• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2012 Sales Results [Up2: MW3 Sales, (Down ~50% Over BLOPS, But Still #1)]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
My impression is that lots of people who have never played an elder scrolls game are buying skyrim.

Pretty plausible, since HD systems became more mass targeted last year, so much more people who probably were interested in the game had the possibility to buy it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Skyrim was helped a lot because Oblivion was 5+ years ago. People were ready for another Elder Scrolls.

Skyrim and Fallout pretty much feed off of each other in terms of sales growth.

I think it's very important to keep track of that part.

Anyone else get the feeling that Black Ops 2 (Or whatever the next CoD is called) is going to have a dip in sales? There is starting to be a general feeling of hate for it now on the 'net.

Although, a fair amount of people still love it, so I'm sure it will still have good sales, just not as good as past CoD's

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Anyone else get the feeling that Black Ops 2 (Or whatever the next CoD is called) is going to have a dip in sales? There is starting to be a general feeling of hate for it now on the 'net.

Although, a fair amount of people still love it, so I'm sure it will still have good sales, just not as good as past CoD's

Hate on the 'net has no relevance at all in real sales. Especially for mass franchises such as Call of Duty.

LuchaShaq

Banned

If love/hate on the net meant anything more than 5% (probably less than that) COD would have bombed after world at war.

xHAASx

Banned

Black Ops 2, brought into account that it's a widening follow-up, possesses the possibility to batter all sales records.

Black Ops 2, brought into account that it's a widening follow-up, possesses the possibility to batter all sales records.

Yeah, I actually think Black Ops 2 will outsell MW3.
If you check Xbox live activity, Black Ops is up there behind MW3 despite being more than a year old (ahead of games like Fifa or Battlefield 3). That shows that many Black Ops players did not jump to MW3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you check Xbox live activity, Black Ops is up there behind MW3 despite being more than a year old (ahead of games like Fifa or Battlefield 3). That shows that many Black Ops players did not jump to MW3.

The same was true of Black Ops and MW2 though.

CoD games just have great retention:

codactiveusersi9x3v.png

xHAASx

Banned

Right. Black Ops was fantabulous for my part, and MW3 plainly too similar to MW2.

Treyarch > Infinity Ward when it comes to everything other than making the game run well on both consoles.

Anyway I don't know if it was posted but they claim that the next COD game "will add meaningful innovations" to the franchise. Looks like they were fine not innovating until sales dipped, lol.

XPE

Anyway I don't know if it was posted but they claim that the next COD game "will add meaningful innovations" to the franchise. Looks like they were fine not innovating until sales dipped, lol.

Thats just PR talk, they are hardly going to say "we are going to produced the same crap we do every year but with a slight twist"

Thats just PR talk, they are hardly going to say "we are going to produced the same crap we do every year but with a slight twist"
they never said it in the past few games though. It's not one or the other, they could have not said anything at all, continued balling, and then released the next one. But they said it. Worth noting. Will be interesting to see if they follow through.

xHAASx

Banned
they never said it in the past few games though. It's not one or the other, they could have not said anything at all, continued balling, and then released the next one. But they said it. Worth noting. Will be interesting to see if they follow through.

It's Treyarch. Expect something ample.

antonz

Interesting to see MW3 take such a massive drop. Could be a sign fatigue is finally settling in which would be very bad news for a number of developers. Shooter fatigue is inevitable but if it comes in fast could see alot of jobs in trouble

Treyarch > Infinity Ward when it comes to everything other than making the game run well on both consoles.

Old Infinity Ward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Treyarch >>>> New Infinity Ward in terms of anything. Putting Treyarch above IW when IW actually created the franchise, revolutionized FPS with the Modern Warfare and basically spearheaded every single inovation in the franchise is ridicoulos.

