• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New RPG Maker (RPG Maker MV) revealed by Famitsu

iOS and Android didn't exist 10 years ago, and that's clearly the biggest draw for this release.

Graphically the engine hasn't changed. In fact it's regressed in places between iterations, VX's original release notably. They clearly don't intend to move forward too far. It's why it hasn't changed. And we also don't know if that resolution and aspect ratio can be changed, it could be slightly in VX ACE and there's evidence that 16:9 at the very least will be supported too.

It's silly to think that RPG Maker would leave the niche of recreating 16bit gen RPGs. There are a bunch of others game makers which provide more freedom like the GameMaker from YOYOGames.

Like I said in my earlier post. Either embrace the limits of the RPG Maker or use one of the more powerful alternatives.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Very interesting. Javascript was the first language that I learned seriously, and I'm actually learning Ruby now. I wonder how the community will react to having to learn a new language since Javascript is quite different than Ruby.

Very exciting... I code in mostly Typescript and C# for my job... that plus mobile development means it's definitely time for me to get back into RPG Maker. Want to make my dream game influenced by 90's dance music culture.

bomblord1

Banned
Holy crap javascript is megaton. It's seriously one of the easiest languages to write code in I've ever used. It's obviously not as fast or powerful as lower level languages but for something like this you really don't need it.

legacyzero

Banned
Come on now with that resolution. Its why I wont use the previous RMs anymore. Such stupid limitations even though the maker itself is pretty intuitive.

Here are a list of the most popular resolutions used by Steam users.

1920 x 1080 (34.72%)
1366 x 768 (26.61%)
1600 x 900 (7.41%)
1280 x 1024 (5.31%)
1440 x 900 (5.04%)
1680 x 1050 (4.80%)
1360 x 768 (3.00%)
1024 x 768 (2.25%)
1280 x 800 (2.00%)
1920 x 1200 (1.60%)
2560 x 1440 (1.19%)
1280 x 720 (1.15%)

That RPG Maker resolution doesn't scale nicely into any of those.

Omnicent

Holy crap javascript is megaton. It's seriously one of the easiest languages to write code in I've ever used. It's obviously not as fast or powerful as lower level languages but for something like this you really don't need it.

This is my thought. I use JS a lot at work, so I will probably take a look at MV

bomblord1

Banned

1920 x 1080 (34.72%)
1366 x 768 (26.61%)
1600 x 900 (7.41%)
1280 x 1024 (5.31%)
1440 x 900 (5.04%)
1680 x 1050 (4.80%)
1360 x 768 (3.00%)
1024 x 768 (2.25%)
1280 x 800 (2.00%)
1920 x 1200 (1.60%)
2560 x 1440 (1.19%)
1280 x 720 (1.15%)

Wasn't it fairly easy to go into the settings/files and change the window resolution in previous RPG makers? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

This is my thought. I use JS a lot at work, so I will probably take a look at MV

Yea, I'm a web developer so Javascript is like my lifeblood having something I'm so familiar with would be amazing (Played around with Ruby on VX and got a decent grasp on it but didn't understand a lot of the syntax)

ZeroX03

816×624? What's the point of supporting such a weird resolution?

1920 x 1080 (34.72%)
1366 x 768 (26.61%)
1600 x 900 (7.41%)
1280 x 1024 (5.31%)
1440 x 900 (5.04%)
1680 x 1050 (4.80%)
1360 x 768 (3.00%)
1024 x 768 (2.25%)
1280 x 800 (2.00%)
1920 x 1200 (1.60%)
2560 x 1440 (1.19%)
1280 x 720 (1.15%)

As discussed, they're interested in that old aesthetic and don't have any interest in changing. However we can see in pictures there's seemingly 16:9 (judging by text boxes) versions of the games so it's likely there will be options. There would kind of have to be for porting to smartphones.

It could be a powerful and user friendly professional engine but that's just not the direction they want to go in. They're interested in singular casual users, for better or worse.

