• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

Kusagari

Warm Machine said:
Dead Island is currently sold out in Vancouver it seems.

People are saying its sold out everywhere. Even Amazon has the 360 one backordered for 2-3 weeks.

What do people think it will sell in Sept?

trw

Gamer @ Heart said:
As son as i popped in i went "Yay!" at DXHR, then seeing that number killed that elation. That is not good. Knowing it was only 5 days helped me feel a little better, but not by much. Hopefully it has legs and PC sales are great. This game was in development for 4+ years by a huge team. Its not a Rockstar need 4 million sales to turn a profit situation, but there is no way ~400k is what SE expected.

The 4 million from Rockstar is total worldwide. If you count in digital sales and european sales I think deus ex is on the way of selling pretty well, all depends on how much SE projected it to sell though.

Adam Blade said:
Gears gets what, a few days of sales compared to R3 next month, right?

R3 is getting incredible user reviews here on GAF. Loudninja, in particular, has been extolling the virtues of the game, and we all know he won't do that unless the game is truly good. I mean, with a stellar and compact 6 hour campaign and MP that is surely improved from the broken beta... Gears stands no chance.

You aren't being serious right?

If you go in expecting R3 to even sniff Gears 3 you're in for some serious disappointment. Resistance 3 could get rave reviews across the board and Gears could be slandered and it still wouldn't make a lick of difference to this outcome.

Rhindle

Jtyettis said:
About right. IIRC, Donny told me 14.5M~.
14,500,480 (last reported number)

OldJadedGamer said:
Gears 1 also pushed a million in it's first month with a userbase of only 3 million at the time.
Ordinarily, I'd say Gears should beat out Madden. But EA has been discounting Madden heavily and says sales are up over last year, so who knows.

Poimandres said:

If you go in expecting R3 to even sniff Gears 3 you're in for some serious disappointment. Resistance 3 could get rave reviews across the board and Gears could be slandered and it still wouldn't make a lick of difference to this outcome.

of course he isn't given he's taking crazy shots at Loudninja.

at least i hope he isn't.

duk

Banned
well i doubt gow3 will beat madden on both consoles combined, maybe single best selling sku on a console however

Gears 3 is doing at least 2 million next month. Maybe closer to 2.5. Quote me on it.

Deus Ex kind of flopped. Anyone who thinks it made up for it digitally is deluding themselves.

Massa

Poimandres said:

He's just trolling.

Kambing

Damn, that $50 price cut did not seem to boost PS3 sales at all... hope this is not a sign of things to come this holiday season, that would seriously suck for Sony. Microsoft are doing brilliantly this year, and is looking like it will break 30m. With the 3DS price cut, this surely will make for an interesting Q4.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Kambing said:
Damn, that $50 price cut did not seem to boost PS3 sales at all... hope this is not a sign of things to come this holiday season, that would seriously suck for Sony. Microsoft are doing brilliantly this year, and is looking like it will break 30m. With the 3DS price cut, this surely will make for an interesting Q4.
The sales almost doubled during those two weeks when price was being reduced, if we assume the first two weeks of Aug PS3 was being sold as fast as July's average.

I know it's still early, but hopefully the industry starts to see an uptick as things ramp up towards christmas. Those are some sad numbers.

Hopefully Gears 3 puts up some big numbers.

Seems like a terrible month all round. I think that releasing Deus Ex in August might have been a backfire, but I suppose it could be worse if it released in Q4. Shame as it's GOTY.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Seems like a terrible month all round. I think that releasing Deus Ex in August might have been a backfire, but I suppose it could be worse if it released in Q4. Shame as it's GOTY.
I think Deus Ex's biggest problem wasn't its time of year, but rather that it was two years too late.

Unless you have an incredibly strong brand (Medal of Honor) or an incredibly strong brand name (Rockstar), this is a bad time to launch new and revived IPs.

MrCookiepants said:
Gears 3 is doing at least 2 million next month. Maybe closer to 2.5. Quote me on it.

Deus Ex kind of flopped. Anyone who thinks it made up for it digitally is deluding themselves.

