• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New handheld game console announced: the Playdate

dream

I think the idea of this is that it’s not a PSP, a DS, or any other handheld. It’s not meant to play the same types of games that we’ve been playing on every system we’ve ever owned. It’s “hipster” because it’s different and not meant to appeal to the mass market, sure, but what they’ve shown sort of invokes the spirit of stuff like Warioware Twisted—bite sized bursts of creativity Using unexpected control paradigms. PlayDate might not do well (and I kind of suspect that it won’t), but I’m glad someone’s trying something experimental.

teezzy

Banned
I think the idea of this is that it’s not a PSP, a DS, or any other handheld. It’s not meant to play the same types of games that we’ve been playing on every system we’ve ever owned. It’s “hipster” because it’s different and not meant to appeal to the mass market, sure, but what they’ve shown sort of invokes the spirit of stuff like Warioware Twisted—bite sized bursts of creativity Using unexpected control paradigms. PlayDate might not do well (and I kind of suspect that it won’t), but I’m glad someone’s trying something experimental.

Look guys, it's got a crank!!!

Agent X

The system seems to have been designed intentionally to be somewhat low-spec, like a modernization of the original Game Boy. It's sporting a monochrome screen, and (aside from the crank...which is actually kind of cool and novel) has a similar control scheme with a digital joypad and just two face buttons. It's not trying to compete with modern handhelds, or even DS/PSP level handhelds from 15+ years ago.

$179 is quite pricey for a device with such limited capabilities, though. If the price were cut in half, then it would surely appeal to a much larger audience. However, I don't think that's the intent here. It seems like the Playdate is intended as an "art piece", like a "playable sculpture" with so much emphasis devoted to its external appearance. The intended market doesn't appear to be "casual" or "lapsed" or even "retro" gamers, but rather tech collectors with extra disposable income looking for something "artsy" that they can show off on a shelf.

I'm sure they could easily get a system with these specs under $100--maybe under $70, even--but they don't want to price it that low because that would take away its appeal as a "status symbol". It's not meant to be played, it's meant to be displayed.

It's truly a shining example of form over functionality. This is entirely evident with the lack of any method of screen lighting. More in a moment.

This thing was supposed to release last year, I thought. Anyway, like Mhmmm, I'm not interested if it's not backlit. This sounds like a cool thing to have on my nightstand to game a little before bed, or keep around for a kid on a trip when the Switch's two hour battery runs out. But a non backlit screen like we're back in the 90's is a no go.

Looks like a (bad) joke, no backlight, really ?

Pretty much. Many of its limitations seemed charming, but no backlight I can't accept.

Yes, and it's even more surprising when you consider that C cabel was enthralled by the improvements that the Nintendo DS Lite brought over the original DS model, especially the DS Lite's adjustable backlight. Here's an old thread from NeoGAF with his impressions:

Here's the video from YouTube:

I wish them well with the Playdate, but personally it's very hard for me to shell out $179 for the package as it stands now.

Neil Young

We live in a world where a person that is known as "The OK Boomer Girl" just bought an apartment for 2 million bucks RIGHT AFTER A ECONOMY CRIPPLING PAMDEMIC!! Am I surprised that a console is releasing in 2021 that has a black and white screen, a pen holder, and a fucking crank? Actually yes, yes I am. Im glad the thing comes in yellow because this is absolute piss.

teezzy

Banned
I’m not sure why having a new control mechanism that could potentially open up new gameplay experiences is a bad thing. Even if it ends up not working out, the Playdate still has a dpad and buttons.

I'm just being a troll lol

It's sorta what i do here

Cheers

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to an email newsletter sent out to subscribers, pre-orders will begin on Thursday July 29 at 10am PDT / 1pm EDT / 6pm BST.

The first batch will consist of 20,000 units, but Panic assures would-be customers that the system will technically not ‘sell out’.

If a customer is one of the first 20,000 to order the handheld they will receive their Playdate among the first batch being sent out in late 2021.

Anyone who wants to pre-order after this milestone is reached will still be able to place the order – they will simply be added to a waiting list and receive their unit when the next batch is produced.

The Playdate itself will sell for $179, while an optional cover will be sold for $29.

Impotaku

Seems the sold through their 1st 20,000 units in only a few minutes, now any new preorders are for next year. Pretty good start.

Rodolink

sighs I wanted to get it so badly but then at checkout I chickened out, 20$ cover plus 26€ shipment 220€ for this...

dtremblay

I'm so bummed. Do you think there will be any secondary market selling preorders for the 2021 shipment?

I've been so excited about this thing. I love its whole vibe and the idea of checking out each game as they're released sounds rad. I hope it'll be like collectively watching a prestige show, only it's a goofy little game -- the zeitgeist sounds like part of the fun. I had a reminder on my phone for earlier today and everything.

