• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Don't worry, the Wii A version is going to sell 3 million alone.

3DS: <235k

Read my edit above. This is the new normal. We're never seeing DS-like sales numbers again.

AHA-Lambda

MW3 was pretty poorly receieved among players despite having higher preorders than Blops 1, I think. I also remember reading that Blops 2 preorders are higher than MW3 as well, so whether or not the bubble is burst is still up in the air.

I'm still not sure if that's just a minority opinion tbh, MW3 is still the constant leader every month on Xbox LIVE activity charts. Plus these complaints are lobbied at every CoD game each year, I remember people saying the exact same stuff about MW2.

I'm wondering if the bubble has just started to deflate, the Black Ops II numbers will be very interesting. Hype for that seems to be nowhere near as high as MW3, retailers have kept quite quiet about it too; usually they would be bragging about record pre-orders after all, but they have been relatively hush.

DR2K

Banned
New hardware isn't going to save consoles. Ask the Vita. The problem is price and it still won't go down.

legend166

I feel like the problem with the console industry is that everyone can see that it's contracting, but the response from developers and hardware manufacturers seems to include spending MORE money on things. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just think, if the Wii U doesn't light the charts on fire, we have another year of this!

If the Wii U manages to take off with the public they seem to be in prime position when looking at how bored consumers seem to be with the current industry.

Big "if," though.

if Wii U is released for $249, then Nintendo will be the smartest company ever. Looks like next gen machines are needed big time, all the IP's are suffering. Xbox 360 and PS3 need to die ASAP.

Plinko

New hardware isn't going to save consoles. Ask the Vita. The problem is price and it still won't go down.

Exactly. Depending on launch prices, all three companies may be screwed with their next-gen offerings, although the rumor of Wii U at $249 could be interesting.

It is amazing to me how fast the industry seems to be falling.

Bigfoot

August 2012 U.S. NPD highlights:
· Xbox 360 sold 193,000 units in August, more units than any other current generation console, and held 48 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S. This marks the 18th consecutive month that Xbox 360 has held more than a 40 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, August 2012)

So does this mean PS3 + Wii = 209,000?

yon61

Expected considering how long its been. We are getting ready to enter the 8th year for this gen.

I really don't think it's soley down to old consoles - the software sales just aren't there. We have two next generation handhelds on the market also, and one of them is pretty much dead while the other has still not established itself properly...

There is a much deeper problem

The big question is whether the Wii U can reignite things, and I am personally not expecting that

braves01

Banned
Exactly. Depending on launch prices, all three companies may be screwed with their next-gen offerings, although the rumor of Wii U at $249 could be interesting.

It is amazing to me how fast the industry seems to be falling.

Do people think that iPad and Kindle games eating into the home console market in addition to fatigue with this generation of hardware?

I'm still not sure if that's just a minority opinion tbh, MW3 is still the constant leader every month on Xbox LIVE activity charts. Plus these complaints are lobbied at every CoD game each year, I remember people saying the exact same stuff about MW2.

I'm wondering if the bubble has just started to deflate, the Black Ops II numbers will be very interesting. Hype for that seems to be nowhere near as high as MW3, retailers have kept quite quiet about it too; usually they would be bragging about record pre-orders after all, but they have been relatively hush.

It's possible that the two aren't unrelated. MW3 is pretty awful, and that could have hurt the brand as a whole a lot, causing the bubble to deflate. (not that other titles wouldn't love to have those numbers...)

Beth Cyra

Yikes at Fall of Cybertron.

Come on, Fall of Cybetron was pretty much expected to fail.

Even WfC didn't do that well and given how software has performed this year FoC was lucky it broke 100k.

It is sad though, probably means no more good Transformers games for a very, very long time.

I feel like the problem with the console industry is that everyone can see that it's contracting, but the response from developers and hardware manufacturers seems to include spending MORE money on things. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Instead of trying to enlarge their consumer base, they are trying to squeeze more money out of the shrinking enthusiast base. It's a short term strategy that can end only in disaster.

Plinko

If the YOY is down then wouldn't that mean we're not seeing 3DS-like sales numbers again, too?

Quite possibly, but it really depends on how close the sales numbers are to last year.

I'm absolutely positive consumers have a psychological issue with non-Apple handhelds costing over $150.

botty

Banned
Thank goodness Kingdom Hearts sold well. People were being so obnoxious when they cut the price in Japan.

I'm not sure why some think the 3DS should be doing numbers higher than it already is. The market has changed in NA, especially the portable gaming market. Expecting softwares sales numbers like the ones the DS got in NA is a thing of the past.

Subitai

So everyone is playing BF3 on the superior platform?

Seriously, I can't see how MS and Sony can afford not to launch next year even if it is with an initial shipment lower than they'd like.

Sad to see Darksiders sitting at the top, some joy can be had at the fact that the numbers are quite miserable compared to what THQ needs. They've bet the farm on that game and sorry, but it's not a great game imo.

Kingdom Hearts 3 on a home console really needs to happen, when the 3DS and PSP spinoffs are selling truckloads in the US, you know there's gonna be a mighty appetite for a full new chapter on 360/PS3/WU

A little sad for Sleeping Dogs, it's a fan fav for sure and I hope it can come home in the end with a million+ sales.

If you're Square-Enix you are probably try happy with August. The successful launch of a new IP in Sleeping Dogs and high sales for Kingdom Hearts.

Also I'm kind of shocked Darksiders did so well. How did the first manage?

PS: For everyone shocked that NSMB2 is in 2nd, remember that this doesn't include digital sales. And, unlike the Japanese launch, Nintendo offered a TON of incentives to download it instead of buy it in store. Heck, I downloaded it so I could get double Club Nintendo points.

Plinko

Do people think that iPad and Kindle games eating into the home console market in addition to fatigue with this generation of hardware?

That's my opinion. It's why I keep saying people should stop expecting DS and Wii-like sales in the future.

Devs need to start making the appropriate changes in their philosophy when making games/budgets or the entire industry is in huge trouble.

If the YOY is down then wouldn't that mean we're not seeing 3DS-like sales numbers again, too?

Noo...because we saw a boost last year's August because it was right when the price dropped...

Is it really considered selling well where at best it sold about the same as what the BbS game did in the first month?

What was the PSP fanbase when BBS was released? It was a mid/late gen PSP game

Top Bottom