• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky VR is coming Summer 2019

Kadayi

Banned
giphy.gif
happy-dance-gif-9.gif
zqVBn9I.gif

Hinedorf

Banned
I've been pretty negative on No Man's Sky since the original shortcomings. To think from where it started to now embracing VR, credit these guys with being committed to their original vision and seeing it through.

They're getting my money for VR no question, well deserved.

I usually play on ps4 Pro because my PC is poopoo and the game fluctuate between 30 and 40something I'd say, a bit more on certain situations. You can lock the game at 30fps but I find it unresponsive this way.
I guess they'll downgrade a bit the graphics when you'll be playing in vr
I'm on a pro too, they will need to dump them a fair bit to get to 60fps on each eye.

zenspider

Yes it's free for all. Every update has been free for every copy.

Well that's just goddamn terrific!

I really enjoyed NMS at launch - it might be my personal best case for doing a media blackout.
It was the insane, prolific backlash that really turned me off to the experience. I was constantly running a defensive argument in my head for enjoying what it was, not what it wasn't, and it became un-fun.

Really looking forward to VR, even if it just brings me back to the game fresh.

Wow this previewer comes off as very impressed. This, along with the surprisingly positive Iron Man VR previews are great.

Oh man that looks phenomenal.

Like, exactly what it should have been.

I don't know if the vive controllers/touch controllers are better suited than a proper hotas, but it's damn impressive.

An infinite universe with real-life sized planets needs VR to fully come to life. Even with current headsets it's going to be amazing. 1:1 scale is the best feature of vr.

I need an omni-directional threadmill.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
A really wonderful article from GamesRadar: https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/no-ma...ty-game-i-have-waited-my-entire-life-to-play/

Murray informs me that a click of the button will let me move a little faster, but I hit the wrong one and rip into hyperspace – an explosion of colour that thrusts me back into my seat as a smile creeps across my face.

"No! you weren't supposed to click that," Murray laughs, "We're still optimising space travel!" I rip the throttle back and immediately lurch forward with the ship into uncharted territory, tearing at the joystick to help pull the ship around an incoming asteroid. For a second I take it all in, the endless sea of planets in front of me – an infinite arrangement of opportunities, all unknown – and in an instant I know: No Man's Sky is the VR game I have waited my entire life to play.

voidenberg

Entry-level VR isn't that expensive anymore.

PSVR can be had for real cheap during promos or used. Assuming one has a ps4.

Still more expensive than a single game, of course.

I do have a ps4 pro but i want to play on PC.
I'm not in the US. Did a quick search and around here the oculus rift costs something between 800 and a 1000 dollars. I could afford it. But that's too much for something i don't know if i'd use often.
I bought the nvidia 3d kit back in the day. It was cool but definitelly not worth it.

I do have a ps4 pro but i want to play on PC.
I'm not in the US. Did a quick search and around here the oculus rift costs something between 800 and a 1000 dollars. I could afford it. But that's too much for something i don't know if i'd use often.
I bought the nvidia 3d kit back in the day. It was cool but definitelly not worth it.

Well yes then, outside of main markets (us/eu), VR can get really expensive real quick.

But there's a big, big difference between VR and the 3d vision kit (which I still have), even moreso if we're accounting for its price: 150 us dollars + a compatible screen for such an underwhelming experience is daylight robbery, today.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AH MAN!!!! You can play in VR, with non VR players? That's actually the coolest feature I've seen for VR in a long time.

Handy Fake

Quick question...

When on the planet do you "walk" as you usually do in none VR, or is it going to use that point and click position skipping mechanic?
If it's the latter, how does that transfer to how other players see you moving?

Quick question...

When on the planet do you "walk" as you usually do in none VR, or is it going to use that point and click position skipping mechanic?

I guess you can do both. Teleporting will be the main locomotion system though. If it's like many other games, you'll just see other players literally teleporting around within range.

But since you can jump and thrust forward with jetpacks, it should be less of an issue. Available footage doesn't show locomotion in great detail.

Handy Fake

I guess you can do both. Teleporting will be the main locomotion system though. If it's like many other games, you'll just see other players literally teleporting around within range.

But since you can jump and thrust forward with jetpacks, it should be less of an issue. Available footage doesn't show locomotion in great detail.
Cheers chief.

Catphish

I can't imagine using teleportation in NMS. I just hope I can stomach regular locomotion.

Also, I hope this drops early summer, rather than late. I can't takes the wait!

mckmas8808

Quick question...

That's a great question. I think they said you can use a Dualshock 4 in PSVR at least.

mckmas8808

I'm glad it's not teleport-only. I can't stand teleportation in VR games. It just never felt right to me at all. I don't get any kind of motion sickness, though. I turn off all comfort settings as the first step in any VR game I play haha

Literally the first thing I do too! Turn off ALL comfort settings. If I throw up then it means I don't want to play that game. I don't want assist modes.

Gamernyc78

Banned
In my book after all these updates and VR implementation Hello games definitely will get a second chance from me when they release a different game. They have kept up with this through the debacle and I commend them at least for that.

Wonko_C

I still wonder how the poor standard PS4 will deal with the mandated steady 60fps in VR. I'm bracing for super blurry low resolution and turok-like draw distances. I know they have talked about heavily optimizing the engine but still...
aLkSlaX.jpg

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I don't think Skyrim VR looks poor but that was a last generation game, and I don't have a Pro. (really impressed with how beautiful some of the places I've been to look) A poor-looking game would be Arizona Sunshine, that one looks like a Dreamcast game, and not the good-looking dreamcast games, LOL.

Last edited:

scalman

just wonder would laptop with i7, GTX 1060 6GB and oculus rift would be enough to have good picture on this game VR?

Last edited:

Romulus

I don't think Skyrim VR looks poor but that was a last generation game, and I don't have a Pro. (really impressed with how beautiful some of the places I've been to look) A poor-looking game would be Arizona Sunshine, that one looks like a Dreamcast game, and not the good-looking dreamcast games, LOL.

And the only console version at 60fps too. For me on pro, it looks a bit better than 360 version but just far smoother.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

PSVR and Steam VR

Free update, part of No Man's Sky Beyond

Please be excited.

Edit: This is not a separate VR mode. It's the whole game, in VR. Anything you can do in the main game you can do in VR.

I don't know how they intend to pull that off -- with story mode, base building, land vehicles, freighters and fleets, multiplayer, it seems actually impossible -- but that's what they're saying.

More No man´s Sky??

0:18

Handy Fake

Looking forward to it.

I've been watching GamingMike streaming Everspace and if - if - Hello Games decide to do an NMSII for the next gen it does excite me for what kind of space combat and exploration could be possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom