• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky VR is coming Summer 2019

iconmaster

Banned

PSVR and Steam VR

Free update, part of No Man's Sky Beyond

Please be excited.

Edit: This is not a separate VR mode. It's the whole game, in VR. Anything you can do in the main game you can do in VR.

I don't know how they intend to pull that off -- with story mode, base building, land vehicles, freighters and fleets, multiplayer, it seems actually impossible -- but that's what they're saying.

Last edited:
This is a killer app for me - another one. Beat Saber, Astrobot, and Skyrim VR are all amazeballs (as the kids like to say). This will be another one where I can show someone new to VR, and sit back and watch the jaws drop.

Wonko_C

NMS has never looked appealing to me and with all the negativity surrounding it I dismissed it completely, but now that's in VR I'm very interested. Going through space and visiting alien worlds is one of my biggest fantasies. The wording in that tweet is worrying, though. Does VR mode being "part" of the update mean that VR mode will not be for the full game but just for the update's content?

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

NMS has never looked appealing to me and with all the negativity surrounding it I dismissed it completely, but now that's in VR I'm very interested. Going through space and visiting alien worlds is one of my biggest fantasies. The wording in that tweet is worrying, though. Does VR mode being "part" of the update mean that VR mode will not be for the full game but just for the update's content?
Every game update adds stuff to the core experience. There are no separate features in the game. The entire game will be playable in VR.

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder what kind of crazy optimizations are coming in this next update to allow for a VR version on a base PS4 to be possible. There are times when you're flying back to your base and the game turns into a slideshow.

Makariel

aP07e.gif

Free update???

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

Tried going back to the game after the numerous updates, sadly I think the ship has sailed for me and probably many others who played it back in its launch period.

Romulus

Tried going back to the game after the numerous updates, sadly I think the ship has sailed for me and probably many others who played it back in its launch period.

The opposite for me. My friends and I didn't like it much at launch, but its probably one of our most played games now online after the updates. VR will further this.

iconmaster

Banned
I wonder what kind of crazy optimizations are coming in this next update to allow for a VR version on a base PS4 to be possible. There are times when you're flying back to your base and the game turns into a slideshow.

You’re not wrong. I’m very curious to see how Hello Games pulls this off. Converting the entire game as it now stands – story mode, base building, land vehicles, freighters and fleets, multiplayer – is incredibly ambitious.

Romulus

Is going to take huge hit on graphics to have a decent framerate in PS VR.

On pro I don't think it'll be bad. And honestly, as a console gamer I prefer the higher framerates over anything else. The psvr version will have the best fps on console at least.

scalman

Ohh psvr sure thats why quality should go. Wonder how much it will go to reach that for ps4.
On steam vr though it could be amazing looking in vr

badblue

I'm curious if this news of VR support means that they have further optimized the game for this new update.

TimFL

On pro I don't think it'll be bad. And honestly, as a console gamer I prefer the higher framerates over anything else. The psvr version will have the best fps on console at least.
The game runs like poo on Pro. That either means they threw all quality requirements for a VR title out of the window at Sony QA, Hello Games made a pact with the devil and increased performance tenfold or they downgraded the games graphics to hell and beyond to get a stable PSVR experience going.

Considering the game is heavily CPU bound, I go with Nr. 3 for the PSVR version. A good PC could probably bruteforce most of it, a decade old tablet CPU can‘t.

Romulus

The game runs like poo on Pro. That either means they threw all quality requirements for a VR title out of the window at Sony QA, Hello Games made a pact with the devil and increased performance tenfold or they downgraded the games graphics to hell and beyond to get a stable PSVR experience going.

Considering the game is heavily CPU bound, I go with Nr. 3 for the PSVR version. A good PC could probably bruteforce most of it, a decade old tablet CPU can‘t.

The psvr version will be locked 60fps, they will make whatever sacrifices they need to. Which is fine, It'd rather have it that way.

About fucking time.

The game feels a bit tiresome after a while, but with vr everything changes. I'll just zip through the systems as a space tourist. Can't wait.

Infinite universe + synthwave + VR.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
On the one hand, likely nausea.

On the other hand, probably worth it.

If I were to ever buy a PSVR for any game, this would be it.

(VR headsets still make you look dumb.)

I don't think I've ever felt nauseous with the PSVR. I've felt dizzy when rotating too fast (blink turning is the only comfort option I use) or falling from high ledges, and for the first week or so, after long periods of play, my tum tum would have a knot in it - but I wouldn't consider it nauseous because I was never anywhere near throwing up and it is no problem now. I could live in my PSVR for a week with the only problem being missing the toilet bowl when I pee.

Traianvs

What framerate does the base game run at?
I usually play on ps4 Pro because my PC is poopoo and the game fluctuate between 30 and 40something I'd say, a bit more on certain situations. You can lock the game at 30fps but I find it unresponsive this way.
I guess they'll downgrade a bit the graphics when you'll be playing in vr

Top Bottom