• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

Jigsaw

Banned
Megadragon15 said:
No one knows which version of Mortal Kombat sold more (unless they subscribed to NPD and even then those people can't talk.)

i thought the platform order shows which sku sold more,on portal its 360,ps3,on mortal kombat its ps3,360

GCX

I think E3 will tell a lot about 3DS's future. It needs compelling software.

DS wasn't runaway success either and it took over 9 months to get over the initial software drought. It wasn't until stuff like Nintendogs and Advance Wars DS that finally got the hardware numbers on the rise in the US. That was almost a year after the console's release.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
BlazingDarkness said:
No but 3DS is sold almost entirely around it's 3D experience and if that selling point is falling short, or if people are simply not interested it, then that is an issue

NGP is being touted as console gaming on the go. Revolutionary? No. But it looks to be delivering exactly as promised.

Yet to put it another way, in the end the 3DS and the NGP will pretty much be in the same boat: each one's core features work well for traditional gaming on the go. So as usual it'll come down to software.

The NGP will have Dat Graphics, though despite weird launch-day backlash the 3DS visually is no slouch and is more powerful than the PSP.

Yet an odd thing is, call me crazy for even thinking of this, the PSP was touted primarily as "console gaming on the go" and great emphasis was placed on putting PS2-equivalent titles on the PSP. GTA, Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, and many more. The NDS, meanwhile, was stuck with Dat PS1 Craphics, and was doomed to fail.

So I guess as usual, if Nintendo finds a software niche for the 3DS that takes off, we have seen before where this leads.

I don't even want to see the suicides if Sony announces NGP with a retail price above $300 at E3. Because then the same situation is going to be set up - slow NGP adoption due to high initial price, giving Nintendo a window to hit their software groove and always stay a price cut ahead.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Somnid said:
Or it's the PSP argument all over again which happened to be one of the system's biggest software weaknesses, people actually wanted to play more portable games with more bite-sized experiences.
Alternatively, the PSP's weakness was that it wasn't capable of replicating the console experience in the portable space due to hardware limitations and the missing buttons/analogue stick.
_Alkaline_ said:
Agreed man. Game consoles almost always have compelling software at launch.
You're trying to be sarcastic, but there are more good major console/handheld launches than bad ones. The 3DS launch lineup is just as bad if not worse than the notorious launch of its predecessor. The lack of a killer app for the 3DS is simply inexcusable.

Kaijima said:
Yet to put it another way, in the end the 3DS and the NGP will pretty much be in the same boat: each one's core features work well for traditional gaming on the go. So as usual it'll come down to software.

The NGP will have Dat Graphics, though despite weird launch-day backlash the 3DS visually is no slouch and is more powerful than the PSP.

Yet an odd thing is, call me crazy for even thinking of this, the PSP was touted primarily as "console gaming on the go" and great emphasis was placed on putting PS2-equivalent titles on the PSP. GTA, Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, and many more. The NDS, meanwhile, was stuck with Dat PS1 Craphics, and was doomed to fail.

So I guess as usual, if Nintendo finds a software niche for the 3DS that takes off, we have seen before where this leads.

I don't even want to see the suicides if Sony announces NGP with a retail price above $300 at E3. Because then the same situation is going to be set up - slow NGP adoption due to high initial price, giving Nintendo a window to hit their software groove and always stay a price cut ahead.

Aye, it's just all down to how Nintendo can bolster consumer interest in the whole 3D thing, they've done a fairly poor job of marketing the 3DS as a new handheld as a whole, and failed to deliver any compelling launch software to sell the 3D experience at the price they are asking.

AbsoluteZero said:
Pretty sure we saw a handful of PS2/PSP crossports. First one that comes to mind is Ghostbusters. And don't forget games like the two God of War titles, which come damn close to looking nearly identical to the PS2 games.
A lot of factors had those titles down as 'gimped' or 'should be on console', due to lacking visual fidelity or lack of dual sticks etc, those issues are being addressed this time, plus NGP offers a variety of other input methods and gameplay quirks

onken

Ericsc said:
But none of those could play the actual console cartridges / discs

the NEC turbo express and Sega Nomad could

http://i.imgur.com/Ir48J.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

lol at the Low Battery light. Indeed.

