• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

donny2112

How much did the GC version sell in total?

Worldwide?

GC: 1,600,000
PS2: 2,200,000
Wii: 1,900,000

An important question to ask is "How much did the pre-release announcement of the PS2 version of RE4 hurt GCN RE4 sales?," though.

Now, there was never any question that the game could sell more on PS2 than GCN, but the pre-release announcement still goes down in infamy as a total blockheaded move by Capcom. Regardless, the port to PS2 was never because the GCN version sold poorly and Capcom needed to make back the budget.

The last official tie-in ratio we got was 8.8, almost 3 years ago.

That was an NPD tie ratio. We've never gotten a worldwide tie ratio for 360 (at least that I've seen).

Also, how do pack-ins work on NPD? Does it only count official pack-ins included in the box? If Best Buy decided to give you 3 free games with your 360 (as they often do, at least in Canada), do those three games count as individual software sales or pack-ins on NPD?

If it's included in the box by the manufacturer, it's listed as a separate line in the hardware results to subscribers. It's not included in their publicly reported software numbers, though. If a retailer makes a bundle, then it's included by NPD in the software sales.

PSP version outsold 3DS KH even here,

225 > 225?

Okay!

An important question to ask is "How much did the pre-release announcement of the PS2 version of RE4 hurt GCN RE4 sales?," though
Now, there was never any question that the game could sell more on PS2 than GCN, but the pre-release announcement still goes down in infamy as a total blockheaded move by Capcom. Regardless, the port to PS2 was never because the GCN version sold poorly and Capcom needed to make back the budget.

The RE4 PS2 announcement was made as part of Capcom reporting their mid-year results for that fiscal year. Their goal was presumably to reassure investors by not confining a major AAA release to a platform that had been underperforming for three years at the time. Makes sense to me.

Did anything actually relevant to npd get posted in the last few pages or was it just pages of crazy Miku talk as it seemed like from skimming...
KH DDD tie with KH BBS is impressive.
in what way, I thought it was generally accepted PSP was dead for software in the US.

Jigsaw

Banned
180k was only the standard edition

225k was only the standard edition

npd never tracks hardware bundles and there was one for bbs too

DSC09970.jpg

Extend sold 180k, that's where that number comes from. The "Best debut" comment as explained in the second post would've included all forms the game sold in that wouldn't show up on a sales chart (Bundles which would be higher than PD2nd did because it's the first release for the system, and digital sales which are more prevalent now). I gave a range of 180k-200k for MC because it wasn't a formal prediction for the competition so much as me laying out my expectations (Which I acknowledged in the third post you mentioned, weren't met). Even if you were to go with the high-end prediction of 200k I'd still only be off by 25%, which while isn't close doesn't warrant his scoffing and back-patting across multiple threads.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
One of the systems was dead, the other is doing alright. I think it's just people getting fed up with Square's bullshit.

"Dead" doesn't change the userbase being much larger, though.

I agree with you on the point about Square being ridiculously stupid with the series.

Eternia

Extend sold 180k, that's where that number comes from. The "Best debut" comment as explained in the second post would've included all forms the game sold in that wouldn't show up on a sales chart (Bundles which would be higher than PD2nd did because it's the first release for the system, and digital sales which are more prevalent now). I gave a range of 180k-200k for MC because it wasn't a formal prediction for the competition so much as me laying out my expectations (Which I acknowledged in the third post you mentioned, weren't met). Even if you were to go with the high-end prediction of 200k I'd still only be off by 25%, which while isn't close doesn't warrant his scoffing and back-patting across multiple threads.
As far as I understand, bundles are included in that number however digital sales were at around 10% (of 160k) first week so you'll get that. Still quite a difference away.

Ridley327

225k was only the standard edition

npd never tracks hardware bundles and there was one for bbs too

Nintendo only reported the sales of the standard version of 3D; for whatever reason, they didn't lump in the sales of the Mark of Mastery edition, which is definitely not a hardware bundle and would be counted towards the overall NPD total.

"Dead" doesn't change the userbase being much larger, though.
In reference to the degree to which there was an active consumer userbase that's purchasing software and in the case of the PSP there wasn't much to speak of i.e. dead - ergo yes, it does for all intents and purposes nullify the larger installed base.

