• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

ozfunghi

Yes. Controversial opinion incoming but I don't think Bob Dylan would sell for shit today, atleast not in any number that is internationally significant. If you want to make something that sounds poppy pitch perfection is virtually an unspoken expectation. That being said the pitch correction plugin that could fix my shit hasn't been made yet so I don't think you need to be worried about me managing to polish my voice to a mirror sheen. That being said, I essentially want to sound like a "studio" singer so I can attract actual studio singers to sing on my productions for me, I have no intention of actually becoming a performing artist.

That being said, I don't think that sound is ever in the cards for me no matter how many tuning plugins I use so don't worry.

Controversial opinion incoming... :) But i think your voice in this sort of track is what sets it apart and makes it interesting. The combo i mean. I mean, Gnarls Barkley sells, right?

Just my opinion ofcourse, i'm not going to force your arm :) BTW, i'm gonna send you a PM.

Cool, man. An instrument would be nice too, so I can see how everything's fitting into the track.
I'll just send you most the stems since it's not a giant clusterfuck yet, because I'm barely an hour deep on that track in terms of production excluding the hours spent messing around with the vocals before giving up. I'll send you the midi for the chords as well so you can pick a sound to reference your tuning with. Thanks for doing this man, really cool of you. I'll give you co-producer props /D

Controversial opinion incoming... :) But i think your voice in this sort of track is what sets it apart and makes it interesting. The combo i mean. I mean, Gnarls Barkley sells, right?

Just my opinion ofcourse, i'm not going to force your arm :) BTW, i'm gonna send you a PM.
Thanks. That being said I don't think I come close to Cee-Lo green in actual singing ability. I could listen to him sing the phone book and I'd probably be captivated. I was a huge fan of Goodie Mob in the 90's regardless of them being sub-par rappers, I always thought Cee-Lo had an amazing tone even when he was singing rap verses and choruses. You're also allowed to have your opinion, it's what I post here for to get feedback and opinions. I will reply to your pm.

ozfunghi

Thanks. That being said I don't think I come close to Cee-Lo green in actual singing ability. I could listen to him sing the phone book and I'd probably be captivated. I was a huge fan of Goodie Mob in the 90's regardless of them being sub-par rappers, I always thought Cee-Lo had an amazing tone even when he was singing rap verses and choruses. You're also allowed to have your opinion, it's what I post here for to get feedback and opinions. I will reply to your pm.

Sure, i don't want to compare you to him, i just mean that you don't have to have a slick butterysmooth voice.

Been in the hospital the last week and finally got the chance to make some new music today.

https://soundcloud.com/ayzon/blade-runner/s-74gEZ Always liked that Blade Runner ending monologue so I downloaded it at some point but hadnt used it yet.
Until now at least.

I´ll try to catch up with everything I missed and give some feedback to you guys. :)

That's super awesome. Love the atmosphere, especially at 0:15 when there's a nice little rise in melody.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I have been occupied with some other stuff lately, so I haven't produced much original music. But I created a slow mix of the Chemical Plant Zone theme from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 a few days ago:

https://youtu.be/qxwcseHnNhs

There is another project I've been working on, but I have been having issues with it as I use 32-bit float. YouTube seems to have issues processing such, and as I want as high quality as possible SoundCloud isn't the best option (as files automatically gets converted to MP3).

Also, it's the last day of February, when will this contest wrap up?

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't think it's mathematically possible to use the bottom few bits of 24-bit (even non-float) to any significant advantage on a render. 32 float sounds like overkill.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, I would say in terms of bit depth, 16 is more than enough for renders with a good dither. 24 is sufficient for any practical recording situation (bottom few bits are going to be a very accurate representation of the noise floor anyway, heh)

It's not to be confused with DAW engines, in which 64-bit float is a quantifiable advantage. Every single process is going to introduce quantization noise relative to the LSB, from FX chains to simple summing and bussing. This can easily add up in complex projects. Same is also true for sample rate - while I personally don't see mixing at >48kHz as a significant advantage, certain types of plugins are really dependant on an accurate representation of the peaks in between samples (limiters used for color for example) Thankfully, most of them oversample/supersample/interpolate/whatever on their own, so it's a nonfactor.

