• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2012 Sales Results [Up3: 3DS Hardware Correction - 124K+]

drkohler

Banned
At this point, considering how vast their numbers are, I wouldn't be surprised if they're stealing data from the NPD and just changing the numbers somewhat liberally.

It would be interesting if we could get people in the know to comment on how 'accurate' bullshit site has become.
Why don't YOU do the work instead of posting these absolutely idiotic comments about "stealing data"? It is really strange to see these juvenile attacks popping up about another site's numbers (same goes for the idiotic post of user "jvm" below).
If you don't like what other people are trying to do (whether they succeed or fail in your eyes), just leave it at that - or does it bother you so much that "that other site" got the numbers roughly correct (be that just a lucky guess or not)?

confuziz

Banned
Why don't YOU do the work instead of posting these absolutely idiotic comments about "stealing data"? It is really strange to see these juvenile attacks popping up about another site's numbers (same goes for the idiotic post of user "jvm" below).
If you don't like what other people are trying to do (whether they succeed or fail in your eyes), just leave it at that - or does it bother you so much that "that other site" got the numbers roughly correct (be that just a lucky guess or not)?

oh boy..

Sure. I just ment that the hardware tech has come too far (for both 3DS and Vita) in that sense, so it will be very difficult to make a $99 next time without having to downgrade the hardware power, or maybe at best, keep it on par.

I would love to see a $99 handheld, but i think it is a big risk since the hardware power will be about what we already have to today. Then it depends on how many that are interesting in buying a new handheld that is basically the same as they have before (unless there is some very new and unique feature).

I wasn't specifically referring to the $99, which was not proposed either for the original DS. But 3DS is not too far, it's just the perfect evolution from previous hardware; Nintendo tried to lucrate somehow on the price, given the name, but they couldn't succeed. Then, the cost is for 3D screens, not for the tech itself.

That site is simply cheating million of people. Period.

Petrae

You *do* know who jvm is, right?

The argument boils down to who is closer to the actual number. It can be argued that NPD isn't 100% accurate in terms of full retail coverage, but until they are replaced as the primary recognized sales tracker, analysts will continue to use NPD as their primary source for discussion and analysis.

The "other site" has more numbers and data, but there continues to be questions about the validity of said data. Who's right? Who's wrong?

Don't let this thread bog down into a tracker v. tracker war.

Hero

You're an idiot.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wasn't specifically referring to the $99, which was not proposed either for the original DS. But 3DS is not too far, it's just the perfect evolution from previous hardware; Nintendo tried to lucrate somehow on the price, given the name, but they couldn't succeed. Then, the cost is for 3D screens, not for the tech itself.
I understand, but the point i made to begin with was only referring to the $99 price :) That it is very hard to make improvement in the hardware tech from what we already have today if the next handheld should be $99 only. It wasnt 3DS or Vita specfic either, just generally speaking about today's handheld systems. If you charge $150 - $200, then there is much more room for improvement indeed, but that is something different from what i said.

EDIT: I dont think that the 3D screen cost that much actually. I mean, it is probably one of the most expecive components on the 3DS, but i dont think that the price would i.e be $50 - $60 cheaper if it wasnt for the 3D screen.

Vgmakebelieve veteran in the house?

I see a long quality posting career here on GAF.

Road

We have our monthly meltdown.

Close this thread.

Kusagari

Is this for real?

Duxxy3

Sure. I just ment that the hardware tech has come too far (for both 3DS and Vita) in that sense, so it will be very difficult to make a $99 next time without having to downgrade the hardware power, or maybe at best, keep it on par.

I would love to see a $99 handheld, but i think it is a big risk since the hardware power will be about what we already have to today. Then it depends on how many that are interesting in buying a new handheld that is basically the same as they have before (unless there is some very new and unique feature).

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the next gen nintendo portable being a tiny upgrade in horsepower, but having something new to nintendo portables. Dual analog probably.
Sony could probably sit on the Vita for 6-7 years while the price comes down.

Orca

At this point, considering how vast their numbers are, I wouldn't be surprised if they're stealing data from the NPD and just changing the numbers somewhat liberally.

It would be interesting if we could get people in the know to comment on how 'accurate' bullshit site has become.

I saw this on GAF ages ago when I was just a lurker.