rpmurphy

BlazingDarkness said:
No but 3DS is sold almost entirely around it's 3D experience and if that selling point is falling short, or if people are simply not interested it, then that is an issue

NGP is being touted as console gaming on the go. Revolutionary? No. But it looks to be delivering exactly as promised.
At the end of the day, what counts is delivering on games, games that people want to buy. Everything else will be unimportant gimmicks by comparison. 3DS and especially NGP (since it's not released) has yet to deliver on that to be a successful video game handheld for the long-term because there's simply not enough compelling games released. And that can easily turn around in a matter of a half a year, just even looking at the history of the DS and PSP.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Somnid said:
Or it's the PSP argument all over again which happened to be one of the system's biggest software weaknesses, people actually wanted to play more portable games with more bite-sized experiences.
Yeah but this time, they seem to be allowing for and providing for both.

I'm prepared for lols at the pricing, though.

watershed

Banned
julls said:
Yeah but this time, they seem to be allowing for and providing for both.

When sony says this though, I react the same as I do when Nintendo says they are gonna get serious about 3rd party support and online gaming.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
artwalknoon said:
When sony says this though, I react the same as I do when Nintendo says they are gonna get serious about 3rd party support and online gaming.
True - I guess both should be approached with a healthy dose of skepticism :p

okenny

Banned
For being new hardware, both Kinect Sports and Dance Central are showing promise for First and Third party titles. I can't say how much time Kinect has given the twilight of this generation is approaching but I honestly believe that developers who can focus on making dedicated experiences that really cater to the Kinect audience have a chance of making a healthy profit.

I can't wait to see what The Gunstringer and Child of Eden will do. They can hopefully prove the viability of Kinect titles in the download place and that perhaps some gaming experiences are superior in this format.

EDIT: MS published Dance Central so that would make it... second party? :/

okenny

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
But Microsoft published both of them?

Oh God! You're right! This isn't the first time I've made this mistake too. I keep thinking EA published Dance Central. Oii :S

Calcaneus

Man MK games always sold okay but DAMN!

I think this absolutely shows that unlike other series, MK's lean years were entirely brought on by themselves. People always wanted to love MK, but we kept getting shitty ass games. They were slowly killing one of the biggest names in gaming. Now that they actually put out something great, its a beast.

Same thing will happen with Sonic if they get their shit together.

mujun

LiquidMetal14 said:
The price advantage has been very important this gen.

So you think that the price advantage of the 360 is the sole reason it is soundly beating the PS3 in the U.S?

Gowans

GO MK9, awesome game, Deserved.

Hopefully this indicates what people want from MK and they can keep it up. Must be the best selling MK for ages.

Zen

Banned
Deadly Alliance posted similar numbers in its debut month, but that was during November.

Calcaneus said:
Man MK games always sold okay but DAMN!

I think this absolutely shows that unlike other series, MK's lean years were entirely brought on by themselves. People always wanted to love MK, but we kept getting shitty ass games. They were slowly killing one of the biggest names in gaming. Now that they actually put out something great, its a beast.

Same thing will happen with Sonic if they get their shit together.

MK has always been on a boom bust cycle, people will get sick of it again after a few games and it will go dormant until it come back again 5 years after that and does big numbers. That's not to say that the games have no merit, but people have always wanted to like MK, and that why the franchise is able to come back from oblivion every few years.

fernoca

Zen said:
Deadly Alliance posted similar numbers in its debut month, but that was during November.
It didn't. :p
Deadly Alliance was at 1 million "worldwide" as announced January 2003, not in the first month [November 2002]. ;) ("worldwide" because the game wasn't out in Europe by that moment)

January 13, 2003:
Midway Games has today announced that Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance sold more than a million copies across all four platforms before the end of 2002.

"We are thrilled the gaming community fully embraced the latest edition of the Mortal Kombat franchise," said Helene Sheeler, vice president of marketing, Midway. "Mortal Kombat titles have always been top sellers in the fighting game genre and the successful sales of Deadly Alliance reinforce that Midway is giving gamers exactly what they want."

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance is a 3D fighter that features a large number of classic characters from previous games in the series, as well as a handful of all-new fighters. The game features a few different gameplay modes and well over 600 bonuses that can be unlocked, including everything from new stages and characters to concept art and photos of arcade machines.

