• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New handheld game console announced: the Playdate

jufonuk

not tag worthy
hipster eating GIF

well you get 24 games included with that price. so you are not only paying for the System with these 180 bucks, you also pay for the 24 games. the question is if these games are worth it

let's say each game is worth $5, that's $120 worth of games, making the system cost $60.
if you give each game a price tag of $2.50 you have $60 worth of games and the system being $120

I expect the games to be about as content rich as say a Pokemon Mini game or an Xbox Live Indie game back in the day. with maybe 1 or 2 of them being more in depth and bigger titles, given they increased the storage to 4GB

Last edited:
System seems like a total waste of money, but putting on my scalper investment hat, it might be one of those systems that isn't made in large amounts.

Buy it, leave it sealed and sell it in 10+ years for bank?

Reactions: MrS

So is this another android scam or is this a legit console?

it is legit, but super lofi... and pretty sure it doesn't run on android

they got some cool indy devs working on games for it as well like Keita Takahashi (Katamari) or Bennett Foddy (Getting over It)
and the people producing it are the publishers of Untitled Goose Game, Panic inc

Last edited:

McCheese

They ordered 20k units for their first batch?! Fucking hell. Is it just me, or is that an awful lot for something like this?

Presuming markup is around 30% that equates to a cool million in profit, but when you factor in their publishers take, and they have to split what remains 24 ways for the games... Nobody is making a lot of money off this thing.

rofif

it is legit, but super lofi... and pretty sure it doesn't run on android

they got some cool indy devs working on games for it as well like Keita Takahashi (Katamari) or Bennett Foddy (Getting over It)
and the people producing it are the publishers of Untitled Goose Game, Panic inc

benet foddy made a game for this ?! nice

u4ea

Finally some news!
I'm actually really looking forward to this.

To the people saying it's a waste of money or is too expensive...
This is clearly not a mass produced product and cashgrab.
It's a super niche, unique, high quality product that's clearly a labor of love, where they probably don't even make a lot of money on.

That's like saying Haute Cuisine restaurants are BS because you get so little portions so you should always go to McDonalds instead.

I love it.

Rodolink

After their "direct" it's more clear to me now the direction they're having, basically a company that wants to stablish itself as an alternative to Nintendo.
I cant wait to get mine though and start creating my own prototypes.
One that seems like a joke though is that Stereo speaker stand, with a rollerball pen 😒 which surely will sell at 60$ or even more. bit ridiculous but well they goy the money to do whatever the heck they want.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This thing was supposed to release last year, I thought. Anyway, like Mhmmm, I'm not interested if it's not backlit. This sounds like a cool thing to have on my nightstand to game a little before bed, or keep around for a kid on a trip when the Switch's two hour battery runs out. But a non backlit screen like we're back in the 90's is a no go.

dream

Granted, I’m partial to experimental indie games, but that presentation was unexpectedly exciting. I think I saw more creativity in those few minutes than I did across an entire console generation.

I don’t know how well this will do once it hits the market, but I love the idea of a system where the specs are such that developers have to think outside of the box instead of relying on pure horsepower.

This thing screams "Portable Ouya."

Read they are doing a 20k initial run, which I suspect will prove ambitious. Seems like it's being marketed at the same hipster crowd that makes noise on Twitter but never actually buys the things they applaud.

Panic is a boutique run by hipsters that rarely get any sunlight, so yeah they're gonna overprice the fuck outta the thing and count on limited supply combined with FOMO from other beard dandruff-plagued bedroom dwellers. Just like Analogue does.

MisterHero

Lol it really is for hipsters.

I'm not sure about the existing games but Pulp sounds interesting. Call me crazy but modern consoles should revive the ability to make your own content up to and including full games.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who looked at this and thought, "hipster bullshit."

Hope it's a wild success though, not trying to completely shit on their efforts.

I hope it’s the opposite of a wild success. It looks like it’s designed for gaming press to fap over, with simplistic titles that don’t require much skill that they can all play once then give 10/10 and use to gatekeep “the retro future of true gaming.”

I can’t wait for the smug IGN launch editorial about how it’s the perfect system to play every morning before putting in your ear gauges, and the inevitable bitter Polygon postmortem article that labels everyone who didn’t buy a Playdate a bigot.

ReBurn

God this looks like retarded bullshit

Anyone buying this as opposed to a used PSP, Vita, or 3DS and just installing CFW is a total knob goblin
Yeah piracy is what everyone should be doing instead of this, amirite fellow kids?

teezzy

Banned
Yeah piracy is what everyone should be doing instead of this, amirite fellow kids?

Do you also oppose used game sales? These aren't platforms which are actively supported in 2021.

Enjoy your moral high ground and hipster crank, I guess

Rodolink

Damn why so much hate? i think it's just because of the price. If it would cost 60$ the narrative would be similar to that stupid game and watch "nice for a late 5 min gaming or as a paperweight with a clock" but since it costs fuckin 180$ it's just a hypster thing, even though its innovative enough and excellent quality and design.

Last edited:
God this looks like retarded bullshit

Anyone buying this as opposed to a used PSP, Vita, or 3DS and just installing CFW is a total knob goblin
Hell, with that money you can buy two Retroid Pocket 2 and you and another person will play approximately 1000x more games. On a backlit screen even.

Top Bottom