• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New RPG Maker (RPG Maker MV) revealed by Famitsu

Hopefully this will be the edition where they start getting more aggressively ambitious to really make some inroads for quality and overall progress.

ZeroX03

Mobile, three layers, high resolution. Looks like we're finally getting the RPG Maker we deserve*.

*VX's style and RTP are a disappointment but nobody should be using RTP anyway.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Low resolution should be an option. Makes it easier to make your own custom graphics if you can draw small pixelly things.

Aru

RPG Maker for Mac OS X... I thought I'd never see that. Very nice!
I've been using RPG Maker VX for Windows through Splashtop on my MacBook Air in the meanwhile. Not best, but since my PC is connected to my living room TV, I don't have a better option.

swit

I'm wondering if Vita is under supported devices. Could be a nice engine for very small indie devs. I remember a questionnaire released few years ago where they've asked (among other things) which platform you would like to be able to export games to and how much you would pay for such addition to RM VX. Vita was one of the available answers if I remember correctly.

Sakura

Low resolution should be an option. Makes it easier to make your own custom graphics if you can draw small pixelly things.

I'm sure it is. Other RPG makers already had different resolutions as options, there just wasn't anything above 800x600 iirc.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
i guess i shouldn't wait a translation for that before some years right ?

As others said, it was about 3 months between VX and Ace. And since those came out, RPG Maker has blown up in popularity in the west, in big parts because of the rise of indie games, YouTubers, and some fantastic RPG Maker-made games (such as Ib, Witch's House, OFF, To The Moon, Yume Nikki, Corpse Party, etc.) taking off, so they likely want to deliver it to their established base timely.

I need to see more as the small list of details leave some questions. It sounds like the biggest deals are multi-platform support and high resolutions, which DON'T GET ME WRONG, both of those are a big deal and two of my most requested features, but I'm kind of hoping their will be new cool stuff in the engine as it sounds like developing is pretty much the same from the details and the RTP in the screens look like VX and Ace's RTP. Much more to see, though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Neat, native side battle support is welcome. A little disappointed they're not updated the look of it at all. Oh well.

Any sprite artists want to partner up to make a game?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh. The ability to make for mobile? That'll be a gamechanger for RPG Maker.

When's Marvel Humble Bundle?

darkandroid

Neo Member
Cant wait to get my hands on this! I'm in the middle of creating assets and writing the story for a game on VX Ace, but I'm probably going to suspend the development portion of it until MV comes out state side...I'm probably thinking there will be a new version of RGSS with MV as well.

woopWOOP

RPGM2000/2003 were the bees knees. I'm guessing the new side battle system is similar to that of 2003?

I was hoping they'd make a new 3D RPG Maker eventually, like RPG Maker 2 for PS2. Place different shapes with customisable textures, you'd be able to make some goofy fun stuff with that.

is there any information about compatibility with the older version. at least VXA? like can you import projects over or nah.

udivision

Support for mobile is cool.

I wish there will be something "big" that'll shake things up though. This seems like another entry in the stagnant "V" series though...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
This is pretty damn cool.

Branson

Omg I'm glad I saw this before it fell off the first page. This is great news. I've been making ideas for RPG maker games ever since high school with friends(mid 2000s). Even recently put some of those notebooks of ideas up on Google Docs for purposes such as these. Love me some RPG maker.

BlackJace

I love messing around with VX Ace. Almost "done" with a project too.

The inclusion of side view is loooong overdue.

Overside

Banned
Maybe ill get back into this, rpg maker was always fun, used to have little game jams with a buddy, where we would make the intro and 1st dungeon and play each others stuff.

Dont have time to read right now, but are they still using ruby? Or is it something new now?

Meaty

2000 is still my favorite and where my favorite games are, but Im willing to give this one a shot if the engine is versatile and its able to make games for mobile.

legacyzero

Banned
Best fucking news yet. I stopped using RMVX ACE Because its terrible arbitrary limits. Ill be keeping my eyes on this...

HI RESOLUTION!

udivision

Side views have been possible for a while in rpg maker. You just need to know how to work with scripts.

It was the default in 2003.
Then it was removed.
XP had a higher resolution. VX/Ace reduced the resolution.
XP had the most layers for mapping. Then VX had the least.
Not to mention the limits for pictures and stats and all that stuff has been all over the place.

Has Game Freak been making RPG Maker?

Oh my... I might want to get this. Curious about the multi device support. Are we talking mobile or more of a master version that supports home console and PC releases? I'll keep an eye on this.

It's probably RM2K nostalgia, but there's potential in making a pretty decent game.

It was the default in 2003.
Then it was removed.
XP had a higher resolution. VX/Ace reduced the resolution.
XP had the most layers for mapping. Then VX had the least.
Not to mention the limits for pictures and stats and all that stuff has been all over the place.

Has Game Freak been making RPG Maker?

lol

SoldnerKei

Key points outlined in the magazine include:
•Multi-device support.
•Side-view battles added.
•Support for both touch controls and mouse controls.
•Big increase on the limit of database items.
•Maps are automatically three-layered.
•Games run in high resolution.

those are enough to get me interested, will keep an eye on this... thou I got the others on the last humble bundle, but haven't work on anything yet lol

first gonna work more on those and then consider buying this

Top Bottom