• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2011 Sales Results [Up5: Star Wars: The Old Republic Sales]

It's crazy how utterly predictable NPD results are getting these days. Not specific numbers, just the games that appear on the top 10 and whatnot.
This is bound to happen when you combine multiplatform titles together. The lists used to be varied and had way more Nintendo titles until they clustered titles together.

It was much better the old way, but thems the breaks.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Didn't enjoy mk7 much (too much of the same, m3dl was much better) but glad its helping the 3ds

jman2050

Seems like Microsoft still hasn't completely broken into the massive holiday shopping season like the PS2/DS did in their heydays.

Actually, isn't 1.7 mil less than last month?

Seems to be that the whole games industry has plummeted this year/december. Only the 3DS seems to be the newcomer that can compensate the losses a bit.

markatisu

Figured things would be down for Dec, retailers bascially gave things away in November. You had big name games for $25-30, systems for big discount with games and gift cards.

AniHawk

i wonder if the 360's crazy momentum that started in 2010 is starting to slow down a little.

maybe the kinect bundle will go to $200 this year. i still think ms should launch their new console this year.

@jimreilly Jim Reilly
Xbox 360 sold more than 1.7 million units in December.
Bomba?

6d649e1f3070807922a39fdc1172bdc2edccea97_m.gif

Kazerei

Banned
Overall:

Dollar Sales Dec '10 Dec'11 CHG Annual 2010 Annual 2011 CHG

Total Video Game Sales (New Physical Channel) $5.07B $3.99B -21% $18.59B $17.02B -8%
Video Games Hardware $1.84B $1.32B -28% $6.29B $5.58B -11%
Video Games Software (Console+Portable - New Physical Sales only) $2.37B $2.04B -14% $9.36B $8.83B -6%
Video Games Accessories $863.5MM $628.7MM -27% $2.95B $2.61B -11%

Total Software Sales - (Console+Portable+PC - New Physical Sales Only) $2.53B $2.14B -15% $10.06B $9.27B -8%

I wonder how much of this drop is due to Wii falling off a cliff and the DS->3DS transition, 'cause otherwise, the Xbox 360 and PS3 have been healthy this year.

21% drop between last December and this one, but only 8% between 2010 as a whole and 2011. Looking at those numbers it seems most of that difference is because of the lower december.

AniHawk

Yeah, the others will sell less and it's only MS that must prep new console? Weird how whats good for the goose not good for the gander?

microsoft's in the best position right now. if they lose momentum, they'll still have the most going into the next generation, especially if they do it early with the right software.

if they hold off until late 2013, they probably launch with sony.

Mrbob

Yeah, the others will sell less and it's only MS that must prep new console? Weird how whats good for the goose not good for the gander?

More of a comment against the 2014 talk.

I've always thought we are way overdue for new systems. I want Sony to launch in 2012 as well.

Top Bottom