• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9th

"Punished?" What the hell is this.

Driveclub says hi. So does Ubi. This comment is so weird.

The only first party consistently releasing functioning, quality titles consistently is Nintendo. Lot of good that's doing for them.

I think a good reason for this would be all the bullshit that they told people the E3 before the console released.
They were giving the middle finger to every single gamer. I think that played a big role.

Euron

"Punished?" What the hell is this.

Driveclub says hi. So does Ubi. This comment is so weird.

The only first party consistently releasing functioning, quality titles consistently is Nintendo. Lot of good that's doing for them.
Poor choice of words on my part. The original Halo Games are my favorite shooters of all time. I was ready to buy an Xbox One for them but MS released a broken mess instead.

It's not that they just released a broken game but it was supposed to be a reimagining of some of the greatest shooters ever made and a return to the multiplayer we haven't seen since Halo 3. It was the first true system seller this gen. Instead, because MS knew they needed something like it for the holiday season, the MCC was rushed and the franchise name was tarnished even more.

Guymelef

Points we'll probably see in MS PR today.
-XBO best selling console.
-XBOX family best selling.

We won't see.
-Hours played online with MCC.

allan-bh

Pachter didn't release any of that.

All he did was give his hardware predictions.

Some random, stupid site decided to make a stupid article about it, which got way too many damn replies on GAF and blew up.

Pachter didn't do anything different this month, except avoid stupid controversy.

But it was a incredible bad prediction. Can't believe Pachter did that because he is a well-informed guy.

Your feelings are way off.

This doesn't say what % have XB1 vs PS4 winning. I'm sure well over 50% have XB1 winning right now, but what you just posted doesn't prove that, FYI.

Those numbers could be true if 50% have XB1 winning and 50% have PS4 winning as a lot of the PS4 leading guesses only had PS4 up by 1k (or some very small amount).

But it was a incredible bad prediction. Can't believe Pachter did that because he is a well-informed guy.

He usually makes decent predictions...he was crazy with that one prediction, but does that really warrant a 1,000+ post thread saying "lol pachter" over and over?

He's just one random guy who likes to predict hardware numbers for fun...like a GAFfer. That's it.

Shame on news outlets for making news articles about random, off-the-cuff predictions.

Jburton

Banned
Thanks, Aqua. :)

Gap is gonna close.. wonder if the XBO can keep the momentum through next year

I doubt it, x1 sales have slowed and even if MS win Nov the gap won't be that large, a very small shift in the gap this month that could be back to the same when Sony win Dec.

Bluenoser

He usually makes decent predictions...he was crazy with that one prediction, but does that really warrant a 1,000+ post thread saying "lol pachter" over and over?

He's just one random guy who likes to predict hardware numbers for fun...like a GAFfer. That's it.

Shame on news outlets for making news articles about random, off-the-cuff predictions.

“We expect Xbox One sales to exceed those of the PS4 for only the second month since launch,” … “From Sept. 7 through [Sept.] 13, Microsoft offered a free game with the purchase of a new Xbox One at participating retailers,”

Sounds more like he was making this statement on behalf of Wedbush Morgan, not his own personal opinion. Otherwise, why use "we"? But I'm sure this horse has been beaten to death in the other thread.

Although I didn't participate, I am excited to see this month's results. I know both systems will do incredible, and a small part of me holds out hope that one of the systems will do better than the Wii did it's first year.

Heck.... Maybe even both systems ;)

I also would love to see the Wii U do better than it did last year. Those sales were embarassing.

Bgamer90

Banned
I doubt it, x1 sales have slowed and even if MS win Nov the gap won't be that large, a very small shift in the gap this month that could be back to the same when Sony win Dec.

Said it earlier; I feel for more confident as of right now in saying that the Xbox One will take December in comparison to it winning November. What makes you think Sony will get December NPD as of right now?

“We expect Xbox One sales to exceed those of the PS4 for only the second month since launch,” … “From Sept. 7 through [Sept.] 13, Microsoft offered a free game with the purchase of a new Xbox One at participating retailers,”

Sounds more like he was making this statement on behalf of Wedbush Morgan, not his own personal opinion. Otherwise, why use "we"? But I'm sure this horse has been beaten to death in the other thread.

It's a formality.

