• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

Noclue

Neo Member
To answer your first question, anybody could do what i do. The only difference is that i know my brain works a tad different from most people, combined with the fact that i have no classical training, i often end up doing things differently than most people would have done it. A couple of musically trained musicians have said that this can be an advantage in many cases. Obviously in many other cases that's a disadvantage.

As for your track, it has potential, for sure, but i would ASAP ditch the xylophone/metallophone from the intro. I could also do without the guitar pluck in the back, but that's less cheezy and annoying. The rest however, has an immense Metroid Prime vibe going and needless to say, that i like that. The drum pattern needs some work though. Especially the clap pattern comes off as a bit cheap. Not the clap sound per se, but the pattern.

Hope my comments are helpful in some way. Of course, i'm just a guy with one opinion.

I feel the same, I feel like I have no musical training whatsoever and this is what I told myself I would learn before doing anything, but I just get the urge to sometimes make music so I put learning musical theory off until later. Is that opinion for the all songs or only the first one? That is an interesting point you're bringing, but I'm concerned that if I ditch both the xylophoine and the plucked strings the song will be "empty". I think I tend to overcomplicate songs. What would you do instead if a song feels empty? I normally put some ambiental stuff, but that's might be because my music is more nonconventional than other.

My friends also tend to give good feedback, and I'm trying to add new things Iearn every song, maybe you can find something you like in other songs. In one of them I even tried making a solo, if a solo is just not one tab that is repeating. It's like 12 tabs or whatever they are called of continously changing notes!!! That song is called Anticipation. And there's another cool one where I just keep adding higher and higher notes of the same instrument, i love doing that kind of stuff.

ozfunghi

I feel the same, I feel like I have no musical training whatsoever and this is what I told myself I would learn before doing anything, but I just get the urge to sometimes make music so I put learning musical theory off until later. Is that opinion for the all songs or only the first one? That is an interesting point you're bringing, but I'm concerned that if I ditch both the xylophoine and the plucked strings the song will be "empty". I think I tend to overcomplicate songs. What would you do instead if a song feels empty? I normally put some ambiental stuff, but that's might be because my music is more nonconventional than other.

My friends also tend to give good feedback, and I'm trying to add new things Iearn every song, maybe you can find something you like in other songs. In one of them I even tried making a solo, if a solo is just not one tab that is repeating. It's like 12 tabs or whatever they are called of continously changing notes!!! That song is called Anticipation. And there's another cool one where I just keep adding higher and higher notes of the same instrument, i love doing that kind of stuff.

I just listened to the track you linked to, i didn't realize there were others.

I understand what you mean. For me personally, a track can evolve and it can happen over the course of many weeks, months, even years. If you don't have the right feeling with it, it means it's not finished (for you). Many times something that doesn't sit right, can be because of the notes just don't fit the instrument, or the instrument doesn't fit the track, or both don't fit the track. Maybe simplifying the notes will help, maybe changing the instrument, maybe mixing an instrument more to the background and adding some reverb and a low pass filter etc might help... it depends, and often times it's not clear cut when it's your own work, where as it can be clear as day when listening to somebody else's work.

I'll let you listen to my latest track, just finished this week. It could be interesting to listen to a couple of key versions in how it evolved over 6 months.

Here, this was the very first version (no one except myself ever heard this), aug 2015:
https://soundcloud.com/the-best-of/listen-to-the-voice-of-my-sound-smoked-ham-version/s-wM8wj

This came after, it changed drastically, changed the tempo, added some parts and instruments, at this point i thought i was almost there. I think september or oktober 2015:
https://soundcloud.com/the-best-of/listen-to-the-voice-of-my-sound

Here i thought, wel, the track is done, there was plenty of variation added, halfway through a new solo piece, and a revamped ending, and I asked for "final" feedback (here and elsewhere). I think november or december 2015:
https://soundcloud.com/the-best-of/listentothevoiceofmysound/s-sx6Jt

This is the final version, with a completely redone poly synth (if you compare both versions at around 2m55s and 1m15s it really changes the track), both the synth sound, the way that it is mixed but also the chords:
https://baboom.com/puncheur

Especially the last comparison could be interesting for you, but the transformation the track went through from august to februari is also striking. I'm showing this because i think it's relevant for what you're trying to do, not to say or show that this is the righ way or because i think you should use it as an example.

Hamst3r

Hey guys! I just found out this thread, which is pretty cool!

I have a few questions to ask you: Do you ever feel like the things you are making are random and that everyone else can do it too? That you were, for lack of a better term, lucky? ... I feel like what I'm doing is just using mathematical patterns to make things sound good. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything right. What do you guys think? This is the EP https://soundcloud.com/claudiub/sets/random-patterns-1

When I started making music it was with the mindset that "anybody can make this stuff", which to me just feels like a different angle on your, "everyone else can do it too". It's true, everyone else can do it too, but that applies to all the music you hear. There is no untouchable song. No one is so good as to make a song no one else can do, which I see as good motivation to keep getting better.