Jigsaw

Banned
Nintendo only reported the sales of the standard version of 3D; for whatever reason, they didn't lump in the sales of the Mark of Mastery edition, which is definitely not a hardware bundle and would be counted towards the overall NPD total.

ah, i thought the mastery edition included a 3ds for whatever reason oO

still, we don't know the total bbs numbers with the bundle,or has anyone info on how many they shipped?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In reference to the degree to which there was an active consumer userbase that's purchasing software and in the case of the PSP there wasn't much to speak of i.e. dead - ergo yes, it does for all intents and purposes nullify the larger installed base.

We'll agree to disagree on this one. I don't buy the argument that people went, "Hey--you see that new great game for the PSP that I haven't played in ages? I'm not buying it. Why? Because there hasn't been any other great software released recently for the same system!"

Makes no sense.

We'll agree to disagree on this one. I don't buy the argument that people went, "Hey--you see that new great game for the PSP that I haven't played in ages? I'm not buying it. Why? Because there hasn't been any other great software released recently for the same system!"

Makes no sense.

That's not how it happens. After a while of there being no games people end up just giving up on the device and leaving it to the side. So even if a game did come out that they like they are unlikely to notice it and even if they did it might not be enough to get them to pull it back out.

That's why it's important not to have massive software droughts for your system because eventually people will just give up on it.

Dalthien

ah, i thought the mastery edition included a 3ds for whatever reason oO

still, we don't know the total bbs numbers with the bundle,or has anyone info on how many they shipped?

I don't remember ever seeing how many they shipped, but the PSP only sold 100k total hardware that month of September, and the weekly average for September was pretty much identical with the weekly averages for both the July and August preceding it.

So the KH bundle certainly didn't push any hardware, and the PSP sales itself for the month were low - so the bundle sales weren't anything to be concerned about.

Makes no sense.

The difference between user base and install base makes no sense to you?

Plinko

That's not how it happens. After a while of there being no games people end up just giving up on the device and leaving it to the side. So even if a game did come out that they like they are unlikely to notice it and even if they did it might not be enough to get them to pull it back out.

That's why it's important not to have massive software droughts for your system because eventually people will just give up on it.

What other examples of this do we have? Didn't Skyward Sword sell pretty well on a "dead" system?

What other examples of this do we have? Didn't Skyward Sword sell pretty well on a "dead" system?

The wii is a perfect example, just look at its software sles in general. One game selling decently well doesn't prove anything.

I'm not saying this is some hard and fast rule but in general when a system sees software droughts and loses its mindshare software sales can take a permanent hit.

Makes no sense.
How does there being a difference between installed base numbers and active userbase make no sense? Is selling better than PS2 SKUs impressive nowadays as well?

In relative terms to the installed base, Skyward Sword sold poorly; presumably because the active userbase for such games had dwindled.

Compare that to the software for the demographic that had consistent releases, e.g. as noted above Just Dance.

Plinko

How does there being a difference between installed base numbers and active userbase make no sense?

In relative terms to the installed base, Skyward Sword sold poorly; presumably because the active userbase for such games had dwindled.

How are we defining active userbase? Are you basing it on total software sales at the time? Just trying to see your thought process here.

CronoShot

Regarding the sega says Project Diva F has poor sales thing there was a follow up on that same twitter account to clear things up.

https://twitter.com/nakanohito_1go/status/243363860877291520

My amature rough translation is: "There seems to be a misunderstanding. There will be more to buy in the future. Its because we aim to be the best selling Vita game of 2012."

The tweets that started all of this had nothing about dropping support and the blogger just added that assumption on his own. It could just mean DLC but it still makes it sound a lot less harsh than at first.
Lofty ambitions, to be sure.

Many on GAF argue the Wii died in 2010.

And 6 months ago many on GAF argued that smartphones weren't affecting the dedicated gaming handheld business.

We're in a sales thread, we can use actual sales to back up arguments instead of moronic GAF opinions.

How are we defining active userbase? Are you basing it on total software sales at the time? Just trying to see your thought process here.

Active user base is defined by the phrase itself. The user base that is actively using the console

It's self-explanatory.

If you're asking for a specific metric, perhaps monthly software sales or tie ratio delta would be appropriate.

It's really no secret both the hardware and software markets for the PSP collapsed and this occurred predominantly prior to BbS's launch.

pixelbox

Wii Fit is a stand-alone title so why shouldn't it be counted?

Mad World is an ultra violent M-rated action game a with very different art style. It's too different to be a huge success on any platform (=niche).

I can build a game from the ground up for Wii but it still doesn't make it a good game, does it? Are you seriously wondering why such a mediocre game (http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-conduit) wasn't a commercial success?

