let's give it a break for a week or two.

Details on one of the scenarios from the official MLP tabletop RPG
COTS.png

Take the first step into the exciting world of Tails of Equestria (coming 2017) with our first full length adventure – The Curse of the Statuettes!

Equestria is in trouble and it needs your help!

All over Equestria ponies have started to turn into statuettes, figurine versions of themselves. Nopony knows why, nopony knows when and to make it all worse, nopony knows where the Mane six have gone! It looks like it’s up to you to travel to distant lands, overcome terrifying danger and save ponyville, neigh the world!

In The Curse of the Statuettes ponies will explore the mysterious badlands and have to find ways to befriend or outfox the many ponies and creatures they will meet. Creatures such as the Roc, a mythical bird that uses its massive size and slate-like feathers to intimidate anypony who gets in its way or the greedy Dr Caballeron, caring more for wealth than for than good of ponykind!

This sounds like a lot of fun. It's releasing in North America in March. The rulebook is 152 pages, with the Curse of the Statuettes expansion being 48 pages. A new expansion is coming every quarter.

Oxford English Dictionary blog post about the proper term for winged unicorns, citing MLP for popularizing "alicorn", and offering the opinion that that's the term that's likely to win. This is due to MLP presenting it equally with unicorn and pegasus, and it sounding less silly than pegacorn.

Someone made a giant episode screencap database. That will make finding screencaps for the episode guide easier.

Everything Wrong With BronyCon in 4 Minutes or Less, which I found quite charming.

Regarding that Reddit poll from a couple pages ago, they're pretty much on point I think except anything to do with season 5. I love a lot of their top episodes like Return of Harmony, Lesson Zero, Saddle Row Review, Pinkie Pride, and Party of One, and a lot of their bottom dwellers deserve to be there like Spike at Your Service, Hooffields and the McColts, What about Discrod?, etc. Most cathartic was seeing The Crystalling be ranked well below any of the other finales. That episode makes me feel nothing.

Season 1's last place and decline from 2015 is expected, but I think the season is certainly the most innocently charming out of all of them. Something about how all the characters are unfamiliar with each other makes is special in a lot of ways. Plus Green Isn't Your Color is top notch having just watched it yesterday. I think that season thrived on world building more than any other season. The Everfree forest and the concept of winter wrap up among many other things were awesome additions to Equestria that all of the other seasons combined can't seem to be able to top. All they can do is ruin Daring Do :(

PaulloDEC

Regarding that Reddit poll from a couple pages ago, they're pretty much on point I think except anything to do with season 5. I love a lot of their top episodes like Return of Harmony, Lesson Zero, Saddle Row Review, Pinkie Pride, and Party of One, and a lot of their bottom dwellers deserve to be there like Spike at Your Service, Hooffields and the McColts, What about Discrod?, etc. Most cathartic was seeing The Crystalling be ranked well below any of the other finales. That episode makes me feel nothing.

The Crystalling is a tricky one. I find all the stuff with Flurry Heart and the encroaching winter to be a little dull, but I really like Starlight and Sunburst's bits.

Time to bring this to a close
medium.png

I entertained the idea of trying to get everyone in a single image, but that didn't work out, But incidentally, I did discover that the artist behind one of my favorite Twilight humanizations has some recent art.
Sunset, Twilight, and Celestia
Trixie, Starlight, and Thorax
medium.png
medium.png

I really like all three of these pieces. Great styles.

Looking forward to testing out the Tails of Equestria RPG when it finally drops. I messed around with Pathfinder for a bit and it was pretty fun. Equestria would make for a pretty cool setting for a story too. I'm interested in seeing what kind of mechanics it will have.

I feel like most the people that browse the Subreddit and participated in the poll are people that still watch the show which generally indicates that they still like it. Hence why it's fairly positive on the later seasons as a whole which isn't an opinion you'll find everywhere. I can understand liking season 1 even though I personally think it's mostly rubbish with a handful of good episodes. It has a very different feel to it then seasons that came after and although I personally find it to make the season as a whole less enjoyable overall I understand liking it. I'm curious as to what made you feel that Season 5 was overrated, Trigon. Season 5 is by far my favorite season so I'm interested to see why you didn't like it as much.

Season 6 opener reminds me of Crystal Empire a lot. There's a lot of parallels with each other and they both had one plotline that was fairly cool and interesting and one that centered on all the other characters and was considerably weaker. I feel like the A plot in Crystal Empire is better then the one in The Crystalling but the "B" plot in the Crystalling was mostly boring whereas the B plot in Crystal Empire I despise. Overall I think they even out although if I had to pick one it would be Crystal Empire. Both of them are really flawed though. I feel like Crystalling would have worked way better as a 1 part episode just focusing on Starlight and Sunburst.

I walked into my local Target today and right at the entrance they had a prominently featured display for Guardians of Harmony. I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that when the movie drops MLP stuff is going to be everywhere. It has the potential to be the next Minions or Frozen if the movie does well enough.

Lastly, I feel like Sigma might post this anyway but it's too good for me to resist:

rarity__gif__by_bloodatius-darc8fm.gif

Sorry for size image wouldn't resize properly

Oh, you don't have to wait for me to post something.

Episode Rewatch: Call of the Cutie

Indeed, like Calpain says, Cutie Mark Crusader episodes at the time were viewed as a distraction from the superior Main Six. It certainly didn't help how one-note the episodes were until season 2. This first episode actually did portray Apple Bloom in an interesting way, but the other season 1 CMC episodes portrayed them all as one blob more or less, all equally dense and capable of causing trouble. Now that the CMC have been handled better, it's easier to appreciate these episodes in retrospect, but at the time, a new CMC episode was a source of dread for the fandom.

One thing that always throws me off is that a lot of the cutie mark explanations that I thought come from this episode actually come from "The Show Stoppers" (the CMC episode with the talent show).

Apple Bloom abandoning Twist is still funny, even if they probably do still talk to each other off screen, and the actual reason behind Twist's absence is the VA leaving.

It's worth mentioning that the "Cupcakes" fanfic came out before Pinkie's "Cupcakes" song, and the song merely served to further popularize it. Calpain is a bit late to notice the lack of Pinkie songs: they stopped doing that after season 1, and the only small ditty I recall after that point is in "Every Little Thing She Does".

The gag of Apple Bloom saying she's not going to the party, only to find out she's already there, is a pretty good variation of the classic gag.

It's funny how the episode makes a big deal out of cutie marks, but then we have Pokey Pierce, whose sole purpose in life is apparently to pop balloons. And of course, this is the episode that started the fandom interpretation of Berry Punch as a lush, which turned out to be intended by the show crew.

The introduction of Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo is honestly pretty weird. Even besides the confusion of how Cheerilee's class works (how did Apple Bloom not notice them before?), it's just a strange way to introduce two major recurring characters.

Overall, I feel this episode is funnier than people often remember, as long as you're fine with Apple Bloom's whining voice, but it's also not one I'd particularly go out of my way to rewatch.

Boston Globe has a comic making fun of the alt-right using ponies

Confirmed! In the Moonstuck universe, Celestia met Woona's friends on the moon!

"Feeling Pinkie Keen" comic

Your Little Pets - Video of the Main Six acting like household pets.

And now for an art dump built up over two weeks.

Collaboration
Presents
Squeaky Belle
Flitter
All Aboard the Lunar Express!
CollaborationbyMirtaRiga1480369737100.png
PresentsbyJumbleHorse1480369737493.png
SqueakyBellebyDilarus1480369740182.png
ComissionFlitterbyCutePencilCase1480459333856.jpg
AllAboardtheLunarExpressbyStarbat1480540854204.jpg

Gangstashy
Inconvenient Pinkie
Badwill Sale
Twilight with glasses - Is it just me, or does Twilight look kind of old here?
GangstashybyButterSprinkle1480459331484.png
inconvenient_pinkie_by_buttersprinkle-daqwtxl.png
BadwillSalebyPonyBerserker1480623459811.png
byfairandfaithful1481063351499.png

Hello
Let's soar!
PenCelestia - Really like this Celestia humanization.
Nightmare Night
HellobySIONARA1480623460497.png
LetssoarbySIONARA1480623460682.png
PenCelestiabyRacoonKun1481323954624.jpg
NightmareNightbycoma3921481496259514.png

Paging DrForester
Memoriesbydkghost1480798105745.png

Just me being silly, Sigma. I was thinking of posting the EQD rewatch but I was trying to put off rewatching the episode by virtue of me really disliking it the first time and also because I like responding to other posts as well as it gives me more relevant things to talk about.