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance was released in North America on November 22 of last year, and it is scheduled for release in Europe in February.

This new one did over 1 million, in 2 consoles, in the US and in 11 days.

Zen said:
MK has always been on a boom bust cycle, people will get sick of it again after a few games and it will go dormant until it come back again 5 years after that and does big numbers. That's not to say that the games have no merit, but people have always wanted to like MK, and that why the franchise is able to come back from oblivion every few years.
Well, there's no doubt that the franchise is at a high point right now (in both quality and sales); but even through the "dormant years", it sold millions with no problems. MK vs DC Universe "only" sold over 2.5 million worldwide and Shaolin Monks did over a million also "last gen", and that was during a time when they release MK games to some extent every year. :p

Serves NOA right, thats what you get for not releasing Xenoblade
LLShC.gif

Xilium

Somnid said:
That's not necessarily true. A lot of the best selling games on both the PSP and DS were either handheld versions of console games (i.e Gran Turismo/Mario Kart DS) or RPGs (i.e Monster Hunter/Pokemon).

The DS does have a number of puzzle games thrown in there but I really don't think the majority of people using handhelds want iOS style games.

Edit: Even now, everyone is waiting on Zelda:OOT in order to justify/buy a 3DS.

Verendus

Banned
When are the big 3DS games coming?

Also... FATALITY!! MUWHAHAHA!!

mujun said:
So you think that the price advantage of the 360 is the sole reason it is soundly beating the PS3 in the U.S?
I would have to agree with him. It's a reasonable stance. Looking at the history of sales in the US, I don't think it's realistic believing 360 would be leading in millions in the US if the price was the same and PS3 released at the same time. You're basically handicapping the 360 in that scenario and giving PS3 a massive advantage.

It's amazing how shunned the PS3 in the US is.

- exclusive character: doesn't matter [MK]
- exclusive stage: doesn't matter [MK]
- free PC game with PS3 version: doesn't fucking matter [Portal 2]

All that superfluos crap added to PS3 versions of multiplatform games doesn't make a bit of difference in the US. People still buy 360 versions!

Sony is done for this gen. Maybe they will have better luck with PS4.

mujun

Kam said:
I would have to agree with him. It's a reasonable stance. Looking at the history of sales in the US, I don't think it's realistic believing 360 would be leading in millions in the US if the price was the same and PS3 released at the same time. You're basically handicapping the 360 in that scenario and giving PS3 a massive advantage.

To say it is the sole reason doesn't seem reasonable to me. Sure, the PS3 is a much better package now, even being more expensive but that wasn't the case for the whole 5+ years.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
All that superfluos crap added to PS3 versions of multiplatform games doesn't make a bit of difference in the US. People still buy 360 versions!
Is Sony throwing money down the toilet by buying this exclusive content, or do you think if they didn't do this the sales split would be noticeably worse? Are they getting their money's worth?

[Nintex]

How about Nintendo actually releases some games, they haven't released anything of note since Donkey Kong Country: Returns and their software drought now spans 3 systems.

le.phat said:
In what sense ? In not being the number one console in the US ?

Any way you slice it they have lost an incredible amount of marketshare in every territory and spent themselves into a big hole.

test_account

XP-39C²

Sony is done for this gen. Maybe they will have better luck with PS4.
The Xbox 360 userbase in the US is much larger compared to the PS3 userbase, so that is why the Xbox 360 version of games usually sell better. I know what you're saying though, but i think the size of the userbase matters more compared to having some smaller exclusive content in one version (althought getting the PC version for free in Portal 2 is kinda big in my opinion).

Sometimes the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version of a game can sell quite equal number as well, even if the Xbox 360 userbase is much bigger. So maybe in some cases it can help to have exclusive content :)

Saty

By the way people explain the Portal 2 split i learn that customers don't even bother to compare between versions and just go by their past experience, no matter how long ago it was? Kind of despairing.

Homefront and DA2 are quickly outside of the Top 10.

Can we call Crysis' NPD performance 'lackluster' the very least? 236K this month and i don't how good its March debut was with its #7 spot. It strikes me way below par.

suaveric said:
Do you honestly believe that a bunch of jRPGs are going to turn the Wii's fortunes around? That's not what got the Wii to the top of the heap in the first place, I don't see how releasing those games now will stop the bleeding.

