• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

1-D_FTW

Has it ever been explained what NPD does with Steam numbers? Does it just wildly guess how much something sells or just completely ignore it?

Akainu

Cday said:
Yuck. I got the PS3 version because of the D-Pad not some forced, out of place exclusive character.
How is a character whose main seller point is how violent he is out of place in a game whose main selling point is how violent it is?

kuYuri

I asked a friend to buy MK for me during the TRU sale for $30 and I just got it today. Looking forward to playing it over the weekend.

Wallach said:
I called that it would get a higher first month than MvC3. MK moves, man.
I am surprised by this I thought it would do far less well. Crow served.
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Hate the combined SKUs. Gives so little movement in the charts.
And we don't see which platform sold more either.

DMeisterJ

Banned
So SOCOM is in top 10 on an individual basis, and if the Full Deployment Bundle is included it'd make top 10 combined SKUs? I guess that's good for Zipper, but it sends them the wrong message. Releasing unfinished games shouldn't be rewarded like that. :/

Dedication Through Light said:
Shocked that Mortal Kombat did more on PS3 than 360.

Kratos + PS3 Branded Ads + Exclusive Demo will do that. Plus fighters tend to do well on PS3 in any circumstances due to the controller and the PS3 allowing any USB pad or stick.

Are steam sales (US only) really expected to be that high? When Starcraft 2 and Black Ops came out, they had (relatively) big retail and DD sales.

Road

1-D_FTW said:
Has it ever been explained what NPD does with Steam numbers? Does it just wildly guess how much something sells or just completely ignore it?
Ignored for monthly reports.

Estimated by asking people what they bought for quarterly/yearly reports.

Sean

Banned
Kinect Sports selling 3+ million means it's Rare's most successful game of the past decade, right? Never would've guessed that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Road said:
"Total spending on video games including game systems, games and accessories in April hit $961.2 million, 20% more than in April 2010, according to The NPD Group. Games sales rose 26% to $503.2 million; hardware rose 12% to $280 million."

Was April last year so bad?
Splinter Cell: Conviction and Super Street Fighter IV were like the only games.

Grecco

Really suprised at the 360 sku outsellng the PS3 sku in Portal and MK

MK9 had Kratos on Ps3 no exclusive on Xbox

Portal 2 has steamworks and An extra copy of the pc version....

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
MK deserves to outsell MvsC3 imo.

And the PS3 version of MK seemed like the cut and dry choice. Better d-pad, extra character/stage, free online, and I believe it was the lead system for development. Too bad the whole PSN thing had to happen.

fernoca

Kusagari said:
lol I remember the past thread for MvC3 with so many people saying MK wouldn't open higher.
Yep, a few randoms:
Replying to: So you expect MK to debut in the US with lower numbers than SF4 or MvC3?

GitarooMan said:
I think it will be below MvC3. That game had a ton of hype, more so I would argue than MK, especially among those types who would run out and buy a game at launch. In the long run, I think MK would outsell it, but not in the first month is my guess.
borghe said:
yeah, I do... the series IMHO as lost all good will amongst gamers. If they can get a 360 demo out before launch that will probably help numbers considerably... but the first month will probably be lower IMHO. However the drop off won't be bad for the game and if it's as good as it's looking, word of mouth should carry it in the top 20 for some months.

I am just talking about launch month. My guess is it should do 1-1.5M pretty definitely in the US across both. But it's going to be driven by word of mouth.

:p

And a few at the February NPD posted in March.

Snipes424

Dedication Through Light said:
Shocked that Mortal Kombat did more on PS3 than 360.

I'm not at all, fighting games do extremely well on the PS3 + Kratos = profit

I'm just glad the two best games of the month are in the top two spots.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
CadetMahoney said:
And we don't see which platform sold more either.

Unless you believe that the order they are listed in is the sales order.

Which I think looks more likely after some results this month.

Kandinsky said:
Why are people saying PS3MK>360MK? lol

The reason above it why. PS3 is listed before 360.

Seda

UberTag said:
No year-over-year growth for Wii = < 277K

Where did you get that there was no YOY growth for Wii? I mean I expect that to be true, but I don't think Nintendo's said anything yet.

Cday

Banned
Htown said:
Maybe YOU did, but if you have to choose between two versions, and they're the same and one has an extra character, which do you choose?

I mean Soul Calibur 2 sold best on Gamecube, because Link was there. There's precedent for this.

360 version because it has functioning online. I don't care about soulless exclusive character bullshit and I never intend to play Kratos. Also Link is several magnitudes bigger than Kratos. The disparity in the D-Pads between the 360/PS3 is much bigger than some throwaway bonus character.

UberTag

Seda said:
Where did you get that there was no YOY growth for Wii? I mean I expect that to be true, but I don't think Nintendo's said anything yet.
Anita Frazier's summary in the OP specifically calls out X360, PS3 and PSP as displaying year-over-year growth. She made that distinction for a reason.

Grecco said:
Really suprised at the 360 sku outsellng the PS3 sku in Portal and MK

MK9 had Kratos on Ps3 no exclusive on Xbox

Portal 2 has steamworks and An extra copy of the pc version....
Are you basing this off of numbers? I don't see them in the OP.

Seda

UberTag said:
Anita Frazier's summary in the OP specifically calls out X360, PS3 and PSP as displaying year-over-year growth. She made that distinction for a reason.

Gotcha. Didn't catch that.

Top 10 Individual SKUs include: (Gamasutra And Anita Frazier Below)
-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
-Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)
Mortal Kombat PS3 is not even in the top 10 SKUs? Am I reading this right?

This is really weird.

EviLore said:
Top 10 Individual SKUs include: (Gamasutra And Anita Frazier Below)
-Mortal Kombat (360)
-Portal 2 (360)
-Crysis 2 (360)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters (360)
-Michael Jackson: The Experience (360)
-Pokemon Black (NDS)
-SOCOM 4 (PS3)
What does this mean?

I thought PS3 MK sold more than 360 MK?

Kusagari

I don't know why people expected the PS3 Portal 2 to outsell the 360 one. Nobody except the hardest of hardcore gamers knew or even cared about Steamworks.

fernoca

Grecco said:
MVC3 wasnt available at 50 percent off a week after it came out.
That was only one store (Toys R Us) and with a coupon..and that was last week (May). (Thread about it posted on April 28)

Plus you were saying at February's NPD thread:
Grecco said:
Nobody is saying MK9 wont sell well, but to suggest its gonna "Blow MVC3" out of the water and beat MVC3 and all that is silly. People underestimante Marvels popularity. Or overestimate MKs.
Lower-price a few weeks later at one store or not, it's still popular. :p

UberTag

InterInside said:

This is really weird.
It hasn't been independently confirmed.
Logic would indicate it's a part of that group, though.
Only 7 of the Top 10 individual SKU games are being called out in random order.

Seda

InterInside said:

This is really weird.

That's 7 individual skus we know are in the top ten, in a guessed order. There's 3 missing.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
InterInside said:

This is really weird.
"Includes"

We were given a list of 360 games in the top 10.
NPD told us that Socom and Pokemon were there.
Just Dance was already in the combined list.

Top Bottom