This is I think one of the few season one episodes that even among die-hard season one fans isn't really all that well-liked. To be fair I do feel like there are a handful of season one episodes that are a bit underrated, (Like Dragonshy, Ticket Master, and Best Night Ever which I think is by far the best Season one episode) but generally in these posts I have to spend a bunch of time trying to explain why I think the episode is not as good as people remember it being. This one I'm not going into trying to find major flaws so it's possible I might be far kinder to this episode then other ones.

For what it's worth the episode is written by Meghan McCarthy. Reddit's episode ranking gave it a 28.8 which is the lowest for any of her episodes she's done. (Although Hearts and Hooves Day is not too far off with a 29.5)

It isn't a season one rewatch for me if I don't complain about someone's voice being off. Cheerilee sounds a bit weird in a couple of her lines. Nothing major though but man these filly designs are so basic in the classroom. One is literally a recolored Scootaloo although I'm obviously not the first one to point this out. Also it worked in the show but what would Diamond Tiara have done if Cheerilee didn't notice the note being passed? Also why would Diamond Tiara expect Apple Bloom or Twist to show up? It's not like they're friends or anything.

Stupid nitpicking aside I never really liked Diamond Tiara or Silver Spoon as villains. Generally I feel that most of the major villains that the show has had over the years have been pretty good as they are usually fairly unique and different as well as being characters that can stand on their own. However I feel like most of the villains in the single episodes have generally been very weak as they are usually either purely there to exist as a foil for the main character of the episode (Like Suri, Lighting Dust, or Trixie) or are overdone clichés to the point where there is little unique or interesting about them. (Diamond Tiara, Flim and Flam, and Sunset Shimmer all fall under this category) I felt like Trixie really only came into her own as a character in Season 6 when she was finally able to be her own thing rather then being forced to be a foil for Twilight so the audience could see how bragging is wrong and that Twilight didn't brag, or have all of her personality traits stripped away and be forced to be a generically cruel bad guy. (Not a big fan of Magic Duel largely for these reasons. They basically took all the fun things out of her character)

Tying things back into the episode DT and SS don't do it for me. They largely exist to force the CMC to have conflict despite their normal life not really having any. They serve their role well enough but that doesn't mean I have to like them for it.

Like Winter Wrap up it really feels like they're stretched thin for ideas in this episode. Just not a whole lot of anything happens. Also I think there's a bit of inconsistency as Rainbow says she was the first to get her Cutie Mark in her class but the two bullies had their already. That being said it would totally be like Rainbow to lie about something like that to make herself sound better to impress Apple Bloom. Also it can't be understated how bad of an influence on the CMC Rainbow was given that they basically took her idea of getting a cutie mark (do as many things as fast as possible) and did it up until they finally got their marks.

The scene in the dojo looks really cool. I like Rainbow's robes and it's cool that you can see the Two Sisters as background designs for the doors. Gold star for that gets taken away though as the bush Apple Bloom jumps in to avoid being seen looks like it belongs in the background where you can barely make it out.

Caplain's observation that Pinkie doesn't do songs anymore is mostly true. I would like to add that she still had quite a few in Season 2, (Two in Baby Cakes and four ones in A Friend in Deed) and had the whole musical episode in Season 4. However, she had no dedicated songs in season 5 and the only ones that prominently featured her in season 6 were Pinkie's Present and It's Gonna Work. Looking back it's weird to think now that back in season 1 one of Pinkie's signature character traits was randomly busting out into song. Of the 17 "songs" that season one had 10 were from Pinkie, and none hers were more then 90 seconds long. I'm kinda glad they moved away from that as I felt that most of them weren't particularly good and having a character that just randomly bursts into song gets old fast. Also the song reminds me of this gem from back in the day when I (and what seemed like half the fandom) played TF2.

Man the second I heard the party music I had a wave of nostalgia. I can't remember every time it was used but I remember that song so well. Here's a link to it. At some point I need to do a post talking about the BGM of the show as I feel like it doesn't often get the credit it deserves.

Ok so DT and SS start picking on Apple Bloom while literally everyone at the party is watching and they just stand there smiling the whole time. They're clearly capable of doing other expressions so why do they not react like someone normally would? Also it works for the narrative but shouldn't an adult be telling them off for bullying her rather then two other kids that don't have a cutie mark? Like Twilight steps in later but it just seems weird. Also again it's been pointed out before but why don't they know about eachother? Also the ending just feels like a squeaky clean wrap-up and doesn't really feel earned. Apple Bloom clearly doesn't learn anything since she spends the every episode after that worrying about getting her mark, and the whole thing just comes together so it can be a dramatic reveal that there's others like her even though she should already know about them.

Also the background song that plays near the end of the party is pretty thug sad I can't find the actual BGM anywhere. (A guy called RainShadow does BGM uploads for pretty much all the episodes but he didn't start till season 4 I believe) Also like how they have to crowbar Twilight at the end there so she can send her letter. I'm glad they did away with that in Season 2 as it was annoying that they had to come up with some narrative reason for Twilight to be in every episode so she could blurt out the moral at the end. Removing that has given the writers a lot more creative freedom compared to season one.

I wanted to like it but there's just not a whole lot there to appreciate. It's not particularly humorous and it just drags on. Similar to Winter Wrap Up I feel like it was an episode that could have been wrapped up in 11 minutes but due to the show length it had to be dragged on. The whole episode just feels pointless which is pretty bad considering how important it is in terms of the overall story. None of the "lessons" that Apple Bloom was supposed to learn stick and like Sigma said it's just a weird reveal overall as Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle are super important characters that just randomly show up in the climax of the episode. Probably going to be the last time I watch this episode as even if you can get past Bloom's whining it's just boring to me aside from that one scene where she's trying to sell apples. ("I didn't put those in my bag" is funny largely due to how poorly the line is delivered) It's a milestone episode in the series as it introduces the 3 most important secondary characters in the show, but as an actual episode it's really weak.

I didn't like the CMC all that much at the time but they've been a part of a couple of my favorite episodes ever (Sisterhooves Social, For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils, and Sleepless in Ponyville, although Crusaders and Flight to the Finish are pretty good too. Sorry Applebloom but 7 episodes dedicated to you and you still haven't had a good one) so these days I feel like they justify their existence. At the time when there weren't a whole lot of episodes though (back in the season one and two days) the fact that they have generally led to fairly mediocre episodes stung harder. I think the biggest issue they had (besides writers really not knowing what to do with them) was that there was no real group dynamic. They mostly feel like interchangeable characters to the point where most scenes that they are all present you could swap their lines around and it would still make perfect sense. When they aren't being talked about in reference to their sisters they just don't have enough distinguishing characteristics besides Scootaloo likes doing high action stuff, Sweetie Belle doesn't get along with Rarity at times, and Applebloom is tight with her family.

Maybe someday we'll get to a Season 1 episode I like. But I'd like to show off an artist I saw on Reddit. It doesn't look like EQD posts his work (Probably because it's almost entirely EQG which doesn't usually get posted on there) so he might be new to you.

z5qaJon.png

pinkie_pie_by_rvceric-da15beq.png

mane_6_and_shadow_6_by_rvceric-d9bfr8m.png

Sources 1 2 3

Here's his Deviantart

Tabitha St. Germain voiced Rarity in the above Target commercial.

==

Episode Rewatch - Fall Weather Friends

I wasn't around to compare, but I can confirm that this episode is often cited as the main source of Applejack X Rainbow's popularity.

It was often assumed that earth ponies were stronger than the others, but the scene of Rainbow easily beating Applejack in "arm" wrestling definitely caused a lot of confusion with that. There still hasn't been clear confirmation that earth ponies are stronger, but that scene is generally considered an outlier now.

I'm surprised Calpain didn't bring up the controversy over whether or not Dash was really cheating by using her wings. Was she not cheating, and it was Applejack's fault for not making it clear in the rules? Is it fair to have pegasus ponies restrain their wings in competitions with earth ponies? Etc.

I haven't actually taken a close look until now, but the autumn backgrounds in this episode are actually quite nice, especially for season 1.
pk_white_tail_woods_thumbnails_by_makkon-d4oxpkd.jpg

Pinkie and Spike being co-commentators is another thing I'm surprised Calpain didn't bring up, especially that "grudge rhymes with fudge" scene. Come to think of it, have those two teamed up like this since?

When I watched this, I appreciated that Twilight only got fifth place in the end, as opposed to somehow beating everyone. Also, the fact that her entry number was 42 indeed excited a lot of fans, with its Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference.

Although, that does bring me to one big flaw with the race: the other racers. The number of racers is incredibly inconsistent, and they constantly change both in who and where they are. And at no point are there 42 racers.

It occurs to me is that it no longer makes sense to have a scene like this where Twilight shows up her friends. In this episode, it worked because she was the outsider, but now, she's a princess and one of the strongest ponies in the world, so it would just feel like her punching down. Of course, we wouldn't have the part where Dash and AJ underestimate and mock her now anyway. Unless it was about flying.

I keep forgetting that Celestia randomly appears at the end, despite this being the source of one of the most popular poses for Tyrant Celestia.

==

Pony History - Brony Documentary

2012 was a really busy time for the fandom, wasn't it? From the start, I was opposed to the idea of the brony documentaries. With this and especially the Brony Thank You Fund, which I'm sure will be covered later (and at least backed down from its goal and is currently a normal charity), it just felt like the fandom circlejerking. I was more OK with this than that, since John De Lancie was the impetus and not the fandom. I had completely forgotten about the funding problems, and the complaining about the supposed large number of people pirating the movie, despite the Kickstarter going way past the requested amount. I felt no sympathy.

==

MLP-themed Warhammer 40K figurine collection.

Memoir of Season 6 - Best Day of My Life - Again, not as good as the season 4 one.
MsMojo's top 10 MLP characters.
Ponygatari - Lyra in the fourth Bakemonogatari opening (the one that was super popular years ago). There's an important message at the end.
Amusing cover of "The Light of Your Cutie Mark" (from "Crusaders of the Lost Mark")

A new Twilight's First Day is finally out!

Canterlot
Ice Skating
Starlight's Kiss - Really Snowfall's kiss.
Flutter Arthas - Don't know what this is a reference to, but Fluttershy demanding your soul is always fun.
The Book Head Corner
Blow the foot of the mountain
Canterlotbycoma3921481673010416.png
IceSkatingbyCarouselUnique1481751553993.png
StarlightsKissbyluminaura1481751554186.png
Lumic4PatreonRewardFlutterArthasbyFidzFox1481751555161.jpg
ThebookheadcornerbyBugplayer1481923405507.png
BlowthefootofthemountainbyVinicius0405981481923407126.jpg

PaulloDEC

I haven't actually taken a close look until now, but the autumn backgrounds in this episode are actually quite nice, especially for season 1.
pk_white_tail_woods_thumbnails_by_makkon-d4oxpkd.jpg

Weird seeing these now; they're so different to what I think of when I picture the background art in FiM. If you told me they were from a different show I'd believe you.

Alright, since I have the time, I'm going to go through MLP's G3 offerings. Starting out, my view is that they likely aren't as bad as G4 fans make them out to be, but they aren't exactly good either. Still, at the very least, I prefer the G3 versions of the intro song over the G4 versions. Note that I won't bother with the baby videos, because that's going too far even for me. I'm going in the order listed on Wikipedia, so that might mean I'll miss something.

A Charming Birthday
These first three direct to video episodes were each packaged with a toy set. I've heard of Minty, who's the breakout character of G3 that hasn't appeared in G4 yet. I'm surprised she's appearing before the movie about her. The dialogue is pretty annoying, especially this one that keeps saying "Yes yes yes", Razzaroo. Rainbow Dash as a fabulous character is super weird. The character designs aren't very good, are bad at expressions, and are hard to tell apart. Many voice actors are carried over into G4, and you can tell, but they don't exactly have the best material here.

The story involves planning a birthday party for Kimono, who's too smart for the other ponies to ever surprise with a party, and they try to figure out how to do this. A lot of this episode involves Razzaroo going around introducing ponies, though it's kind of weird, because a character could appear for a while before getting introduced. The ponies are all making gift bracelets and get into an "argument" about which gift bracelet Kimono would wear first, so of course, they go to Kimono for advice about this. Minty is able to get the advice without spoiling the surprise, and they decide to make just one bracelet together for her, and start dancing in celebration. But then they forget that they decided to make just one bracelet, I guess, and everyone's making their own giant gift that's too big to be a bracelet. In the end, they are able to turn the gifts into a giant decoration and surprise Kimono with it.

Dancing in the Clouds
Skywishes has the ability to wish for things to happen, and then they do, as long as she catches a kite that appears. Another pony asks for inspiration for a dance, and after riding on a roller coaster with Skywishes, she gets it. At first I thought they were going to have the dance on the roller coaster, but they don't. Ponies have a hard time with the dance, so Skywishes wishes for help. Oddly enough, there's "to be continued" right in the middle of a scene without a cliffhanger. Following a kite, Skywishes comes across the first pegasus pony of these specials, Starcatcher, who can use magic. She shows Skywishes around the home of the pegasus ponies, but she says not to tell anyone about them. She's the reason Skywishes' wishes come true. As a last wish, Skywishes has Starcatcher use her magic to have everyone fly in the air. This somehow doesn't count as telling anyone about her, and no one questions how this happened.

Starcatcher has a sort of neat design, and the dialogue wasn't as bad as the previous story, but it's still a whole lot of nothing.

Friends are Never Far Away
Continuing the previous story, Starcatcher's demand to not be revealed to the others turns out to be weak enough that she can be bought off by an ice cream party, so Skywishes goes to town to plan it. It's funny seeing Rainbow Dash be incredulous about pegasus ponies existing. For some reason, the other pegasus ponies are afraid of going to Ponyville. This splitting of ponies makes me understand why some people like to present G3 as a post-apocalyptic world. The pegasus ponies work past their fears to enter Ponyville, but they are so tired that they go to sleep in the trees, and are then startled by singing and run away. The earth ponies decide to take the party to them instead, using hot air balloons. You know, I could swear this piano music has appeared in G4 at some point. Surprisingly this has the first lyrical song of these specials, "Make a New Friend Everyday". It isn't good. Out of nowhere, a pony named Honolulu appears and says "Aloha", but then nothing else about her seems Hawaiian. Weird.

Well, this one had a conflict, at least, though it didn't get the explanation it probably should have. Why are the ponies separated when it's so easy to reach each area? Why are they afraid?

A Very Minty Christmas
And now we reach the movies that were released by themselves. These movies are about 44 minutes long. The singing in this one is already better than in the previous one, though it still isn't great. Wait, Santa is still a human here?! Anyway, everyone is getting ready for Christmas, but Minty is messing everything up. She has gained an obsession with socks, which some cite as the source of the sock meme for G4 art. She destroys the candy cane that shows Santa the way to Ponyville and decides to get socks for everyone as a make-up present, pretending to be Santa and doing it in secret. She's caught by Pinkie Pie, who advises her to go to the North Pole and talk to Santa. Minty rushes off on her own before Pinkie can go with her, so Pinkie gathers everyone else to go help her. Indeed, Minty needs to be saved by everyone else. Getting to the North Pole is a quick and easy trip, but Santa is already gone when they get there. When they get back, Santa has fixed everything up; it turns out he's drawn by the magic of friendship, not candy canes. From Minty, Santa gets the idea of using stockings to store presents. At the end, they repeat a song from the beginning, despite it saying that Christmas is almost here. Also wait, they have a big castle, but no one seems to live in it.

Anyway, the songs are decent here for what they are, but it's all still pretty dumb.

==

I'll stop there for now. Overall, the stories are a whole bunch of nothing, with a lot of parties and party planning. A Very Minty Christmas at least had somewhat catchy songs.

PaulloDEC

You're a whole lot braver than me, Sigma. Now you've watched them so the rest of us don't have to!

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas, (or any other seasonal holiday they celebrate).

Ok, so I was typing up a new episode review like the Manehattan one I did a while back and I fudged things and had to start from scratch. Given that I had already invested like an hour into it I'm going to be cruising through most of the shit just to get back to where I was in the episode so most the stuff I'm about to say is going to be hella abridged until that point.