Interesting to see MW3 take such a massive drop. Could be a sign fatigue is finally settling in which would be very bad news for a number of developers. Shooter fatigue is inevitable but if it comes in fast could see alot of jobs in trouble

It shows stagnation, not a downfall. MW3 had stronger launch sales than Black Ops, signalling that it's becoming more frontloaded. Lack of follow through in January means that growth is coming to a halt.

fernoca

Black Ops 2 will definitely be on Wii U, since it's Treyarch doing it. They might finally skip the Wii version, though. They had done Wii versions of all their previous CoD's and one of IW's. :p

Two of IWs actually. :p
(Modern Warfare Reflex which was a port of MW1 and Modern Warfare 3).

szaromir

Banned
Eh, modern combat theme is getting old after 5 years of omnipresence. Black Ops was an interesting chang with the cold war thing, I think if they set the next COD fifty or a hundred years from now with futuristic everything, space colonization etc. people would go nuts over it. Plus they'd have an excuse for even bigger explosions and smaller corridors ;)

Petrae

People are getting smarter. After how awful MW3 is, the next CoD will surely take a hit in sales.

Interesting assumption.

I think that we can look to shooter fatigue as a better point of emphasis. After a lengthy stay at the top of software genre sales breakdowns, shooters have been bested in sales by Action titles over the last two months. Skyrim and Just Dance sales are staying the course for the most part, while MW3 and BF3 are headed down.

We've seen a big focus on shooters for a good part of this console generation, but trends change. That's not to say that the genre doesn't spike back when the next big FPS comes out, but I think that the era of the shooter is nearing its conclusion.

xHAASx

Banned
Interesting assumption.

I think that we can look to shooter fatigue as a better point of emphasis. After a lengthy stay at the top of software genre sales breakdowns, shooters have been bested in sales by Action titles over the last two months. Skyrim and Just Dance sales are staying the course for the most part, while MW3 and BF3 are headed down.

We've seen a big focus on shooters for a good part of this console generation, but trends change. That's not to say that the genre doesn't spike back when the next big FPS comes out, but I think that the era of the shooter is nearing its conclusion.

Audacious.

Interesting assumption.

BF3 sold much better than BC2 in the same year MW3 did not manage to beat Black Ops by a huge percentage. The issue here isn't just fatigue, it's the fact that they did not inovate at all and the quality across the board took a nose dive. I've beaten every Call of Duty with the expection of Call of Duty 3 during one or two days and my MW3 copy is sitting on the shelf, as I only managed to beat the 1st singleplayer level without getting bored. It's just awful, a huge downgrade compared with MW2 and even MW1 in some areas.

Petrae

BF3 sold much better than BC2 in the same year MW3 did not manage to beat Black Ops by a huge percentage. The issue here isn't just fatigue, it's the fact that they did not inovate at all and the quality across the board took a nose dive. I've beaten every Call of Duty with the expection of Call of Duty 3 during one or two days and my MW3 copy is sitting on the shelf, as I only managed to beat the 1st singleplayer level without getting bored. It's just awful, a huge downgrade compared with MW2 and even MW1 in some areas.

I can't comment on the game's quality personally (I only tried it for about 30 minutes after the holidays), but I get the sense that there's at least a moderate pattern shift coming in terms of genres at retail. Shooters have been, far and away, the biggest trend over the last 4+ years. We've seen them EVERYWHERE, with developers and publishers struggling to find the next Modern Warfare.

I'm calling it based on observation and instinct, but I very well might end up being wrong about shooters finally relaxing a bit.

NIGHT-

This, also I've never payed more than 25$ for live.

MS points being on sale constantly saved me more than I spent on live since XBLA is my favorite platform for exclusives this generation (even more so if you don't count PC ports that came 3-6 months later).

The xbla lineup, the controller (enormous factor for me), and consistency of live (despite being called a liar in multiple threads me and many other people have had issues downloading large files on psn) all matter a ton to me.

It took me over an hour to download a 100 something mb Killzone 3 update last night. What the hell is wrong with PSn servers?

