• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

SoulPlaya

more money than God
People should relax about the 3DS. The DS started off slow, and it took the right software (which Nintendo always puts out in the portable space), and then it took off.

Amir0x

Banned
Coolio McAwesome said:
You've never misjudged the distance of a jump in a 3D platformer? If that's the case, then I suppose you've never swam up to an coin in an underwater section and missed it completely either. You've probably never missed an item box or ran into an obstacle in Mario Kart. You've probably never failed to fly through a ring in Pilotwings 64. I'm sure you've never accidentally ran into something in StarFox or failed to dodge a projectile attack in Sin and Punishment because you didn't realize how close it was.

I guess I'll take you at your word. If you are telling me that you've never once misjudged your positioning in a game, then who am I to say any different? That being said, I would still argue that the vast majority of gamers do occasionally misjudge their positioning in games. For anyone who has ever accidentally missed an item box in Mario Kart, 3D most certainly can be beneficial from a gameplay standpoint.

Absolutely not. All of the challenge in these games comes from not applying the right amount of pressure to the controls or something (since in some platformers, the harder you press the button the further you jump) or from enemies or timing rather than distance judging. It's literally never been something that has crossed my mind once. It's funny to even hear it was ever a problem. We've had two Super Mario Galaxy games where people regularly complained they were too easy. Apparently they were all having distance judging problems but simply failed to mention its catastrophic effect on their gameplay in those topics. I guess with this last hole plugged, it would make the games so super ridiculously easy that they might as well market them to babies. Who am I to know? I've never had to deal with it!

People said the same thing about Ridge Racer 3DS, to use an example. "Wow I can judge distance on turns so easily!" Here I am, the all races complete, not one loss... nothing even less than first place even once. In 2D mode, I never turned on the 3D once! How is it possible? I don't know. I guess I just will have to suffer the banality of my "flawed" existence forever :(

In any event, I expect that if there is a benefit at all for any group of people, it's such an infinitesimally small one that it certainly doesn't counter the massive issues risen by the 3DS autostereoscopic 3D technology so I'm fairly sure it's moot. My brother-in-law lost only one race, and you know why? Because during one of them the 3D lost focus and he crashed into a wall while he tried to re-adjust. And he loves the 3D!

My argument is that a lot of people don't like 3D, and even if they did the benefits are either non-existent or too small to care about in the face of the other problems. It was a bad idea to market the 3DS as a "3D platform" instead of a platform that does all this other awesome stuff waaay better than its predecesors. That's why I see the potential in 3DS, after all. Because it's much better than DS as a platform. I think people just think it's a DS with 3D or they think the improvement is mainly in the form of that 3D and Nintendo didn't put much effort elsewhere. Nintendo should do a better job marketing the differences.

Thunder Monkey said:
That helps the Wii.

The 3DS don't look no good.

Sure it does. Stream is backward compatible with Wii products! :slydog.gif:

Owzers

SoulPlaya said:
People should relax about the 3DS. The DS started off slow, and it took the right software (which Nintendo always puts out in the portable space), and then it took off.

I agree, but how the DS found success won't automatically be mimicked with the 3DS at $100 more.

lucius

Of course it isn't doom and gloom for 3DS, but it will never match DS overall sales with iOS and mobile gaming being so popular. It's not going to be printing money like DS did, I am sure it will have success though. But no handheld is likely to get DS type numbers again NGP has the same problem.

You can get at least one good-great game for iOS for a dollar or even free about every other week. 3DS and NGP better have something implemented where you can get the same type quality quickly or they will not have as great success as before.

Yeah, the 3DS gloom is totally unwarranted. The DS is still a super viable platform, with lots of great games being released this year, at a great price.

Once developers start focusing exclusively on the 3DS, sales will boom boom boom.

Log4Girlz

Amir0x said:
Absolutely not. All of the challenge in these games comes from not applying the right amount of pressure to the controls or something (since in some platformers, the harder you press the button the further you jump) or from enemies or timing rather than distance judging. It's literally never been something that has crossed my mind once. It's funny to even hear it was ever a problem. We've had two Super Mario Galaxy games where people regularly complained they were too easy. Apparently they were all having distance judging problems but simply failed to mention its catastrophic effect on their gameplay in those topics. I guess with this last hole plugged, it would make the games so super ridiculously easy that they might as well market them to babies. Who am I to know? I've never had to deal with it!