The episode I am doing for this post is episode 104: Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep? This episode has a bunch of hubbub about the moral and self-punishment but I'm not going to be talking about that in this post as I'm fairly unfamiliar with that kind of stuff and I don't feel comfortable talking about it. Its position on the Reddit survey was 90.2 making it the 14th highest rated episode on the poll. It was written by Scott Sonneborn with the episode concept coming from Jayson Thiessen and Jim Miller, two long-standing directors for the show. Scott's previous work is The Cutie Map, Trade Ya! and Somepony to Watch Over Me which is certainly a mixed bag. How does he fare here? Let's find out.

The beginning of this episode shows off the Mane 6's Rainbow Forms, making it I believe the only episode to utilize them besides Twilight's Kingdom where they were introduced. I went on a big rant about them in the original post but to sum it up quickly I feel like they are so grossly overpowered that they trivialize any big bad they'll ever come across and since there's no physical objects giving them the power they can't just steal something to prevent them from using them and on top of that they look ugly as sin too, so I'm glad that the writers have been more or less pretending that they don't exist.

Also I mentioned it a couple times and I'm sure I'll mention it several times later but the episode looks incredible. I really like the dark blue color scheme it uses (reminds me of the Nightmare Moon timeline in Cute Re-Mark and that's in my opinion the best looking scene in the whole show) and the art direction is incredible even by MLP standards.

The scene where Luna shows up in Rarity's dream is one of the very few where both of Tabitha's characters actually speak to each other. (Or possibly the only one can't recall) Also I want to use this moment to point out that Rarity was the only character that actually tried to fight the Tantibus as well as the only one that offered to follow Luna to help her defeat it, further proving that she is indeed best pony. One of the less mentioned aspects of Rarity's character is that she's actually very brave. Most characters in other shows and movies that are prim and emotional are usually portrayed as the damsel in distress but not Rarity. When the chips are down you can count on her to step up and tackle the problem head-on, and she's not afraid to get down and dirty if the situation calls for it. She's strong and independent and can take care of herself.

(As a side note this is where my comment was up to before I deleted it. Everything after this will be new stuff for me.)

Ok I really feel like Scott is trying to make up for having Rarity do nothing in The Cutie Map as once again she's the first person to suggest that they work with Luna to tackle the Tantibus which is cool and fitting for her character but it's just odd because usually that's Twilight's job.

The beginning of the shared dream really just feels like the leftover ideas from Slice of Life. Generally I'm not really a big fan of this kind of fan service so I don't really like it much here but at least it's short. Ok spoke too soon as pretty much all of the fighting is similar stuff. The magical girl transformation is a novel idea but it's kinda annoying that most the humor with Big Mac is about emasculating him. That's a topic for another time though.

The fight scene is a cool idea but a lot of this feels like pandering which again I don't always like. I don't want to just be a downer about this stuff but it just seems like Scott is going "let's just throw all the stuff the fandom likes into this" for the climax. It's also weird that Rainbow and AJ's big dream is being a character from Power Ponies. Anyway at some point someone yells at Scott that he has like 2 minutes to wrap shit up and Luna pretty much instantly forgives herself after like 5 lines of dialog. The Tantibus got bitch slapped even faster then Tirek which is impressive given that he was basically the previous record holder for having the least amount of buildup to their defeat. In all seriousness the ending is HORRIBLY rushed. From it being revealed that Luna's guilt is definitely the thing that's powering the Tantibus to the ending credits is 2 minutes. A lot of people say this episode should have been a two-parter but it would have worked fine if Scott had managed his time better and also progressed Luna's forgiveness of herself over the course of the episode rather then having a dialogue exchange that boils down to:

"Hey it seems that the smoke monster is powered by Luna feeling guilty over the whole Nightmare Moon thing"
"Yeah it is. I created it so I never forgave myself for it."
"Well you should forgive yourself for it because if you don't it will take over the world."
"Ok I forgive myself."

Overall it's a pretty cool idea for an episode and although I didn't like the pandering in the climax and the resolution is rushed as hell it's still a pretty cool episode. Like I said before it might just be the prettiest looking one part episode in the series' history. The production values are what you would normally see in a two-parter. If the moral and resolution was built up to and handled better I think it would be one of the best ever but as is it's still pretty good.

What's worth mentioning is that Season 5 really feels like it was almost written to be the final season of the show. There were a lot of continuing storylines that got closed. Twilight met her old friends and made amends with them. Luna finally forgave herself for Nightmare Moon. The fandom finally got their full on pandering episode. Twilight finally got a role to fill in the world as a princess and has her own student now to complete the circle. The show's longest running villain got reformed. And the big bad introduced at the beginning of the season went through a full reformation arc and had all of the loose ends wrapped up. Season 5 was made so if it was the last season ever, it would have had all the major plotlines resolved.

Unfortunately that isn't where the show ended, and so a couple problems arose from that. Evidently the show writers have no clue what to do with Diamond Tiara now that she's a good guy or how to cause conflict for CMC episodes as they can't rely on her for it. Also not only did the friendship montage at the end of season 5 ruin the possibility for two potentially great Starlight episodes (Her trying to win back the trust of both the mane 6 and her old village) but the sentiment that everything is all honky dory is completely shattered in the very first episode of the season as her portrayal over the season is her struggling to do the right thing and become a better person. Fortunately it seems that seasons in the immediate future are fairly secure what with Hasbro believing in the show so much they're having a whole blockbuster movie about it.

Hopefully it won't be as long till the next of these I do. I've had personal stuff but I also felt a bit daunted talking about the episode given its legacy and me not really having that strong an opinion on it.

I was planning on showing some other pictures but I've totally forgotten which ones they were so here's some ones from some guy called KingToby19. I like the thick outline style although I feel like his expressions could use some work:

jxLyjjO.png

KvkT2Ya.png

Se8M2ZI.png

7liVNtI.png

Source1 2 3 4

The Princess Promenade
This movie is notable for having been reviewed by Obscuras Lupa in 2011, after FiM came out but seemingly before she became aware of it. I forgot the Breezies were introduced here. They're really saccharine here, especially with this song. Of course, all the ponies are sitting like humans. The previous specials were surprisingly light on songs, so it's surprising to see another one so soon. Oh hey, it's Twilight! Wysteria is voiced by Tabitha St. Germain, which is weird. Though looking at the credits, she also voiced Minty, which I didn't realize. Wysteria's voice is somewhat close to Rarity's. I notice that this dialogue contains a bit of the sarcasm and self-awareness that people praised early FiM for, but what surrounds this is of lower quality. British butler Spike is interesting, but they're spending so much time on him smelling bad and needing a bath, even having a song about it. Just get on with it! To paraphrase Monty Python, strange dragons handing out flowers is no basis for a system of government. Plus, if the only royalty around isn't doing any planning, what is the point of having any in the first place?

Though they don't do much with it, the fact that Wysteria was the planner before she became a princess reminds me of Twilight. Anyway, the story involves Wysteria wanting to help with a parade, but being stopped by Spike, who says princesses don't do this. Eventually, she decides to just do what she wants, and Spike basically threatens suicide, but he's talked out of it. I don't remember when the three Breezies got separated, but I guess they did, and now they have a happy reunion. The fact that Wysteria declares everyone a princess has gotten a lot of attention for how silly it is. My view is that they seemed to be going somewhere with Wysteria deciding to be her own type of princess, and this just undermines that.

The songs here are a downgrade from A Very Minty Christmas, which themselves weren't FiM-quality.

I also rewatched Lupa's review. I forgot the most frustrating part, where she talks about how nostalgic she is for the old show, and then is disappointed by this, despite FiM already being out by this time.

The Runaway Rainbow
After all the hubbub about everyone being a princess, odd that this title emphasizes a Crystal Princess. And what, the unicorns were super close too?! Well, I guess this being a different town means Wysteria's declaration doesn't apply to them. It's weird that Rarity is younger than everyone else here. Wait, is this going to be a repeat of the previous movie?! It has the same "being a princess sucks" stuff. Also, there's a different princess every year, apparently. When Rarity meets the Breezies, her line, "I'm Rarity," sounded exactly like G4 Spike, which was weird, even knowing they have the same VA. In general, she randomly sounds like G4 Spike a lot.