As for your LP, Constant A is a banger. I've listened to it a few times now, it's good stuff!

So, yeah, that was great. Please tell me you basically just ripped a vocal sample somewhere and that is not your own voice, and tell me that you used some prefab loops from a library.

Haha, there actually is a prefab loop buried in there, but it's one of those, "you only notice when it's not there" kind of sounds.

These are really fun. Are you playing each instrument yourself? Nice quality and clean mixes as well. Unique to see you using music surf or amplitude to display your tracks.

Thanks! I'm no good at playing instruments, so these are all with virtual instruments. Mainly a lot of NI Kontakt. The guitars are the ones from Impact Soundworks.

ozfunghi

Haha, there actually is a prefab loop buried in there, but it's one of those, "you only notice when it's not there" kind of sounds.

So you're telling me that's actually your voice? In that case, sir, you're an idiot for not including it in every damn track you make, lol.

Seriously, sounds great. That western theme also. The rock thing not so much.

Speely

Banned
Ok this is from the last thing I did, which was an album done in 2005 on a MPC 1000, a Korg MS2000, a Yamaha FM synth module of some sort (I honestly forget which) and a few Korg Electribes. Made everything while playing through a shitty keyboard amp and then mixed it in Protools while knowing nothing about it.

https://soundcloud.com/joshua-hettel/sets/cj

Process was this:

1) Compose stuff.
2) Sequence stuff via MPC MIDI.
3) Sample sequenced stuff into MPC.
4) Arrange samples of sequenced stuff as "tracks" in MPC.

Was a really low-cost solution at the time, as I had no PC and was living in a hovel.

Un-mastered and only mixed as much as studio time allowed (which wasn't a lot) so it's really low (turn it up) and lacks punch, but I am sharing in case anyone wants to hear some older low-tech production. Note: It's synthy nerdy rap. I hope to re-record the album someday soon.

(Sorry about the obnoxious hi-hats and mispronouncing "Mjolnir." I had only read the word at the time :p)

ozfunghi

Ok this is from the last thing I did, which was an album done in 2005 on a MPC 1000, a Korg MS2000, a Yamaha FM synth module of some sort (I honestly forget which) and a few Korg Electribes. Made everything while playing through a shitty keyboard amp and then mixed it in Protools while knowing nothing about it.

Process was this:

1) Compose stuff.

Was a really low-cost solution at the time, as I had no PC and was living in a hovel.

Un-mastered and only mixed as much as studio time allowed (which wasn't a lot) so it's really low (turn it up) and lacks punch, but I am sharing in case anyone wants to hear some older low-tech production. Note: It's synthy nerdy rap. I hope to re-record the album someday soon.

(Sorry about the obnoxious hi-hats and mispronouncing "Mjolnir." I had only read the word at the time :p)

The first two don't do much for me. Not bad, nothing i'll remember after writing this post. The third one is much better... and not because it's more electronic (which is more up my alley) but because the energy is much more intense and interesting.

Speely

Banned
The first two don't do much for me. Not bad, nothing i'll remember after writing this post. The third one is much better... and not because it's more electronic (which is more up my alley) but because the energy is much more intense and interesting.

Yeah I hear ya. It stands to reason since I was sort of flailing around to try to make things work at that point. The track you referenced was pretty much the culmination of what I learned during that. Thanks :)

I'm diggin' 'em dude! Outstanding Fantasy and Laser Sword in particular.

Thanks homie!

I wish I could get my hands on Omnisphere, the possibilities seem endless with that thing.

Anyways, I haven't had much time to work on music, but I made a small synthwave piece (that actually sounds like synthwave!) and I think I might love it. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the intro makes "sense". I know there's a *hint* of dissonance, but I don't know how bad it sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/florsh-558501827/fitness-district-1

Process was this:

1) Compose stuff.

I agree that Laser Sword is the standout, I really like the chorus.

ozfunghi

I wish I could get my hands on Omnisphere, the possibilities seem endless with that thing.

Anyways, I haven't had much time to work on music, but I made a small synthwave piece (that actually sounds like synthwave!) and I think I might love it. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the intro makes "sense". I know there's a *hint* of dissonance, but I don't know how bad it sounds.

Hey, sounds good, but... :)

I think it sounds a bit too thin (not that you need more synths, just better sounds or at least better spread across the spectrum). I'd also do more build-up towards something of a climax. Don't take the "wave" in "synthwave" too literally. At least, that's my opinion. But you're off to a great start, you just need to build on it.

Hey, sounds good, but... :)

I think it sounds a bit too thin (not that you need more synths, just better sounds or at least better spread across the spectrum). I'd also do more build-up towards something of a climax. Don't take the "wave" in "synthwave" too literally. At least, that's my opinion. But your off to a great start, you just need to build on it.

