• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

Huff

Banned
Anyone know how long the blops ps3 bundle deal was supposed to last. Amazon doesn't currently have any and not because it says they are out of stock.

shinnn

Stumpokapow said:
PS2 launched in October 2000 -> 6th full calendar year would be 2006.
360 launched in November 2005 -> 6th full calendar year would be 2011.
Hope the one month offset in initial launch doesn't prejudice using a calendar year comparison.

PS2 2006 -> 360 2011:
January 272,4xx -> 381,xxx (360 beats ps2)
February 309,2xx -> 535,xxx (360 beats ps2)
March 276,8xx -> 433,xxx (360 beats ps2)
April 206,9xx -> 297,xxx (360 beats ps2)
May 231,6xx -> 270,xxx (360 beats ps2)
June 311,9xx -> 507,xxx (360 beats ps2)
July 241,9xx
August 262,4xx
Sep 306,5xx
Oct 235,0xx
Nov 664,xxx
Dec 1,394,xxx

So, uh, yeah.
Code:
PS2 vs X360 (6th year lifespan):

PS2     X360
Jan     272K    381K
Feb     309K    535K
Mar     276K    433K
Apr     207K    297K
May     232K    270K
Jun     312K    507K
Total  1,608   2,423
PS2 = $129.99 (?)
X360 = 199.99 or 299.99 (plus Kinect)

I think the Wii fits better with PS2. X360 is a totally different thing right now. lol

It's not based on any logical reasoning, but for some reason the PS3 just seems more boring to me. Not talking about the games or any of that but just the overall product itself. It's almost like it is too understated in every possible way, down to the design of the console and the packaging. Games, hardware, and value wise it is an amazing device.

It just lacks that "sexiness" that other electronic devices seem to have.

SkylineRKR

Meisadragon said:
PS3 hasn't had a price drop since 2009, and according to the numbers parminedes posted, it's actually selling a lot WW, so I don't think Sony is feeling pressured right now. They haven't increased their fiscal year projection as well, so yeah, $50 price cut max. They need to do something about the US market, though. Right now it is slipping away from them.

Thats the thing, Sony doesn't need to price drop in Europe and in Japan. They are practically number one in Europe since the Slim was being released, and before that they were number 2 behind the Wii. In Japan they are one eyed king in the land of the blind, best selling console but consoles sell so so there anyway.

Its America where they can't keep up. And America is the only place where Kinect seems to be a success. Sony can't offer anything remotely like it. A price drop will maybe net them a few more units sold a month, but they need something to one up Kinect to truly succeed. Move is not it.

Sydle

Stumpokapow said:
PS2 launched in October 2000 -> 6th full calendar year would be 2006.
360 launched in November 2005 -> 6th full calendar year would be 2011.
Hope the one month offset in initial launch doesn't prejudice using a calendar year comparison.

PS2 2006 -> 360 2011:
January 272,4xx -> 381,xxx (360 beats ps2)
February 309,2xx -> 535,xxx (360 beats ps2)
March 276,8xx -> 433,xxx (360 beats ps2)
April 206,9xx -> 297,xxx (360 beats ps2)
May 231,6xx -> 270,xxx (360 beats ps2)
June 311,9xx -> 507,xxx (360 beats ps2)
July 241,9xx
August 262,4xx
Sep 306,5xx
Oct 235,0xx
Nov 664,xxx
Dec 1,394,xxx

So, uh, yeah.

I am impress. Way to go MS.

KageMaru

walking fiend said:
depends on the price, launched at 299$ and below, it'll sell like pasta. Point is, HD consoles haven't sold much more than 100 million combined, even if we exclude thoses with bricked consoles or both consoles, and if the departure from core PC market and PS2 numbers are anything to go by, there are at least 50 million core gamer that don't own an HD console. At the right price, Wii U being a next gen console, will be really attractive. Unless they somehow manage to fuck up Online.

Wouldn't the PS3 or 360 be more in line with this "right price" than the Wii-U? Especially considering how both systems will likely see price drops this year.