Anyway, the story is that young Rarity accidentally teleports out of Unicornia to Ponyville, where she goes around messing everything up. Eventually she wants to go home, and they get help from Spike, who provides a map. It seems whenever the ponies go on an adventure, the only actual danger can be hanging off a cliff, though in this case, they also added a waterfall. The Breezies save three ponies that fell in one at a time, but two ponies in, they apparently forget about the third, and she has to be saved by others. Anyway, the ponies are separated in the woods, including the unicorns looking for Rarity, and there's a duet that's almost OK, but there are some dumb lines. Plus, everyone is reunited soon after anyway.

They get back too late to bring the first rainbow of the year, which turns out to affect everyone's manes and other things. But of course, they make things right. The last song has a lot of running and jumping on two legs. Also, I didn't actually pay attention to this until now, but what the hell is with the rainbows in this world? They go from yellow to blue, not including red, orange, or violet.

Come Back, Lily Lightly
After that, the specials shift to being shorts. Or so I thought, but this one is clearly DTV movie length.

OK Seriously, how many different celebrations do these ponies have?! There was a moment with really weird juggling animation. Lily Lightly is randomly made a princess for no reason (this is Unicornia, which didn't have Wysteria's decree), which makes her nervous and her horn glows. Rarity out of nowhere has a song about giggling. One consistent problem with G3 songs is the inclusion of "tee hee hee" in the lyrics. Lily's horn glows again, and she runs away out of embarrassment . She meets a firefly with a terrible voice. Lily has a song that seems like it might be going OK, but then the firefly joins in, and it goes horribly wrong. Anyway, ponies go looking for her, and they find her. She returns, everyone accepts her for who she is, and she somehow has a dress appear out of nowhere.

OK, I guess this upload just has all of the shorts together.

Two for the Sky
A pony lives in a library like Twilight, and some ponies come to her for her storytelling club. Odd that this is a story within a story. This pony has an oddly complicated ritual to figure out what story to tell, involving using magic to spin a wheel on her cutie mark. Weird how the G3 ponies have insects for animal companions. Bugs aren't cute.

Anyway, the story involves two earth ponies that are LIKE TWINS (as they say over and over) that want to fly. Despite being a story, I think some of the ponies and Breezies are the same as in previous specials, so is this nonfiction in-universe? It turns out these friends that are LIKE TWINS sleep in the same bed, which is weird. Anyway, the two friends wake up with wings that resemble Rarity's from "Sonic Rainboom". After a song of them enjoying flying, they suddenly decide they don't like flying, and then it turns out they were dreaming. They get triple the amount of ice cream as celebration for being stuck on the ground, and the listeners decide to get ice cream too, making me think the ice cream salespony is behind all this.

Positively Pink
Everyone forgot about Pinkie Pie's birthday, but they decide to quickly put together a surprise party, and hide this from her. Pinkie gets confused as everyone avoids her. Doesn't this sound familiar? Though Pinkie gets distracted by a scavenger hunt, so no mind breaking. Anyway, she's distracted, despite the other ponies seemingly going out of their way to work on the party in front of her, and she enjoys the party. But then it her birthday is actually tomorrow, so they decide to celebrate both days.

==

After this point, we're in the home stretch, as we have the "Core 7" era and Generation 3.5, so I'll stop here for now. I was fairly patient yesterday, but I found myself getting more openly annoyed this time around.

Today's specials mark the final part of G3, the Core 7 era, where they tried to push Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Starsong, Sweetie Belle, Cheerilee, Toola Roola, and Scootaloo as the faces of MLP, with Pinkie as the leader. A problem that Hasbro had with MLP for a long time was the inability to tie recognizable characters to the brand. With Transformers, you had Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream, etc. who fans could get attached to and thus look forward to in new toy lines. It wouldn't be until G4 that these efforts would actually succeed. It's inevitable that G5, when it happens, will use a lot of G4 characters with their G4 personalities.

Pinkie Pie's Special Day
There's a bit of an art style shift, and some of the voices have changed. In particular, Rainbow Dash's voice and speaking style is completely different, and she's no longer obsessed with being fabulous and calling everyone darling. Anyway, the story is that everyone comes to Pinkie's house to congratulate her for all the great things she did. It's revealed that Pinkie has a weird ritual to come up with an idea called a squink (thinking + winking), and this thought is projected in a visible thought bubble. There's a maraca pony with an accent. Bizarrely, they start having flashbacks to A Very Minty Christmas... and also Positively Pink... and more. Was that first part with the squink another special I missed? Though these flashbacks do show that the differences in art quality between specials were more drastic than I realized.

I can't believe these specials needed a recap special.

(INSERT CHARACTER)'s Party
A series of five-minute shorts about parties held by each of the Core 7.

Pinkie Pie - Pinkie has a bad daydream about her party going wrong, so everyone comes over early to help. Oven mitts somehow bend at the fingers. Pinkie lists what everyone is good at, but their only characteristics besides those are catchphrases. Pinkie tells Rainbow that she loves what they're wearing, but they're only wearing party hats.

Rainbow Dash - Rainbow is giggling in a pile of clothes, so they have a hat fashion show party. The hats all do stuff. Rainbow can't decide who has the best hat, so everyone is declared the winner.

Cheerilee - Cheerilee is having a slumber party. They all dress up and do other stuff. Cheerilee tells a scary story, and the floor starts creaking, which scares everyone. It's just a mouse, which you'd think would be of concern anyway. Cheerilee did even less in the story than the previous two.

Scootaloo - Scootaloo doesn't know what kind of party to have. While Pinkie thinks, Scootaloo does a bunch of sporty stuff, so they decide on a sports party. Once again, everyone is tied in the competition, so they declare Scootaloo the winner for holding such a great party.

Starsong - Starsong repeats the song from "Come Back, Lily Lightly" to announce a karaoke party. Sweetie Belle is worried she isn't a good enough singer, but Pinkie reveals that Starsong used to be shy, and in the flashback, Starsong is singing another previous song, "Make a New Friend Everyday". The flashback has Pinkie tell her to hold a karaoke party, which made me think, "Wait, is this flashback from that very day?" but no, it's a different one. Sweetie Belle is encouraged by the story, and sounds a lot like G4 Pinkie at one point (same VA). The singing isn't as obnoxious, so the repeated songs are actually better here.

Toola Roola - Toola Roola holds a party where you paint your own plate. Everyone leaves to let the paint dry, and wind mixes up the cutie mark cards marking whose is whose. Pinkie and Toola try to fix it. It should be a complete nonissue, because they could just remember their own, and indeed, they do. They eat cake off of their newly painted plates, which seems like a bad idea. I now notice a lot of the background music is instrumental versions of previous G3 songs.

Sweetie Belle - Everyone is drawing cake they want for Sweetie Belle's cake party. They bring their ideas to her, which is good, because Sweetie has run out of ideas. Everyone starts putting their own ingredients in the cake batter, which results in one cake that tastes bad. Sweetie teaches them that following directions is a good thing. They work together to make a good cake, but by the end, everyone's too full to eat the final cake.

Starsong and the Magic Dance Shoes
Pinkie loses Starsong's shoes, and her own shoes. Starsong arrives, and they look together. As it turns out, the shoes got up and walked away on their own, dancing to music. After putting on music, the shoes come back without them noticing. They put them on and start dancing, and tell the audience to dance too. They dance for a while.

Rainbow Dash's Special Day
Everyone has forgotten Rainbow's special day, and they get ready for it. They draw her out of the house with a box they say is from Paris, France (I'd say this is weird, but FiM also randomly mentioned France once), but it actually has her friends. OK, this is a recap too, but will this change the voices in the old clips? Indeed, the voice has been dubbed over. It's pretty obvious that the old Rainbow had a completely different speaking style, since the new VA has to speak differently to match the clips. The different voice at least makes this a bit more interesting than "Pinkie Pie's Special Day".

Pinkie Pie's Ferris Wheel Adventure
And now we reach G3.5, the part most G4 fans probably think of what they think of G3. This is where everyone gets new designs with freakish hooves and even bigger heads. One thing that's kind of interesting is that everyone is different sizes, which is more than G4 does. They also have unique hairstyles now, while they all had the same ones before. While the background art wasn't all that great before, it's gotten really flat and boring now. Surprisingly, we start to see some of G4 Pinkie's personality here, with her playing various roles in an amusement park.