Pachter's job is to release investment updates to clients where he evaluates whether or not companies are good buys or not.

He does this with a ton of companies and he's always really busy.

On a rare off-day where he can have some fun, he predicts a few hardware sales and tells clients about it.

Website will make articles about anything to get clicks. Shack News made fools of themselves just last week when they "confirmed" that David Jaffe was making a new God of War. As we all know, that was one tweet of a multiple length tweet in which Jaffe (in a trolling way, of course) said that a God of War themed ice sculpture was being made. Sure, the first tweet obviously made it sound like he was making a new GOW, but jeez, that kind of jumping the gun is forum stuff. It was not article worthy, especially since they did not follow up with Jaffe, or you know, did some further research.

Jburton

Banned
Said it earlier; I feel for more confident as of right now in saying that the Xbox One will take December in comparison to it winning November. What makes you think Sony will get December NPD as of right now?

Just from the bundles Sony has been putting out there, some anecdotes of from retail and Amazon placements have indicated X1 sales have settled back down again after the initial burst with the offers, MCC etc.

Sony has the momentum, MS have had to sacrifice any chance of profitability by throwing everything but the kitchen sink in with an X1 to sell it, the only way they could try and counteract the momentum PS4 has, I expect the PS4 to still be selling more than X1 after what will be an anomalous month.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Really - why?

The offer on the table for xbox hasn't changed, and there was likely pent up demand for November after MS announced. Sony didn't move until Black Friday so didn't aggressively defend November. But they do seem to be much more active for december

To me that makes it much less likely that MS will take December - vs November. They could well take both months but I'd expect a smaller delta for December if they do

Just from the bundles Sony has been putting out there, some anecdotes of from retail and Amazon placements have indicated X1 sales have settled back down again after the initial burst with the offers, MCC etc.

Sony has the momentum, MS have had to sacrifice any chance of profitability by throwing everything but the kitchen sink in with an X1 to sell it, the only way they could try and counteract the momentum PS4 has, I expect the PS4 to still be selling more than X1 after what will be an anomalous month.

Indeed. Never mind what the first half of 2015 looks like. The PS4 is stacked, while things look all quiet on the X1 front.

vpance

Usually Microsoft has damage control PR up before actual numbers are revealed.

I think they don't need to this month.

There is a chance though, that they're completely shook to the core by a loss and have absolutely nothing to say. A small chance, but it's there.

allan-bh

Is not the case on Amazon when Xbox One AC bundle remains ahead of PS4 and more comfortably than was in november

PhatSaqs

Banned
In not so sure about this. That Ass creed bundle has been in the top ten hourly on Amazon for all of Dec. Its also the top seller so far for Dec. PS4 has only been as high as 22 so far in hourlys.

SDCowboy

Is not the case on Amazon when Xbox One AC bundle remains ahead of PS4 and more comfortably than was in november

Yeah the PS4 seems to have completely fallen off a cliff on Amazon. It's bizarre. Like I've said before, the Xbone bundle is so cheap right now that I think it may have not only increased its own sales but has heavily eaten into the PS4's.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Ms had other bundles in the charts compared to now, so that AC bundle is having to do a lot more heavy lifting than it did in November

Floridian

Literally if ps4 still ends up winning november.

nuke-o.gif

Bgamer90

Banned
Ms had other bundles in the charts compared to now, so that AC bundle is having to do a lot more heavy lifting than it did in November

True, but at the same time it paints a clearer picture of how the system is doing. We don't have to wonder about the sales of other SKUs. It's similar to a few months ago when there was only one PS4 SKU but multiple Xbox One SKUs; there being fewer Xbox One SKUs now is causing people to get the AC Unity bundle.

CozMick

Banned
Will we be getting numbers this month?

A Microsoft/Sony win means nothing when its only a few units that we'll never know about :(

Also the effect of the Playstation Experience. Tons of positive buzz and news generates excitement for PS4 before Christmas.

Then you look at the stacked new year for PS4.

Jomjom

Banned
there will be meltdowns either way

I think if Xbox One beats PS4 in November there aren't really going to be any meltdowns. Outside of a very few number of naysayers (not going to say they are being disingenuous, but yeah they're being disingenuous) everyone knows the Xbox One is going to win the month.

Top Bottom