Yeah, I'm using a tape emulation program called TB Reelbus which is really cool but might be the reasons you're hearing some thinness. There's a preset called "Japanese 7.5" that sounds great through my headphones but possibly makes things too tinny. I also still need to learn the nuts and bolts of subtractive synthesis...

Alright mega feedback post incoming, everyone on board. As always, everything is opinion, taste is subjective, so keep calm & produce more music.

Sounds like a happier version of explosions in the sky or something cool stuff. I like this a lot, why is it so short? It stops right when it's going to get going too, I was expecting a massive tom roll and an explosion of drums but it just stopped. Cool stuff though dude.
I'm in the same space when it comes to the samples, it's just so far outside of my normal workflow to restrict myself to samples only that I'm really struggling doing anything with them. So my entry might be really late and really shit. I don't think it's something you learn without trying so I might as well.

Alright, well I made a track recently I could use honest feedback on.
Here's the soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/theeynstyns/competition-trap-instrumental
This is some dark trap alright, minor synth riff, 808's, that one riser I hear everywhere j/k. I was almost expecting a mike will made it but got a genius instead. It does sort of feel like one of those fruity loops beats you hear when you type rick ross style trap beat in on youtube or something, but I suppose that's apropos. Your 808 is is slightly low in volume, and it dies out really quickly too, maybe check out the release time and add compression to even out the amplitude. The snare also isn't doing it for me, it's a good 808 snare sample but it sticks out a lot for some reason I can't quite place my finger on.
It's a good overall trap track though and I could see a rapper being inspired to drop a verse or something. I don't know shit about selling beats though so I can't help you there. I know Ray Wonder is in that business but I haven't really seen him in this thread and the other one is dead.

but I'm gonna share some of the newer stuff with ya.
Swindler's Skank - Youtube | Soundcloud (My only 2016 track so far, and it has vocals!)
/URL]

Anyway, I've also downloaded the sample pack for the competition thing, haven't listen to them yet, but perhaps I'll have an entry for the compo in the next few days.
Yo overall I think your shit is amazing, I don't even know if I should be saying anything because goddamn. Are you recording live instruments? if not what vsti's are you using. I'm assuming the guitars are live, and I think the drums are too? Your music is perfect soundtrack material, I'm not even joking, you should really look into getting it out there.

Swindler's Skank is really cool, I saw a comment that said the vocal had a Tom Waitsy vibe and I totally agree, very gin soaked and smoke laced. definitely a cool track. I like the tone on that solo guitar, I think the solo could be slightly better though, it sounds a lot like pentatonic wankery to me, but I'm an amazingly harsh judge of guitar solo's so please take that with a grain of salt and it's definitely not at the point where it detracts from the track for me. Explosive Heat Death is dope af too. Are those horns live? Samples? Vsti's?

They sound so good, I need to get some good trumpet vsti's man because goddamn. You know what I'm just going to stop here, I listened to a good albums worth of your soundcloud and I like it all. Good job! Please make more music...
Thank you.

Edit: Wait holy shit, those are vsti's goddamn I need to invest, more shit to add to the gas list. I was fooled for sure, now I feel like a scrub.
did some reprocessing of a classic:

https://soundcloud.com/sadsic/stickerbrush-symphony-cloudwave-mix
can i get some feedback on this?
Definitely didn't think I'd be vibing to tunes sampled from Donkey Kong Country 2 in the 2016's but I totally am. Very laid back vibes dude. Really like the outro pitchup. Kinda missing some bass, I guess? but that's sort of an observation I made while skipping through it after listening to the entire thing so it's definitely not hampering the first listen vibe. Good stuff overall.

Hey guys! I just found out this thread, which is pretty cool!

I have a few questions to ask you: Do you ever feel like the things you are making are random and that everyone else can do it too? That you were, for lack of a better term, lucky? I dabbled in music before, when I was 18 I think, trying to make live performances music. I still have it up on youtube although it's unlisted and embarassing to listen to. 4 years later, last summer, after meeting some interesting music and going to underground music venues, i got inspired. By december I released my first EP. I feel like what I'm doing is just using mathematical patterns to make things sound good. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything right. What do you guys think? This is the EP https://soundcloud.com/claudiub/sets/random-patterns-1

And I have another question. I have a BOSS RC 300, a BOSS GT 10B, SHURE BETA 58A (microphone) and a YAMAHA amp. Is there anything I can do with all of them, combine them with electronic music from the computer somehow? What would I need? I'd like to sample stuff and do turntable stuff in my songs in the future, if that helps
I think that everyone with a functioning set of ears, hands, and maybe eyes could do what I do given enough time and dedication. (I'm not that exceptional, and it's not that much time and dedication honestly). I'm distinctly not making random shit most of the time though, I'm trying to make music, I'm not going to say I don't experiment with shit but the distinct goal is to always elicit some sort of emotional response from myself and hopefully the people that listen. Basically I'm not just running through patterns randomly hoping something good comes out because that's a task of exponential complexity. I'm trying to use my intuition to select a sequence of patterns that will convey a feeling to the listener. That's where the time&dedication comes in, because that's the thing that takes practice. Making noises that somewhat belong together isn't that hard, making music however is.