People said the same thing about Ridge Racer 3DS, to use an example. "Wow I can judge distance on turns so easily!" Here I am, the all races complete, not one loss... nothing even less than first place even once. In 2D mode, I never turned on the 3D once! How is it possible? I don't know. I guess I just will have to suffer the banality of my "flawed" existence forever :(

In any event, I expect that if there is a benefit at all for any group of people, it's such an infinitesimally small one that it certainly doesn't counter the massive issues risen by the 3DS autostereoscopic 3D technology so I'm fairly sure it's moot. My brother-in-law lost only one race, and you know why? Because during one of them the 3D lost focus and he crashed into a wall while he tried to re-adjust. And he loves the 3D!

My argument is that a lot of people don't like 3D, and even if they did the benefits are either non-existent or too small to care about in the face of the other problems. It was a bad idea to market the 3DS as a "3D platform" instead of a platform that does all this other awesome stuff waaay better than its predecesors. That's why I see the potential in 3DS, after all. Because it's much better than DS as a platform. I think people just think it's a DS with 3D or they think the improvement is mainly in the form of that 3D and Nintendo didn't put much effort elsewhere. Nintendo should do a better job marketing the differences.

Sure it does. Stream is backward compatible with Wii products! :slydog.gif:

I don't think it is a mistake to market the machine as a 3D platform yet. They need to really put out much more product that show off the 3D impressively. As it is, there's just so little to show off that indeed, it seems like 3D is just something premature and unimpressive and confusing to the casual gamer.

I think in the long run they have a huge hit. But in the mean time, its the waiting that's the hardest part lol.

Atomski

SoulPlaya said:
Yeah I think people are over reacting. Wait till they get some big name games out.. or at least wait till the holiday season rolls around.

Amir0x said:
Those people should try 200%-ing them then. Holishit, HARD!

I never had problems judging jumps/distance in the Galaxy games either, except when it came to close up jumps on goombas or what have you. I'd say a lot of that probably goes into EAD Tokyo's flawless level and camera design, but after playing Pilotwings Resort, I can see how 3D could make that up close/dynamic platforming on enemies easier to immediately perceive. It also might change the way the levels are designed, leading to a deeper challenge in general for a 3D Mario. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

Amir0x

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
I don't think it is a mistake to market the machine as a 3D platform yet. They need to really put out much more product that show off the 3D impressively. As it is, there's just so little to show off that indeed, it seems like 3D is just something premature and unimpressive and confusing to the casual gamer.

I think in the long run they have a huge hit. But in the mean time, its the waiting that's the hardest part lol.

I still think the 3DS is just waiting for the software and holiday season. I don't think consumers have really paid so much attention to it yet because there's no games and plus they're not really on the market looking. But I do believe once you get heavy hitters like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Pokemon the thing will be a success. No, it won't ever be a DS-level success but really how much times does that happen? Only once :p

lunchwithyuzo said:
Those people should try 200%-ing them then. Holishit, HARD!

Heh, I definitely think getting everything on SMG2 is sufficiently challenging... that is to say, it's never particularly hard but it is always just tough enough that you do get a palpable sense of reward upon completion. It's not Super Meat Boy or anything though.

lunchwithyuzo said:
t also might change the way the levels are designed, leading to a deeper challenge in general for a 3D Mario. Hopefully we'll find out soon.
Today 04:31 PM

We will indeed soon find out.

Log4Girlz

Amir0x said:
I still think the 3DS is just waiting for the software and holiday season. I don't think consumers have really paid so much attention to it yet because there's no games and plus they're not really on the market looking. But I do believe once you get heavy hitters like Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Pokemon the thing will be a success. No, it won't ever be a DS-level success but really how much times does that happen? Only once :p

Heh, I definitely think getting everything on SMG2 is sufficiently challenging... that is to say, it's never particularly hard but it is always just tough enough that you do get a palpable sense of reward upon completion. It's not Super Meat Boy or anything though.