Dabanton

It took me over an hour to download a 100 something mb Killzone 3 update last night. What the hell is wrong with PSn servers?

They seem to be hit and miss i was DL'ing Infamous: Festival of Blood earlier and it did it in 15mins.

Which was a nice surprise.

NIGHT-

More like what's wrong with your internet. I have 8Mbps and my DL speed is around 1MB, which is maximum for my connection.

Yea buddy it's my internet.. Considering I have no issues downloading quickly over Steam or XBL.....

PSN download speeds are just a joke.. It's not just a isolated case..

Interesting assumption.

One slow month's worth of NPD data is a drop in the bucket, shooters are growing and we haven't even hit the peak of the shooter era, let alone gotten a whiff of the end.

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops
FIFA 12
Skyrim
Battlefield 3
Halo: Reach
Modern Warfare 2
Gears of War 3
NBA 2K12
Madden NFL 12
GTA IV
Forza Motorsport 4
Saints Row: The Third
NHL12
Halo 3
Assassin’s Creed Revelations
Call of Duty 4
Red Dead Redemption
NBA 2K11
Batman: Arkham City

Sean

Banned
It's actually great news that CoD is finally declining, hopefully it stays in that direction.

The article said that sales are flat/identical to date. Just means that MW3 was more front-loaded while Black Ops sold more over time. Not exactly a decline just yet.

Petrae

One slow month's worth of NPD data is a drop in the bucket, shooters are growing and we haven't even hit the peak of the shooter era, let alone gotten a whiff of the end.

I'm talking about sales of new shooters declining, not play of existing shooters.

Looking at genre breakdowns of new games sold, shooters have gone from over 30% in November (naturally, due to MW3) down to less than 13% in two months' time.

Shooters actually ranked 4th in December.

It might be a temporary trend, as you believe. We'll see.

Petrae

well it seems the entire industry is going down with it....

I think it's too soon to be that reactionary, but if Call of Duty is indeed in decline as an IP, then industry contraction makes sense. Call of Duty appeals to multiple audiences, casual and core... so if CoD loses its popularity and casual players go elsewhere, that's potentially less revenue overall.

It's still too soon to tell. We need to reserve judgments until after Q1 ends to see if this is an aberration or if legitimate trends are in place signifying a period of industry correction.

xHAASx

Banned
I think it's too soon to be that reactionary, but if Call of Duty is indeed in decline as an IP, then industry contraction makes sense. Call of Duty appeals to multiple audiences, casual and core... so if CoD loses its popularity and casual players go elsewhere, that's potentially less revenue overall.

It's still too soon to tell. We need to reserve judgments until after Q1 ends to see if this is an aberration or if legitimate trends are in place signifying a period of industry correction.

Black Ops already hammered MW3 in the UK.

So lets get this right. Activision, having shat the bed with Guitar Hero already and seen that franchise die of over use and fatigue have managed to do the same for COD.

Every year COD brings nothing new to the table and now Activision are going to be relying on the Bungie IP that may or may not bring mega success. I know the whole COD Elite crap is trying to make COD more like WoW whereby Activision have guaranteed revenue from hardcore players, but the bread and butter is still about shipping 20m copies of a $60 game (or 10m copies of a $100 game in the case of GH).

Without COD I don't see where Activision go. EA still have their annual bankers like FIFA and Madden from their sports divisions and they have invested heavily in original content for a good few years now, and that strategy has borne some fruit. The massive overpayment for BioWare could even work out with ME making it much bigger than most expected.

For Activision, they have no real original content coming out from their own teams, they have an EA Partners style agreement with Bungie for a game (but that won't be anything to write home about in revenue terms, I expect Bungie negotiated a very good deal there coming off Halo) and their massive IP has started faltering. Good thing Blizzard are bringing considerable heat with Diablo 3 this year because the picture for Activision is looking rather bleak.

Top Bottom