As for your E.P if you want me too I can pm you private track reviews because they're not going to be super positive but I want to help you out without putting you on blast in public. I will say Clear is the best track on it.

I think the nerdcore rapping is fine, very lil dicky'ish but more nerdy. I think the production is unfortunately the lacking ingredient. But your comments make it obvious you feel the same way. I have no idea how the actual studio time thing works as a bedroom producer (soon I'll have a garage so I can upgrade to a oneman garageband.) but it could definitely benefit from more mixing. I agree with the general sentiment that lazer sword is the best of the three. It has the strongest chorus and people are a sucker for a good chorus, even if it's a nerdy white guy singing about lazer swords.

I actually think this is my favourite thing I've heard from you. Definitely nailing that 80's aesthetic. I just want some giant phil collins toms in there at some point. Check out the 1985 sound pack by Thatsound, I think they have some massive toms in there you could roll :D. Or don't it's your music honestly. I don't think the thin is an issue, I think the relative loudness of the high frequency content makes it seem really thin. I think you could safely turn the high pitched bells and synths down a few db so you can turn up more and get more bass without having your eardrums impaled by those glassy sounds. I also don't know what you're doing mixing and mastering wise but holy shit your stuff feels super loud, and your waveform looks like a giant brick. I mean your waveform looks like a flosstradamus trap song but it's this ambientish synthwavey thing. I don't think slightly more dynamics would be a bad thing personally but it's your music.

I've been gassing for Omnisphere for a while too, I need to make a list of how much money I need to earn making music to buy all the shit I'm gassing for. (probably millions)

made an edit of freestyle 4 from TLOP, hope it won't get taken down

https://soundcloud.com/maumaumusic/freestyle-4-yokaifish-edit

also an exercise in overcompression

I think this got removed? Link sure as poop doesn't work. Sorry buddy I didn't listen to it.

Spot reserved for ozfunghi who I forgot to multiquote so now I need to go back and find that post fml.

Edit: I'm going to get to ozfunghi later because real life is a bitch and I have to stop listening to music now. I might pm you if the thread moves past so don't worry.

Hamst3r

Are you recording live instruments? if not what vsti's are you using. I'm assuming the guitars are live, and I think the drums are too? Are those horns live? Samples? Vsti's?

Thanks, dude! It's all VSTis, primarily Kontakt. It's definitely my favorite sampler. I might have a Kontakt fetish. Anyway, the guitars are the Shreddage and Archtop libraries from Impact Soundworks. Shreddage for Explosive Heat Death. Archtop for the Swindler's Skank solo.

The drums are the Abbey Road series that come with NI Komplete. The Brass instruments are the VSTis from Sample Modeling, which are truly ridiculous.

Heya. I'm a long-time lurker of this thread (because I stopped producing for a good long while) and was hoping I could get some feedback on a difficult track.

This bootleg I made... I consider it finished, but I'd like a second opinion on its quality of mixing. I have a pair of KRK Rokit monitors that are a few years old (but rarely used) and a bedroom environment, so I'm going in kinda wounded. I mixed using the monitors, but also was constantly referring to a couple pair of headphones (good and mediocre), a shit pair of earbuds, and a car stereo system when I had the chance. I'm wondering how my levels are, how the stereo shaping is, any muddy occurrences that could have been avoided etc. I'm also mixing from a bubble: I don't have many people to go to for advice on this, so-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7MZPeZon5o

This was probably my first time taking mixing seriously and I am in awe of how frustrating and exhausting it is. This was about two weeks of on and off mixing for this one bootleg track. I tried to not do too much to it in the Maximus plug-in Just a newbie here having fun, but I want the fun to be at least decent quality to the ear.

(As I keep producing, I'll try not to be just a lurker in here. All the activity in here seems to be really great. Thanks.)

ozfunghi

Heya. I'm a long-time lurker of this thread (because I stopped producing for a good long while) and was hoping I could get some feedback on a difficult track.

This bootleg I made... I consider it finished, but I'd like a second opinion on its quality of mixing. I have a pair of KRK Rokit monitors that are a few years old (but rarely used) and a bedroom environment, so I'm going in kinda wounded. I mixed using the monitors, but also was constantly referring to a couple pair of headphones (good and mediocre), a shit pair of earbuds, and a car stereo system when I had the chance. I'm wondering how my levels are, how the stereo shaping is, any muddy occurrences that could have been avoided etc. I'm also mixing from a bubble: I don't have many people to go to for advice on this, so-

This was probably my first time taking mixing seriously and I am in awe of how frustrating and exhausting it is. This was about two weeks of on and off mixing for this one bootleg track. I tried to not do too much to it in the Maximus plug-in Just a newbie here having fun, but I want the fun to be at least decent quality to the ear.