Well, I will say that the potential is there for greater than DS success. If the rumors are true that Nintendo is making like $100 off each unit, then there's a lot of room to drop the price in the future, its certainly more powerful than the DS and the 3D gimmick will be something that a large number of people will find to be a premium experience (even if they are not actually willing to spend more...what I mean is, once the price drops quite a few people will be like holy shit time to buy!).

It will be interesting to say the least to watch its sales in the upcoming years. Even if it fails to capture the market the DS did, again as you said, that was a stupendous success.

Amir0x said:
Holy hell, daredevil Grandmaster Galaxy! Ugh, it took me like 30 lives!

I agree though, the later bits of Galaxy 2 really hit that perfect perfect balance between challenge and frustration for me, with a really good curve to get there. I loved SMB too, but that was more my inner masochist coming out.

Amir0x said:
CANNOT WAIT! My poor unloved 3DS is so hungry...

Amir0x

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
Holy hell, daredevil Grandmaster Galaxy! Ugh, it took me like 30 lives!

I agree though, the later bits of Galaxy 2 really hit that perfect perfect balance between challenge and frustration for me, with a really good curve to get there. I loved SMB too, but that was more my inner masochist coming out.

yup, one thing that cannot be said is that these games have a bad curve. Brilliant difficulty curve as always.

lunchwithyuzo said:
CANNOT WAIT! My poor unloved 3DS is so hungry...

Buy DreamTrigger. First legitimately good original 3DS game imo.

Log4Girlz said:
Well, I will say that the potential is there for greater than DS success. If the rumors are true that Nintendo is making like $100 off each unit, then there's a lot of room to drop the price in the future, its certainly more powerful than the DS and the 3D gimmick will be something that a large number of people will find to be a premium experience (even if they are not actually willing to spend more...what I mean is, once the price drops quite a few people will be like holy shit time to buy!).

I just don't think the market is in the same place it was and so the main gimmicks inside the 3DS are not going to sell at same force again (that is, touch screen and dual screen). So it's going to require compelling original software.

But yeah, I think a PS2-level success is possibly in the cards, but not a DS-level success.

Izayoi

Banned
Amir0x said:
Ordered it a few days ago.

You all better not be lying to me.

What do I care, it's a new game. I NEED MORE 3DS GAMES. ;_;

Amir0x said:
I'm really interested, but after being burned by Steel Diver (gawd it SUXXX!) I'm super hesitant to blow $40 on another unknown quantity. That eShop delay might just force my hand though, goddamn it.

Amir0x

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
I'm really interested, but after being burned by Steel Diver (gawd it SUXXX!) I'm super hesitant to blow $40 on another unknown quantity. That eShop delay might just force my hand though, goddamn it.

Yeah i mean that's understandable. It probably should have been $30. But I'm digging it and it's soo fucking hard that you'll be playing it for a while anyway :p

Jomjom

Banned
I don't know if you guys are talking potential, but no game currently out has shown that the 3D can actually even help with depth perception when it comes to platforming. I don't personally believe that the technology even has the capability to actually help with that. The 3D is so inconsistent even when you move a little bit and on top of that, everyone sees 3D slightly differently, I don't really see how it will really help. The 3D is more like Magic Eye and less like actual real depth.

Amir0x said:
Yeah i mean that's understandable. It probably should have been $30. But I'm digging it and it's soo fucking hard that you'll be playing it for a while anyway :p
I'll probably get it and DOA in the next few weeks. I was pretty well sated with the superb rehash trio (Pilotwings, SSF4, RR) for the past month, but man Steel Diver has me afraid to try new things.

Log4Girlz

Amir0x said:
I just don't think the market is in the same place it was and so the main gimmicks inside the 3DS are not going to sell at same force again (that is, touch screen and dual screen). So it's going to require compelling original software.

But yeah, I think a PS2-level success is possibly in the cards, but not a DS-level success.