After all those calculations, the resultant file, assuming a good output level, can easily sit at 16bit for distribution. 24 if you're going to be further processing (e.g. mastering, or archiving for a later master, or remix, or whatever)

lazygecko

I remember screwing around with bit-reducing modern pop music, and some of it went all the way down to 5-6 bits before you could actually start hearing any noise/quantization.

Also it's mildly annoying that the majority of programs capable of altering bit depth just automatically assume you want a dither, so they have that built in with no options.

Vally

I forgot about it too :( could the deadline be extended by any chance?

Anyway I think I'll do something with those samples tonight, even if I can't enter the contest

I did something with the samples but fucked up and ended up wanting to turn it into an actual song so now I'm disqualified anyway I'm just going to post it late :D. I also don't know about the contest, I think Kozak was running it but he hasn't posted since?

Hamst3r

Given the unknown status of the compo thing, I might as well just share what I did with the samples:

THA-neogafcompo1.mp3

It's basically just a lot of Kontakt and a few instances of Guitar Rig. And Melodyne for the "oh what a feelin" sample. For reference, snippets of the samples used: samples.mp3

AyzOn

Neo Member
Given the unknown status of the compo thing, I might as well just share what I did with the samples:

THA-neogafcompo1.mp3

I really like what you did with it, especially those vocals. That makes me want to learn more about handling vocals, but there´s just so much for me to learn.
I can't really rate the quality of the mix but If it helps, I also wasn't able to find anything sounding out of place.
The only thing that in my opinion didn't sound that good was the intro, it gave me mario kart flashbacks and I feel like the transition later on (at around 1min) doesn't "pop" enough if that makes sense. It sounds a bit like the first kick after the snare roll gets eaten up.

I kinda started something as well, I thought it sounded a bit funky but I was told it sounds more like future garage or something. I have no idea if I'm honest.
https://soundcloud.com/ayzon/014-mastered/s-lt5lX

Also I recorded the noise one of my speakers make when I power them up, if the quality isn't too shitty might make for a nice little sfx sound.
https://soundcloud.com/ayzon/my-speakers-are-possessed-by-excision/s-pRkCl

THA-neogafcompo1.mp3

It's basically just a lot of Kontakt and a few instances of Guitar Rig. And Melodyne for the "oh what a feelin" sample. For reference, snippets of the samples used: samples.mp3

This is fun as fuck. Love what you did with the beat, especially in the last section with the vocals and the modulating moving bass, some impressive sample manipulation going on.

I guess I'll upload my sample song later today given that we don't know when it's going to get uploaded to the GAF soundcloud

Nyx

Wait, there's a competition?

Anyone have a link to the samplepack? I always like these things.
edit2: Nevermind, found it. See that the deadline has already passed but I'll still try and make something just for fun.

edit: Also, as I got fired from my job last week and hope to have a new job soon, I might use the fee I'm getting from my current employer to buy me a Maschine Studio.... Anyone in here uses that?

ozfunghi

THA-neogafcompo1.mp3

Both are great. Personally, i like InaudibleWhispa's track a bit more because i feel it's somehow more homogeneous, even though Hamst3r's track may be more "impressive".

Well... it IS a competition, isn't it? :)

Thanks for the kind words guys. Last time I properly posted in this thread I was complaining about writers block and not being able to finish a song, and the comp actually got me to do something (and quickly too). T'was fun! I've been impressed with all the submissions so far and it's great and really interesting to see how people use the samples in such different ways.

Maybe if we do this again we could all submit samples to create a GAF pack to work with.

Archon473

I am in need of some software that will let me create a song-length drum track from scratch. Everything I have seen like Steinberg's Groove Agent or all the Native Instruments drum software like DrumLab or Mashine do not seem to fit. These programs are mostly 4-measure loops. You use the software to create maybe 8 seconds of a beat, then load it into some partnering recording software like Pro Tools or Cubase or whatever. This is all way more complicated than it has to be. I do not need 7000 drum kit samples or pre-made loops. I like Groove Agent's Pattern editor in concept because I can point and click to create a custom beat. I would still need to create basically individual patterns and keep copy-and-pasting them into Cubase or another piece of software.

