• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2012 Sales Results [Up2: MW3 Sales, (Down ~50% Over BLOPS, But Still #1)]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
At 175K without any obvious mega hits (unless I'm forgetting something?) coming until Fall, I feel that's not a good sign for momentum, at least for the first eight months.

Obviously it isn't dire, but it isn't exactly a major hit device at that point, at least currently.

Well, the fact it isn't the main choice is obvious, we aren't seeing what's happening now in Japan. But it's something normal IMHO: US is slow in adopting new hardwares. In fact, DS had its best Christmas not in 2006, with Lite already launched, but in 2009. It's just a matter of time and lineup increasing and increasing. If the lineup continues increasing with big sellers and many other titles, we'll see the platform rise.

Moreover

There's a name for a giant drop after December: January. For reference, DS's December->January drops:

-80%
-85%
-85%
-90%
-83%
-87%

And I'm lacking last year's numbers.

At 175K without any obvious mega hits (unless I'm forgetting something?) coming until Fall, I feel that's not a good sign for momentum, at least for the first eight months.

Obviously it isn't dire, but it isn't exactly a major hit device at that point, at least currently.

i'm very interested to see how Revelations does with the demo, and strong word of mouth. reviews aren't stellar, but it should be a solid seller at $40 at least. also interested to see if it bumps numbers up a bit. obviously it's not the first RE game on the system, but i don't think Mercs was going to convince anyone to get a 3DS.

Revelations seems to me like something that will either bring new people to the system, or suffer from slightly disapointing sales.

Animal Crossing is likely to hit this summer, isn't it?

City Folk didn't do great, but I expect this to follow Wild World's path.

Valnen

I don't think I'll every understand the popularity of the COD series.

The multiplayer is a fun filled adrenaline rush that can be experienced in very short bursts. Meaning it can appeal to "hardcores" or even people with just a few minutes to spare.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, the fact it isn't the main choice is obvious, we aren't seeing what's happening now in Japan. But it's something normal IMHO: US is slow in adopting new hardwares. In fact, DS had its best Christmas not in 2006, with Lite already launched, but in 2009. It's just a matter of time and lineup increasing and increasing. If the lineup continues increasing with big sellers and many other titles, we'll see the platform rise.

Moreover

i'm very interested to see how Revelations does with the demo, and strong word of mouth. reviews aren't stellar, but it should be a solid seller at $40 at least. also interested to see if it bumps numbers up a bit. obviously it's not the first RE game on the system, but i don't think Mercs was going to convince anyone to get a 3DS.

Revelations seems to me like something that will either bring new people to the system, or suffer from slightly disapointing sales.
On this note, what do people think would be good sales numbers for Revelations? I'll break it up into a number of categories.

1.) What would be a good opening to convince several other publishers to make "high" budget, core, Western focused games on the 3DS.
2.) What would be a good opening for the game in terms of "We should make more of these instead of investing in something that will cost 1/4th as much but still get half the sales."
3.) What would be a good opening for the game in terms of "Well, that wasn't disappointing for us." regardless of whether they intend to make more.

Animal Crossing is likely to hit this summer, isn't it?

City Folk didn't do great, but I expect this to follow Wild World's path.
That will definitely be an interesting one to follow.

fernoca

Though as noted, the 3DS drop from December to November is not that alarming, but normal.

The year the DSlite was released, which marked the relaunch of the DS along what it was it's best December back then; it did 1.6 million. Then following month, January 2007 239k and was outsold by the Wii, PS2, 360 and PS3 (in that order :p).

On December 2007, I think the biggest month for the 3DS(?) it did 2.7 million; then on January 2008? 274k.

Granted the 3DS is a relative newcomer and expectations seem to be higher, but if anything the numbers so far are normal. Now with Resident Evil, Kid Icarus and a few other games; plus by the end of the year with Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario and New Super Mario Bros.; if things actually go down; now "that" would be alarming.

