• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

Log4Girlz

Nintendo hasn't been in this much trouble since the first DS...and they never recovered from that.

But seriously. I wouldn't buy a 3DS right now, just no games.

Prine

Banned
- Wii reaching saturation point. No one left to sell it to.

- Apple absorbing the Nintendogs, Brain Triaining crowd. Handheld gaming moving away from Nintendo

- MS keep getting stronger

- Rare saying "suck deez nuts" to haters. Now commercially successful. 3m + for Kinect Sports wow!

Kintaro said:
<looks at that MK result, feeling a bit vindicated>

Told you doubters it would debut and sell much more than MvC3 or SSF4. =)

Not a lot of people doubted you. But you were one that stated that fighting games sell based on the quality of their netplay.

Clearly that is not the case. =P

[Nintex] said:
MS has the third party support locked if they somehow manage to not fuck up their new first party studios both Sony and Nintendo will be in big trouble next gen.
Sony had third party support locked last gen - to an even greater extent with third party exclusives coming out of their eyeballs. Each generation basically resets things to zero, hence why I think MS were more keen to 'expand' 360 with Kinect rather than releasing it with a new console.

Prine said:
-Wii reaching saturation point. No one left to sell it to.- Apple absorbing the Nintendogs, Brain Triaining crowd. Handheld gaming moving away from Nintendo

- MS keep getting stronger

- Rare saying "suck deez nuts" to haters. Now commercially successful. 3m + for Kinect Sports wow!

yeah not buying that argument. Less than 10% of Americans own a Wii, there are definitely available consumers but the popularity of the Wii has finally worn off after all these years.

Can't believe Nintendo isn't even sending a press release this month. Things haven't been this bad at Nintendo since 2005

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DryEyeRelief said:
Not a lot of people doubted you. But you were one that stated that fighting games sell based on the quality of their netplay.

Clearly that is not the case. =P

Well, that was clearly not the case after MvC3 =/

Hammer24

Banned
Congrats to Rare, for finally hitting it out of the ballpark with KS, well deserved!

As for the 3DS, I think made an strategical error, not positioning the 3DS as the successor to the DS marketing wise.
From a customer perception persepctive, the 3DS is just another iteration in the DS phat -> DS slim -> DSI -> DSXL evolution.
The only way to change this perception, is with a very good software title, that works as an "eye opener".

herod

smurfx said:
You can always just ignore his posts you know instead of of asking him to stop giving his opinion.
It's a shame the board software doesn't allow you to ignore mods properly.

Amir0x

Banned
Note to users: Discuss points being made not the person making them. Thanks!

Coolio McAwesome said:
I, for one, find it much easier to judge distances in Pilotwings with the 3D turned on. Based on this observation, I think 3D can add a lot to any games that requires players to judge distances. Platformers, for example, could greatly benefit from 3D. Have you ever missed a jump in a platformer because you misjudged how far away it was? 3D clearly makes it easier to judge distances and, therefore, I think the assertion that it's completely "useless for gameplay" is a little shortsighted.

Not even once in my life have I had trouble judging any distances in any racing game, flying game or platformer. As I've said in past such debates, this benefit is for "special" gamers so I am "sad" to say I am not part of the club of "special" gamers who require a distance judging aid. Guess I'm just not so "fortunate" or something. According to Pimpbaa we've all had to suffer the damaging influence of shadows on our characters to be able to judge the gap so now we can have our shadow-free characters in 3D gaming once and for all. It's just "sad" I won't be a member of the jubilant group of gamers who will be able to tell the difference. My non-existent distance-judging problems has always been a bane to my gaming career. WHEN will it stop torturing me so!?

Game Guru said:
Well, I believe it might be the use of motion blur that makes the 3D look fake to me. When I say fake, I, of course, mean compared to real life. I'm sorry that it is not more detailed, and I don't claim that this in particular is a huge problem, especially compared to headaches and having to fiddle with positioning. It's merely my own experience with 3D.

You mean how quickly it loses its sweet spot? I dunno what you mean still but to each his/her own :p

Thunder Monkey said:
Psst!

Nintendo!

Your platforms are looking kind of unhealthy.

Might want to do something about that.

They are. By releasing a new platform!

perfectchaos007 said:
Can't believe Nintendo isn't even sending a press release this month. Things haven't been this bad at Nintendo since 2005
They're busy scouring old Sony press releases for ideas. 'It's been a great month for the Nintendo family'

M_A_C

herod said:
It's a shame the board software doesn't allow you to ignore mods properly.

