• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

zou

Avutta1978 said:
i think it could work as long as the cursor is center on the screen, the problem looking at red steel for instance is that since you can free look all over the screen with the wiimote , it makes it hard to do a 180 trun

And that right there might be the biggest problem. Before I've seen all the footage, I actually thought they would go this way, and thus improve the controls. As it is right now, using the wiimote seems actually inferior to the traditional controllers, taking the way current controllers work and making it even worse.

I just can't understand why they won't have the field of view fixed to/follow the crosshair, just like with keyboard & mouse.

Jiggy

May 11, 2006 - Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development's general manager, Takahashi Tezuka, told IGN Wii on Thursday that Nintendo Tokyo is the studio making Super Mario Galaxy.

Nintendo Tokyo has only been operating for a couple of years and is comprised primarily of former EAD employees. The studio is best known for its off-the-wall, but critically acclaimed GameCube platformer Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.
YES, yes yes yes! :eek: Excitement +7.
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is fantastic.

Mrbob

Oh snapplecakes. I just downloaded the press conference off of IGN and noticed Koei is making a Dynasty Warriors game for Wii. Looks like it is first person hack and slash, so I don't know how it will turn out. Interesting.

And why is the guy targeting characters before firing in Red Steel? It is autoshooting.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
birdchili said:
I categorically disagree with this. The games that Nintendo is showing are way *more* geared to the hardcore than I was expecting. Look at Mario - I was pretty-much certain that this would be a really casual-friendly game using the wiimote only - nope - the flagship mascot game is nunchuck control, with movement on the analog, and pointing on the remote. Getting good at something like this is going to require some skills.

I'm actually surprised we didn't see more games using one-handed control given all of Ns talk of late.
What else can I look at besides Mario? Mario was THE only Wii title that impressed and excited me...but not simply due to the Wii features.

Endgegner

Red Steel has some sort of 'freeze' mode, in which the action stops and than you can shot at specific body parts. After you quit the freeze mode, you autoshoot the marked spots.In the video you can see that the first spots are red, and the last one is green, and the rod dots kill the enemys, while the green one shoots the weapon out of the enemys hand.

zou said:
And that right there might be the biggest problem. Before I've seen all the footage, I actually thought they would go this way, and thus improve the controls. As it is right now, using the wiimote seems actually inferior to the traditional controllers, taking the way current controllers work and making it even worse.

I just can't understand why they won't have the field of view fixed to/follow the crosshair, just like with keyboard & mouse.
i don't think wiimote is inferiro, frankly a dumb assesment, looking at matt play metriod prime 3, retro used a different aprroach, were it seems the cursr is center but only drift slighly off. i thinkit boils down to how the developers impelment this. not the Wii mote, it could have a centered cursor like keyboard and mouse, also remember we have medal of honor airborne and call of duty 3 on the wii. i want to see how ea and activision implement controls.

zou

Avutta1978 said:
i don't think wiimote is inferiro, frankly a dumb assesment, looking at matt play metriod prime 3, retro used a different aprroach, were it seems the cursr is center but only drift slighly off. i thinkit boils down to how the developers impelment this. not the Wii mote, it could have a centered cursor like keyboard and mouse, also remember we have medal of honor airborne and call of duty 3 on the wii. i want to see how ea and activision implement controls.

That's why I wrote "as it is right now", since we only saw Red Steel & MP3 so far, and controlling those, in my opinion, sucks hard. And you know what else sucks? Your spelling.

zou said:
That's why I wrote "as it is right now", since we only saw Red Steel & MP3 so far, and controlling those, in my opinion, sucks hard. And you know what else sucks? Your spelling.
lol i know my spelling sucks, sorry didn't notice that.

I just got a call from a buddy of mine at e3. he just played metriod, says the contols work well for him, but its not th esame as mouse and keyboard or anology stick. he siad that the learn curve might be more inclined to hardcore gamers. but i do see where you are comng from.

What's with the lack of Nintendo PR? Usually around this time we get interview after interview of Reggie and Perrin and co, giving us false hope about certain games coming out or being developed.

IGNWii: So Reggie, will we get F-Zero on Wii?
Reggie: You know, it's certainly a possibility. I'm sure people over in Japan are looking in to it.
Perrin: It'd be good, wouldn't it?
IGNWii: Yeah.
Reggie: We know the fans want it.

