• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2011 Sales Results [Up5: Star Wars: The Old Republic Sales]

Top ten is pretty lame, shows the US buyers have game taste like they do in pop music and fast food. Lowest common denominator stuff.

This Top Ten is pretty much echoed everywhere besides Japan. Most of those games are great anyway, except JD3 which is just trash!

NIGHT-

. It also captured 49 percent of consumer retail spending, with an industry-leading $6.7 billion in sales in the U.S. for the calendar year—more than $2.1 billion on consoles and $4.6 billion on games and accessories (Source: NPD Group, December 2011).

360 is a beast

Mrbob

I'd say the disappointing aspect of the 360 hardware sales is most of us thought the ceiling for hardware would be much higher than what is actually reported. Monthly trending suggested an upward trend, but the December numbers didn't work out this way.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
this is interesting.

Turns out Kinect stuff does sell. Just hard to see it behind all the multiplats in the top 10.

7/10 is pretty dominate software though. Helps that they don't count 3DS.

Other titles in the top 10 console games Just Dance Wii, MW3 PS3 and..?

WillyFive

Wah!

594235-wall4.png

Ok, now I feel better.

Anyway, seems like this year did not do as good as last year overall.

Yea it's crazy considering 360 is putting up far better numbers than Sony

Well, I know WHY, it's because we have this huge contingent of "next Xbox needs to come as soon as possible/2012!" around here. What's odd is we dont have that same factor for Ps3. In fact if anything most people seem to wish for next Playstation to be delayed as much as possible.

NateDrake

Really disappointing December number for 360. The last time the top console in the month was this low was 2005 and 2006 as the market was transitioning to new systems. Really disappointing for a system that's supposed to be having a late generation revival and with how high it's been the rest of the year. :/

That's why the figure is so disappointing. It was moving crazy figures nearly the entire year. Expected closer to 2.5mill for December.

[Nintex]

Well, I know WHY, it's because we have this huge contingent of "next Xbox needs to come as soon as possible/2012!" around here. What's odd is we dont have that same factor for Ps3. In fact if anything most people seem to wish for next Playstation to be delayed as much as possible.

I want PS4 this year as well. The sooner devs move on to better hardware, the better.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Where's Nintendo official PR, grr.

Really surprised to see JD3 360 version in the top 10 individual chart.

It's not why at all. When was the last console to have a Nov-Dec transition like that without supply problems?

Clear

Saiyar said:
The Ps3 needs 800k to be up YoY so both it and the Wii are in the 800k to 1.2M range

Its definitely 1.2m or less because they aren't claiming YoY improvement for the month, but I'd assume its reasonably close. Wasn't a 1.1m figure mentioned somewhere recently?

Zelda already barely sells in Japan anyway. So what's it really matter?
I was under the impression that it is doing okay in the US and meh everywhere else. A Retro Zelda should do well in the West, but probably shitty in Japan(which wouldn't really matter I guess).
It takes a while to find a third job. I'm sure they're just trying to save up the necessary cash.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to say, I LOVE that Skyrim is up there still and Zelda is nowhere to be seen.

It tells Nintendo that there is still interest in Fantasy Action RPGs and they need to begin to think about why Zelda isn't performing as it should, even within the genre.

Hmm...

You can't discount Zelda coming out at what is the end of the Wii's lifecycle as far as core gamers are concerned. Too many people who might have bought Zelda sold their Wii years ago.

Meanwhile, as far as the potential audience for action-RPGs goes, EVERYONE living and dead has an Xbox or PS3.

jman2050

New systems are coming dudes, it's just a matter of when.

Either the Wii decline is a self-fulfilling prophecy or Nintendo are timing it well getting their new system out the door next year. Hell, it's probably late with how much Wii has fallen off.

I don't know why some folks here thought the 360 had a chance in hell to beat that number.
Because it sold almost a million during Black Friday week, and people thought that momentum would continue through the rest of the holidays. Obviously it just siphoned a lot of sales from December.

Deadbeat

Banned
I don't know why some folks here thought the 360 had a chance in hell to beat that number.
The 360 is actually down this year in december. It aint gonna happen with this generation. We shall see next gen.
Because it sold almost a million during Black Friday week, and people thought that momentum would continue through the rest of the holidays. Obviously it just siphoned a lot of sales from December.
Lets say all those Black Friday sales are transferred to december and those BF sales were 1 million. Thats 2.7 million. Thats not even close.

NHale

Generally, whenever a company says "over" a figure they mean "close to" that figure. Think about it: if the 360 had sold over 2 million units, wouldn't Microsoft had boasted about it?

Sure. I didn't know that number was from MS, I thought it was a number Jim Reilly calculated from a yoy percentage that would only be able to determine an interval of sales.

apana

[Nintex];34228131 said:
I want PS4 this year as well. The sooner devs move on to better hardware, the better.

I want first party and others to stay on PS3 since I just got one. These consoles have a lot of life left in them, hopefully sales are good and Sony does PS4 in early 2014. That seems like a good compromise.

Really disappointing December number for 360. The last time the top console in the month was this low was 2005 and 2006 as the market was transitioning to new systems. Really disappointing for a system that's supposed to be having a late generation revival and with how high it's been the rest of the year. :/

It's been having a 'late generation revival' for over a year now.

3.4 million units in the US over November and December suddenly isn't good?

I do think that the 1.7m number is disappointing as everyone, including myself, had anticipated more, but it certainly isn't anything to scoff at.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
2011:

360 - 7.2 million

2nd place console: 4.5 million

That is at most one million for either PS3 or Wii this month, or 1.3 million for the 3DS.

Terrible month.

That 3DS number seems incorrect. Maybe you meant 2.0 millions for 3DS.

Road

360 Nov YTD: 5.5 million

+ "over 1.7 million"

= 7.2 ~ 7.3 million for 2011.

"More than 2.7 million ahead of 2nd place"

2nd place: 4.5~4.6 million

Nov PS3 3.6 million => at most 1 million for Dec
Nov Wii: 3.5 million => at most 1.1 million for Dec
Nov 3DS: 3.2 million => at most 1.4 million for Dec .... *derp was looking at DS numbers.*

Remember these are heavily rounded numbers.

The Ps3 needs 800k to be up YoY so both it and the Wii are in the 800k to 1.2M range
Neither sold 1.2.

There are the top ranges:

Wii: 1.1 million
PS3: 1 million
3DS: 1.4 million

Cipherr

I have to say, I LOVE that Skyrim is up there still and Zelda is nowhere to be seen.

It tells Nintendo that there is still interest in Fantasy Action RPGs and they need to begin to think about why Zelda isn't performing as it should, even within the genre.

What was it about SS that you disliked so much?

[Nintex]

New systems are coming dudes, it's just a matter of when.

Either the Wii decline is a self-fulfilling prophecy or Nintendo are timing it well getting their new system out the door next year. Hell, it's probably late with how much Wii has fallen off.

Judging by the Iwata Asks on Skyward Sword, the Q4 2011 ports for Wii U and 3DS delay I say this was Nintendo's original plan:
Fall 2010 - Nintendo 3DS
Spring 2011 - Skyward Sword
Fall 2011 - Wii U

But Skyward Swords delay, Wii U's development and Nintendo 3DS's troubled launch might've ruined that party.

Scotch

Last month Xbox360 also sold 1.7M.

It's a sure sign we're already (or still) in a recession. I remember reading all the retailers gloating about this black friday being the biggest ever. They were only pulling future sales forward with their crazy deals. People that are tight on money are more inclined to go for good deals, even if that means standing in lines at midnight.

Top Bottom