Sweetie Belle's Gumball House Surprise
This is the one I've seen before, along with many other G4 fans. This is the one with the really dumb treasure hunt around the playset house. How did they not see her when they rode the spinning elevator?! And other questions.

Twinkle Wish Adventure
AT LONG LAST THE END. It's winter again, but this time there's a narrator that the characters sometimes talk to. Oh hey, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle are actually supposed to be fillies, that explains why they're smaller. I guess that didn't actually come from G4. Cheerilee is Scootaloo's older sister?! I'm kind of surprised this detail hasn't leaked into the G4 fandom. Everyone rushes off to do make decorations, leaving Cheerilee behind, so she gets depressed. Oh, here's where that dumb "stuffy stuff" clip comes from. I thought this would be the main story, but no, they remember Cheerilee soon enough and go to her.

Not!Mayor Mare judges the ornaments they put on the Winter Wishes tree, and Cheerilee wins, so she's given responsibility over the box holding Twinkle Wish. The box absolutely cannot be opened until the next day, otherwise Twinkle Wish will wake up early and won't have enough magic for the Winter Wishes ceremony. This Father Ted clip about sums it up. Twinkle Wish is horrifying, and she brings destruction. A female dragon happens to be flying by and captures her. Cheerilee is upset at Scootaloo for causing all this, which forms a subplot throughout the special.

Not!Mayor Mare comes by again (hasn't it just been a few minutes?) to check up, and they lie to her that everything's OK. They see that the dragon has flown to a mountain that no pony has ever been to before. To get there and back in time, they decide to take Pinkie's hot air balloon. Rainbow Dash brings a bunch of luggage, which they have her leave. The balloon still only fits four ponies, so Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle are forced to stay behind (Starsong can fly). The hot air balloon song is alright.

Weather near the mountain causes them to crash, so they walk through the woods leading up to it. The narrator suddenly returns to say Toola Roola is afraid of the dark, which Toola Roola says out loud right after, so why? At night, Pinkie is able to get pink fireflies to light up the night and sing them to sleep. It turns out Pinkie can talk to anything pink. The journey up the mountain is incredibly easy, despite all the hype.

They go into the dragon's cave, where it turns out the dragon is only using Twinkle Wish to judge her dresses, and she warmly greets them. The dragon, Whimsy Weatherbee, just wants friends, and took Twinkle Wish thinking it was a toy that could be used to entertain them. The ponies sing to her about what friends are, and this isn't as good as the previous one. The narrator says that Whimsy knew she should give Twinkle Wish back, but was worried about losing her. Then Whimsy says it out loud. The ponies tell her to come to the festival, but the dragon thinks it's a trick, and refuses.

The ponies are forced to go back to the ceremony to explain their mistake. Everyone makes up with everyone. Whimsy decides to come to the festival after all, bringing Twinkle Wish. Twinkle Wish is too sleepy to grant wishes, but Pinkie announces that everyone's wish came true already. It's minor stuff like them finding the dragon cave in time. There's still one wish that didn't come true: snow. Whimsy is able to use cold breath to make snow, but fucking Sweetie Belle can't leave well enough alone, and is disappointed the snow isn't pink. Thankfully Twinkle Wish has enough magic left to grant that wish. There's another song at the end that takes place in spring I guess, and it's alright. Wait, never mind, it turns into winter at the end.

==

In the end, there wasn't much good about G3 after all. It really was just generic girly stuff, and it some ways, it actually got worse as it went on. The earlier specials had a bit of world building and adventuring, for instance, even if it was lame and didn't really make much sense. However, as few as there were, the songs in the Core 7 era seemed to be much better than before. Still not G4 quality, though.

I kind of liked Starsong, even though it's mainly just due to her color scheme and voice, and perhaps superficial similarities with Fluttershy. I know Minty has her fans too, so I would appreciate them appearing in FiM.

If I absolutely had to recommend something G3 to watch, then I suppose it would be "Starsong's Party", which has decent singing. A Very Minty Christmas has its fans, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. But if you had to watch one of the movies, and not just a short, that would be it.

==

On another note, the new My Hero Academia chapter briefly featured a character named Tsunotori Pony, who is an American transfer student. People at the MHA thread are pretty convinced that she's supposed to be an MLP reference, and that the creator even said as much, but they haven't been able to remember where he said this yet. Here's where people start talking about her in the MHA thread.

The panels where she appears. Note that she's supposed to be speaking Japanese awkwardly, hence the translation. Read right to left.
tumblr_oiyqc9bkH11sf4rwio1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oiyqszhV2P1rx466vo1_500.png

PaulloDEC

Well, it's just gone midnight here in Australia, so Happy New Year all!

This seems appropriate.
This is the big one guys. 2017 means Season 7 and the MLP movie, with an uncertain future beyond. Looking forward to facing the twists and turns with all of you here.

Happy New Year. Before the year ends over here, I'll dump my backlog.

Moon's Lull
Coffee in Canterlot
Happy Winter Solstice
Flutterbox
MoonsLullbyAssasinMonkey1482097395437.png
Sciset43CoffeeinCanterlotbyLittleTweenframes1482267109815.png
bydstears1482350402132.png
Flutterboxbymysticalpha1482792752312.jpg

Luna
PONY LIVE
Snow war
Lean On Me
Lunabysimpleoddities1482877768158.png
thumb.jpeg
SnowwarbyHalem19911482963901805.png
LeanOnMebyDocWario1483217098456.png

Main Six art from the same artist. Just linking Twilight.
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg

TJ Pones started this meme.
thumb.png

And here are my favorite followups. (Only the last is not from TJ Pones)
Tiny Janeway
Tiny 7 of 9
Tiny Rainbow Dash
thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.png

Main Six height chart - Lauren Faust said that if they had the time and budget, she would have liked for the ponies to have had different body shapes. Lots of fan artists have taken up that task, but I like this, because the differences aren't as extreme as usual. Well, the difference between Rainbow and Fluttershy is a bit too much, but still.
mane_six___height_comaprisons_by_dilarus-dase48f.jpg

Santa's not coming to town - Comic where Twilight's father explains that Santa isn't real to her.

Paullo, you have some competition. Another guy making a series timeline, though this applies just to episode order. Trying to order episode using events that happen in our world at particular times of the year (like bunny censuses and apple harvests) is new, I think. One particularly odd thing that stuck out to me is how "Applebuck Season" takes place so much later than when it airs, despite Twilight asking in the episode why the Apple family members from the pilot don't help Applejack. Still, it's all in good fun.

Pinkie Tales: The Little Mermare - There are several of these, but this is the first one I've watched fully. These videos present fairy tales (mainly Disney versions) with ponies playing the roles, with the stories adjusted a bit to match. Art is sourced from a variety of artists, but the early part of this video has some really nice art. I found this one really charming, and the time just flew by. I particularly liked Rarity's role, for some reason.

And finally, Happy New Year from the ponies! (Short animation to Twilight's "We Wish You a Merry Christmas (And a Happy New Year)")

DemWalls

Happy new year guys, even though I'm not really into such celebrations.

I'm sorry if I don't participate much in the discussion, but I've been terribly busy lately. Then again, I don't think I'd have anything interesting to say :p

PaulloDEC

Main Six height chart - Lauren Faust said that if they had the time and budget, she would have liked for the ponies to have had different body shapes. Lots of fan artists have taken up that task, but I like this, because the differences aren't as extreme as usual. Well, the difference between Rainbow and Fluttershy is a bit too much, but still.
mane_six___height_comaprisons_by_dilarus-dase48f.jpg

I really like this. You're right about Dash (she's almost comically small here) but otherwise I think it looks great. Flutters as the willowy beauty and Pinkie as the chubby cake-fiend just feel right.

Paullo, you have some competition. Another guy making a series timeline, though this applies just to episode order. Trying to order episode using events that happen in our world at particular times of the year (like bunny censuses and apple harvests) is new, I think. One particularly odd thing that stuck out to me is how "Applebuck Season" takes place so much later than when it airs, despite Twilight asking in the episode why the Apple family members from the pilot don't help Applejack. Still, it's all in good fun.

I was a little startled when I first read about this, but luckily for me they picked the much harder task! I don't envy them trying to untangle that knot of seasons and events and other madness.

Happy new year guys, even though I'm not really into such celebrations.