Well, I finally got home a little after 10 tonight and I finally checked a few notifications I missed throughout the day. Nooo!!! I didn't stop moving all day and it completely slipped my mind. I got my preorder in, but it's a 2022 ship date. I have no clue what the lead time on these things is but I can't imagine the second wave will hit that soon after the first, but what do I know. All these things are subject to change and for all I know the second wave will come a month after the first.

I don't know if it'll be possible because I assume no one who preordered this thing is looking to offload it, but where would a secondary market for this even show up? eBay? Would you even be able to transfer a preorder? Agh, it's fine. This is all fine. Everything is fine.

dtremblay

Lmfao nevermind. I finally checked the news for the first time today and see that the first allotment sold out in 20 minutes. I'll get it whenever it shows up.

Good for Panic!

Impotaku

It was madness trying to get one just as the site went live, they used a checkout queuing system which was great so you just had to wait, however when i got to the shipping address it said they didn't ship to the uk even though the uk is clearly one of the accepted regions. Basically anyone outside the usa got fucked over by shopifys crappy plugin but panic sorted it pretty fast. It also triggered a fraud alert on my credit card so i got a sms that i had to respond to which released the funds. Was a hassle but i managed to get one from the 2021 batch, setup my playdate account ready for when it arrives so i can link it to that.

Quite a few people got screwed over by the shop plugins blocking them at shipping & payments so by the time panic had fixed the store and people got back to order they had missed the first batch, twitter is not pretty at the moment but to be honest they never expected quite this much attention but it's a promising sign that so many want one. I'm giving them a little slack as it's their first ever hardware release, fuck even the console big 3 can't do it properly lol

dtremblay

i don't understand why brick and mortars don't sell "reservations" for ps5s... surely there's some obvious logical considerations i haven't thought of...

i'm glad to hear that the playdate season rolls out once you connect your device to wifi. seems like the prudent choice.

Sorcerer

What worry's me is there is no guarantee of a second season of games. They are taking a wait and see approach. As of now it seems like they are treating the Playdate as a one and done deal. 24 games that come with the Playdate, but that might all the games we ever see for this device.

Last edited:
Alright homies, place your bets. Which system will be the biggest flop? Playdate, Atari VCS, or Intellivision Amico? So much glorious failure, I can't contain my joy!

At the very least, they're all still superior to the Coleco Chameleon by virtue of actually existing.

ReBurn

Alright homies, place your bets. Which system will be the biggest flop? Playdate, Atari VCS, or Intellivision Amico? So much glorious failure, I can't contain my joy!

At the very least, they're all still superior to the Coleco Chameleon by virtue of actually existing.
I wish some of these options had a real shot at success. But VCS is too expensive, Playdate is too hipster, and Amico has Tommy Tallarico.

Wouldn't mind repurposing a fire sale VCS as a Linux server, though.

I wish some of these options had a real shot at success. But VCS is too expensive, Playdate is too hipster, and Amico has Tommy Tallarico.

Wouldn't mind repurposing a fire sale VCS as a Linux server, though.
I'll be fair and say that some of the Amico games look really cool (Earthworm Jim especially), but at the end of the day, it's just fuckin' pointless and too expensive. The Switch already does everything the Amico is setting out to do (family friendly titles, couch based multiplayer, retro style indie games, etc), except with a much larger and higher quality library (including games outside of the Amico philosophy), and only $50 more expensive. I mean, if the Amico was $100 cheaper, that would be one thing, but $250? Really? You really expect people to plop that down when the Switch is objectively a better value?

And yeah, like I said, some of the games look cool, but most of it just looks like soulless mobile crap.

Oh, and check out Tommy's Ten Commandments AKA Ten Reasons This Thing Is Going To Bomb Miserably.

EGC9hJuUwAADJ6W.jpg:large

Yeah, that's surely not going to alienate indie devs with these totally sensible and not at all totalitarian guidelines.

I mean, I would like to be wrong and see it thrive, but I just don't see that happening.

Sorcerer

I just came here to say exactly this. Found out that Lucas Pope is making a game for it and now I have to give a shit.

I'll still never get one but now I have to be salty about it.
Mars After Midnight has me intrigued just from the two screenshots I have seen of it. Its sort of giving me fomo wondering how deep can the game experiences possibly be on this tiny thing with a crank?

Edit: Turns out Pope is making a fun game for his kids. Turns out the man who I was hoping would bring something with depth to the Playdate is making a casual game.
That leaves Saturday Edition as the one game I feel could be interesting.

Last edited:

ReBurn

I'll be fair and say that some of the Amico games look really cool (Earthworm Jim especially), but at the end of the day, it's just fuckin' pointless and too expensive. The Switch already does everything the Amico is setting out to do (family friendly titles, couch based multiplayer, retro style indie games, etc), except with a much larger and higher quality library (including games outside of the Amico philosophy), and only $50 more expensive. I mean, if the Amico was $100 cheaper, that would be one thing, but $250? Really? You really expect people to plop that down when the Switch is objectively a better value?