We will see. I still see a feasible scenario where the 3DS can match the heights of the DS. BUT, it will not be easy and totally rely on what Nintendo releases and how they handle price-drops. The unit is just so stupendously superior to the original DS IMO. Now, in retrospect, since hindsight is 20/20, I think the odds of the original DS beating all competitors and being the number 1 videogame system of all time seemed a less likely scenario in the time it was released. I was one of the ones shocked by the machine when it was first unveiled (OMG its fat and ugly, and look at those hideous graphics!) and thought Nintendo would fail (or rather, be successful but far less so than the PSP and be an also ran, kinda like an N64 scenario). And then the Wii came out, and I thought BOMBA! Two gamecube's stuck together and a stupid as hell name. So WTF do I know really lol.

Do not get me wrong, I am not disputing a word of your opinion, I see completely where you are coming from and actually agree it is the more likely scenario, but I think the potential is there to be #1 of all time, but Nintendo really needs to play its cards right (hey they started by selling those things lol).

jling84 said:
I don't know if you guys are talking potential, but no game currently out has shown that the 3D can actually even help with depth perception when it comes to platforming. I don't personally believe that the technology even has the capability to actually help with that. The 3D is so inconsistent even when you move a little bit and on top of that, everyone sees 3D slightly differently, I don't really see how it will really help. The 3D is more like Magic Eye and less like actual real depth.
I have to disagree, depth perception definitely made landing on targets using the jetpack way easier in Pilotwings for an example. It's all about implementation and design, but it's probably not something that's going to happen overnight and it's going to take some serious rethink/experimentation on the developer's part to successfully implement.

I'll agree that in most games so far that I've played 3D has like zero impact on gameplay (SSF4, RR, Steel Diver, BAM, Monkey Ball... pretty much everything but Pilotwings). At it's best elsewhere, I think it's been a nice pop-out effect for 2D actually, like cut scenes in Monkey Ball or the diorama-esque look in Steel Diver. Makes me excited for Paper Mario.

If ever there was a game for the dudebro audience, it is Mortal Kombat. Add on to this that NetherRealm made a really good game, the sales should not be suprising to anyone. I would love to know what their netkode is like, but hey, I bought the PS3 Version.

360 doing well. Looking foreward to the e3 meltdowns when a significant portion of the conference is Kinect related and Sony backpedaling on PSN.

Nintendo... Should have waited to release the 3DS until the games were ready. You can't trust 3rd Parties to carry the ball on a Nintendo Console

T Ghost

Paco said:
Microsoft deserves the success, I just hope it doesn't go to their head and they get lazy.

The Kinect Sport numbers are great, but I hope this doesn't mean we're going to see another Kinect Sports out too soon; and something tells me we'll see Dance Central 2 at E3.

I'm 100% ready for DC2. Got my $60 in my right hand waiting for the midnight launch.

Str0ngStyle said:
If ever there was a game for the dudebro audience, it is Mortal Kombat. Add on to this that NetherRealm made a really good game, the sales should not be suprising to anyone. I would love to know what their netkode is like, but hey, I bought the PS3 Version

Little known fact: the programmers were forbidden from using the letter "c" while working on Mortal Kombat. The key itself was removed from the keyboards.

Game Guru

Amir0x said:

I too have never experienced problems in judging depth with a 2D screen. Didn't someone mention before how the 3D Mario games have unnatural shadows so that one could accurately judge where Mario was going to land? The unnatural shadows are an acceptable break from reality much like Mario's jumping ability is an acceptable break from reality, since both are unnatural to promote a certain type of gameplay, namely that of the platformer.

The one thing I wanted to know, the PS3/360 split on Mortal Kombat, still hasn't been revealed yet.

John Harker, feel free to PM me the answer. We can keep it between you and me; I'd never divulge a PM to the forum. Well...not again, anyway.

Arnie

I was initially really excited for the 3DS, but then I played Crysis 2 in 3D for about an hour and got a migrane, since then the whole notion of 3D gaming just hasn't really compelled me to take another look. Sure the 3DS probably won't give me a migrane with every hour of play, the same way I've not had any problems with the 5 or so 3D movies I've watched, but the fact that I'm taking the risk isn't something I'm interested in.

I also know that I could turn the 3D effect off, but that's like buying a 360 without wanting to connect it to the internet.

Slurmer

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
The one thing I wanted to know, the PS3/360 split on Mortal Kombat, still hasn't been revealed yet.