This generation has taught us that it is important to be the first out of the gate (even if it means launching with major hardware problems) and launching at a reasonable price. Oh, and that first and second party games are a minor bullet point when people are buying the cheaper HD console just to play Madden or Call of Duty. Sony has image problems and I don't think they'll ever recover. That's with multiple price drops, free online gaming, and exclusive titles.

Gravijah

ThisWreckage said:
This generation has taught us that it is important to be the first out of the gate (even if it means launching with major hardware problems) and launching at a reasonable price. Oh, and that first and second party games are a minor bullet point when people are buying the cheaper HD console just to play Madden or Call of Duty. Sony has image problems and I don't think they'll ever recover. That's with multiple price drops, free online gaming, and exclusive titles.

You're forgetting XBOX Live, which people seem to take for granted.

KageMaru said:
Wouldn't the PS3 or 360 be more in line with this "right price" than the Wii-U? Especially considering how both systems will likely see price drops this year.
Subtracting the PS360 ltd from the PS2 ltd is a dubious way of determining how many core gamers are out there...it's not as if all PS2 owners were core gamers by whatever the modern definition is, and it's not as if all Wii owners are casuals. I really find it hard to believe, based on the playtime numbers we get from Nielson, that there are a significant number of gamers still clinging onto their PS2s hoping for a next-gen savior.

Shiggy

walking fiend said:
Shinen is how budget or hight?

I mean, why don't they develop for PS3/XBLA/Steam instead? Aren't those much better markets?

They found their niche there, but I doubt that they'll do any further WiiWare projects as even they noticed the downturn of WiiWare with FAST.

Jomjom

Banned
outunderthestars said:
It's not based on any logical reasoning, but for some reason the PS3 just seems more boring to me. Not talking about the games or any of that but just the overall product itself. It's almost like it is too understated in every possible way, down to the design of the console and the packaging. Games, hardware, and value wise it is an amazing device.

It just lacks that "sexiness" that other electronic devices seem to have.
I kind of see it as the exact opposite. I feel like the ps3 is perhaps a bit too exotic, too complicated a machine as to not feel like its for everyone. The ps2 and I feel, now the 360, have that mass, friendly appeal of "we are just fun video game machines" for joe six pack and kids alike.

man they really should have kept Child of Eden a XBLA game.

that game at $15 on XBLA that game would have probably made more money.

On the plus side the Ps3 version is 14:99 for pre order on amazon Uk right now so I will probably pre order that on the weekend.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ThisWreckage said:
Wouldn't last gen teach you that too? Cube and Xbox were dead even before they launched. PS2 had about a year and a half on both systems. Cube launched in NA right when FFX, MGS2, GTA3, GT3, and basically every big gun was out. Xbox wasn't even out in one area before all that hit.

EagleEyes

SkylineRKR said:
Thats the thing, Sony doesn't need to price drop in Europe and in Japan. They are practically number one in Europe since the Slim was being released, and before that they were number 2 behind the Wii. In Japan they are one eyed king in the land of the blind, best selling console but consoles sell so so there anyway.

Its America where they can't keep up. And America is the only place where Kinect seems to be a success. Sony can't offer anything remotely like it. A price drop will maybe net them a few more units sold a month, but they need something to one up Kinect to truly succeed. Move is not it.
You do know that the 360 sells better in the UK, Canada and more than likely Australia too. Its not just America.

jling84 said:
I kind of see it as the exact opposite. I feel like the ps3 is perhaps a bit too exotic, too complicated a machine as to not feel like its for everyone. The ps2 and I feel, now the 360, have that mass, friendly appeal of "we are just fun video game machines" for joe six pack and kids alike.
Haha. Good one.
I have no idea what functionality about the ps3 is too complicated or exotic for the 360. Sure, the 360 makes it more sexy and more fun looking, but that's the point the other poster was making wasn't it?
Just go to the PS3 dashboard, it's BORING. It's stale. It doesn't scream "hey, check me out." It has very little functionality that the 360 doesn't have, but it doesn't sell the functionality that it does have. You have to wander around in the stupid dull menus to find it.

