• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New handheld game console announced: the Playdate

Davevil

bell-ringer-jack-off-o.gif

Me playing with that crank

protonion

How the hell did I miss this?

Sadly my country is not included but I will order the second it is added.

It is obviously made with love and the games look a lot of fun. Lot of variety and the crank is a cool little gimmick.
In fact the hardware limitations make it an ideal handheld for me, as I was never a fan of the of the high powered handheld trend that started with the PSP.

Last edited:

CobraAB

Shit, you will be able to get a PS5 much quicker if you order a Play date today.

Does look kinda cool. I did see it in Edge magazine which seems like an eternity now.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We learned a lot of different things about the Playdate during our time with it, like your can flip the screen. Here's what we found out!
Timestamps:
0:00 Intro
0:27 Playdate Mirror for Streaming
0:50 Screen's great outside
1:44 Crank
2:18 Left-hand crank mode
3:05 Accelerometer and Mic
4:00 Speaker & SFX
4:45 Bluetooth
5:45 Crash Animation
5:55 Storage Left after Season
6:21 Games Outside the Season Too
6:54 Playdate Pulp Webtool to Make Games
7:40 Another Season Later?!
8:20 Boogie Loops Pizza Butts
8:32 Outro

Last edited:

amc

Screen looks like something half of the current neogafer's where playing around a decade ago, on their Zeebo or portable ZX Spectrum clones and shit.

Nah.

Impotaku

Looking forward to mine turning up. As someone who grew up with not only electromechanical handheld games but then lcd this thing is totally for me. There’s a nice selection of games on it too, looking forward to seeing what other indie delights appear on this thing. Part of the draw is the games are not found anywhere else, well some stuff like snake is obvs phone fodder but others are unique to this.

Would rather people make unique stuff than trying to port stuff to make it just another gameboy/crappy Chinese emulation box.

RoadHazard

Watched a review. Still don't understand the crank, seems utterly pointless and gimmicky. There are much better ways to do analog input.

jaysius

No backlight, no color in 2022 is just fucking ringing out the consumer, almost predatory it's definitely lazy at the price they're asking.

These review score are padded, hell Gamespot even bitched out of giving it a score.

SF Kosmo

The Trigglypuff
My wife ordered me one for Christmas, which is perfect, as I probably wouldn't have bought one for myself but I have been very curious.

I love this sort of niche oddware, and the idea that a system's unique limitations are what gives it an individual flavor. For whatever you think of the one-bit screen and the crank. the system is amassing a library of interesting exclusive content, thanks to both the developer-friendly SDK and some smart investments with talented indies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Starting on April 7, Playdate’s price will increase by $20 to $199 due to rising manufacturing costs, the company said on Tuesday.

“That $20 delta is largely because our factory recently gave us the inevitable news that in 2023, the price of building a single Playdate is going up,” said Panic co-founder Cabel Sasser.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Manufacturer: "It's going up by $1 to build."
Playdate: "Fuck it, charge our customers $19 more and tell them the cost to build it has gone up."

Last edited:
Top Bottom