73bLB.jpg

They clearly use, or at least used to use, the NPD data to shore up their 'rock solid' data.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the next gen nintendo portable being a tiny upgrade in horsepower, but having something new to nintendo portables. Dual analog probably.
Sony could probably sit on the Vita for 6-7 years while the price comes down.
I guess that it is not impossible, but i think it would be very hard to keep the price at $99 (or very close to that). I think it depends a lot on how the market for handheld will be in the next 4-6 years.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I'd be fine with the current graphics of the 3ds much like I'd be fine with the current look of both HD consoles provided we could just clean up the IQ. Most of my current 3ds complaints have more to do with the lack of AA, lower res screen (to an extent), and the cool but very fickle 3d. Give me 3ds like graphics with Vita or (gasp) iPad 3 like IQ and I'd be happy. Obviously a 2nd stick would be a bonus.

Granted I'm not sure that could be $99, but I could easily see that being only say $150 out the gate in like 3 or 4 more years.

donny2112

Wii, the most unlikeling system, dominating the generation on behalf of Nintendo alone with insane figures (700K+ in slow month like this one).
Then 360 becoming the top platform since 2011.

From Jan-2011 until this month (i.e. 19 months), 360 has sold ~300K less than Wii did in its top period from Mar-2008 until Dec-2008 (i.e. 10 months). Not really much reason to compare those periods other than to just point out that the top-selling console since 2011 probably doesn't mean as much in the current market as it would've a few years ago.

It took 360 6 months from launch until the shortages let up in April 2006 to be the top-selling home console for the month. It'll be interesting to see when the first time Wii U will be the top-selling home console of the month (if ever).

It took 360 6 months from launch until the shortages let up in April 2006 to be the top-selling home console for the month. It'll be interesting to see when the first time Wii U will be the top-selling home console of the month (if ever).

I bet it will happen in January. I don't think the 360 will get a price cut, just really good deals in the holiday season. January sales should be deflated as a result.

I expect WiiU to have 360 type launch demand but with better supply which should lead to good sales in January and probably February.

Only 11 posts.

Guessing this is what he registered his account for.

Hell just yesterday a dude filled thread after thread with a long rant against Evilore.

He had very few posts.

I don't see why someone would sign up, and wait just so they can say something completely asinine and useless...

Oh wait... I did that too.

When would one expect the Wii U to have sustained sales advantage over the current gen HD consoles collectively?

I think collectively the 360 and PS3 are currently fulfilling the role that the PS2 had at the end of last gen/start of this gen.

From what I have for PS2 and 360 sales through to the first holiday with all the current gen systems launched.

Nov 05
PS2: 546K
360: 332K

Dec 05
PS2: 1.5M
360: 281K

Jan 06
PS2: 272K
360: 249K

Feb 06
PS2: 299K
360: 161K

Mar 06
PS2: 273K
360: 192K

Shortages end?

Apr 06
PS2: 207K
360: 295K

May 06
PS2: 232K
360: 221K

Jun 06
PS2: 312K
360: 277K

Jul 06
PS2: 241K
360: 207K

Aug 06
PS2: 262K
360: 204K

Sep 06
PS2: 307K
360: 259K

Oct 06
PS2: 235K
360: 218K

Nov 06
PS2: 664K
360: 511K

Dec 06
PS2: 1.4M
360: 1.1M

I was looking at the numbers going down of the last little while and ive been wondering if having two essentially equal systems is actually good for gamers instead of one more dominate one ala PS2. Now here me out, the ps2 dropped prices faster and was able to support more games as devs didnt have to worry abotu fragmenting their user base so they made more games ( i have no facts to back this up, just my gut feeling). Gamers also could expect more people to play more games for longer online as there were simply larger numbers.

I know that competition is supposed to be good and I beleive in the free market but are we certain thats the best? So many people her swear the PS2 was the best not because its hardware was the best but because the games were... well didnt it having the monopoly drive that or is it the monopoly that drove the games?

Wasnt the PS2 like 1/3 the price or something by that point?

When would one expect the Wii U to have sustained sales advantage over the current gen HD consoles collectively?

I think collectively the 360 and PS3 are currently fulfilling the role that the PS2 had at the end of last gen/start of this gen.

From what I have for PS2 and 360 sales through to the first holiday with all the current gen systems launched.

Nov 05
PS2: 546K
360: 332K

Dec 05
PS2: 1.5M
360: 281K

Jan 06
PS2: 272K
360: 249K

Feb 06
PS2: 299K
360: 161K

Mar 06
PS2: 273K
360: 192K

Shortages end?