*GAF explodes*

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
The more I read, the more I believe Nintendo's "message" is nothing more than a series of empty promises and statements...

Before realizing how the Wii wand ACTUALLY functions (ie - I expected something more complex than it actually is)...most of the games shown did not interest me. Would I have given any of them (outside of Mario) a glance had they been playable with a normal control pad? Absolutely not. The wand makes things seem a tad more interesting, though none of the content looked to deliver any sort of long lasting excitement nor anything that I would expect to be memorable.

After hearing more about how the wand actually functions, however, it sounds so much less interesting. It doesn't sound like the wand offers much more in the way of quick camera control than an analog stick (let alone a mouse, which seems to be miles beyond the wand in terms of accuracy and speed) and the general amount of actions required by the player all seem so very simplistic. These games all seem to be made for the very people Nintendo keeps pushing for; non-gamers. Designing their games at the EXPENSE of gamers, however, is not want I want to see.

What worries me is that, with Sony's PS3 price, Japanese developers could flock to the Wii and I'll end up with a bunch of stuff I never wanted in place of what I was REALLY looking forward to.

Sony's approach to this whole "movement" fad is much more reasonable to me as it is clearly an extra feature on top of an awesome controller rather than the sole focus of the machine.

Nintendo impressed me with their conference and the concepts behind the Wii...but the actual product doesn't excite me. Limited, gimmicky functionality combined with weak, last generation visuals. Surely people also realize that the limited power of the machine does not limit the visuals alone.

In that case, Sony will have no one to blame but themselves for letting Nintendo take a Japanese victory. Money talks.

yoopoo

Banned
HOT!

The Wii Virtual Console stations used the gamepad Wii classic controller instead of the motion-sensing Wii-mote used with modern Wii games like Metroid Prime 3: Corruption or Super Mario Galaxy. We spent time playing all five games and didn't notice any differences between the Virtual Console versions and the originals, although we must admit that it's been about decade since we last played these games on their native systems. Games played in a letterbox on the widescreen booth display, but screens still looked sharp and vibrant.

The button settings were fairly intuitive for most games since the layout of the Wii classic controller can safely mimic the controllers of past consoles. Super Mario 64 had the least familiar mapping with player movement bound to the left analog stick, camera angle bound to the right analog stick, and the Z button bound to a tiny button stuck on top of the controller, just to the left of the right shoulder button. Hopefully, Nintendo will allow players to set their own button bindings in shipping Wii systems. The select and pause buttons function as expected, and players can press the home button in the center of the controller to open a quit game prompt to go back to the game-selection menu.

After seeing the Wii handle five flagship console games without a problem, it appears that the Virtual Console emulator is poised for a successful launch.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6150678.html

Deku

Banned
dark10x said:
Sony's approach to this whole "movement" fad is much more reasonable to me as it is clearly an extra feature on top of an awesome controller rather than the sole focus of the machine.

Are you Sony PR? fanboy in denial over the pricing and the generally terrible Sony E3?

What Sony 'copied' is the tilt component of the Wii control mechanism and both the nunchuck and the wiimote itself can sense titling.

The Sony controller doesn't know where the position of your hand is in space, so the most important and significant functionality of the Wiimote is not only not replicated, the tilt was added at the expense of rumble, which Sony now won't have.

At best, Sony traded one accepted feature for a soon to be accepted feature, without copying the meat of the Nintendo design, which is a controller than a user can play around with in 3D space and not merely a gyro tilting mechanism.

And it's interesitng to note that all the gyro jokes from the Sony diehards have evaporated now that the biggest controller innovation Sony could offer this gen is precisely what they were making fun of just a few months ago, and ironically, it isn't even the core function of what Nintendo had in mind for its controller.

jax (old)

Banned
Deku said:
Are you Sony PR? fanboy in denial over the pricing and the generally terrible Sony E3?

What Sony 'copied' is the tilt component of the Wii control mechanism and both the nunchuck and the wiimote itself can sense titling.

The Sony controller doesn't know where the position of your hand is in space, so the most important and significant functionality of the Wiimote is not only not replicated, the tilt was added at the expense of rumble, which Sony now won't have.

