• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

Jomjom

Banned
StoppedInTracks said:
If 360 sold 277K units... does that make PS3 sales abysmal? The bomba of all bombas?

Also: Steam and DD services to the rescue. This retail numbers are beyond pathetic.

PS3 usually sells about half, so I would expect PS3 numbers to be around 100k-140k.

RedSwirl said:
Why the fuck does no one else even try to make games with NSMB-like longevity? Activision could probably do it with COD if they didn't release a new one every year.

Probably because they'd rather sell this year's game to the same 20 million people than do nothing but hope it can squeak its way to 25 million. From a consumer's standpoint, I'm frustrated with both models and think there must be a happy medium in there somewhere.

Truespeed

itxaka said:
Taking the other consoles into account, will maybe mean that one of them didn't cross the 100K mark? Awesome, does someone had that old gif used for the PS3 when it didn't cross the 100K mark?

I may have it. Is it similar to the one that's used when the PS2 beats the 360 in Japan?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i can't believe techland's brave new direction for call of juarez came back to bite them in the ass.

[Nintex]

Luckyman said:
DS is killing the 3DS with MARIO. Epic
Nintendo blew it and I think they should've changed plans to launch Wii U fall 2011 and 3DS fall 2012. DS has been outselling the Wii for a while now so I was kinda surprised when they replaced their most succesful system first and let the Wii die a slow and painful death.

ghst said:
i can't believe techland's brave new direction for call of juarez came back to bite them in the ass.
lol forgot about that too, all dat bomba

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jim-jam bongs said:
New Vegas back in the charts because of a Steam sale?

Interesting.
They don't track digital in this chart still, as otherwise the games industry would be up year over year according to their estimates.

It was the $10 Best Buy sale.

August could also be a slow month because EA’s Madden NFL 12 won’t release until Aug. 30 this year.

Hadn't thought about this but that's a huge deal and September should have an abnormally large month as a result.

Nirolak said:
They don't track digital in this chart still, as otherwise the games industry would be up year over year according to their estimates.

It was the $10 Best Buy sale.

Bastards. I thought they started a while ago. Ah well, a guy can dream.

amdnv

itxaka said:
Taking the other consoles into account, will maybe mean that one of them didn't cross the 100K mark?
Last month PS3 and Wii had almost identical numbers. If this month is somewhat similar, that would put them both at around 170K.

TheOddOne

Game Industry Plummets 26% in Worst Month Since October 2006
Games are increasingly going digital - everyone knows that. In the meantime, the retail sales report for July from NPD painted quite an ugly picture. The industry was down 26% to $707.7 million, as software fell 17% to $336.2 million and hardware dropped 29% to $229 million. Accessories also dipped 8% to $127.8 million.

With the exception of EA Sports' NCAA Football, there weren't many top new releases during a slow summer month. The result was one of the lowest months for the U.S. games business in nearly five years.

“There is no getting around the fact that video game sales in the new physical retail channel suffered its lowest month since October 2006," noted NPD analyst Anita Frazier. "Despite the very rough month, new physical retail sales are down just 4% year-to-date and based on seasonality trends observed over the last 10 years, which have been remarkably stable year-in, year-out, industry sales in this particular channel are poised to land in the flat to -2% range once the total year is completed.”

Frazier also pointed out that digital is indeed helping to make up for lost physical sales. “New physical retail sales of hardware, software and accessories accounted for 69% of the total consumer spend on the industry in Q1. We have measured some remarkable growth in other ways that consumers are acquiring content, including digital sales of full games and add-on content, mobile games, and social network gaming. Growth in these areas, combined with a flat to modest decline in new physical sales should result in 2011 showing growth over 2010," she said.

On the software charts, EA's NCAA Football easily took first place. “NCAA 12 was the best-selling title for the month, realizing a 15% increase in unit sales versus NCAA 11 in July 2010. The increase in sales could have been fueled by ardent football fans who have to wait a little longer to get their hands on Madden this year,” Frazier said.

As for hardware, following months of huge momentum, Xbox 360 finally saw a year-over-year decline. “This was the first month that the Xbox 360 saw a year-over-year decline since December 2009. This is more of a reflection of robust sales last July, which was the biggest month for unit sales of the 360 in 2010 outside the holiday months (November and December). Last year’s sales of the 360 hardware platform were driven by the introduction of the Kinect-ready slim form factor SKU,” Frazier noted.

jvm

Gamasutra.
For the record:
Sony PR said:
According to the July NPD, PlayStation peripheral sales increased by 18% year-over-year demonstrating a strong consumer interest in PlayStation Move and the Sharp Shooter. PlayStation will continue this momentum in the fall with the release of Resistance3, the groundbreaking shooter that combines 3D with Move and the Sharp Shooter. Our unmatched line-up of first-party software continues to deliver a gaming experience that can only be found on the PS3.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
StoppedInTracks said:
Where's OoT?

Less than 100k.
But next month,it will rise thanks to the drop,and its rise will depend on hardware numbers.

Sennorin

Banned
AnnSwag said:
I'm actually happy that Cars 2: The Video Game sold so well because the game is great.

Dito. Wonder if the people in here saying "what a sad top10" actually played the game. If you like Mario Kart, you´ll like Cars 2.

AnnSwag said:
I'm actually happy that Cars 2: The Video Game sold so well because the game is great.

Interesting. I always ignore movie license games unless told otherwise...so thanks for this. Maybe I'll check it out.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
[Nintex] said:
Move and Sharpshooter...!

Seriously they could've just send out a PR saying: "uh we got nothing"

Our sales of the PS3 vertical stand has increased by 40%!

VALIS

According to the July NPD, PlayStation peripheral sales increased by 18% year-over-year demonstrating a strong consumer interest in PlayStation Move and the Sharp Shooter. PlayStation will continue this momentum in the fall with the release of Resistance3, the groundbreaking shooter that combines 3D with Move and the Sharp Shooter. Our unmatched line-up of first-party software continues to deliver a gaming experience that can only be found on the PS3.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

Our house may be on fire, but have you seen the vegetable garden lately? The tomatoes are looking spectacular!

yes, i know tomatoes are a fruit :p

Top Bottom