Apr 06
PS2: 207K
360: 295K

May 06
PS2: 232K
360: 221K

Jun 06
PS2: 312K
360: 277K

Jul 06
PS2: 241K
360: 207K

Aug 06
PS2: 262K
360: 204K

Sep 06
PS2: 307K
360: 259K

Oct 06
PS2: 235K
360: 218K

Nov 06
PS2: 664K
360: 511K

Dec 06
PS2: 1.4M
360: 1.1M

Wasnt the PS2 like 1/3 the price or something by that point?
From what I can find it was $149 until the end of April 2006, at which point it dropped to $129.

So between November 05 to April 06 it was between 37.5% to 50% the price of the 360, depending upon the model. And from May 06 onwards it was 32.5% to 43.3% the price of the 360.

I think most are expecting the Wii U to launch at $300. So it's unlikely the current gen HD systems will be able to undercut that much.

The PS3 refresh will put it at 60% (16GB), 76.7% (250GB) and 90% (500GB).

I expect MS will expand the $99 subscription 360. They probably have quite a lot of room to move for an across the board price cut if they want to though, probably as low as $150 subscription-less if not lower.

We don't know if the WiiU is launching worldwide yet. If they are, that means less units. If EUR gets delayed then there will be more units for US.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Good work, JVM, as usual.

..yet sadly without ASP´s

Awesome article once again jvm. Much appreciated.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Some more going up later this week.

Oh, Hammer24... :)
X360 = $264
PS3 = $271
PSV = $259

I didn't have a use for them in this month's article, since I didn't get around to talking about hardware.

I will go ahead and say that I don't see a viable way for the PSV to move forward. The hardware is too expensive, not for what it is necessarily but for what the mass market wants. I've said earlier in this thread that I don't think the mass market is even aware that the PSV exists, and the software available for it isn't helping to raise its profile. They're still under 700K in the U.S., by my estimation using public data. At this rate, they won't break a million until November.

In last month's article, I commented on what GameStop offered for the PSV: 33 titles, 11 of them unavailable except in stores. This month the count is 35 titles, 16 of them unavailable except in stores. GameStop is probably 25% of the new video game retail market, in my estimation (across hardware, software, accessories) and I wonder if we should look at their offerings as an indication of where they see things headed.

Sony has utterly failed to provide either the chicken or the egg. What do they do now? I've suggested a measured retreat from the international market and a focus on making it a Japanese device, but I'm honestly at a loss for what they can do at this point.

Finally, before anyone jumps to conclusions, this is not because I'm a Sony-hater or a MS/Nintendo-fanboy. You'll find me happily posting in the PS Store threads here every week, and I'm a proud owner of a PSP Go packed with games I bought off the store. I hope that my time here on GAF speaks to this, but I feel compelled to simply get that out there.

Hammer24

Banned
Oh, Hammer24... :)
X360 = $264
PS3 = $271
PSV = $259

Thx, mate! :)

Sony has utterly failed to provide either the chicken or the egg. What do they do now? I've suggested a measured retreat from the international market and a focus on making it a Japanese device, but I'm honestly at a loss for what they can do at this point.

They need to give it cell phone functionality. IMO thats the only way to separate it in todays market landscape.

Hammer24

Banned
No problem.

It would be interesting to know if the Xbox 360 ASP is dropping as a result of their $100 service-plan system or what. I should ask.

I guess the several bundles and especially the Star Wars edition artificially inflated the ASP.
But some info how succesfull the 99$ service thingy is, would be really nice.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This is why sales are so bad imo. 360 and PS3 asp are lie 60-70 dollars higher than they should be especially at this point in the gneration. Also the 3G Vita is dead.
As others have noted in this thread already, the FEB is still available new from lots of places. It's really alarming. :(

No problem.

It would be interesting to know if the Xbox 360 ASP is dropping as a result of their $100 service-plan system or what. I should ask.

That would be good. It'd give us an idea on how well the $99 plan option is working out also.

As for Vita, it's a product that the market didn't ask for and that is clearly reflected in the sales. Lower price points and game won't help it.

As others have noted in this thread already, the FEB is still available new from lots of places. It's really alarming. :(

Which is inflating the price even more. I think Sony has a contract with AT&T though so dropping the 3G Vita is not an option even if they want to. In my opinion, this is just going to be a long ride out until Sony gives up on the thing.

Top Bottom