3rd parties avoiding Wii has been discussed dozens of times earlier in GAF. Main reason: Wii was a surprise success; everyone was expecting it to fail and PS3 to take the lead. Thus, software wasn't there when Wii launched, and it never came. Half-assed ports, quick cash-ins and bad to mediocre games were used as justifications to prove that 3rd parties cannot success on Wii (which is not true since Wii owners responded to good games ie. RE4 Wii, MonHun Tri, Epic Mickey etc.) There was a huge chunk of money on the table with the Wii for developers and publishers to take, but they refused to take it and kept betting for HD consoles. It's not that simple, but some of those bad decisions made this list as long as it is: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459131

Wii was there to offer a cheaper way to create video games for example for smaller companies compared to higher dev costs on HD consoles. Video game industry is heading for a crash, or into a situation where only safe sure-to-be-hit sequels (for example see: Call of Duty) are made anymore:

Doooooooooooooomed-1.jpg
Once again wii fit isn't really a video game, so why should it? Plus it's still first party and on that console they are the only games that sell. The wii had 60 million users, rather it was a surprise or not developers couldnt deny that. Software should have come and theyve tried (third party). The userbase didn't want it so that tells you a couole things. who are the users? are they gamers? going back to the developers they could have made games for it for dirt cheap, i mean the userbase is hard to ignore. But the userbase didn't want games apparently ane they should have been begging it (there werent any games). The userbase was full of non gamers. They couldn't care less. This Gen's numbers were inflated and is not comparative to the last, which is why we are heading for a crash.

Once again wii fit isn't really a video game, so why should it?

Lol this is so dumb. It is a video game, what you like and don't like doesn't determine what a video game is.

Plus it's still first party and on that console they are the only games that sell.

Which matters why? All that matters is total software sales this gen in this discussion. It' not as if nintendo is going anywhere.

The wii had 60 million users, rather it was a surprise or not developers couldnt deny that. Software should have come and theyve tried (third party). The userbase didn't want it so that tells you a couole things. who are the users? are they gamers? going back to the developers they could have made games for it for dirt cheap, i mean the userbase is hard to ignore. But the userbase didn't want games apparently ane they should have been begging it (there werent any games). The userbase was full of non gamers. They couldn't care less.

What were the 30 million people who bought mario kart and NSMBwii?

This Gen's numbers were inflated and is not comparative to the last, which is why we are heading for a crash.

The market isn't heading for a crash. The numbers also aren't inflated, just because some games that you don't like sold well doesn't mean they don't count.

Even if you want to discount the wii X line (which is complete bullshit) that's only a fraction of the software sold this gen between PS3/360/wii.

You clearly have an agenda which you are trying to force the numbers to fit into.

Taurus

Once again wii fit isn't really a video game, so why should it? Plus it's still first party and on that console they are the only games that sell. The wii had 60 million users, rather it was a surprise or not developers couldnt deny that. Software should have come and theyve tried (third party). The userbase didn't want it so that tells you a couole things. who are the users? are they gamers? going back to the developers they could have made games for it for dirt cheap, i mean the userbase is hard to ignore. But the userbase didn't want games apparently ane they should have been begging it (there werent any games). The userbase was full of non gamers. They couldn't care less. This Gen's numbers were inflated and is not comparative to the last, which is why we are heading for a crash.
Wii Fit is a video game, just like Eye Toy games, Kinect games and PS Move games. But let's play along; tell me what Wii Fit is, if not a video game? Wikipedia isn't always right, but this time I'm trusting what it tells me: "Wii Fit (Wiiフィット?) is a video game developed by Nintendo for the company's home video game console, Wii." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Fit)

Wii didn't have 60 million users in one night. Launch and following months were crazy, but according to publishers Wii was supposed to be a bubble that would burst in any second. Word "fad" was used thousands of times when talking about the Wii. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wii+fad, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wii+bubble+burst)

What 3rd party games for Wii did YOU expect to sell, well let's say comparable sales with best HD console 3rd party games? Where was Wii's Red Dead Redemption? GTA? Final Fantasy? Metal Gear Solid? Real Call of Duty? All Wii got from 3rd parties was puzzle games (Boom Blox, Zack&Wiki), niche games (Mad World, No More Heroes), half-assed simplified ports (Madden, CoD: Reflex) and shitloads of shovelware.

Who was buying 20-30 million NSMBWs, Mario Kart Wiis and Wii Fits if not gamers? Those are awesome numbers for games to sell for a 90 million install base. Even Wii tie ratio is comparable to HD consoles' tie ratio, which means Wii owners bought games just like "gamers" do. (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23308#.UEyAn43iY8o <- old data, find newer one if you will)

Wii Fit is 100% a video game. People are cheap when complaining about it. Its a good product thats also got a fun and accessible side.