Wasn't it fairly easy to go into the settings/files and change the window resolution in previous RPG makers? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Doing so violated the license and you couldn't sell your game. You could use scripts to increase the resolution by only a small amount.

LiamExe

Archeia, who is in the beta for RPG Maker MV at the moment, has confirmed that it's possible to reach higher resolutions, though plugins are required.

They also posted a video of the results they've achieved through initial test scripting, so things are looking quite nice.

Even though the video has an earlier date than the announcement of MV, they confirmed themselves that this was indeed done in MV's engine.

Timeaisis

Ah, the memories of messing around with RM2K with my online friends years ago. I'll probably buy this out of nostalgia.

ZeroX03

Archeia, who is in the beta for RPG Maker MV at the moment, has confirmed that it's possible to reach higher resolutions, though plugins are required.

Freaking brilliant. Excited to see where scripts will take us. Maybe it could do wonderful things.

E: unlimited layers through scripting apparently!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Javascript is a good engine and one of the features for MV was supposed to be limitations overcome through scripting easily, so I'm not surprised. In VX Ace you could get higher resolutions through scripting in Ruby fairly easily, but not the internal resolution beyond 640x480, it seems they removed the limitation to do that through scripting, which corresponds with their bullet point they've removed engine limitations for those who want to script things.

Unlimited layering with scripting is also huge news.

Kalentan

On the contrary...I would port it :p

The new rpg maker will be better and offer more distribution opportunities :)

I already got waaaay too many scripts I'm using and since this uses Java, I doubt the scripts would come with it.

On a sort of unreleated note, Windows 10 makes recording gameplay and screenshots for RPG Maker WAAAAY easier than ever before. :D

zashga

Hey, neat. I had a lot of fun participating in the RPG Maker challenge last year. It'll be cool to see what the new version can do. Having more layers to work with already sounds like a nice improvement.

Not sure how I feel about the move from Ruby to JS. I imagine this means they're substantially rewriting the engine and script base, so that will probably be bigger than just changing the language. I do like Ruby, though.

udivision

Haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread but they're giving really good information.

Oh cool. If it's as open as something like Construct 2, but with built in features for RPGs...

then... I might start a project with it... and then... not get anywhere :(

legacyzero

Banned
That's good news then. Base RM is not that great, but once the scriptors get to work, it starts getting better and better.

Kalentan

It's the RPG Maker curse!

Honestly I've debated holding off my current game until later... Again. Like I've started 2 projects only to hold them off till I get better... I can't seem to just make a simple 2-4 or so hour game. I keep wanting to make like 30 hour games as my FIRST game.

Maybe I should make an episodic game, you know? Satisify my desire to long games, but split up.

orioto

Good Art™
Can someone tell me (i've learned rpg maker last year to make something but i abandoned cause i can't really do it in English anyway) whow the third layer will be used ?

I'd really like to be able to be more free with what you can do graphically.

Would really love to check this out.

I've never played around with any game makers before but have always been curious. No time like the present, or when ever this comes states side.

ZeroX03

oh. didn't know it was a game. thought it was screen with a blinking button LOL

Yeah I discovered it by accident. I thought it was a screenshot and then accidentally tapped on it. The scaling looks good when I pinch and zoom. Only thing is I can't hear music.

Dusk Golem

4c8970475ecf4c5cb552b0876deb1aa8.png

Now, I wait.

Dusk Golem

Release Date: October 23rd

RPG Maker Web itself replied with that release date to some comments on this facebook post.

That is... Much sooner than expected.

Since I wrapped up Close Your Eyes, me and my artist were just finishing planning for another RPG Maker horror thing, now to debate if we stick to VX Ace or move the project to MV to learn it as we go. It thankfully sprung on us in the planning stage and we hadn't started development yet.

ZeroX03

Also there will be a VX Ace to MV converter. Doesn't support scripts but that's fair enough, I expect it to be passably barebones for simple projects.

Also supports asynchronous loading which is great.

And that release date is fantastic. Pre order of course.

Big step up in many areas!

Top Bottom