• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

robotnjik

Major Nelson on twitter:

"Just saw some April NPD Data. Xbox continues to be the best selling console of 2011."

and

"To give some context, Xbox 360 sales are up 60% over this time last year"

Screenboy

EviLore said:
09. Pokemon White Version (NDS) Nintendo

thats_racist.gif

Wallach

Mortal Kombat continues to be a great performer. Wonder what the actual number was for them. Probably enough that even with Steam sales included it would have tracked at top spot.

"Games that would appear in the top ten ranking on a SKU basis for April include "NDS POKEMON BLACK VERSION," and "PS3 SOCOM 4: U.S. NAVY SEALS." If sales of the SOCOM Move accessory bundle were combined with software sales, this game would have ranked in the top ten titles as well."

Accessories

"On a year-to-date basis, video games accessories realized the greatest year-over-year percentage increase of all categories. The best-selling accessory item in April was the Xbox 360 Live 1600 Points Game Card."

"Sony's SOCOM 4: Full Deployment Bundle, which included the Sharpshooter as well as the Move, was the top new accessory release."

Ridley327

Guess I was wrong about MK after all!

I sure hope that Sony is taking a long hard look at their Kevin Butler campaign because I'm pretty sure the awful ad SOCOM 4 got did not do it any favors.

Mortal Kombat dominating. Just under 900k for its first month, noice.

NBA 2K11 still selling great. With NBA2K12 having no competition this year, I can see the franchise continuing to sell mega numbers. Bring back more classic players and teams/scenarios please.

Mileena

Banned
Ridley327 said:

I sure hope that Sony is taking a long hard look at their Kevin Butler campaign because I'm pretty sure the awful ad SOCOM 4 got did not do it any favors.
I'm sure it had more to do with the god awful beta. Common man.

FrankT

timetokill said:
That would be crazy -- that the steamplay for PSN didn't really add up to enough to overcome the 360's sales, though I guess PSN could have had a part to play there.

Well with nearly 60/30 splits in the UK the US a lot of times mirrors such. Probably not that high, but still think 360 was on top. However on the listing I just have no idea why they would list PS3 first on one then 360 on the rest then Wii for legos. It somewhat makes sense.

fernoca

woodypop said:
I wonder how high Mortal Kombat will chart in May since that's when the Toys R Us deal started.
Same with Portal 2, though Portal 2 was on sale..everywhere. And still is.
K-mart put MK at $40 this week.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I think this month just about confirms that the SKU order does mean something.

Carl

Lagspike_exe said:
"Games that would appear in the top ten ranking on a SKU basis for April include "NDS POKEMON BLACK VERSION," and "PS3 SOCOM 4: U.S. NAVY SEALS." If sales of the SOCOM Move accessory bundle were combined with software sales, this game would have ranked in the top ten titles as well."

Accessories

"On a year-to-date basis, video games accessories realized the greatest year-over-year percentage increase of all categories. The best-selling accessory item in April was the Xbox 360 Live 1600 Points Game Card."

"Sony's SOCOM 4: Full Deployment Bundle, which included the Sharpshooter as well as the Move, was the top new accessory release."

Wow that is pretty good.

Ridley327 said:

Why wouldn't the PSN outage be the cause of SOCOM 4 not charting?
Edit: Never mind after seeing the post above this.

gillty

Banned
Wallach said:
Mortal Kombat continues to be a great performer. Wonder what the actual number was for them. Probably enough that even with Steam sales included it would have tracked at top spot.
no.

Road

"Total spending on video games including game systems, games and accessories in April hit $961.2 million, 20% more than in April 2010, according to The NPD Group. Games sales rose 26% to $503.2 million; hardware rose 12% to $280 million."

Was April last year so bad?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Cday said:
Yuck. I got the PS3 version because of the D-Pad not some forced, out of place exclusive character.
Maybe YOU did, but if you have to choose between two versions, and they're the same and one has an extra character, which do you choose?

I mean Soul Calibur 2 sold best on Gamecube, because Link was there. There's precedent for this.

Top Bottom