Nothing wrong with Nintendo selling that product. People are just a bit cheap when complaining about it imo. The fact is, and its very simple - Wii was the console that introduced the idea behind hardware/software as a box under your TV to many people. This same audience can be grabbed again imo; you just need new/different software for them.

There isn't going to be a 'crash' as these consumers will still consume software and hardware. Its just a question of whether anyone markets to them and frankly its not Nintendo/MS's fault third parties didn't expand into that area (other than Ubisoft).

So....Vita is dead in the US? Amazon has the Madden Bundle + MLB the Show 12 + 4GB card special that ends today, it's tempting but it does feel like i'd be buying a dead system.

Honestly? From a European perspective, importing Persona 4 Gold and Virtue's Last Reward along with buying back catalogue PSP (and PS1) stuff from the endless sales Sony of Europe has going on. From an American perspective, you can strike everything bar P4G off that list, since Sony of America don't know the meaning of the word "sale" and you're getting the 3DS version of VLR while we have to hope there's a publishing deal so that version might get a release at some point in 2014.

Wii was the console that introduced the idea behind hardware/software as a box under your TV to many people. This same audience can be grabbed again imo; you just need new/different software for them.

There isn't going to be a 'crash' as these consumers will still consume software and hardware. Its just a question of whether anyone markets to them and frankly its not Nintendo/MS's fault third parties didn't expand into that area (other than Ubisoft).
There won't be a 'crash', because the traditional market hasn't particularly collapsed, imo, it's just long in the tooth with regard to this hardware cycle.

However, the other point about whether the audience captured by the Wii will return is yet to be proven.

pixelbox

People are still leaving the Wii out of the equation? Some things just don't change...
I and many others saw what nintendo was doing, it just didn't work out. Imo, every GEN had a console that sold great because it brought something to the table that was industry shattering. SNES brought, SMB, TLoZ, and DK. SEGA GEN brought Sonic. PS1 brought TEKKEN, TR, FF, GT, RE. N64 brought SM64, SSB, PD, Z64, GE. See the trend? What did the Wii bring? Casuals? Because they were alrady there. A new way of playing? No one used it. It added nothing to the table although as someone pointed out even if you removed it, the industry will still be comparable at the very least.

Miles X

There won't be a 'crash', because the traditional market hasn't particularly collapsed, imo, it's just long in the tooth with regard to this hardware cycle.

However, the other point about whether the audience captured by the Wii will return is yet to be proven.

I agree, so many 3rd party 'core' games are doing so well, COD is doing 25m+ on PS360? GTA never reached those heights last gen.

I and many others saw what nintendo was doing, it just didn't work out. Imo, every GEN had a console that sold great because it brought something to the table that was industry shattering. SNES brought, SMB, TLoZ, and DK. SEGA GEN brought Sonic. PS1 brought TEKKEN, TR, FF, GT, RE. N64 brought SM64, SSB, PD, Z64, GE. See the trend? What did the Wii bring? Casuals? Because they were alrady there. A new way of playing? No one used it. It added nothing to the table although as someone pointed out even if you removed it, the industry will still be comparable at the very least.
It brought the industry to levels that was never reached before, thats nothing to you? Some of the best games were on Wii, so I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing here.

pixelbox

Lol this is so dumb. It is a video game, what you like and don't like doesn't determine what a video game is.

Which matters why? All that matters is total software sales this gen in this discussion. It' not as if nintendo is going anywhere.

What were the 30 million people who bought mario kart and NSMBwii?

The market isn't heading for a crash. The numbers also aren't inflated, just because some games that you don't like sold well doesn't mean they don't count.

Even if you want to discount the wii X line (which is complete bullshit) that's only a fraction of the software sold this gen between PS3/360/wii.

You clearly have an agenda which you are trying to force the numbers to fit into.
1. Has nothing to do with what I like. By your definition, A game is just a set of directions to follow...Like operating a remote or driving a car.

2. Numbers are not ever "all that matters". The fact is the Wii has a huge install base and rather or not you want to argue about compelling software, nothing but Nintendo games sold. No one else got a chance. Coupled with the fact that some of the games mentioned were bundled and for free, so it's not like the price for the game was included.

3. Those games were angled at a certain demographic.

4.You're right, but the industry as we know it might. And I don't like where it's heading.