Wouldn't the PS3 or 360 be more in line with this "right price" than the Wii-U?Especially considering how both systems will likely see price drops this year.
market wise or logical?

logical, of course buying a next gen system even double the price of other HD consoles is much more logical.

Market wise, I believe that depends on the support for Wii U. If it gets better games, people will start jumping on board, if not, people won't; even if Wii U is potentially capable as a next gen device and even if this is proved by few titles from Nintendo, it wouldn't justify the price, unless Nintendo magically manages to launch it at 249$.

man they really should have kept Child of Eden a XBLA game.
They should have made a Wii version.

They found their niche there, but I doubt that they'll do any further WiiWare projects as even they noticed the downturn of WiiWare with FAST.
really a shame, hope they don't abandon nintendo completely, specially since their 3DS game will probably wont sell much

SkylineRKR

jling84 said:

The Ps3 with its updates, installs and XMB is certainly less in your face than the 360 is. Its more of a hardcore gamers machine, with its higher price and lots of single player games still coming from Sony itself.

For something that launched a year later than the 360, the Ps3 isn't all that impressive. A lot of multiplatform games underperform, the online infrastructure and Store is less streamlined and the overall XMB design is so too. It didn't one up the competition while it had a full year to look at them. Sony initially prioritized the infiltration of BR and Cell into peoples homes more than to deliver a gaming machine imo.

But its currently my favourite console regardless.

shintoki said:
Wouldn't last gen teach you that too? Cube and Xbox were dead even before they launched. PS2 had about a year and a half on both systems. Cube launched in NA right when FFX, MGS2, GTA3, GT3, and basically every big gun was out. Xbox wasn't even out in one area before all that hit.

Yep that's one thing that won't happen next gen Sony or MS will not let each get such a head start.
PS3 come out 1 plus year later in EU and the 600 price that won't happen next gen.

Mrbob

ThisWreckage said:

I guess this is one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is Sony has established itself as a dominating force in terms of a first party publisher this generation, so when future systems come out that don't make the same early mistakes as PS3 they are going to benefit more from it.

I wish we could get access to NPD data, because I'd love to see the break down on Sony first party software sold on PS3 versus PS2. Even on a smaller install base we have first party titles constantly showing up in the top 10 in sales. Gran Turismo sold an insane amount on PS2, but outside of that the return on PS3 software sales have to be much higher.

Maybe I'm interpreting this data differently, but it seems to me that the success of Kinect is having a bigger impact on the Wii than the PS3.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Magic Ovaries said:
Age of expensive dedicated portable gaming devices with $40 games is over. Its not 3DS vs. Vita. Is 3DS/Vita vs. Android/iOS.

3DS and Vita are in the same boat.

And they will beat the Android/iOS crowd when it comes to games.

RaijinFY

sTeLioSco said:
cant believe shadows of the damned on 2 platforms sold 24,000 copies!
i thought that's impossible to happen,when was it released?

"Child of Eden, the NPD told Joystiq, sold approximately 34,000 units in its debut month, ranking at number 83. At the same time, Shadows of the Damned managed to sell 24,000 copies, combined, on PS3 and Xbox 360. Damn."
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/15/zelda-sold-well-in-june-child-of-eden-and-shadows-of-the-damned/

And people wonder why japanese developers are focusing on handhelds...

ThisWreckage said:
This generation has taught us that it is important to be the first out of the gate (even if it means launching with major hardware problems) and launching at a reasonable price.
Unless you're Sega, eh?

Mr_Brit

Banned
RaijinFY said:
And people wonder why japanese developers are focusing on handhelds...
Japanese gamers aren't buying Western titles but Western studios aren't retreating to handhelds. The only reason Japanese devs are moving to handhelds is because Japanese gamers have shown that they want portability over the experiences PC/consoles can do.

Edit: Also, Child of Eden and Shadows of the Damned are incredibly niche games and anyone who expected them to do much, much better than they did was crazy, that's not to say that they shouldn't have done closer to 50K though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mr. B Natural said:
That's all well and good (and surprising) but what made the ps2 such a beast was the global domination. But, you gotta figure the unfairness of such a comparison. The cards were stacked for Sony in that regard.