I use PowerTab to transcribe songs I write on guitar. Look at how elegant this is:
800px-Powertab.jpg

Click on the string and type the fret, choose a note value and add any kind of additional effect like muting or tying notes and you're done. This software is obviously for creating tablature, not live-sounding recordings, but it is very concise. I want something similar for tracking drums so I can record my guitar live. I would prefer software that did not require a physical drum machine or digital keyboard/piano to be used as an interface. I would love for the program to work fine with just a keyboard and mouse. I can purchase additional equipment if necessary but initially I would like to trial the software on just my laptop.

Good news, I think you could find what you're looking for in just about any DAW with a sampler. Just load each drum sound as a seperate sample. FL Studio doesn't use traditional notation, but it's very intuitive and you can absolutely use a keyboard and a mouse.

Accoun

Good news, I think you could find what you're looking for in just about any DAW with a sampler. Just load each drum sound as a seperate sample. FL Studio doesn't use traditional notation, but it's very intuitive and you can absolutely use a keyboard and a mouse.
Alternatively he can load any of the drum VSTs. Some of them even have free lite versions
Actually, just checked and looks like most of the lite versions have been discontinued. I think it's only Addictive Drums anymore and it only has Kick/Snare/Hihats/Crash.
If he's looking for free ones, probably his best bet would be Sennheiser DrumMic'a (which requires Kontakt, but works with the free Player) if he can bear tweaking (it's basically an ad for Sennheiser drum microphones and has quite a few options in that regard) or something like PowerDrumKit for a quick solution (supposedly it has no round robin/velocity layers and is quite processed out of the box). There's also DrumMix Beta, which IIRC is more "trashy", but isn't without it's own garage'y charm.

Of course there are free drumkits, which are available to use in your sampler of choice, especially if it can open .sfz multisamples.

Of course that's talking about free ones. Paid drums are a whole different world...

ozfunghi

I am in need of some software that will let me create a song-length drum track from scratch.

You can do this in Reason, and probably in many other programs. In Reason, just don't set the drumloop in the device of choice (redrum, kong...) UI with a looping pattern, but manage the samples in the sequencer instead. If you have a suitable midi device, you can record the drum sequence live (in as many takes/layers as you want). Maybe it's even possible with the PC keyboard, i'm not sure. To be clear, i'm not talking about recording the actual sounds, but recording the sequence in which the samples need to be played. Or, you draw the beats with your mouse in the sequencer timeline. But that might get tedious very fast, if you need to do an entire track.

Basically, you set which sample plays when/where in the sequencer timeline, instead of using patterns.

Archon473

Thank you all for the advice. I have been fooling around with the FL Studio demo and watching tutorials on adjusting the drum kits to sound more human and less machine-like. We'll see how it goes.

Kozak

Banned
Sorry homies I know I been lacking on the competition that I started myself haha..

I'll go through the thread and locate any tracks made using the sample packs and upload them to the GAF soundcloud.

Then I'll move forward :)

Archon473

I think a midi device might really help you there. Something like the Beatstep;

I think I am going to buy a Maschine Mikro. I have been impressed with every visual demonstration I've seen of the hardware and I tried it for myself at a Guitar Center over the weekend. The software is very straightforward. I read most of the manual and basically started making patterns for one of my songs just to see if it would behave like I need. If only as a drum sequencer and sampler, the hardware and software seem very nice. Next I guess I need an audio interface and a compression mic to record guitar live, then a full keyboard down the road.

Hoi Music GAF! So I'm not one to have the balls to call myself a producer, even though I've technically been working on music for over a decade. Haven't really shared a whole lot, haven't really felt like I've made anything finished enough to share, haven't really had the time or patience to finish a song.

So I guess I can leave this here, see if anyone likes it or has any criticism. More of a game-ambiance track. Not really into making electronica or lyric-stuff since most can do that way better than I can, and I don't have anything to offer in that field.

I yunno....

Sup fellow music nerds! I'm here with a weird track preview I have for the follow up to my "Melbourne Bounce" track that I uploaded a few months ago and posted in here.

If anyone has any ideas for it, or any feedback, please feel free to unload!

"Amhenodol (Preview)"

lazygecko

If you want to make an online portfolio for audio work, what's the best way to go about it? Build a website? Are there any suitable templates to work with?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to make an online portfolio for audio work, what's the best way to go about it? Build a website? Are there any suitable templates to work with?
I thought of SlideRoom reading this, though that's more for someone to review portfolios for applications. It's a good service, although a bit pricey. But you could look into, the portfolio design is very sleek.

