• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

miksar

Leondexter said:
New Super Mario Bros DS - Nintendo (NDS)

3DS owners desperate for a good game, maybe ?
DS probably still sold pretty well in July, won't happen from now on for sure.

Himself

Who is buying these games?

What happened to Catherine?

Isn't that Mario DS game 5 years old?

How did NV hop in there?

1-D_FTW

Title really deserves a BOMBA in front of it. And worst month since October 2006? That must have been a really lousy year because October's usually have some sweet games sandwiched in.

[Nintex]

Tucah said:
Dull month. Zelda dropped off already? 3DS really did need that pricedrop badly.
I fear for Skyward Sword, Nintendo might've urinated in the well a bit too much with Phantom Hourglass, Crossbow Training and to a lesser extend Spirit Tracks.

No Catherine. What does that mean when Atlus' biggest launch can't crack the top 10 in one of the worst months in recent years?

No Zelda. Not commenting on that one, but that's pretty bad.

1-D_FTW said:
Title really deserves a BOMBA in front of it. And worst month since October 2006? That must have been a really lousy year because October's usually have some sweet games sandwiched in.

Something happened in November that changed the industry towards a massive upwards swing.

RedSwirl

Why the fuck does no one else even try to make games with NSMB-like longevity? Activision could probably do it with COD if they didn't release a new one every year.

Guevara

1-D_FTW said:
The Wii and the PS3 came out in November 2006, so it was the month immediately prior to the start of the next gen for many people (and the Xbox 360 was probably supplied constrained)

Also, August is often the slowest month for a lot of industries. Gaming is weird because Bioshock came out in August 2007 and Batman:AA in August 2009 (just two examples). There was no big game this August.

Himself

[Nintex] said:
I fear for Skyward Sword, Nintendo might've urinated in the well a bit too much with Phantom Hourglass, Crossbow Training and to a lesser extend Spirit Tracks.

My hype for Skyward Sword is 0. I've been avoiding all media hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Haven't played a good Zelda game since Wind Waker.

Levyne

Banned
Himself said:
Who is buying these games?

What happened to Catherine?

Isn't that Mario DS game 5 years old?

How did NV hop in there?

10 Dollar Sale for New Vegas (That I missed grrr)

And yeah over 5 years old...

BlazingDarkness said:
Where is Catherine? Needs repeating

Also Inb4 'iOS is the future' clusterfuck thread

On that topic, I'd love to see, say, a top 200 which included iOS games (and console service downloads for good measure). First by units, then by dollars. It'll never happen, but if it did, I think it might shut some people up. Especially the 'by dollars' one, of course.

Himself said:
My hype for Skyward Sword is 0. I've been avoiding all media hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Haven't played a good Zelda game since Wind Waker.

... so you haven't played any Zelda games since Wind Waker?

Holy crap @ NSMB DS getting back into the top 10, that is insane. The game is over 5 years old now!

Need to see 3DS and OoT sales. This month's NPD sales tracking ends before the 3DS price drop announcement doesn't it?

JABEE said:
We need new consoles.
I don't think it's going to help anyone if more expensive consoles show up during the ongoing economic shitstorm. We just need more exciting reasons to spend money on games instead of everything revolving around the big franchises.

1-D_FTW

bigtroyjon said:
Something happened in November that changed the industry towards a massive upwards swing.

Guevara said:
The Wii and the PS3 came out in November 2006, so it was the month immediately prior to the start of the next gen for many people (and the Xbox 360 was probably supplied constrained)

Also, August is often the slowest month for a lot of industries. Gaming is weird because Bioshock came out in August 2007 and Batman:AA in August 2009 (just two examples). There was no big game this August.

I just went and googled the top 10 Chart for 2006. It really does suck. PS3 or Wii launching in November or not. It's horrible for any month, let alone Q4.

If 360 sold 277K units... does that make PS3 sales abysmal? The bomba of all bombas?

Also: Steam and DD services to the rescue. This retail numbers are beyond pathetic.

jling84 said:
I thought Catherine sold 200k?

Shipped most likely.

StoppedInTracks said:
If 360 sold 277K units... does that make PS3 sales abysmal? The bomba of all bombas?

Also: Steam and DD services to the rescue. This retail numbers are beyond pathetic.

Steam/DD sales could be even worse for all we know.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
BlazingDarkness said:
I'm guessing Catherine would have been very frontloaded, but this still makes me feel a bit better

To a point, but word of mouth tends to drive Atlus titles a lot as well.

Top Bottom