How were they stacked?

Shiggy

sTeLioSco said:
cant believe shadows of the damned on 2 platforms sold 24,000 copies!
i thought that's impossible to happen,when was it released?

Most didn't even know that it was released, I wondered when I saw the OT on GAF to be honest.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Mr_Brit said:
Edit: Also, Child of Eden and Shadows of the Damned are incredibly niche games and anyone who expected them to do much, much better than they did was crazy, that's not to say that they shouldn't have done closer to 50K though.

Almost 45 mil install base for the HD twins in the US and the game managed to shift 25k copies... I don't know what to say.

Jin34

Mr_Brit said:
Japanese gamers aren't buying Western titles but Western studios aren't retreating to handhelds. The only reason Japanese devs are moving to handhelds is because Japanese gamers have shown that they want portability over the experiences PC/consoles can do.

It's because Nintendo owners don't buy 3rd party g... oh wait. Also as, someone who loved No More Heroes, I had zero clue when this game was coming out much less that it was out already. It's damn near publisher malpractice.

jvm

Gamasutra.
gundamkyoukai said:
Talking about the PS2 they will never be another system like it .
I wonder what the LTD is for it in USA.
I have it at 46 million. I don't believe it will ever hit 47 million.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Jin34 said:
It's because Nintendo owners don't buy 3rd party g... oh wait. Also as, someone who loved No More Heroes, I had zero clue when this game was coming out much less that it was out already. It's damn near publisher malpractice.
Same here. If it wasn't for GAF mentioning it in nearly every thread I would have no idea the game came out. This is a textbook case of how you don't market a niche Japanese game.

RedStep

TheOddOne said:
That isn't so crazy, because EA did nothing to promote it.

In addition, it's like people don't understand the concept of "niche". Most people don't want to play a game where you chase lingerie-clad chicks around in hell while you jerk off lamps and shoot things with your Hot Boner.

I love the thing, but the whole concept is incredibly offputting to people, by design. It was created for a small group. That group could have been somewhat larger with advertising (judging from those on here that didn't know it came out), but it would never be a hit.

Alice, on the other hand, should have done better. I think the early reviews killed it. I almost didn't pick it up (user feedback swayed me).

Mr_Brit said:
Same here. If it wasn't for GAF mentioning it in nearly every thread I would have no idea the game came out. This is a textbook case of how you don't market a niche Japanese game.

Agreed, it goes to show their complete lack of understanding on what it takes to launch a niche title.

gerg said:
Well, then, I don't think that Motion+ really ever represented much potential for hardware sales momentum. As you yourself wrote, the gamer that bought the Wii for Wii Sports was happy with Wii Sports back in 2006.

Jokerpia has already popped the 'people only bought Wii Sports' myth (again) earlier in this thread. People who bought the Wii for Wii Sports went on to buy Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and WSR. But as the flow of motion control and pick-up-and-play games died down, so did hardware sales momentum. Hardware sales were driven by people inviting their friends over to play the latest big Wii game, creating a viral effect where their friends would go out and buy a Wii themselves. If the people who bought Wii in 2007 have nothing to play in 2010, word of mouth is not going to be there to drive sales.

gerg said:
I meant "upgrade" as in "buy a new console for new gameplay experiences". It was unclear, I admit.

Fair enough, but what new experiences is the Wii U offering that the Wii Sports gamer would want? Wii Sports brought the family together, Wii U allows one gamer to play alone, hunched over their controller while everyone else watches tv. Wii Sports was a great physical experience, Wii U has a touch screen. From the perspective of the Wii Sports gamer, Wii U seems like a downgrade.

Mael said:
Take it on the side of the customer for once :
You bought a Wii for the cool possibilities it could offer and the new gameplay and all you're greeted with (appart from the Wii line) are NSMBW, Mario Kart and a bunch of games you didn't buy on GC anyway (since you didn't buy a GC to begin with).
Why would you buy a new hardware from a manufacturer that never follow through on their promises anyway?
They should have released that Zelda game 2 years ago as it is, they should have made something interesting with WM+ but they really did nothing at all.