John Harker, feel free to PM me the answer. We can keep it between you and me; I'd never divulge a PM to the forum. Well...not again, anyway.

Yeah that's only thing I want to know as well. NPD is no fun anymore

apujanata

Amir0x said:

Amirox,

As someone who purchased Wii day one (thanks to Zelda: TP), NDS day one, DSL day one, Gamecube month one (thanks to Zelda : WW), GBA Day one, and Nintendo enthusiast (definitely not a rabid fans), I can only say that your reasoning didn't apply to me.

Never a big fan of Animal Crossing. Like MK DS, but like MK Wii way more. Pokemon : Still like it, but do not have enought time to play them to finish.

Looking back to DS launch, I am very excited for it. Touch screen, microphone, big improvement over GBA.

3DS launch, the 3D function is not exciting enough to compensate for the way shorter battery life. I have the money to buy 3DS, but I decided not to buy it. I decided to buy DSi XL for me, instead of 3DS, to replace my broken DSL.

As some who purchase 3 DS fat, 4 DSL, 2 DSi XL, it is very strange indeed to not be excited for 3DS. But this didn't happen to me alone, it also happened to my other friends.

jvm

Gamasutra.
apujanata said:
As someone who purchased <snip>
I don't have much to add, apujanata, but I wanted to just say how interesting it is to see people's buying habits laid out like that.

I've owned pretty much one of each system, and sometimes several within a line of hardware. But nothing like 4 DS Lites. I imagine this may change as my children age, although I'd hesitate to say that I'll own those, if you know what I mean.

Sorry for the off-topic...

Amir0x

Banned
apujanata said:
Amirox,

As someone who purchased Wii day one (thanks to Zelda: TP), NDS day one, DSL day one, Gamecube month one (thanks to Zelda : WW), GBA Day one, and Nintendo enthusiast (definitely not a rabid fans), I can only say that your reasoning didn't apply to me.

Never a big fan of Animal Crossing. Like MK DS, but like MK Wii way more. Pokemon : Still like it, but do not have enought time to play them to finish.

Looking back to DS launch, I am very excited for it. Touch screen, microphone, big improvement over GBA.

3DS launch, the 3D function is not exciting enough to compensate for the way shorter battery life. I have the money to buy 3DS, but I decided not to buy it. I decided to buy DSi XL for me, instead of 3DS, to replace my broken DSL.

As some who purchase 3 DS fat, 4 DSL, 2 DSi XL, it is very strange indeed to not be excited for 3DS. But this didn't happen to me alone, it also happened to my other friends.

Well I hate Animal Crossing, think the Mario Kart franchise has gone over a cliff with balance destroy items and lame new courses and Pokemon...well I'm not ten anymore and I stopped being in the mood to spend $40 for a slightly altered version of Pokemon Gameboy years ago.

But regardless of where I stand on these franchises, objectively they are powerful games for the handheld market that grab quick grab-and-go gameplay by the balls and allow people to settle in and out without much real dedication.

No matter what, these franchises are not going to so diminish in power that they're not going to push many units for the 3DS. So I firmly believe that the 3DS is capable of achieving PS2-level success. No, I do not and never have believed it is capable of being a DS success. That ship has sailed.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm rather surprised at the 3DS sales numbers. I guess the price point is a little more then people are willing to spend for Nintendo handheld.

apana

Nintendo really is entering into a period of decline. Wii sales at 15 million for the year is a big fucking drop and now the 3DS isn't doing so great.

antonz

apana said:
Nintendo really is entering into a period of decline. Wii sales at 15 million for the year is a big fucking drop and now the 3DS isn't doing so great.
15 million will still get them to the 100 million units mark.

Snipes424

SoulPlaya said:

It's not quite as easy as that honestly.

I think the3DS is just too expensive for what it is. I mean the PS3 has some of the best exclusive software of the generation but it's still in 3rd place in the US. Most of that reason is because of the cost.

The second major hurdle is the 3D. I think people are rejecting 3D regardless of glasses free or not. People see it as a gimmick (which it is) and when you build platform around a gimmick people don't like then it shows in the sales.