Yeah I just noticed that...

I love the 3DS and think it has a ton of potential so I do get all the hate unless it's simply the price. I'm sure it will dominate once the Nintendo proper games start coming out.

Graphics Horse said:
They're busy scouring old Sony press releases for ideas. 'It's been a great month for the Nintendo family'

I don't even think the Nintendo family looks good. The DS was the best selling Nintendo console and it didn't sell more than the 360

test_account

XP-39C²
perfectchaos007 said:
yeah not buying that argument. Less than 10% of Americans own a Wii, there are definitely available consumers but the popularity of the Wii has finally worn off after all these years.

I think that it is more than 10% in America that owns a Wii, because it is usually one console per household. If the Wii has sold 30 million units in the US, then maybe something like 70-100 million (i would guess) have access to it since there are often more than one person per household. But that said, i do agree that the Wii has a chance to sell more units =)

Amir0x said:
Not even once in my life have I had trouble judging any distances in any racing game, flying game or platformer. As I've said in past such debates, this benefit is for "special" gamers so I am "sad" to say I am not part of the club of "special" gamers who require a distance judging aid. Guess I'm just not so "fortunate" or something. According to Pimpbaa we've all had to suffer the damaging influence of shadows on our characters to be able to judge the gap so now we can have our shadow-free characters in 3D gaming once and for all. It's just "sad" I won't be a member of the jubilant group of gamers who will be able to tell the difference. My non-existent distance-judging problems has always been a bane to my gaming career. WHEN will it stop torturing me so!?

You've never misjudged the distance of a jump in a 3D platformer? If that's the case, then I suppose you've never swam up to an coin in an underwater section and missed it completely either. You've probably never missed an item box or ran into an obstacle in Mario Kart. You've probably never failed to fly through a ring in Pilotwings 64. I'm sure you've never accidentally ran into something in StarFox or failed to dodge a projectile attack in Sin and Punishment because you didn't realize how close it was.

I guess I'll take you at your word. If you are telling me that you've never once misjudged your positioning in a game, then who am I to say any different? That being said, I would still argue that the vast majority of gamers do occasionally misjudge their positioning in games. For anyone who has ever accidentally missed an item box in Mario Kart, 3D most certainly can be beneficial from a gameplay standpoint.

Gomu Gomu

Prine said:
- Apple absorbing the Nintendogs, Brain Triaining crowd. Handheld gaming moving away from Nintendo

uhh. I don't think that's the reason 3DS isn't selling. Lack of Software appears to be the major reason.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Gomu Gomu said:
uhh. I don't think that's the reason 3DS isn't selling. Lack of Software appears to be the major reason.

It's not a lack of software just a lack of killer software. People aren't willing to pay $250 for a machine that doesn't play a Mario/Wii Spors calibre title. Had they launched with Mario Kart, which I'm sure they would have done had they not decided to rush to market, the thing would be selling through the roof. Now they are in danger of repeating the GameCube situation, retailers in the UK are already slashing the price, they need to get AAA games out quickly, not N64 pseudo-remakes.

BroHuffman said:
But who does the modern day Apple/smartphone represent...

Tiger_Electronics-logo-83C6A78670-seeklogo.com.gif

Gomu Gomu

Ushojax said:
It's not a lack of software just a lack of killer software. People aren't willing to pay $250 for a machine that doesn't play a Mario/Wii Spors calibre title. Had they launched with Mario Kart, which I'm sure they would have done had they not decided to rush to market, the thing would be selling through the roof. Now they are in danger of repeating the GameCube situation, retailers in the UK are already slashing the price, they need to get AAA games out quickly, not N64 pseudo-remakes.
Yeah, that's what I meant actually. IIRC the DS was in the same situation in it's first year or so.

Prine said:
- Wii reaching saturation point. No one left to sell it to.

This is pretty accurate. The Wii reached saturation much faster than Nintendo anticipated.

Check out this article from May of 2007:

The Wii's impressive start has made Nintendo confident--cocky, even--about the console's long-term viability. Today in an interview with the Bloomberg news service, Nintendo of America senior vice president of marketing George Harrison predicted that there would be an installed base of 35 million Wiis in the US by 2012. For comparison purposes, the PlayStation 2 has sold 38.5 million units in the US since its release in October 2000.

Four years ago, the notion that the Wii would reach 35 million by 2012 was considered "cocky." The reality is that Nintendo could sell 0 Wiis for the next year and they would still be ahead of where the PS2 (the best selling console of all time) was at that point in its lifecycle. It was only a matter of time before Wii would reach saturation.