(As I keep producing, I'll try not to be just a lurker in here. All the activity in here seems to be really great. Thanks.)

I like it. I like it a lot. I have a couple of small issues. The clap seems a bit out of place early on. I think (but i'm not sure, just going by feeling) that the high note of your bass, might best be higher? And finally, i'm listening through my AKG's which are normally very crisp and clear, but the track sounds a tad muddy to my ears, going by reference material on those headphones. I could be wrong, it certainly sounds acceptable through those headphones, but i can imagine that it will sound less ideal on less crisp speakers or headphones, but i haven't checked yet. But if you listened through your car speakers and other (cheaper) cans/speakers and it didn't sound muddy, chances are you're good.

Please do jump in and comment on other people's tracks. Maybe we should make some rules: asking for feedback = giving feedback on someone else's track first.

I like it. I like it a lot. I have a couple of small issues. The clap seems a bit out of place early on. I think (but i'm not sure, just going by feeling) that the high note of your bass, might best be higher? And finally, i'm listening through my AKG's which are normally very crisp and clear, but the track sounds a tad muddy to my ears, going by reference material on those headphones. I could be wrong, it certainly sounds acceptable through those headphones, but i can imagine that it will sound less ideal on less crisp speakers or headphones, but i haven't checked yet. But if you listened through your car speakers and other (cheaper) cans/speakers and it didn't sound muddy, chances are you're good.

Please do jump in and comment on other people's tracks. Maybe we should make some rules: asking for feedback = giving feedback on someone else's track first.

Sounds good to me, duder. Might wanna boost the high frequencies a bit, could be as simple as just slapping an EQ or exciter on the whole track. That aside, sounds great!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll simply try throwing a small EQ on and see if it improves the higher ends. According to the graphical display of an EQ on the overall track, the low-mid/mid is pretty damn hot while the high-end is relatively cool. I'll take some time to fresh my ears up before checking it out for mud that I may be too fatigued to hear.

I apologize for my selfishness to try and get feedback without respectfully giving back. Bad me.

I haven't made a lot of music recently, like only 5 tracks in 2015, but I'm gonna share some of the newer stuff with ya.

Swindler's Skank - Youtube | Soundcloud (My only 2016 track so far, and it has vocals!)
Explosive Heat Death - Youtube | Soundcloud
Riders of Vengeance - Youtube | Soundcloud

Anyway, I've also downloaded the sample pack for the competition thing, haven't listen to them yet, but perhaps I'll have an entry for the compo in the next few days.

These tracks are absolutely fantastic (and the first two are now on my computer and phone). Explosive Heat Death is my favorite of the three. Reminds me a bit of Symphony X. The use of synths and horns makes it extremely fun, so I hope that sticks around in future tracks. The intro to Riders of Vengeance has what I've wanted for a long time: atmospheric strings (mainly the harp... think it's a harp?). It sounds like a really strong song to open a show with, like Metallica and The Ecstasy of Gold. (specifically from S&M). It all sounds impressively clear to me.

I actually think this is my favourite thing I've heard from you. Definitely nailing that 80's aesthetic. I just want some giant phil collins toms in there at some point. Check out the 1985 sound pack by Thatsound, I think they have some massive toms in there you could roll :D. Or don't it's your music honestly. I don't think the thin is an issue, I think the relative loudness of the high frequency content makes it seem really thin. I think you could safely turn the high pitched bells and synths down a few db so you can turn up more and get more bass without having your eardrums impaled by those glassy sounds. I also don't know what you're doing mixing and mastering wise but holy shit your stuff feels super loud, and your waveform looks like a giant brick. I mean your waveform looks like a flosstradamus trap song but it's this ambientish synthwavey thing. I don't think slightly more dynamics would be a bad thing personally but it's your music.

I've been gassing for Omnisphere for a while too, I need to make a list of how much money I need to earn making music to buy all the shit I'm gassing for. (probably millions)

Well, I certainly don't want my music to be physically unpleasant to listen to, sorry if that's the case. I have to admit I got excited about the track and posted it without doing much in the way of mastering. I see (hear?) what you mean about the loudness though.

This actually sounds really nice and crisp coming out of my headphones, I don't know if the high end needs to boosted all that much.

ozfunghi

I apologize for my selfishness to try and get feedback without respectfully giving back. Bad me.

No need. It's a general remark, not aimed directly at you. I just think it's a shame many people come in asking for feedback, but only a few give some. And when those few ask for feedback, nobody responds, lol.

No need. It's a general remark, not aimed directly at you. I just think it's a shame many people come in asking for feedback, but only a few give some. And when those few ask for feedback, nobody responds, lol.

You gotta keep a mental note of those who give back. Makes the feedback process much better and worth your time knowing others will return the favor.