Yes. A lot of people on gaf overlook what has happened because they hated what Nintendo was doing from 2006-2008, so they didn't notice when Nintendo deviated from that strategy. But the ironic thing is, in spite of all the talk of Nintendo abandoning the "hardcore", Nintendo abandoned the Wii Sports gamer in a much more dramatic way, and it killed their console.

gerg said:
This may all be fair and true, but pragmatically you need to consider the situation in, say, 2010 in regards to a new project. At that point, no matter whose fault or blame it is, putting a major title on the Wii would be a waste.

Consider the sequence of events:

1) 2006-2008, Nintendo builds good will among customers, builds Wii brand.

2) *2009 -2011, Nintendo destroys good will among customers, destroys Wii brand.

3) 2012, Nintendo asks customers to spend $300 on a new Wii-branded product.

There's an argument to be made that they need to repair their image, fix the problem they are facing now, before they can move forward with new product releases. Otherwise, the Wii U has to be designed to repair the brand on its own. It has to convey the message, "sorry we fucked things up, but this product is much better". This can be done, but nothing about the Wii U suggests Nintendo is attempting this. Everything about Wii U seems to suggest that they are further abandoning the WS/WF/MK gamer.

*Nintendo made the right move by releasing NSMBW, and got a huge bump out of it, but it did not change the overall situation.

Cygnus X-1

I really hope anyway that Zelda will continue to spread around in popularity, because it's the only 3DS game with a well-made 3D effect that actually adds something great to the gameplay.

Now Majora's Mask please.

SkylineRKR said:
The Ps3 with its updates, installs and XMB is certainly less in your face than the 360 is. Its more of a hardcore gamers machine, with its higher price and lots of single player games still coming from Sony itself.

It's the updates and installs that are in your face. There are more OS/UI intrusions in using the PS3 than the 360. A lot more. The 360 UI is more about fun. It's simpler.

It's no more a hardcore gamer's machine than the 360. There are lots of PS3's in use as a dedicated blu-ray player while the 360 is always used as a game console (other than Netflix of course).

Sony's exclusives aren't that exciting. I have Heavy Rain, Folklore, Uncharted 2, MGS4, most of the PSN exclusives, and while they're very good, they are not in the same league as Halo 3 or Gears of War 2 in terms of fun. I'm not sure how else to put it, but I just don't have long gaming sessions with the PS3 exclusives for some reason. Even Forza 3 is more fun than Gran Turismo 5. I love my PS3 but this is why it sells less than 360, even though it's a better console in some ways. The 360 is more fun.

szaromir

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
They would have to sell 20 million more guess it will depend on when next gen gets here .
If there's no Xbox 3 in 2012, 360 should be at 40M 2 years from now at current pace of sales. Then it can slowly sell a couple million units, though it probably won't reach PS2.

jvm

Gamasutra.
gundamkyoukai said:
They would have to sell 20 million more guess it will depend on when next gen gets here .
In the past 12 months Microsoft has sold 7.3 million Xbox 360 systems in the U.S. That's the system's best 12-month period ever. So 20 million would take around 3 years at that best rate.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jvm said:
In the past 12 months Microsoft has sold 7.3 million Xbox 360 systems in the U.S. That's the system's best 12-month period ever. So 20 million would take around 3 years at that best rate.

As long as they continue to put up YOY increases, we can assume that the rolling 12 month number keeps increasing as well. Of course so much of the year is loaded into Nov/Dec that they need to be able to beat those to really move the needle all that much.

Jokeropia

walking fiend said:
btw, Wii is not the current market leader, because it doesn't move software and apparently people aren't playing much on it.
We really don't have anywhere near enough data for you to make that statement. The software sales are likely less than when there were more games released, but how much less and what the absolute numbers are we have no idea. I remember checking back when we got more data what percentage of total monthly sales that usually come from the top ten, and IIRC it was less than 20%.

Top Bottom