There is most certainly a software drought on the Wii right now and I don't think Nintendo has released a game since DKC Returns, but I don't think that's the problem. It's true that software drives hardware to a certain extent, but—given the Wii's market saturation—I think the only thing that could spike sales for the console is a significant price drop. Nearly half of the PS2's sales came after it hit $150.

jvm

Gamasutra.
bigtroyjon said:
When retailers give away stuff with the console like a gift card the ASP will be artificially inflated. Bought a Kinect360 for someone at bestbuy and according to the receipt I paid 300 dollars but in my eyes I really only paid 250 because I know i will spend 50 dollars there in the future. I assume NPD would see the purchase price as 300 since the gift card is really just something bundled into the package.
I think that was precisely my point. NPD counts the ASP by taking that gift card into account. I don't know how, because that's not something they discuss, but they do give those kinds of deals consideration.

MYE

The 3DS and the NGP can join hands, drop off a building and die a horrible death as far as i'm concerned.

Always had handhelds and now i find myself disapointed with the convoluted, unnecessary shit these systems make me put up with. And the battery life on these consoles...

Its not a coincidence i bought a Gameboy pocket this week with a bunch of old games, and sold my PSP just yesterday for 80€.

To me, "real" portable gaming died with the Gameboy brand

500px-Wikipedia_gameboygroup.jpg

*salutes*

MYE said:
The 3DS and the NGP can join hands, drop off a building and die a horrible death as far as i'm concerned.

Always had handhelds and now i find myself disapointed with the convoluted, unnecessary shit these systems make me put up with. And the battery life on these consoles...

Its not a coincidence i bought a Gameboy this week with a bunch of old games, and sold my PSP just yesterday for 80€.

*salutes*

Gameboy pocket looks slick as fuck... I think I like that even more than the Micro

MYE

radioheadrule83 said:
Gameboy pocket looks slick as fuck... I think I like that even more than the Micro
Yeah
Bought one just like this

gbp_2.jpg

Best looking handheld ever made. With the GB micro in a very close 2nd place.

jvm said:
I think that was precisely my point. NPD counts the ASP by taking that gift card into account. I don't know how, because that's not something they discuss, but they do give those kinds of deals consideration.

Misread what you were saying, thought you meant the bundle messed up the ASP because it all counted.

On another note, have you ever heard anything about the ordering of consoles in the chart?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
MYE said:

*salutes*
First gen GBA was an horrible console though, thanks to the non-backlight screen. Terrible terrible screen, to this day I refuse to buy a Nintendo handheld because of that piece of trash (not that I plan on buying a handheld console from anyone else mind you).

jcm

perfectchaos007 said:

Do we still think Sony is the one who asked NPD to stop releasing numbers?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
MYE said:

Its not a coincidence i bought a Gameboy pocket this week with a bunch of old games, and sold my PSP just yesterday for 80€.

*salutes*
Um, the DSL lasts like 7-9 hours on the brightest setting with no wifi (although some battery hogs like elite beat agents might be 6-6.5ish.), 5 -7 hours with wifi.

Lowest brightness setting lasts like 18 hours without wifi.

and the DS has, in my opinion, the best game library in history, plus the entire GBA lineup if you have an original or Lite model.

Complain about battery life all you want for certian handhelds, but it's no problem with any of the DS models, particularly the Lite.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Blimblin: uh, just because the original GBA's screen sucked doesn't mean you should skip out on all nintendo handhelds, lol

I guess this is part of an off-topic conversation, but, ermm... I've been busy at work for the past 3 days and haven't charged my 3DS in that time.

I've been playing nintendogs, Mario Kart DS and Rabbids 3D, and StreetPass Quest/Find Mii sporadically on breaks etc. On full brightness and always 3D.

It just dropped down to half battery icon.

GAF A60-Rim A said:
I guess this is part of an off-topic conversation, but, ermm... I've been busy at work for the past 3 days and haven't charged my 3DS in that time.

I've been playing nintendogs, Mario Kart DS and Rabbids 3D, and StreetPass Quest/Find Mii sporadically on breaks etc. On full brightness and always 3D.

It just dropped down to half battery icon.

I honestly haven't had a problem with my 3DS' battery life, but to be fair i'm never far away enough from my dock when playing for it to ever become an issue. I honestly expected it to be worse with how some of the people here were losing their minds over it.