Jrpg's? I wasn't even referring to Xenoblade and The Last Story. The Wii has many titles not avaliable in the USA. Sure they wouldn't be blockbusters, but enough to stir some peoples interests or at least their hungry fanbase.

Turn their fortunes around? Of course not. Aid some of the bleeding? Definitely.

That shouldn't be very surprising, and as you said yourself, it's mostly "superfluous crap". Also, it's not US-specific, it's just that PS3 is not as popular there as it is in continental Europe and Japan.

That said, there's a disturbing trend of including meaningful chunks of content and even whole free games with versions of games for certain platforms, usually PS3. That practice is just bullshit and it needs to die in a fire.

Atomski

[Nintex] said:
How about Nintendo actually releases some games, they haven't released anything of note since Donkey Kong Country: Returns and their software drought now spans 3 systems.
Honestly at this point I'd imagine all their game development has shifted to Cafe and 3DS. Wii sales at this point probably mean nothing.. they have announced a new system and will be showing it off soon which means the Wii is pretty much a dead man walking.

Verendus

Banned
mujun said:
To say it is the sole reason doesn't seem reasonable to me. Sure, the PS3 is a much better package now, even being more expensive but that wasn't the case for the whole 5+ years.
Well, I'd say it's the main reason along with the late launch. Everything else stems from those two initial issues. MS did a lot of things right, but it was combined with Sony doing a lot of things wrong that led to this point. Eliminating the two main disadvantages Sony had at the beginning of the generation means putting MS at a bigger disadvantage. That's unfair to MS because you're basically stopping Sony from doing any damage to its brand like it has done this generation. No $600 dollars, no "go get two jobs" and potentially no loss of certain exclusives.

What if scenarios don't really matter anyway. MS has increased market share and perception of its brand which is basically a huge benefit for them. While Sony can still bounce back in the next generation (I actually think PS4 or Wii 2 will take the next generation if they don't make any big blunders), MS will go in much stronger than it did in the last generation.

Consumers should ideally want a sort of back and forth scenario to continue happening. This way, we stand to benefit.

[Nintex]

MS has the third party support locked if they somehow manage to not fuck up their new first party studios both Sony and Nintendo will be in big trouble next gen.

timetokill said:
It's hard to tell, but...
There is literally no reason to buy a PS3 until E3 occurs and you find out. Then you'll know.
PS3 price drop in US is pretty certain after the Gamestop $100 off a new PS3 coupon.

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Has any other generation seen such a reversal for fortunes so late in the game? The Wii has gone from complete domination to a very solid last place. I know they will still sell the most in the US for the generation but this is unprecedented.
Since we're talking about the US, Genesis vs SNES was a complete reversal of fortune.

a Master Ninja said:
Is Sony throwing money down the toilet by buying this exclusive content, or do you think if they didn't do this the sales split would be noticeably worse? Are they getting their money's worth?

Nobody knows that except Sony's Accounting and Marketing divisions.

Maybe it makes big difference? Maybe it moves the numbers from 300k to 400k (33% increase)? Still it is not enough to outsell the actually worse (less content) 360 SKU.

And probably approaching devs and asking for some minor exclusive content doesn't cost them that much otherwise they would stop it.

EDIT: I didn't notice you made a thread once about this particular topic. Yes it's an interesting case. Wonder why MS doesn't copy it?

TheOddOne

EDIT: I didn't notice you made a thread once about this particular topic. Yes it's an interesting case. Wonder why MS doesn't copy it?
They have done this in the past though, but now the focus doesn't seem to much on it. The only thing the signed recently was the COD mappacks timed-exclusive for every version till 2012.

Gomu Gomu

EviLore said:
01. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360)** Warner Bros. Interactive - 1+ Million With Special Editions (Much Higher Debut Than Both Street Fighter IV and MvC 3)

c3pPk.jpg

So happy for MK. Congrats to the development team for pulling off such a fantastic fighting game. This has been the first MK game I bought since the very first game on the SNES :lol . Totally deserves the sales.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
<looks at that MK result, feeling a bit vindicated>

Told you doubters it would debut and sell much more than MvC3 or SSF4. =)

Top Bottom