I end up listening to everything posted here. (at least since I subbed) I personally don't give feedback much because I don't like the way I give feedback. I just feel like my comments feel too forced or i'm being too repetitive or nitpicky. I don't really say anything in other threads/forums/sites like these unless a comment naturally comes to me. And there are a lot of songs posted here that I like, but I don't want to just post "this is cool" without having anything else to say, because then a whole bunch of my comments ITT would be different ways of me saying "I like this", and this is partly how my "repetitiveness" issue comes in... lol

I really appreciate those people that do take their time to give feedback often though.

Newgrounds has a really great feedback for feedback thread. The only functional/consistent/ongoing one I've seen. The only annoyances are from people who don't read the rules in the OP and try to get away with one line reviews. Or they'll try to review any song from the thread rather than the latest one posted (which defeats the whole purpose), but if someone screws you over you can just point it out and the wrong doing will be rectified.

Sounds like a happier version of explosions in the sky or something cool stuff. I like this a lot, why is it so short? It stops right when it's going to get going too, I was expecting a massive tom roll and an explosion of drums but it just stopped. Cool stuff though dude.
I'm in the same space when it comes to the samples, it's just so far outside of my normal workflow to restrict myself to samples only that I'm really struggling doing anything with them. So my entry might be really late and really shit. I don't think it's something you learn without trying so I might as well.

Just hadn't gotten too far yet. The latest exported version I have does get to that "drum explosion" you were probably imagining, but ive been playing around with that part a lot in my project file because I can't get it to sound how I want it. The whole section just seems weak, partly because of the kick, and partly because of other things. Trying to see if/how I can spruce it up substantially...

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm not too sure how to say this without sounding like an elitist with my head stuck up my ass, but I generally stopped commenting on other people's work on public platforms when I started working on 'stuff'. I get way, way too many private messages over forums, Soundcloud, YouTube nudges, unsolicited e-mails, etc asking me to listen and give feedback on their stuff, and I don't want to do anything that encourages the practice, because I feel like a dick when I don't have time to respond to everything. Unless I know you in person, then sure, I'll give feedback in private.

Discussion of production techniques, tools, VSTs, hardware, solutions, troubleshooting, yeah I'm totally game.

ozfunghi

I'm not too sure how to say this without sounding like an elitist with my head stuck up my ass, but I generally stopped commenting on other people's work on public platforms when I started working on 'stuff'. I get way, way too many private messages over forums, Soundcloud, YouTube nudges, unsolicited e-mails, etc asking me to listen and give feedback on their stuff, and I don't want to do anything that encourages the practice, because I feel like a dick when I don't have time to respond to everything. Unless I know you in person, then sure, I'll give feedback in private.

Discussion of production techniques, tools, VSTs, hardware, solutions, troubleshooting, yeah I'm totally game.

Maybe it has something to do with how you give feedback? I've been giving feedback since i entered the thread, and nobody's hastled me via PM. The fact that only (mainly) FD and myself give feedback, in turn makes me feel like a know-it-all dick, because it's always the same people giving feedback, as if they think they're the experts. While i just give my honest opinion (for what it's worth), trying to help people in their process.

in turn makes me feel like a know-it-all dick, because it's always the same people giving feedback, as if they think they're the experts.

Yeah this is why I feel uncomfortable giving anything but the most basic feedback, because I'm new to this myself. Any detailed feedback on what I'd do to the song if I was making it could be just as wrong, and I don't want to come across as nit-picky. I don't mind if something simple stands out though, such as "bass is a bit muddy".

Did anyone make another submission to the sample contest?

Yeah I did, sent it in the day after the contest went up almost two weeks ago.

Falk

that puzzling face
If only everyone were as self-aware that their opinion wasn't an end-all answer, and simply an opinion chipping in, on the rest of the site ;p

Particularly around E3 season

Oh hey, I didn't realize we had a contest going on! I'll try and get something submitted. Also, have a new single / suite out:

It's got free streaming on Bandcamp and Spotify (and Xbox Music, I think). I'd appreciate any comments / criticism. It's alternative / score-based music.

ozfunghi

Oh hey, I didn't realize we had a contest going on! I'll try and get something submitted. Also, have a new single / suite out:

It's got free streaming on Bandcamp and Spotify (and Xbox Music, I think). I'd appreciate any comments / criticism. It's alternative / score-based music.

Do you use Tunecore or CDbaby? Or something else? i've been contemplating Tunecore. But on the other hand, it's still too expensive to get maybe 500 streams per year being a huge nobody. lol

Hamst3r

The intro to Riders of Vengeance has what I've wanted for a long time: atmospheric strings (mainly the harp... think it's a harp?).

Definitely a harp, two in fact! A Celtic harp and a concert harp.

Did anyone make another submission to the sample contest?

I sent in a thing about a week ago.

Any detailed feedback on what I'd do to the song if I was making it could be just as wrong

Indeed. I try to keep my advice simple and more on the technical side of things.