Well, when everyone and their sister's dog has a Wii already, sales are guaranteed to decline a bit.
anihawkopeningtag32.png
Nintendo's biggest mistake was to have so much success in the first few years, rather than saving it for last when it really matters.
anihawkclosingtag32.png

donny2112

Gamasutra said:
The Wii U will end up being underpowered by today's standards

should be

Gamasutra said:
The Wii U will end up being underpowered by today's PC standards

Wii U on its own is already above PS360 in performance. Anywhere from "50%" to "5x 360" depending on which rumor to believe and when the rumor was put out. None have said its below current console standards overall, though, which is why the above statement should be changed to PC standards. It won't be using 2011/2012 high-end PC parts, after all.

StevieP

Banned
should be

Wii U on its own is already above PS360 in performance. Anywhere from "50%" to "5x 360" depending on which rumor to believe and when the rumor was put out. None have said its below current console standards overall, though, which is why the above statement should be changed to PC standards. It won't be using 2011/2012 high-end PC parts, after all.

None of them will. The Wii U is just going to be the weakest of the bunch.

FrankT

If the OP is correct that PS3 and Wii did no more than 281K combined based on %s then no way PS3 and Wii did a base of 180K and 140K.

Alcibiades

anihawkopeningtag32.png
Nintendo's biggest mistake was to have so much success in the first few years, rather than saving it for last when it really matters.
anihawkclosingtag32.png
haha

seriously though looking back it is amazing just how well the Wii did and how long it took to finally go down... seems like the industry ("hardcore" journalists and 3rd party developers) kept predicting (hoping?) the fever would die down but just year after year after year it kept going... and now that it finally has the generation is kinda over with the PS3/Wii hitting the doldrums and the 360 flying steady...

fernoca

haha

seriously though looking back it is amazing just how well the Wii did and how long it took to finally go down... seems like the industry ("hardcore" journalists and 3rd party developers) kept predicting (hoping?) the fever would die down but just year after year after year it kept going... and now that it finally has the generation is kinda over with the PS3/Wii hitting the doldrums and the 360 flying steady...
Yeah. It's kinda ironic too.
For years, many were expecting and counting down the days for the"inevitable death of the Wii fad"..and, 5 years later it finally did and now is like "See, I told ya!!!" What happened Nintendo?!!! Where's your expanded audience?!! BITCH?!!!".

joedick

I don't think we're at that point yet. Activision killed GH because after the success of the third game, they started to make too many spin-off games along with main titles. In 2008, there was GH Aerosmith and GH 4, then in 2009 there was four GH games. So by the time GH 6 came out, everyone was good and sick of the series.

Lots of people suggest that GH's demise was oversaturation. But doesn't anybody else think the rhythm genre was a fad? I think Activision played this right by putting out as much as they could in the window of popularity. Sure, too many games may have played a part, but I can't imagine the main game would've sold much more if they hadn't put out Guitar Hero: Van Halen or whatever.

Yeah. It's kinda ironic too.
For years, many were expecting and counting down the days for the"inevitable death of the Wii fad"..and, 5 years little it finally did and now is like "See, I told ya!!!" What happened Nintendo?!!! Where's your expanded audience?!! BITCH?!!!".
That's just because humans are fucking crazy.

Also have the memories of goldfish or small goats.

FrankT

Well something is most definitively off if MS holds a 49% share for the month on current gen consoles at 270 thus 551 at 100% leaving 281. Why in the world we do not have the numbers at this point is beyond funny. I suppose if they are simply lumping in that term with all sales related to the platform(s) yea that would be off, but still just cough up the numbers already.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well something is most definitively off if MS holds a 49% share for the month on current gen consoles at 270 thus 551 at 100% leaving 281. Why in the world we do not have the numbers at this point is beyond funny. I suppose if they are simply lumping in that term with all sales related to the platform(s) yea that would be off, but still just cough up the numbers already.

