• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NPD Estimate) Next Gen Consoles Break 3M in December (Wii > 360??)

Terrell

soundwave05 said:
To be fair though, one the 360 and Wii are seen as more complimentary products rather being in direct comparision. Also the 360 has no presence in Japan and a limited one in Europe. Nintendo's fast start in those two markets obviously allows them to gain faster.
And no one is to blame for that except Microsoft. They botched their early start in Japan by trying to market the console in a North American way with a lineup that had limited appeal to that market, and Japanese gamers didn't bite. I mean, there's only so many gamers who are willing to buy DoA4 to satiate their digital bewb fetish. Not sure what's going on in Europe, though.
Wii is doing what Nintendo set out to do with it... exploit the weaknesses of their competitors and putting their own weaknesses in places that the casual, lapsed and anti gaming consumer is mostly ambivalent towards.

Anyways, to the topic... Nintendo promised 4 million consoles shipped in 2006, with the largest majority going to North America... the only reason anyone should be surprised that Nintendo lived up to their end of the bargain is if they actually were foolish enough to listen to GAF... you know, that whole "easily obtainable at launch" and "no one will want one in North America, this is a console for Japan only", that sort of jazz. Nintendo is historically known for following up on or exceeding their posted sales estimates in every region, with GameCube being the only real exception to this rule. The only thing they have a history of not living up to is their release date estimates.

And I'm going on record to say that I expect at least 75 million Wii consoles sold worldwide by 2011. If I were to aim, though, we're looking at it busting 100 million, simply on the virtue that Wii has become one of the most well-recieved and fastest-selling console in Europe, a market that has traditionally suffered from a disinterest in video games despite a large and diverse population that went uncapitalized by the industry. If anything, opening the market up to lapsed and non-gamers will see the best and most amazing results on that continent, and with Nintendo being the only one capitalizing on that, the market is all theirs.

Odysseus

Banned
there is good news in all this

my tag is bound to change in a couple of days

option 1: banned
option 2: banned
option 3: member
option 4: <insert witty remark here>

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Odysseus said:
there is good news in all this

my tag is bound to change in a couple of days

option 1: banned
option 2: banned
option 3: member
option 4: <insert witty remark here>

its been good having you, good sir.

Odysseus said:
for you, a haiku

hey chrisallenfiz
i see the hammer dropping
snowman am melting

Never good to see a regular poster disappearing, even one who I usually disagree with ;)

The Mods wouldn`t delete your account even if the big 2 mill is hit, which it probably won`t be.

Drensch

&#8220;A worldwide launch for any console is quite ambitious. In fact, it has never been done before. I suppose if we had simply done a mild upgrade to the PS2 and not pushed the envelope so hard, it would have been easier on ourselves. However, if we did that every time, we wouldn&#8217;t be Sony.&#8221; - Sony president Kaz Hirai

1. Notmyproblem.jpg
2. Bullshit.gif

jarrod

Banned
soundwave05 said:
HD-DVD with solely Toshiba as it's main supporter on the electronics side is the one that has more in common with failed formats like Beta.
Er... what about NEC?

LOCK

Software is going to be crazy.

I'm really excited about the DS, because its 68% better, and the best selling game last Dec did 400k. There was more first party games also. Mario, and FF3 I'm thinking did huge numbers.

Zelda GC, sold 48% of last years total GC sales. :)

Zelda Wii is probably/most likely past a million in the US.

radjago

PhoenixDark said:
On GAF? Did you miss the memo?
Yeah, I got the memo and I understand the policy. I just wanted to know what time the numbers are granted to us by NPD. I see in the predictions thread, it's 4:30PM.

Top Bottom