Don't worry about it, I spent the night playing Overwatch and Warcraft 3 mods and watching Westworld. No regrets.

I'm sorry if I don't participate much in the discussion, but I've been terribly busy lately. Then again, I don't think I'd have anything interesting to say :p

It can be pretty quiet around here nowadays, especially in the off-season. I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about later in the year when things start ramping up.

New Years art
Happy 2017
Happy New Year!
Happy2017byTwillyBrownie1483305975378.png
HappyNewYearbyMomoMistress1483305975999.png

A new level of knockoffs: My Sweetie Belle
Capture.JPG

Drunk Fluttershy plays the Wii (New Years special) - The fan voice actor actually was drunk for this video, so I'm impressed she mostly stayed in character. Even if that mainly involved just saying "yay" every once in a while.
"We Are Number One" (LazyTown) Fluttershy cover - By the above VA.
"We Are Pinkie Pies" - Another "We Are Number One" cover, but with Pinkie, and the lyrics changed to take place during "Too Many Pinkie Pies".

Let's try another fan art event. This time, it isn't a character that should be carried over to the next post, but rather something about the subject of the art or a theme. If the first bit of art depicts Pinkie flying through the air smiling with balloons, the next art can depict flying, balloons, or smiling. The next fan art should have none of the characters in the previous post, but the post after can go back to using those characters. So, after the Pinkie art example, the next art could be Party Favor (from Starlight's village) making balloon animals during a party that also has Sugar Belle making cookies. That art has a theme of partying, so the art after that could be Pinkie holding a party.

It's pretty open ended, but it should be clear what connects one art piece to another.

Let's start with this.

New Year ROCKS
CMNewYearROCKSbybakki1483305977441.jpg

So the next art can't have any of the Main Six + Sunset, but a potential theme is rocking out, or someone watching a performance.

PaulloDEC

Hella adorable.

Unrelated, exciting news for comic dorks and lore dorks alike!

In April this year the ongoing "Friends Forever" comic series is being replaced by a new "Legends of Magic" line. Rather than paraphrase, I'll just post the info from writer Jeremy Whitley below:

"My Little Pony: Legends of Magic” is a tremendous opportunity for both us as comic creators and our readers to get a chance to really dive into the rich mythological history of the My Little Pony world. The long history of the world is so often hinted at in the show and now we have the chance to pick up on all those little hints and fill in all the rich details. It gives us a chance to tell different sorts of stories and follow mythological members of the cast who have only ever appeared in stories and flashbacks. It gives us an opportunity to work very closely with the show without having to tell stories that are happening at the same time. It will be a must read for big time My Little Pony fans!”

Posted about it in the OT.

A new fan musical starring Luna that isn't a Nightmare Moon origin story: "Spare"

The song is oddly similar to "For the First Time in Forever" from Frozen. The lyrics are pretty dumb, but it's clearly intentional. The singing is good, and the animation is nice. FAKE EDIT: Oh, it's literally a cut song from Frozen. So the only thing fan-made is the animation, which is alright, but now it's less impressive knowing they didn't made the song too.

Silver Quill's review of Friends Forever #7 managed to more or less perfectly match my own views on the issue, particularly in how it gets weaker once Pinkie and Luna actually start interacting, but gets better again once it gets to the more serious stuff.

Demo for fangame Day Dreaming Derpy, which looks really good, but I still haven't played it.

Ask Frigid Drift #1 - A new Ask Pony blog, but in video form with cute art and animation. This guy also made a bunch of other great animations, Pony and otherwise, so check them out.

Oh hey, Ponymotes are back!
Walking Backwards
"A Canterlot Wedding Part 2" Deleted Scene
There are two other recent ones, but I don't like them as much.

Custom figurines
Royal Hugs
Rising Moon
RoyalHugsbyAlexCroft19911484346343908.jpg
RisingMoonbyGroovebird1484346347914.png

Princess Cadance
Happy Lunar New Year
Prayer of Hope
PrincessCadancebySugarberryArt1484601016983.png
HappyLunarNewYearbyWindyMils1485030041941.png
prayer_of_hope_by_kawaiipony2-daw5eg2.jpg

"I Will Be There" - Cover and animatic of a song from the musical version of The Count of Monte Cristo, and I'm actually really impressed by this. It isn't fully animated, but it works well with the music, and the singing is good (especially from Fluttershy), so it's definitely worth checking out. This comes from the person that does the Pinkie Tales videos, among others.
Starlight and the Strange Castle - From the person who does the season Look Back videos and some other animations.

Yooo, so I guess this thread is now taking turns in dying with the S6 thread since most the new stuff is for season 7 and the comics but there's a couple things I want to drop here. First up, part 2 of DWK's Equestria Girls Totally Legit videos dropped, and since he's my new favorite Youtuber I thought I would show him off. He's definitely got a unique sense of humor and it's not for everyone but if you haven't seen any of his stuff before you should definitely check him out. (Here's part 1)

Next up there was an interview with the Lead Designer for the upcoming MLP tabletop game Tails of Equestria that got thrown up on youtube a couple days ago and it doesn't seem like EQD posted it so it's something that some of you might have not seen. It's a little over 27 minutes long so for those wanting the TL:DR here's what stuck out to me:

> Alessio Cavatore (The interviewee) has previously done work on Warhammer 40k as well as creating a new version of Warhammer in 2006. He's also the founder of River Horse (Created in 2010 so not a reference) which he has worked with to make a Terminator Genisys miniatures game as well as the Labyrinth Board Game. Don't know the scene that much personally but he's apparently a pretty big deal.

> The game is intended for all ages, many systems are light on mechanics and left up to GM interpretation

> Takes most of its themes from the show. Larger focus on working out problems through talking and helping people out rather then combat. There is a combat system in place that he describes as being perhaps a bit too ambitious given the target demo. He described combat as being more "comedic" and with failure resulting in you getting knocked out and possibly captured rather then killed.

> Base rulebook will feature only Earth Ponies, Unicorns, and Pegasi as playable races, with Dragons, Griffons, and Changelings (!) being released in future material. Alicorns were briefly mentioned but he neither confirmed nor denied that they would be added later (I'm guessing they probably will at some point)

Probably forgot a few things. If you want to check it out yourself, you can find it here.

To close things out I'll go ahead and show off some art that apparently is from an artist I've linked before. It's (I assume I don't know the holiday) a bit late but here's the picture for Chinese New Year:

U4d5UHK.png

Source

The changes to the combat system to take children into account is interesting. I'm sure other kid-friendly RPGs do similar things, but I didn't even think about it.

I was going to start another fan art even, but we're pretty close to the end of the page, and this page takes a while to load for me now, so I'll hold off until the next page.

Regardless, random fanart.

Popstar
The Spoik
Paper Twilight
Paper Pinkie
Paper Rarity
PopstarbyVanillaGhosties1485122591112.png
TheSpoikbyLOCKHE4RT1485122594500.png
PaperTwilightbyMoonraige1485122594498.png
PaperPinkiebyMoonraige1485122597142.png
PaperRaritybyMoonraige1485122595138.png

Pet Sitting
Gummy
Starlight and Trixie Marvel Cosplays
Alternate Ending
Fluttershy
PetSittingMLPFanartbyNeytirix1485122590493.jpg
GummybyTsitra3601485204244881.png
StarlightandTrixieMarvelCosplaysbyvest1485204246241.jpg
AlternateEndingbyCannibalus1485300252389.png
FluttershybyPsychoTheOne1485470418022.png

Ponymotes - A Good One
Comic - Keep Calm and Sleep

In the British Writer's Guild Awards, ”English for Pony Lovers" won Best Radio Comedy. It isn't currently online, but I reviewed it while it was, and it was pretty good, and surprisingly respectful of the entire MLP thing. In the story, a German woman is trying to learn better English in order to connect with her daughter, who happens to write MLP shipfics in English.

Earlier I posted a dubbed animatic based on the musical version of The Count of Monte Cristo. It turns out the animatic was made by someone else and the video just added a dub. Here are MLP animatics for five of the songs, still with the original singing.

In another example of odd foreign material, a Polish book is coming called Rainbow Dash and the Treasure from Donkeyville.

And in odd domestic material, dog costumes.
1.jpg

And then,

unnamed.jpg

Those eyes.