We already told you those numbers were wrong; the 49% is likely revenue, not units sold

edit:

This may surprise some people, but mods don't actually read every post on the forum, and some don't update the OP when they see things or inform those that do, so if you feel strongly that something is in error, please just PM me instead of getting all upset about the OP not changing.

I promise, I actually do read them and fix things.

my post wasn't directed to you or any other mod, but the guy above, sorry!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This may surprise some people, but mods don't actually read every post on the forum, and some don't update the OP when they see things or inform those that do, so if you feel strongly that something is in error, please just PM me instead of getting all upset about the OP not changing.

I promise, I actually do read them and fix things.

I doubt this speaks much to low sales, but believe it or not, I'm still on my 20 gig launch 360. Been wanting a new one for some time (250 slim), but I've not seen any true price drops (They have been adding value or changing things). I just want a sub 300, non-kinect, 360. Won't get it if it comes out after they announce a new console so if they want to hook someone like me in, they need to do so soon.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Since putting up a chart for the first week of February 2012, Rentrak has not updated their software chart. Maybe they gave up? :(

Pooya

It's only the games chart that's not updated, last time it was updated was the day this thread was posted. Maybe NPD guys saw those here and called Rentrak and made a deal or something =P should have kept those secret...

monome

1.) What would be a good opening to convince several other publishers to make "high" budget, core, Western focused games on the 3DS.
Since we're early in 3DS life and it still is a console mostly owned by core gamers, around half what a Mario game sells.

2.) What would be a good opening for the game in terms of "We should make more of these instead of investing in something that will cost 1/4th as much but still get half the sales."
I don't get it.

3.) What would be a good opening for the game in terms of "Well, that wasn't disappointing for us." regardless of whether they intend to make more.
1/4 of a Mario

My readings into the sales charts:

- The market really has reached saturation point, and it's reflecting on the negative comps by all the three consoles makers.

- The software market is also approaching saturation point. There's way too many games out there for people to buy that are below their new software counterpart.

- So when you buy a 360 or a PS3, instead of getting a new software, you end just buying a used game OR you might buy one of the other classics in the system that are way below price already.

I knew something was up with MW3 when I saw the sales numbers.

People are sick of the shit tier expensive map packs, the lack of innovation, and the decline in quality they are seeing with every title.

Even the hardcore MW guys I used to play with think MW3 is terrible and play 1 & 2 all the time instead.

Rentrak charts for Feb 19-25. they skipped two weeks.
http://www.rentrak.com/section/corporate/press_room/weekly_top_10_charts.html

1. X360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
2. PSV Uncharted: Golden Abyss
3. PS3 Twisted Metal
4. X360 UFC Undisputed 3
5. PS3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
6. PS3 Asura's Wrath
7. WII Just Dance 3
8. PS3 UFC Undisputed 3
9. X360 Asura's Wrath
10.WII Zumba Fitness

If this is true then ouch for Resident Evil Revelations. I guess that means Uncharted GA did around 250k-350k depending on MW3's sales.

jvm

Gamasutra.

noobie

Rentrak charts for Feb 19-25. they skipped two weeks.
http://www.rentrak.com/section/corporate/press_room/weekly_top_10_charts.html

1. X360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
2. PSV Uncharted: Golden Abyss
3. PS3 Twisted Metal
4. X360 UFC Undisputed 3
5. PS3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
6. PS3 Asura's Wrath
7. WII Just Dance 3
8. PS3 UFC Undisputed 3
9. X360 Asura's Wrath
10.WII Zumba Fitness

Wish to see the previous week sales.. To know where TM stood in its opening week.. 3rd on its second week is okayish i believe.

Btw why Asura's Wrath higher on PS3 then on XBOX360.? is it an RPG?

Road

If this is true then ouch for Resident Evil Revelations. I guess that means Uncharted GA did around 250k-350k depending on MW3's sales.
Nope. Realize it's just one week of sales. (And that RER came out two weeks before the chart).

Yeah I wouldn't take the rankings as 100% fact.
NPD rankings are also at a far distance from being 100% factual.

Top Bottom