AyzOn

Neo Member

I would give more feedback but I'm just no good at it, I have a hard time pointing things out that I like in music that is a different genre than what I usually listen to.
I mean I could praise their mixing skills if they made the mix especially good or things like that but I'm not good at giving any meaningful feedback.

It's really no bad intention of mine.

I 'm often in this thread and listen to most of the songs posted here though, so at least I gonna help getting you guys some plays. :p

I really appreciate how much time some of you take to write feedback.

Thanks, dude! It's all VSTis, primarily Kontakt. It's definitely my favorite sampler. I might have a Kontakt fetish. Anyway, the guitars are the Shreddage and Archtop libraries from Impact Soundworks. Shreddage for Explosive Heat Death. Archtop for the Swindler's Skank solo.

The drums are the Abbey Road series that come with NI Komplete. The Brass instruments are the VSTis from Sample Modeling, which are truly ridiculous.

That's crazy man, everything sounded live as hell. You had my novice ears fools, I've played guitar for years as well so it's kind of embarrasing. Falk knew though, he was all like: "man fake guitars have become really, really good". I own the abbey road stuff since I own NI Komplete(8) as well and I'm going to have to re-examine what's going on there. I'm going to own up to barely touching the drums in favour of just going in with straight samples but they tricked my admittedly novice ears into sounding live. I assume you're playing things on a keyboard or are you a midi roll clicking wizard the likes of which I have never seen?

Well, I certainly don't want my music to be physically unpleasant to listen to, sorry if that's the case. I have to admit I got excited about the track and posted it without doing much in the way of mastering. I see (hear?) what you mean about the loudness though.
I have sensitive ears so if my comment came off overblown don't even stress, it's highly likely that it's 100% totally fine, I just found myself reaching for the volume knob the second your song came on and that comment is based on that. It's a cool track, like I said favourite thing I've heard from you.

Hey that's totally cool, I have no experience in the being swamped by people trying to get ahead department so I'm not going to judge one way or the other. It's sort of a different lanes thing right? I mean you're essentially doing this as a profession and most of us are doing it as an overblown hobby. I imagine you've got a very good circle of established friends you can go to for feedback and vice versa(not to mention performances etc...), so your attitude is totally understandable. I sincerely appreciate the knowledgeable posts you've made on the various subjects you feel capable of discussing freely.

For what it's worth though, I've done massive feedback walls and I haven't gotten a single pm, despite soliciting them several times. So here's a thing I'm proposing, if someone in this thread feels like pm'ing falk just pm me instead, I'm bored often (no nudity plzthx).

As for me I'll give everyone feedback, I don't care. I just hope I'm not coming off as some know it all dick because I'm certainly not, I'm kind of Scrub Lord McGee up in this city. I just know how hard it is (as a hobbyist) to A. Get someone to listen to something you made B. Tell you anything at all about how they felt about it. Maybe it's like bystander effect for music or something, I don't know. I mean my feedback posts are by no means an empirical science with rock solid data points extrapolated over a graph that you could use to argumentatively prove that your music is or isn't the shit. It's an opinion, you asked for one, I'm going to try to give you one. But I also don't want to brainlessly drop yeah your shit is good give me a like back bro posts all day long because that's dumb and essentially pointless filler. I'll honestly admit my feedback posts aren't the best, but I try, and I think it's really cool other people are trying too. I mean it is essentially the blind leading the blind but hopefully enough of us are feeling up the walls and letting others know what's out there that we can form some sort of consistent picture.
Plus I always think it's cool hearing what someone thinks, even if they don't like it, I've heard sections of my songs hundreds to thousands of times before I post them so my perception is utterly warped I love hearing opinions that clarify my own feelings on things.

I also think it's cool that we've got a bunch of new faces since we've started giving feedback and I hope they return the favour at some point but I'm not going to get all armchair moderator up in here. I also wouldn't worry as much about whether or not you're qualified to give feedback, it's an opinion, it takes 5 minutes to write, if that. And we're all adults making bleepitybloops on various bleepitibloopmakers I hope nobody is seriously going to go all ego crazy and start some internet drama over a feedback post on Neogaf.

Hamst3r

I assume you're playing things on a keyboard or are you a midi roll clicking wizard the likes of which I have never seen?

Haha, I come from the land of Music Trackers. MOD Tracker, FastTracker, and what have you; and was using Buzz Tracker up until about 5 years ago when I made the switch to Reaper. Using a Tracker is akin to making music in an Excel Spreadsheet (Buzz added a flowchart to the mix), so I'm really used to manually inputting everything rather than recording with a midi controller.

QGi9bbg.jpg

Haha, I come from the land of Music Trackers. MOD Tracker, FastTracker, and what have you; and was using Buzz Tracker up until about 5 years ago when I made the switch to Reaper. Using a Tracker is akin to making music in an Excel Spreadsheet (Buzz added a flowchart to the mix), so I'm really used to manually inputting everything rather than recording with a midi controller.

I use Acoustica Mixcraft but I use it like a tracker in that I handle composing / notation by hand, rather than even using the keyboard for MIDI controlling. I have no formal training so

Falk

that puzzling face
Falk knew though, he was all like: "man fake guitars have become really, really good".

Hahaha, I've both used fake guitars very, very extensively and had the pleasure of working with some absolutely insane guitarists on my projects. Sometimes I'll actually opt for the former - there's a time and place for robotic perfection.

Hey that's totally cool, I have no experience in the being swamped by people trying to get ahead department so I'm not going to judge one way or the other. It's sort of a different lanes thing right? I mean you're essentially doing this as a profession and most of us are doing it as an overblown hobby. I imagine you've got a very good circle of established friends you can go to for feedback and vice versa(not to mention performances etc...), so your attitude is totally understandable. I sincerely appreciate the knowledgeable posts you've made on the various subjects you feel capable of discussing freely.

I PMed ozfunghi a little on the subject matter actually - The awkward-ish situation I'm in comes from the fact that I used to do this as a hobby (... and probably still would if I wasn't swamped with work most of the time) and then started working on things that involve stuff that a -lot- of hopefuls out there making "orchestral HD versions" or "remakes" etc YouTube would kill for, and I feel like I often get seen as sort of a gateway to get 'the right people' to see one's work, even if it works nothing like that way.

Nevertheless, nowadays my feedback comes from clients. ;p

In any case, I do think the OT could more in terms of feedback. We're all here to prop one another up, and I do feel like people do notice. Glad this topic came up.

I think it's best to be RESPECTFUL, honest and constructive as possible when giving feedback. Learning to take criticism is a skill in itself and can only help you in the long run. I'd say the active users here are pretty cool but maybe we should tell the people who post in Music Makers to come here as well since this is more active.

Also, what is it that you do, Falk and can we hear it?

Falk

that puzzling face
I went from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KXu9R092KI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hN4RmhDSH0

to this:
http://vgmdb.net/artist/14345

Most of the 2015 stuff isn't listed, but yeh, it's been one crazy span of two/three years. Did stuff for RWBY, did audio engineering for my first feature film and anime series last year.

Currently working on more than one Square Enix title

The career stuff has had a heavy slant towards the engineering side, but I've started to do arrangements/compositions as well on a commercial basis.

edit: I always figured "music makers" would include people who play instruments, etc rather than the ones interested in the production side (and yes, there's an overlap) but that thread seems to have panned out a little different hahahaha.

I just wanted to say no one giving feedback here has ever one come across as a dick and, frankly, it's a real bummer that you feel like your (really excellent) efforts are being taken for granted here. The rest of us should all try to do better.

ozfunghi

I went from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KXu9R092KI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hN4RmhDSH0

to this:
http://vgmdb.net/artist/14345

Most of the 2015 stuff isn't listed, but yeh, it's been one crazy span of two/three years. Did stuff for RWBY, did audio engineering for my first feature film and anime series last year.

Currently working on more than one Square Enix title

The career stuff has had a heavy slant towards the engineering side, but I've started to do arrangements/compositions as well on a commercial basis.

edit: I always figured "music makers" would include people who play instruments, etc rather than the ones interested in the production side (and yes, there's an overlap) but that thread seems to have panned out a little different hahahaha.

Ok, NOW the PM's will start flowing, lol.

I got baited I feel

Please check your messages.

Anyway, thanks for posting your background info. Very cool to know someone in the industry (audio side) is present here. Also, do you know/keep in touch with KgZ (James Landino?). What a small world!

Edit: Regarding Music Makers, I always thought it was for feedback which is why I started out there first and only came here for production techniques and questions but this place is much more active and combines both.

Falk

that puzzling face
James is with Harmonix now. We're still doing projects together tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-W2zzV9TXc

edit:
It's actually something of an ongoing inside joke that the way to eventually end up working on Disney music is to start off with Sonic fan games. We both did BTS/ATS, I went on to do Kingdom Hearts, James went on to do Fantasia with Harmonix.

James is with Harmonix now. We're still doing projects together tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-W2zzV9TXc

edit:
It's actually something of an ongoing inside joke that the way to eventually end up working on Disney music is to start off with Sonic fan games. We both did BTS/ATS, I went on to do Kingdom Hearts, James went on to do Fantasia with Harmonix.

That's really cool. Good for you both!

Excellent mix, modern sound with retro vibe much energy. Guess I'm being hypocritical with my generic feedback haha

Off topic: I'm unaware how I first talked to him (I think it was a bemani forum) but he was still attending Berklee. Good to know that the school is great and he's in the industry.

Falk

that puzzling face
Heh, we kinda met after I gave a talk at Berklee (as a student, nothing major) about rhythm games, since I used to do work for O2Jam a lifetime ago.

Another guy in the BTS/ATS crew, Pejman/Funk Fiction is also a huge Bemani/rhythm game nerd.

Top Bottom