Also, god damn is the GB Micro sexy. I want one. I should have bought one brand new at gamestop when they were phasing them out.

smurfx

get some go again
Blimblim said:
First gen GBA was an horrible console though, thanks to the non-backlight screen. Terrible terrible screen, to this day I refuse to buy a Nintendo handheld because of that piece of trash (not that I plan on buying a handheld console from anyone else mind you).
so that means you've never played link's awakening? dude play it if you haven't! that is if you like zelda games.

smurfx said:
so that means you've never played link's awakening? dude play it if you haven't! that is if you like zelda games.

LA is Gameboy and Gameboy Colour, he's talking about GBA -- GB Advance. The first one, wideboy advance, with no backlight. People had to fit their own lighting things to make the screen viewable in direct sunlight or in the dark at night...

AceBandage said:
I still have my Arctic White launch GBA.
It's such a wonderful system.

I still have mine as well, but I'm not quite as enamored with it. I'm pretty sure playing Castlevania: CotM on that thing was harder on the eyes than the 3ds with the slider on full blast will ever be.

jcm said:
why would sales results months after the NPD stopped releasing numbers have any impact on who people believe asked them to stop releasing numbers?

you think Nintendo knew the 3DS was going to underperform and so as to damage control it, they asked the NPD to stop releasing numbers months before it came out? is that what you think?

SmokyDave

No matter how early in the game it is, no matter how lackluster the launch line-up is, Nintendo have got to be sweating a little. The handheld game has changed.

AceBandage said:
I still have my Arctic White launch GBA.
It's such a wonderful system.
I still have my original Gameboy!

I can barely see a damned thing on the screen but I love it all the same.

SmokyDave said:
No matter how early in the game it is, no matter how lackluster the launch line-up is, Nintendo have got to be sweating a little. The handheld game has changed.

I still have my original Gameboy!

I can barely see a damned thing on the screen but I love it all the same.

I dunno about sweating. They can still coast off the DS for a while.
It really comes down to how they handle this holiday season.

Huff

Banned
Gram Negative Cocci said:
It's amazing how shunned the PS3 in the US is.

- exclusive character: doesn't matter [MK]
- exclusive stage: doesn't matter [MK]
- free PC game with PS3 version: doesn't fucking matter [Portal 2]

All that superfluos crap added to PS3 versions of multiplatform games doesn't make a bit of difference in the US. People still buy 360 versions!

Sony is done for this gen. Maybe they will have better luck with PS4.

Where do you see that 360 MK outsold PS3 version?

hiryu

Now we know why Nintendo has been bitching about smartphones and cheap games. They have killed a large chunk of Nintendo's market. Nobody wants to pay that much money for a portable games and systems when they can use a phone or iPod touch and do a lot more than just play games.

Salacious Crumb

BroHuffman said:
Where do you see that 360 MK outsold PS3 version?
in the op:
EviLore said:
Top 10 Individual SKUs include: (Gamasutra And Anita Frazier Below)
-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
-Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS)
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-Just Dance 2 (Wii)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)
-And Presumably Mortal Kombat (PS3)

radioheadrule83 said:
That's the Gameboy Light actually. And yes, it's the best Gameboy.

jcm said:
Sony was doing worse than Nintendo when they stopped releasing numbers, so...

FrankT

Gram Negative Cocci said:
It's amazing how shunned the PS3 in the US is.

- exclusive character: doesn't matter [MK]
- exclusive stage: doesn't matter [MK]
- free PC game with PS3 version: doesn't fucking matter [Portal 2]

All that superfluos crap added to PS3 versions of multiplatform games doesn't make a bit of difference in the US. People still buy 360 versions!

Sony is done for this gen. Maybe they will have better luck with PS4.

Did we get MK breakdown or did I miss that. Content can matter, but typically 360 version can do just as well. Content seemed to matter to a point in Batman. Then again I believe Portal 2 360 could have done a lot better even if it didn't do so hot on PS3. I said long ago without serious content exclusive for Portal 2 and I mean in game content, DLC ect then the 360 would come out on top. Of course, there are genres that still typically favor the Sony platform and fighting games are one. That isn't to say 360 cannot hold it's own for fighting games either it just seems that certain genres do a better than others.

Top 10 Individual SKUs include: (Gamasutra And Anita Frazier Below)
-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
-Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
-Pokemon White (NDS)
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-Just Dance 2 (Wii)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)
-And Presumably Mortal Kombat (PS3)

Portal 2 PS3 didn't even make it. Tough to believe.

Top Bottom