5. No agenda, just trying to make sense of this downward spiral like the rest of us in the thread.

pixelbox

It brought the industry to levels that was never reached before, thats nothing to you? Some of the best games were on Wii, so I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing here.
It exposed the industry to many new people. That is something. But failed to maintain it's new userbase. And those games were indeed great, but non really needed the Wiimote which is how the exposure happened.

1. Has nothing to do with what I like. By your definition, A game is just a set of directions to follow...Like operating a remote or driving a car.

I never gave my definition. The first one i found online is 'An electronic or computerized game played by manipulating images on a video display or television screen'. Wii fiit seems to fit to me. The onus is on you to explain why wii fit doesn't fit that description.

2. Numbers are not ever "all that matters". The fact is the Wii has a huge install base and rather or not you want to argue about compelling software, nothing but Nintendo games sold. No one else got a chance. Coupled with the fact that some of the games mentioned were bundled and for free, so it's not like the price for the game was included.

You're talking about the size of the industry relative to last gen. It doesn't matter if it was 1st or 3rd party sales, the industry has grown heaps. You can't just discount nintendo as they will still be there next gen.

3. Those games were angled at a certain demographic.

Which is? Seems as though there were quite a few wii owners who wanted to play games besides wii X.

4.You're right, but the industry as we know it might. And I don't like where it's heading.

Where is it heading? We know nothing about the next xbox or playstation. For all you know it could be a standard generation. I get it you don't like motion controls and neither do i but there are more traditional games being made than ever before.

5. No agenda, just trying to make sense of this downward spiral like the rest of us in the thread.

Fair enough but i disagree with the reasons for it. The main factor to me is saturation, this gen has lasted longer than previous ones and has sold more HW by far than ever before (and remains at a high price point). It was always going to slow down at some point. Then there is the slow economic period and increasing competition (tablets and the like) and you end up with the market slowing down.

I agree that the market was slightly inflated by the wii and i do wonder with next gen can reach the same heights as this one. I disagree that last gen was somehow superior to this one either quality or sales wise.

It exposed the industry to many new people. That is something. But failed to maintain it's new userbase. And those games were indeed great, but non really needed the Wiimote which is how the exposure happened.

This is kinda true but we won't really know the extent of the drop off until next gen.

If the casuals were already there and the Wii didn't add anything, why were Sony and Microsoft so eager to go after that demographic with Kinect and Move? Just by watching the last few E3s it is hard to argue the lack of influence the Wii had, specifically in regard to motion control.

pixelbox

Wii Fit is a video game, just like Eye Toy games, Kinect games and PS Move games. But let's play along; tell me what Wii Fit is, if not a video game? Wikipedia isn't always right, but this time I'm trusting what it tells me: "Wii Fit (Wii&#12501;&#12451;&#12483;&#12488;?) is a video game developed by Nintendo for the company's home video game console, Wii." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Fit)

Wii didn't have 60 million users in one night. Launch and following months were crazy, but according to publishers Wii was supposed to be a bubble that would burst in any second. Word "fad" was used thousands of times when talking about the Wii. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wii+fad, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wii+bubble+burst)

What 3rd party games for Wii did YOU expect to sell, well let's say comparable sales with best HD console 3rd party games? Where was Wii's Red Dead Redemption? GTA? Final Fantasy? Metal Gear Solid? Real Call of Duty? All Wii got from 3rd parties was puzzle games (Boom Blox, Zack&Wiki), niche games (Mad World, No More Heroes), half-assed simplified ports (Madden, CoD: Reflex) and shitloads of shovelware.

Who was buying 20-30 million NSMBWs, Mario Kart Wiis and Wii Fits if not gamers? Those are awesome numbers for games to sell for a 90 million install base. Even Wii tie ratio is comparable to HD consoles' tie ratio, which means Wii owners bought games just like "gamers" do. (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23308#.UEyAn43iY8o <- old data, find newer one if you will)
My apologies, Wii fit is a game(by definition). Which is any software that uses a microchip that is controlled via keyboard, joystick, or other to manipulate characters or on screen options. There's just so much of a jarring difference in software numbers between 1st and 3rd parties. One of those games should have sold atleast a third of 1st party's imho.

Jigsaw

Banned
I don't remember ever seeing how many they shipped, but the PSP only sold 100k total hardware that month of September, and the weekly average for September was pretty much identical with the weekly averages for both the July and August preceding it.

that's bs since npd stopped tracking psp sales by then already,we don't have psp numbers at all

PSP - Unknown. Estimates between 79,400-190,400 based on reports that numbers are better than August, 2010 but worse than September, 2009.

Top Bottom