• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9th

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of people are basing this on one day black Friday sales. Black Friday sales are down from last year. I don't see Xbox selling more than PS4. Not when PS4 continuously selling better on weekly bases.

We will see however..

What have the Amazon weekly charts looked like since Black Friday?

A lot of people are basing this on one day black Friday sales. Black Friday sales are down from last year. I don't see Xbox selling more than PS4. Not when PS4 continuously selling better on weekly bases.

We will see however..

and what is this based on, I hope it's not Amazon where it's been behind the first 3 weeks

Euron

I'm pretty much certain that the Xbox One outsold the PS4 last month but look at what it took to do so: A $170 price drop, two game bundle with a $50 gift card or an additional $50 worth of content at some locations. It's absolute insanity. Is it even profitable? Are they just taking a loss on each system then recouping from Live Subscriptions?

But at the same time, so much went wrong. Unity bombed. Their biggest system seller was broken and is still facing issues. Their best bundle was so limited it never even made it to November. I wonder how it'll affect sales going forward.

allan-bh

We will see however..

We already know that Xbox One outsold PS4 in the first 2 weeks of november.

x-Lundz-x

If PS4 won we will see massive meltdowns. Xbox One will be pronounced dead.

I think it depends on the numbers. I really don't think PS4 won either but I'm not ruling it out.

Let's say the PS4 does win, if the numbers are great for both consoles, like let's say 800-900k for each then I don't see how either side could be disappointed.

Now if PS4 wins and they are up by like 200K units then yeah MS would probably be like WTF, we can't do anything to outsell the PS4...

Then there would be meltdowns.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty much certain that the Xbox One outsold the PS4 last month but look at what it took to do so: A $170 price drop, two game bundle with a $50 gift card or an additional $50 worth of content at some locations. It's absolute insanity. Is it even profitable? Are they just taking a loss on each system then recouping from Live Subscriptions?

But at the same time, so much went wrong. Unity bombed. Their biggest system seller was broken and is still facing issues. Their best bundle was so limited it never even made it to November. I wonder how it'll affect sales going forward.

This is what I'm wondering too.

Guymelef

I think the only meltdowns would come if the X1 just destroys the PS4 by 300K units+ or something like that, which I just can't see happening.

Even though, that AC bundle is actually higher on the " best selling of 2014 " list for Amazon then the Destiny bundle. But of course, that was the only system being sold at the time whereas the destiny bundle was selling high right alongside the normal PS4 and the new white PS4 so yeh.

I expect big numbers for both systems really.

Either way, I await patiently

y/popcorn-gifs/very_interesting.gif[/img]

Didn't see that, that seems really good numbers.

TalonJH

Is it even possible that XB1 didn't win this month? I don't think it will be by as great a margin as I know some expect though.

Oooh, this is November NPD day! I think I might literally make popcorn when I get home and follow the thread, but mostly because I just want popcorn.

tumblr_m6t3qkMelV1raprzuo2_100.gif

TAd6T.gif

popcorn gifs ready!

Sez

Of course the xbox won. Black friday is to take advantage of good sales, and the xbox one was great, while the ps4 was mehh.

allan-bh

Is it even possible that XB1 didn't win this month? I don't think it will be by as great a margin as I know some expect though.

Abdiel who works on Best Buy said that in his district PS4 sold a little more than Xbox One in november.

He checked another district and Xbox One sold a little better, so who knows? Maybe PS4 won.

Xando

Abdiel who works on Best Buy said that in his district PS4 sold a little more than Xbox One in november.

He checked another district and Xbox One sold a little better, so who knows? Maybe PS4 won.

Would be great if they tied. NPD thread would probably be pretty small but atleast i don't have to search 50 sites for the important posts :D

Elandyll

Banned
What are the total sales for PS4 and XBO in the US as of the October NPD release?

As far as we know, in the US (NPD) it's

PS4: ≈2m (2013) + ≈2.8m (Jan-Oct 2014) ≈ 4.8m YTD
XB1: ≈1.8m (2013) + ≈1.8m (Jan-Oct 2014) ≈ 3.6m YTD

Euron

Yup, there are definitely two sides. If ps4 does win the meltdowns will be much crazier than it losing.
The PS4 winning would be a massive blow to MS. Even after all they did, if they aren't able to outsell the PS4, what are they going to do the rest of the gen?

But as much as I like competition, I'd much rather see PS4 take November. I mainly just want MS to be punished for forcing 343 to release the MCC in its terrible state. That would send a pretty decisive message to publishers that no matter what series your game is a part of, if it is broken at release, you will pay.

But Sony won't win and the MCC will definitely make the top ten so things will continue as usual.

The problem with what MS is doing is that they have cut the system so cheap they are operating at a loss with a very small likelihood that they ever could recover back to the 399 mark with no packaged games.
Yep. At this point I'm pretty sure even Nintendo had greater profits for the month of November.

Cyriades

The problem with what MS is doing is that they have cut the system so cheap they are operating at a loss with a very small likelihood that they ever could recover back to the 399 mark with no packaged games.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
The PS4 winning would be a massive blow to MS. Even after all they did, if they aren't able to outsell the PS4, what are they going to do the rest of the gen?

But as much as I like competition, I'd much rather see PS4 take November. I mainly just want MS to be punished for forcing 343 to release the MCC in its terrible state. That would send a pretty decisive message to publishers that no matter what series your game is a part of, if it is broken at release, you will pay.

Frankly, for the Xbox One to sell only slightly better or the same as the PS4 isn't good enough. It would mean that it took all of these price drops and bundles to just sell as much. What would it take to consistently sell more?

GhaleonEB

I just remember PR hitting early when it's an important month, like March was. Maybe I am remembering wrong.

MS has preempted NPD day many times this year, to get out ahead of bad news. But they didn't do that this time around, so we're probably looking at the normal PR release window.

TomShoe

Banned
Frankly, for the Xbox One to sell only slightly better or the same as the PS4 isn't good enough. It would mean that it took all of these price drops and bundles to just sell as much. What would it take to consistently sell more?

Sony fucking up massively, which probably isn't going to happen considering their messaging has been very good as of late. PSX is an example of that. As for cards, who knows what they have left, other than dropping the price or bundling in more games. Their next major system seller isn't until Halo 5 drops, and that's competing with Uncharted, Tomb Raider, and Call of Duty among others.

Elandyll

Banned
I remember someone posting an article about the existence of a " 1 day pre release" program from NPD, to allow their "big clients" some time for Press release and document production...

What's the chance to see an early PR announcement? :) (Say around 1pm PST, or 3pm EST)

Pesky rounding error is throwing you off a tad

Yeah I didn't want to be too specific in the numbers, so rounding "errors" accumulated :)

I'd much rather see PS4 take November. I mainly just want MS to be punished for forcing 343 to release the MCC in its terrible state. That would send a pretty decisive message to publishers that no matter what series your game is a part of, if it is broken at release, you will pay.

"Punished?" What the hell is this.

Driveclub says hi. So does Ubi. This comment is so weird.

The only first party consistently releasing functioning, quality titles consistently is Nintendo. Lot of good that's doing for them.

It still is 500$ here in Canada, 400 for the Kinectless one. All i want is a price drop for the kinect one and its a buy, but noo they don't want my money it seems.

MS would gladly take a loss on the console if that means they get an XB1 customer for the next 5/6 years. that same person has the potential to purchase XBL subs, games, movies, and lets not forget a big point, ad space

Top Bottom