Shame there's nothing like Behance.net for music. Well, nothing I'm aware of anyway.

lazygecko

Most of the templates I find are focused on visual design. I need some way to conveniently display both video and standalone audio together.

Anth0ny

Downloaded the Cubase trial a couple of days ago. I find myself playing with it for hours and hours, losing track of time, and learning new things every single day.

I think that's a good sign? lol. probably going to be a while before I have a completed product worth posting in this thread, though!

Can anyone tell me what software I can use to make long dark basslines? I want to make something with a bassline like this:

https://soundcloud.com/drumcode/alan-fitzpatrick-eternia-masteredwav

Thanks!

You could pretty much use any popular/native VST synth to achieve that sound (I would help, but I am absolutely terrible at sound design/synthesis). It sounds like a saw/supersaw bass with some detune and maybe a low-pass filter on top of it.

If you could share what VSTs you currently have, it would be easier.

Edit: I was unaware that Falk was apart of Video Game Orchestra. Explains his vast knowledge.

Sorry I took so long to reply to this. I've tried everything and still can't get the sound. I have FL Studio with the basic vsts and recently downloaded Live but I'm still learning it. If anyone can give me some basic instructions how to do it I'd be really grateful.

ozfunghi

Sorry I took so long to reply to this. I've tried everything and still can't get the sound. I have FL Studio with the basic vsts and recently downloaded Live but I'm still learning it. If anyone can give me some basic instructions how to do it I'd be really grateful.

How "long" a bassline (or any synth sound) gets, depends on how you manage your envelopes (and hold your notes obviously). You need to understand what they mean and how they work. Attack and release are easy to get a hang of, but decay and sustain play an important part when holding a note for a long time. Many synths have envelopes for both volume and filter. It takes practice.

I think you want to use legato in this instance. See if your softsynth has an option to turn it on. If you use legato, every new note that follows instantly upon a previous note, will not re-attack the sound. So it will not do "bam-boem-bim" but rather "ba-oe-im" if you understand what i mean.

Then it comes down to "shaping" the actual sound itself with the oscillators, filters and LFO's. Don't use the lowpass filter too heavily or you will lose the gritty quality of your sound. The basic sound is created with the VCO's (oscillators). I would suggest you start from a basic setting, with as little as possible filters/effects and basic envelope settings etc. Then start with the oscillators, so you can clearly hear the differences in tweaking the VCO's. Then move on to the filters and try to get the lowpass filter frequency right. As you do this, you might have to go back and tweak your VCO's somewhat as the sound will obviously change a lot when the filters kick in. Finally, move on to the envelopes.

The Kree

Banned

I don't know how your particular synths in FL work, but here's how I'd do it in general terms.

1. Activate two or three saw wave oscillators and detune the second and third ones by five to ten cents. Maybe tune the second and third ones up and down and octave respectively, but lower them in volume so that the volume of the first oscillator is heard foremost. This will create a thicker, wider sound. Alternately, some synths allow you to trigger and detune multiple voices from a single oscillator - if yours allows that, do that.

2. Then, throw a low pass/high cut filter on it at about 5000hz-10000hz or so. This is how you get it to sound dark, by removing some of those upper frequencies.

3. If you wanna add some variation to the overall texture, modulate a band-reject filter with a very narrow bandwidth at a slow rate. When I say band-reject with narrow bandwidth, I mean this - the band is the middle of the frequency spectrum, and to reject it means to remove it, and the bandwidth is the range of frequencies surrounding the center frequency. To modulate that, you would just be sweeping the center frequency from like 500hz to 5000hz. You can automate the modulation with manual envelopes or LFOs set to whatever rate you desire.

4. For added texture, I might add a phaser or chorus effect at the end.

Once you do those third and fourth steps, you're gonna create phasing issues that cause you to lose some of your low end, at which point you're going to need to add a sub-bass underneath it, which can be achieved simply by creating a duplicate midi track with a sine wave oscillator at an octave lower than your original bassline (usually - sometimes the same octave works). Boost the lows and add some distortion if you want.