EDIT:

It turns out the Donkeyville book is being released in English.
dashcover.png
dashpage3.png
dashpic.png

EDIT: Woah, just noticed, the internal illustrations of that book appear to be using the movie designs! Note the ears.

So I imagine pretty much everyone here already knows about this but Equestria Daily just dropped a video on YouTube promoting their website. If you aren't familiar with the site (I doubt I'm talking to anyone here but it doesn't hurt to bring it up) Equestria Daily is pretty much THE website when it comes to everything surrounding the show. It is an amazing source to find info on pretty much you can think of that's pony related, and with a couple of exceptions almost everything that me and Sigma post in the threads here on Gaf come from that site. Unfortunately the site appears to be having issues with attracting new people to check out the site as it is screwed over extremely hard by Google's algorithms. Again it's the most famous site for the show and it's one that is extremely frequently linked here but if by some cosmic coincidence there are people reading this post that haven't been to the site before, it would behoove you to check it out. You'll find a lot more news, art, and other stuff pony-related then the occasional dumps that are posted here and a lot sooner as well. For those that already know about EQD, you can still check out the youtube ad that they've come up with as well as the article they have released discussing the promotion of the site going forward. EQD is a cornerstone of the fandom and is by far the best way for new content creators to get the word out about their creations so a healthy EQD is integral for the continued health of the community.

In honor of my unpaid shilling for Equestria Daily I think it's fitting to show off Seth's favorite pony.

Fz0Mp2v.png

source

Remix of "Out on My Own" (Apple Bloom's song from season 6)
YouTube link for "Catch a Falling Star", which was previously DeviantArt only
Snow Day - Another in that series of human Derpy videos

Two more of those super short Equestria Girls Minis shorts, with these taking place in the classroom. The first has Celestia, and the second has Photo Finish. I keep forgetting she's supposed to be a student too, which would mean she's around the same age as the Main Six.

Fighting is Magic C&Ds haven't ended, as one of the big modding groups for the incomplete game, MEGA, got one. They're the ones who were in the process of adding Trixie and Gilda to the game, and completing the Main Six.

I can't recall if it was here that someone wondered if ED would bother to take notice when there's a second MLP video that reaches 100 million views, but they did, with "What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me".

Another Friendship is Dragons comic that was kind of clever. It's adapting "Sonic Rainboom" under a Dungeons & Dragons system, and when Rarity appears with her wings, it's revealed there's a hypnotic spell tied to it, so everyone has to roll a will save.

A guy is buying up the expired domains that Trump linked to in old tweets, and made one link to a pony convention video.

RD
Magic
Horse book pounce
http://flourret.deviantart.com/art/Flurries-661599295
RDbyGiangHanez28801486158401729.png
MagicbyMyralilth1486158406464.png
HorsebookpouncebyCelebiYoshi1486245308172.png
FlurriesbyFlourret1486330336447.jpg

LoveCake

I think Belle Eve would be a great introduction for fellow GAFfers. YMMV, though, I suppose.

I was looking about the internet today at work (I cannot get on GAF at work only view it) anyway I was looking about on the internet and ended up on a site where they don't like us very much, anyway they had an image of Belle Eve and that it was the mascot! I have never heard of Belle Eve before.

36ZcW3g.png

Does Belle Eve have any powers or special abilities?

I have looked about but could only find this thread with any mention.

Belle used to be a much bigger deal. Fan artists came to these threads a lot in the early days, who would draw her, and she even appeared on major blogs like Ask Gamer Luna (SFW spinoff of Ask Princess Molestia) around E3. Unfortunately, we don't really get fan artists here anymore, so there isn't much opportunity to do much with her. In hindsight, she probably should have been in the episode guide after all.

As for character details, there aren't much. She likes games but complains about them. I don't think there was even much effort put into integrating GAF memos.

FYI, there's art of her in this thread's OP. You can find more by searching "neogaf" on Derpibooru.
EDIT: Actually, searching for Belle Eve is probably better.

LoveCake

Belle used to be a much bigger deal. Fan artists came to these threads a lot in the early days, who would draw her, and she even appeared on major blogs like Ask Gamer Luna (SFW spinoff of Ask Princess Molestia) around E3. Unfortunately, we don't really get fan artists here anymore, so there isn't much opportunity to do much with her. In hindsight, she probably should have been in the episode guide after all.

As for character details, there aren't much. She likes games but complains about them. I don't think there was even much effort put into integrating GAF memos.

FYI, there's art of her in this thread's OP. You can find more by searching "neogaf" on Derpibooru.
EDIT: Actually, searching for Belle Eve is probably better.

She likes games but complains about them NeoGAF in a nutshell!

Some on that site are very good, pity she isn't utilized more here as a mascot, more relevant than GAFman tbh, I will be using this from now on here as a 'hype' gif,

qWb6e5G.gif

This one is especially good,

AwlEzLI.jpg

Steamquestria is finally complete! Or rather, egophiliac's explanation for what was supposed to happen. There's some pretty interesting stuff, so check it out. I definitely think her insistence on planning things out to adapt show stories was the wrong move, though, and is probably what led to her giving up on the comic.

In old news, Rainbow Dash Burgers exist.

From the creator of the Mentally Advanced series, a video with the characters commenting on the 4chan Cup.
Ask Frigid Drift #2 - The cuteness is a bit forced, but it's still cute, I suppose.
Weird Blob Pony symphony

EDIT: It's Cadance and Shining Armor Day at ED, and this comic compilation post reminded me about CSImadmax, who mysteriously disappeared in 2014 after claiming she had an "involuntary newly found nomad-like style of life" and thus would have a hard time making comics. I hope she's alright.

On a lighter note, fun Valentine's Day cards from Sunshine and Moonbeams.
thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.png

The Art of Spreading a Smile
Sisters on Orbit
Dragon Empress
Flitter + Cloudchaser
TheArtOfSpreadingASmilebyDevinian1486595409185.jpg
SistersonOrbitbyRodrigues4041486853360656.png
DragonEmpressbyMaoOokaneko1486939450302.png
FlitterCloudchaserbykawaiipony21486939451194.jpg

Big Mac at home
Flurry teen sketches
A Hearts and Hooves Gift
BigMacathomefullbyviwrastupr1486939453769.png
FlurryteensketchesbyFlourret1487108777556.jpg
AHeartsAndHoovesGiftbyGlitterStar20001487108778499.jpg

Chrysalis discovers Equestria
Pony bath
Flutters
I lick you a lot
ChrysalisdiscoversEquestriaFullbyviwrastupr1487108786844.png
ponybathbyteranen1487198553387.png
FluttersbySugarlessPaints1487286607055.jpg
ILickyoualotbythediscorded1487286610211.png

Tara Strong's birthday cake is that old Twilight fanart she likes trolling people with. Note where one of the candles is. Not embedding.

Preview of the Tails of Equestria RPG by Tabletop Weekly
Cover of "Celestia's Ballad" by Elias Frost
Continuing the odd fad, another animatic of a Count of Monte Cristo song, from a different person, in Russian.

Friendship is Dragons 870. I was amused by the way they integrated a bunch of episodes into "Sonic Rainboom". Context is that Pinkie's player decided there must be a secret gambling ring for the Young Flyer's Competition, and rolled a natural 20 for streetwise, so the DM had to oblige, leading to this huge side story.

EDIT: Pony History - Brony Thank You Fund, AKA the single cringiest moment of the fandom. The article goes into little detail and focuses on the positive, but it wasn't originally a charity. It was literally just raising money for a commercial that did nothing but thank the crew, for absolutely no reason, because the crew was already well aware of the fans. Thankfully, after much prodding from fans, they had the commercial both thank the crew and promote charities, and now it's still doing charity stuff.

PaulloDEC

EDIT: Pony History - Brony Thank You Fund, AKA the single cringiest moment of the fandom. The article goes into little detail and focuses on the positive, but it wasn't originally a charity. It was literally just raising money for a commercial that did nothing but thank the crew, for absolutely no reason, because the crew was already well aware of the fans. Thankfully, after much prodding from fans, they had the commercial both thank the crew and promote charities, and now it's still doing charity stuff.

Thank goodness this eventually morphed into something of value. I love the show as much as the next fan, but why anyone thought a TV commercial was an appropriate way to show their gratitude is beyond me. It'd be like trying to thank a pizza chef by intercepting delivery boys and putting your letters in the pizza boxes.

Top Bottom