And yeah, like I said, some of the games look cool, but most of it just looks like soulless mobile crap.

Oh, and check out Tommy's Ten Commandments AKA Ten Reasons This Thing Is Going To Bomb Miserably.

EGC9hJuUwAADJ6W.jpg:large

Yeah, that's surely not going to alienate indie devs with these totally sensible and not at all totalitarian guidelines.

I mean, I would like to be wrong and see it thrive, but I just don't see that happening.
I would probably buy Amico if I could get decent access to the Intellivision games I played when I was a kid. Astro Smash, Night Stalker, etc. I'm even intrigued by the modern variants I've seen. But man does Amico smell a lot like Ouya to me. And full disclosure, I have an Ouya in a box around here somewhere. I used to take it with me when I traveled to attach to hotel TVs.

I'm interested in Playdate as well, just not $179 interested. Maybe $79 interested for what it is. I recently bought an RG351M to get my easy retro style gaming on the go fix so the chances of me buying Playdate pretty slim.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I would probably buy Amico if I could get decent access to the Intellivision games I played when I was a kid. Astro Smash, Night Stalker, etc. I'm even intrigued by the modern variants I've seen. But man does Amico smell a lot like Ouya to me. And full disclosure, I have an Ouya in a box around here somewhere. I used to take it with me when I traveled to attach to hotel TVs.

I'm interested in Playdate as well, just not $179 interested. Maybe $79 interested for what it is. I recently bought an RG351M to get my easy retro style gaming on the go fix so the chances of me buying Playdate pretty slim.
Tommy did say they will sell the original Intellevision games in packs, but he doesn't want to do that when the system first releases because he doesn't want to sell the Amico on the premise that it is a plug and play type thing. But this thing is not even going hit its October release date, and they will probably infinitely delay it, like Polymega. If you ask me all the original Intellevision games should have been the pack in instead of the six games they chose. It probably would have cost them nothing to do that.

I am tempted by the Playdate as well, but I need to know that I won't burn through the 24 games in a week, and then there might be nothing more for it ever. Also something really trivial like releasing the thing in a blue variation would probably tip me over into getting one as well. I am that shallow lol, but I would hate to buy one in yellow only for it to be a success and them them releasing different colors. Perhaps it is just a self defense mechanism not to spend the almost 200 bucks for it.

Last edited:

My prediction. Rank in order of sales units

1. Playdate
2. Intellivision
3. Atari

rofif

Anyone preordered this? seems expensive for 180 but 24 games are included (over 12 weeks or whatever)

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Maybe if this was $69 I would buy one.

Impotaku

What worry's me is there is no guarantee of a second season of games. They are taking a wait and see approach. As of now it seems like they are treating the Playdate as a one and done deal. 24 games that come with the Playdate, but that might all the games we ever see for this device.
Not much of a worry at all with it getting game support, the thing is totally open. Panic will be releasing the sdk so anyone can make whatever games they please and you can sideload games onto it you don't have to just rely on the official seasons of games. The programming environment has been designed for people who don't have programming experience to be still able to make stuff. I'm looking forward to see what gets created.

UnNamed

18+ Member
179$ is not that much considering it's not a mass production product. It also have a (free?) game every month and a devkit which is the thing I like the most on the Pico8.

FPGA consoles are more expensive in comparison.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We finally get our hands on the final Playdate and see how it feels! Also, we check out its intro animation, and compare it to the Switch.

Timestamps:
0:00 Playdate Unboxing
4:15 Picking up the Playdate
4:39 The Crank!
6:32 Intro Animation
8:09 Direct Feed Intro Animation
9:05 Key Chain
9:54 The Weigh-In
10:32 Playdate Size vs Switch

Last edited:

TwinB242

Everytime I see this thing im reminded of how much better the screen would look if it was just a normal color display. It just seems like such a missed opportunity and would have made the device way more appealing to me.

Sorcerer

Everytime I see this thing im reminded of how much better the screen would look if it was just a normal color display. It just seems like such a missed opportunity and would have made the device way more appealing to me.
I'm wondering if the black and white screen's real purpose was just to make programming games that much easier, so they waste no time in making games for the system, (they talk about seasons, but seem to have no real commitment to that, it could just be the inital launch lineup for all we know) plus the fact that each unit is a dev kit and they are encouraging the public to make games for it?

Last edited:

Chittagong

Black and white screen is cool as it forces you to create fundamentally simpler concepts and embrace traditional techniques like dithering, making for a novel experience. The real dealbreaker is, in my opinion, the fact that the screen is not lit.

Top Bottom