Flopped and bomba are used way to fucking often on here. 250K just retail in 5 days
in one region is not a flop by any sensible means. WW and digital sales, will make this a success. under performer? i think so. Flop? No fucking way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gamer @ Heart said:
Flopped and bomba are used way to fucking often on here. 250K just retail in 5 days
in one region is not a flop by any sensible means. WW and digital sales, will make this a success. under performer? i think so. Flop? No fucking way.
Consider that Bulletstorm sold 285.6K in a similar NPD timeframe, was developed in Poland, didn't take four years to develop like Deus Ex did, and still didn't make money.

Profitability may not be Square Enix's goal with this iteration, since establishing the brand for cheaper to make sequels is a viable strategy, but I wouldn't be surprised if the game was ultimately unprofitable.

That said, I think it will get to a million copies sold worldwide within a month and has a chance of climbing to two million on low price sales over time. Average selling price however is a problematic factor.

BurntPork

Banned
There are people expecting R3 to beat Gears 3?

mj-laughing.gif

shagg_187 said:
A prequel, a sports rehash, a milked shooter, couple of movie games, a rerelease and shit load of workout titles.

Yep. That's our generation.

Poor lil' guy, doesn't know how to look past NPD charts to actually find this has been a wonderful generation.

Nirolak said:
Consider that Bulletstorm sold 285.6K in a similar NPD timeframe, was developed in Poland, didn't take four years to develop like Deus Ex did, and still didn't make money.

Profitability may not be Square Enix's goal with this iteration, since establishing the brand for cheaper to make sequels is a viable strategy, but I wouldn't be surprised if the game was ultimately unprofitable.

That said, I think it will get to a million copies sold worldwide within a month and has a chance of climbing to two million on low price sales over time. Average selling price however is a problematic factor.

Thats what i expect. They revived the series. Its a known quantity again, which will help word of mouth and interest when the next one hopefully comes out in a couple years.

I get the feeling Dead Island will be pretty huge. Fallout 3 was in many ways the mainstream RPG of this generation - there's plenty of people I know who just play Madden and CoD who played through the entirety of Fallout 3. I reckon Dead Island will have a similar appeal. Lots of people like huge open worlds where you cause chaos.

Well. I guess I'm glad Deus Ex was number one for August, but the number is slightly disappointing. Hopefully the sales keep coming all the way through to the holiday season. Would love to see it climb above 1 million eventually...

antonz

The its only 3,4,5,6 day excuse is so damn worn out. Face it people games in this day and age short of special exceptions that go on and on and on are front loaded and never suddenly do magically better

antonz said:
The its only 3,4,5,6 day excuse is so damn worn out. Face it people games in this day and age short of special exceptions that go on and on and on are front loaded and never suddenly do magically better

It depends on the game, really. A game doesn't need a spectacular first week to have decent life time sales.

x3sphere

Remember that Deus Ex hit a peak of around 52K *concurrent* users playing on PC during launch week. That, to me, suggests at least 150-200K sell through on PC. Unless the 360 and PS3 versions barely scrapped around 50K each I'd be surprised if a significant number of digital units weren't moved.

Iksenpets

Banned
Oh wow, I was excited when I came in here and saw Deus Ex at number one, but now that I come back and see the actual number attached with it... that's actually really disappointing.

flyinpiranha said:
Poor lil' guy, doesn't know how to look past NPD charts to actually find this has been a wonderful generation.

LOL. Yeah, this generation has been indeed amazing, and sales don't matter to me quite honestly. This fall is going to be BRUTAL for my wallet.

watership

Puppet Shadow said:
Yup, that accounts for most sales I'm sure. The offer ended September 3rd, so next month expect to see Microsoft's numbers plummet.

Okay, i'm officially lost my sarcasm detection. This is sarcasm right?

Puppet Shadow said:
Yup, that accounts for most sales I'm sure. The offer ended September 3rd, so next month expect to see Microsoft's numbers plummet.

Eye no rite? With the amazing Resistance 3 and the carry on from the $50 price slashing and freshly stocked supplies to meet the insatiable demand for the Triple and without any of Msofts dirty tricks the PS3 is going to devour the 360 next month!!!

Top Bottom