• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

Kusagari said:
What did people seriously expect from Deus Ex? It's almost completely unknown to the console crowd and I don't think the advertising for it was anywhere near as great as, for example, Fallout 3.
True, there's a hell of a lot of players (especially younger ones on the console side) that have never heard of it.

Red Blaster said:
Don't care if the console versions bomb, maybe Eidos Montreal will then lead on PC like they should.
How does this make any sense? The PC alone can't support a title with the budget and development time HR requires. The console versions "bombing" wouldn't result in a more PC centric sequel.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
duk said:
I see gears 3 wiping the s/w floor for sep npd and 360 because of that will remain #1
If Gears 3 sells in line with the previous 2 games it should be second behind the combined Madden.

TheNatural

My Member!
I thought the 3DS may get a little more push, but I guess not. I think this is going to be a shitty holiday for everyone, the economy is in the shitter with it looking like a recession may be under way, and more people are going to make do with that they have. And these systems have been out forever and there hasn't been an ultra budget price drop yet. Wii needs to drop to $100 and get it over with. Bottom line is, it's still so fucking ridiculous what these companies expect people to pay this many years into the life cycle of the consoles and with the state of the economy here in the US.

akilshohen said:
September will be crazy considering all of madden and GoW3 will be there.
Gears, 360 Madden and PS3 Madden should all do over a million. I wonder if three skus have done over a million in a non holiday month before.

Kusagari

user_nat said:
If Gears 3 sells in line with the previous 2 games it should be second behind the combined Madden.

Everything points to it obliterating those sales. It's already over a million preorders. I'm expecting near 2 mill at this point.

see5harp

I see Gears 3 doing a million maybe. It'll certainly sell a shit ton over it's lifetime but this country is absolutely crazy for Football.

Kusagari

GarthVaderUK said:
Over a million in the US or worldwide?

Why wouldn't it do a million in the US? I think you guys are seriously underestimating Gears.

Maybe it won't beat Madden combined but it's easily crossing a mill in the Sept NPD.

Frankfurt

Banned
Kusagari said:
And? You don't think it will be front loaded as hell to begin with?

I love Gears, but it won't do much compared to Madden's full month. It'll destroy pretty much anything else this year so far, but I think we'll end up with something like Deus Ex this month: a lot of people going "WTF, I expected more".

see5harp

Kusagari said:
Why wouldn't it do a million in the US? I think you guys are seriously underestimating Gears.

Maybe it won't beat Madden combined but it's easily crossing a mill in the Sept NPD.

I'm just trying to be realistic. It sold what in the past? 800 to 900k in the opening months? It'll have a chance to be the top selling single SKU of the month no doubt.

EDIT: I hope you aren't being serious about R3....come on dude.

Deadbeat said:
I hope Square-Enix comment on Deus Ex sales. I want to know what the total is.

I don't know if the sales figures Square gives out will be that indicative of how much it actually sold. Retailers are already slashing the price a ton all over and I would think that points to shipping way too many copies.

allan-bh

see5harp said:
I'm just trying to be realistic. It sold what in the past? 800 to 900k in the opening months? It'll have a chance to be the top selling single SKU of the month no doubt.

Gears 1- 1.00m

Gears 2- 1.56m

As son as i popped in i went "Yay!" at DXHR, then seeing that number killed that elation. That is not good. Knowing it was only 5 days helped me feel a little better, but not by much. Hopefully it has legs and PC sales are great. This game was in development for 4+ years by a huge team. Its not a Rockstar need 4 million sales to turn a profit situation, but there is no way ~400k is what SE expected.

see5harp said:

Gears two was over 1.5 million first month and outsold COD5 on the 360.

FrankT

Gears 3 pre-orders are doing great, but shorter time frame for the month and non-holiday. I say it evens out a bit. Perhaps Gears 2ish levels first month or a bit better.

Red Blaster said:
Don't care if the console versions bomb, maybe Eidos Montreal will then lead on PC like they should.
The PC version of Human Revolution is a lot better than the console versions though.

Kusagari said:

I meant is it over a million pre-orders in the US or worldwide?

Kusagari

GarthVaderUK said:
I meant is it over a million pre-orders in the US or worldwide?

Major Nelson didn't elaborate. He just said it was over a million and the fasted pre-ordered title in platform history.

see5harp said:

Gears gets what, a few days of sales compared to R3 next month, right?

R3 is getting incredible user reviews here on GAF. Loudninja, in particular, has been extolling the virtues of the game, and we all know he won't do that unless the game is truly good. I mean, with a stellar and compact 6 hour campaign and MP that is surely improved from the broken beta... Gears stands no chance.

VALIS

Just saw the numbers now. Wow. Playstation brand is on its way out in America. Feel free to quote me on that.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Kusagari said:
Major Nelson didn't elaborate. He just said it was over a million and the fasted pre-ordered title in platform history.
The fastest preordered game on Xbox 360?

Linkup

DE:HR would be lucky to break 1 million. Bunch of PC fans bought it day 1 with all the hype and on the consoles it passed a fart then left the room. Game is going to drop like a rock and the sequel probably just got cancelled.

Kusagari

godhandiscen said:
The fastest preordered game on Xbox 360?

That's what he said, but I feel like he meant fasted pre-ordered EXCLUSIVE 360 game.

I find it hard to believe Gears is outpacing 360 Blops.

Linkup said:
DE:HR would be lucky to break 1 million. Bunch of PC fans bought it day 1 with all the hype and on the consoles it passed a fart then left the room. Game is going to drop like a rock and the sequel probably just got cancelled.

The team is making Thief 4 right now so there's not a sequel to cancel.

thirty

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
YTD

DS 2,518,732
360 3,008,214
PS3 2,060,948
Wii 2,124,870
3DS 1,157,000

LTD

DS 49,823,483
360 28,403,373
PS3 17,522,921
Wii 36,274,494
3DS 1,157,000
wow 360 will break 30m this year. What was og xbrick's ltd?

Makes you wonder when Sony is gonna drop the price to the magical 199. Numbers make me sad tho, PS3 for the new price is awesome value. Also would be interesting to know the effect Kinect still has on 360.

Jeels

Wow, number 1 is less than 300k? I don't remember August's being this bad, even after Madden taking #1.

Deadbeat

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Dead Island is currently sold out in Vancouver it seems.
You forgot that Deep Silver is the publisher. They probably fucked up the amount of copies Square-Enix got to ship the game out.

see5harp

Adam Blade said:
Gears gets what, a few days of sales compared to R3 next month, right?

R3 is getting incredible user reviews here on GAF. Loudninja, in particular, has been extolling the virtues of the game, and we all know he won't do that unless the game is truly good. I mean, with a stellar and compact 6 hour campaign and MP that is surely improved from the broken beta... Gears stands no chance.

O wait you are being serious. "...user reviews here on GAF." Loudninja surely is a source of great influence. R2 had almost universal praise from the press at large and probably didn't even break 1 million sales lifetime in North America.

Top Bottom