Now, will the system start selling like crazy when some Mario games come around? Yes, but I will be very surprised if the 3DS ever reaches anywhere near DS numbers when everything is said and done.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Snipes424 said:

I think the3DS is just too expensive for what it is. I mean the PS3 has some of the best exclusive software of the generation but it's still in 3rd place in the US. Most of that reason is because of the cost.
While thats true, how long did the PS3 go without really any must have software? And how are sales doing now that it actually has a kick-ass set of exclusives?

Kusagari

Snipes424 said:

Not really. Sony's exclusive software doesn't match even the biggest third party hits on PS3 like CoD, AC, BF, etc outside of a few scant games. Sony's exclusives this gen just aren't as appealing to the masses as a lot of people act like.

Snipes424 said:

The second major hurdle is the 3D. I think people are rejecting 3D regardless of glasses free or not. People see it as a gimmick (which it is) and when you build platform around a gimmick people don't like then it shows in the sales.

Now, will the system start selling like crazy when some Mario games come around? Yes, but I will be very surprised if the 3DS ever reaches anywhere near DS numbers when everything is said and done.
Don't think price is the main problem, wait until after this year to judge. That's when we will have GOOD games available and more coming out.

And motion-control is a gimmick that moved close to 100 million Wii and made Kinect the fastest-selling something. Whether you like it or not, gimmicks are here to stay.

At some point in the near future we won't be able to advance in graphics or the industry might break, $100000000000000 development cost, $100 games? A mess.

First-party companies will sell their products based on unique ideas, which is what Nintendo is doing right now.

And I'm not going to comment on the "PS3 exclusive" statement because seriously...

Snipes424

Sammy Samusu said:
Don't think price is the main problem, wait until after this year to judge. That's when we will have GOOD games available and more coming out.

And motion-control is a gimmick that moved close to 100 million Wii and made Kinect the fastest-selling something. Whether you like it or not, gimmicks are here to stay.

At some point in the near future we won't be able to advance in graphics or the industry might break, $100000000000000 development cost, $100 games? A mess.

First-party companies will sell their products based on unique ideas, which is what Nintendo is doing right now.

And I'm not going to comment on the "PS3 exclusive" statement because seriously...

The difference is motion controls were not rejected by the mainstream. Some people here on GAF may not like motion control, but the mainstream does. 3D is being rejected on almost every level at every age at every income level.

Snipes424 said:
The difference is motion controls were not rejected by the mainstream. Some people here on GAF may not like motion control, but the mainstream does. 3D is being rejected on almost every level at every age at every income level.
Explain Avatar.

donny2112

lunchwithyuzo said:
It happened on DS (Nintendogs). Like I just mentioned.

In the U.S., Nintendogs coincided with a price drop, so it's tough to say which arrested the poor sales trend to bring it up with PSP sales. In Japan, the Nintendogs spike was rapidly dying and about to go under PSP again before Brain Training came out. Brain Training then propped up the baseline sales the rest of the year. I don't recall anyone saying "Wait 'til Brain Training."

Also, the "wait for" Nintendogs stuff only really became popular after the 40/40 in Famitsu, if I recall correctly.

miladesn said:

Yeah! All the numbers this month. :)

As for 3DS sales, I don't know if my mindset would be typical, but 3-D movie support is the killer app I'd buy a 3DS for. Preferably with a bigger-screened 3DSXL. In games, there's nothing really interesting coming up to make me want to jump in before finishing my backlog. There's stuff I'll buy or own by the time I get a system, of course, but nothing that makes my frothing demand increase to the point of actually purchasing the system. $40 is too high for portable games. $250 is too high for the small screen (bottom screen is a downgrade from DSi in size, and top screen needs to be bigger for movies) and poor battery life.

Sticking with DSi for a while, at this point. :)

As for Nintendo, I'd imagine they'll get through the summer, and if sales continue to tank, they'll drop price in September before the holidays. Be a great example of hubris to guide them when pricing the Wii 2, too. :D

Edit:
Sammy Samusu said:
Explain Avatar.

Yeah, 3-D movie support would be a great driver of the system. The sooner they get it available (3-D Netflix and/or $20 or less 3-D movies), the better off they'll be.

Top Bottom