• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

AHA-Lambda

Good numbers for DSII and Sleeping Dogs? They don't seem too strong, especially DSII when hope of a sequel is so dependent on this games success. At least Sleeping Dogs seems to be doing really well in the UK from what I can see.

No MW3 is a shocker though, very curious to see how the sales figures pan out for Black Ops II now after MW3.

wingz

Hopefully Sleeping Dogs did well enough to warrant a sequel. I personally though it would be a little higher. HOW IS BLACK OPS ON THE LIST?

Frillen

I found an old article saying that New Super Bros DS sold for nearly 9.5 million dollar in the first NDP month. It had a retail price of $39.99, so that would be about 235k. Since then, NSMB and NSMB Wii have been huge sellers, so i'm not sure how comparable it is when concidering these things, but raw numbers seems to be about the same. Maybe NSMB DS also counted for some extra days in the NPD month, but i'm not 100% sure about it.

New Super Mario Bros was out for 14 days during the May 2006 NPD. So double the days of NSMB2.

MRORANGE

Can't believe Sleeping Dogs is not higher, the game just looks amazing and plays better than any other sandbox game to date.

It's like a next-gen shenmue city:

if9VAGXL1Yotv.gif

Penguin

New Super Mario Bros 2 maybe a little disappointing ?

It's hard to read, since there's really only 2 other games in the series. NSMB DS released in May and sold 276k units.

NSMB Wii launched in Nov and think was just shy of a million when it released.

So it's more in line with the DS version due to timing and system, but who knows if it will show those legs.

Is this the month the price drop went into effect for the 3ds last year?

Not surprised that Mario and a new model didn't do as much for hardware since the XL is more expensive. People want cheaper harware.

I hope all 3 console makers are paing attention and don't introduce their hardware at crazy prices.

Does this mean the CoD bubble burst, or is the average CoD gamer much more discerning than Activision thought? I never played MW3, don't know what opinions on it are like.

MW3 was pretty poorly receieved among players despite having higher preorders than Blops 1, I think. I also remember reading that Blops 2 preorders are higher than MW3 as well, so whether or not the bubble is burst is still up in the air.

antonz

3DS is between 124k and 235k as it did not grow YOY and in 2011 it sold 235K and they said it sold better than July 2012

the console market is in serious trouble

Overdoing consoles to the point where you need 7+ year generations just to try and make money is a huge issue. Hopefully they have learned and dont repeat it again

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So the 3DS continues to sell like shit, despite having two exclusive games in the Top 10 AND a redesign.

Welp.

How are you jumping to this conclusion?

People expecting DS-like sales in a world with iOS systems fighting for market share is out of their mind. This is the new normal.

Elios83

2012 is dead for home consoles.
All major titles have been pushed to next year. 2013 will be the swan song for current gen systems and then a new cycle will begin, hopefully bringing growth.

NSMB2 deserves to disappoint, and Black Ops deserves to destroy MW3. Shut this industry down, gentlemen. It's over.

Well, after Pikmin 3. Then it's over.

Could the 3DS have sold more than the 360? The 360 PR specifically states it sold more than any "current generation console" and the 3DS (and Vita) are next generation handhelds.

The XL, Mario, and Kingdom Hearts did come out...

Sean

Banned
It's good. The sales in Europe were really strong too.

Placing at #6 in top 10 seems pretty decent, but then when you learn the best-selling game that month only sold 247,000 units... I'm not so sure anymore.

I'd like to see a sequel to Sleeping Dogs so hopefully it sells well enough for that.

I sincerely hope NSMB2 underperforms Nintendo's expectations; otherwise, it would encourage the Big N to produce more underwhelming cash-ins and discourage them from innovating.

Miles X

Could the 3DS have sold more than the 360? The 360 PR specifically states it sold more than any "current generation console" and the 3DS (and Vita) are next generation handhelds.

The XL, Mario, and Kingdom Hearts did come out...

May well have, wouldn't take notice of what MS PR say though, they've been saying that current generation line for months now, isn't a new thing.

fernoca

Is this the month the price drop went into effect for the 3ds last year?

Not surprised that Mario and a new model didn't do as much for hardware since the XL is more expensive. People want cheaper harware.

I hope all 3 console makers are paing attention and don't introduce their hardware at crazy prices.
Frazier noted:

“The 3DS XL launched on 8/19 and represented 44 percent of total 3DS unit sales, which is noteworthy given the fact that only seven days of 3DS sales are captured in this report.”

Mario was out the same timeframe, so the "under 240k" for Mario in under 7 days seems to be on par with the original DS verison, which also was released under similar circumstances: Mid/later in the month, along a new revision. Legs and holidays-sales will show a better picture (or a worse one :p).

I sincerely hope NSMB2 underperforms Nintendo's expectations; otherwise, it would encourage the Big N to produce more underwhelming cash-ins and discourage them from innovating.

Oh right, like the other NSMB titles prevented them from releasing TWO Galaxy games on a single console (compared to only 1 NSMB title) and SM3DL way before NSMB2...

Top Bottom