At best, Sony traded one accepted feature for a soon to be accepted feature, without copying the meat of the Nintendo design, which is a controller than a user can play around with in 3D space and not merely a gyro tilting mechanism.

And it's interesitng to note that all the gyro jokes from the Sony diehards have evaporated now that the biggest controller innovation Sony could offer this gen is precisely what they were making fun of just a few months ago, and ironically, it isn't even the core function of what Nintendo had in mind for its controller.

jebus. what a long stupid diatribe. get over it.

copied? :lol

cvxfreak

Jax said:
jebus. what a long stupid diatribe. get over it.

copied? :lol

The one he quoted was even longer.

And yes, I agree, Sony never, ever, ever had Nintendo in mind when designing their controller, just like Sony never had Nintendo in mind for developing the original controller in the first place. Or the game that looks like Animal Crossing on the PSP with the character that pops up when the game is reset.................

Yamauchi

Banned
I just watched 1up's Sonic Wii video. Are people thinking this game isn't any good? I haven't heard anyone talk about it, but to me it looks nice. Needs some work, but it's definitely a step in the right direction given the last few outings.

Deku

Banned
Sonic looks very nice to me. Most comments I've seen or heard was positive.

The only legitimate complaint I've heard was the fear Sonic Wii is going to be mostly about running forward. Which struck me as kind of odd since that's kind of the point of the original Sonic games before Sega screwed it up.

Jasoco

Banned
Henk_Glimlach said:
Is there something new on Duck Hunt?
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/706/706955p1.html
http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/827/827190/vids_1.html

No
doglaugh.gif
though. I hope the final version is a pack-in and does include a full remake of the game complete with the damn dog.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Beezy said:
And this is why you can't start a topic. A thread was already made about this last night.

woops, sry, search function is off, and i dont even have privledge to start a thread anyway ass.

neo2046 said:
posted?
http://itpro.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20060512/237702/?ST=newtech&P=4

in an interview Iwata mentions:
- the power consumption of Wii is around 50W, 5W during the "Wii Connect 24" mode
- Nintendo can transfer NDS games demo to your Wii through Wii Connect 24 function during the midnight,
and you can get the demo in the morning

and he is not willing to reveal the CPU's clock frequency,
he says the number is not significant to the consumers :lol
now we knwo the Wii power consumption is 50W we can speculate the maximium specs

ziran

some of the japanese wii games from famitsu:
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/708/708255p1.html
RELEASE IN 2006
Necro-Nesia (Spike, tentative name)

RELEASE IN 2007
JAWA (Spike, tentative name)
HERO'S (Spike, tentative name)

RELEASE DATE TBA
Elebits (Konami Digital Entertainment, tentative name)
Machi Kuru Domino (Success, tentative name)
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz (Sega, tentative name)
Swing Golf Panya (Tecmo, tentative name)
New RPG (Bandai Namco Games, tentative name)
New Action Game (Bandai Namco Games, tentative name)
Dragon Ball Z Sparking! NEO (Bandai Namco Games, tentative name)
Final Furlong (Bandai Namco Games, tentative name)
One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Bandai Namco Games)
does anyone know anything about this new rpg? a tales game maybe?

Emotions

Necro-Nesia seems quite interesting, i liked what i saw of the trailer.
If they show it at the E3 trailer that means they'll localize it, Same with that Disaster Day of Crisis game, i'm very interested in both.
They have announced way more exclusives that when the GC was shown and announced, so that's a very good start.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
neo2046 said:
and he is not willing to reveal the CPU's clock frequency,
he says the number is not significant to the consumers :lol
the consumers he is talking about is not us harcore forum-posting types. and he's right.

Emotions said:
Necro-Nesia seems quite interesting, i liked what i saw of the trailer.
If they show it at the E3 trailer that means they'll localize it, Same with that Disaster Day of Crisis game, i'm very interested in both.
They have announced way more exclusives that when the GC was shown and announced, so that's a very good start.

Disaster is being done by Monolith which is a western developer, so it's definitely coming.

dkeane

Does anyone know anything about that game "Open Season"?
I was just watching a trailer on gamespot. The graphics look pretty good and the gameplay looks hilarious. It's for Wii by the way.

Top Bottom