AyzOn

Neo Member
something new from gaf's local trap producer (me)

https://soundcloud.com/maumaumusic/treat-me-like-royalty

feedback is appreciated :)

I´m not big into Trap but that sounds like some solid Trap to me.
One thing that I think is a bit missing are some hard hitting snares, IIRC they use them quite often in trap. Or I suppose that differs from song to song.

Can anyone tell me what software I can use to make long dark basslines? I want to make something with a bassline like this:

https://soundcloud.com/drumcode/alan-fitzpatrick-eternia-masteredwav

I believe it should be fairly easy to recreate that with the 3osc vst from FL Studio, a friend of mine once told me how he did some stuff with it and I think if you dont have a lot of other vst´s, this might be a good one to start of with.
Just watch some tutorials and you should pretty quickly be able to recreate it.

This song started out as a mixing practice thing but there are particular things in it that I like so I ended up making a full song out of it. Though its rather short. :p

https://soundcloud.com/ayzon/on-the-edge

How "long" a bassline (or any synth sound) gets, depends on how you manage your envelopes (and hold your notes obviously). You need to understand what they mean and how they work. Attack and release are easy to get a hang of, but decay and sustain play an important part when holding a note for a long time. Many synths have envelopes for both volume and filter. It takes practice.

I think you want to use legato in this instance. See if your softsynth has an option to turn it on. If you use legato, every new note that follows instantly upon a previous note, will not re-attack the sound. So it will not do "bam-boem-bim" but rather "ba-oe-im" if you understand what i mean.

Then it comes down to "shaping" the actual sound itself with the oscillators, filters and LFO's. Don't use the lowpass filter too heavily or you will lose the gritty quality of your sound. The basic sound is created with the VCO's (oscillators). I would suggest you start from a basic setting, with as little as possible filters/effects and basic envelope settings etc. Then start with the oscillators, so you can clearly hear the differences in tweaking the VCO's. Then move on to the filters and try to get the lowpass filter frequency right. As you do this, you might have to go back and tweak your VCO's somewhat as the sound will obviously change a lot when the filters kick in. Finally, move on to the envelopes.

I don't know how your particular synths in FL work, but here's how I'd do it in general terms.

1. Activate two or three saw wave oscillators and detune the second and third ones by five to ten cents. Maybe tune the second and third ones up and down and octave respectively, but lower them in volume so that the volume of the first oscillator is heard foremost. This will create a thicker, wider sound. Alternately, some synths allow you to trigger and detune multiple voices from a single oscillator - if yours allows that, do that.

2. Then, throw a low pass/high cut filter on it at about 5000hz-10000hz or so. This is how you get it to sound dark, by removing some of those upper frequencies.

3. If you wanna add some variation to the overall texture, modulate a band-reject filter with a very narrow bandwidth at a slow rate. When I say band-reject with narrow bandwidth, I mean this - the band is the middle of the frequency spectrum, and to reject it means to remove it, and the bandwidth is the range of frequencies surrounding the center frequency. To modulate that, you would just be sweeping the center frequency from like 500hz to 5000hz. You can automate the modulation with manual envelopes or LFOs set to whatever rate you desire.

4. For added texture, I might add a phaser or chorus effect at the end.

Once you do those third and fourth steps, you're gonna create phasing issues that cause you to lose some of your low end, at which point you're going to need to add a sub-bass underneath it, which can be achieved simply by creating a duplicate midi track with a sine wave oscillator at an octave lower than your original bassline (usually - sometimes the same octave works). Boost the lows and add some distortion if you want.

I´m not big into Trap but that sounds like some solid Trap to me.
One thing that I think is a bit missing are some hard hitting snares, IIRC they use them quite often in trap. Or I suppose that differs from song to song.

I believe it should be fairly easy to recreate that with the 3osc vst from FL Studio, a friend of mine once told me how he did some stuff with it and I think if you dont have a lot of other vst´s, this might be a good one to start of with.
Just watch some tutorials and you should pretty quickly be able to recreate it.

This song started out as a mixing practice thing but there are particular things in it that I like so I ended up making a full song out of it. Though its rather short. :p

https://soundcloud.com/ayzon/on-the-edge

Thanks very much for the replies, Really appreciate it. I'll try out your suggestions tonight.

Top Bottom