• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

MS PR stuff

June highlights from The NPD Group include:

· Xbox 360 sold 257,000 units in June, holding 47 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S. This marks the 16th consecutive month that Xbox 360 has held more than a 40 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S.

· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in June (hardware, software and accessories) reached $272 million, the most for any console in the U.S. Consumers spent more on Xbox 360 products than they spent on the other two current-generation consoles combined.

· Xbox 360 held four of the top 10 U.S. console game titles, including the top three titles. Xbox 360 titles in the top 10 included: “Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier,” “Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes,” “Max Payne 3” and “NBA 2K12.”

Xbox continues offering more ways to play with the launch of Kinect PlayFit, a new fitness dashboard that aggregates and tracks the calories you burn from playing Kinect games, including “Dance Central 2,” “Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012” and “Kinect Star Wars.”

Xbox 360 will also be at Comic-Con International in San Diego this week with a series of exciting events including “Halo 4” and “Gears of War” panel presentations.

50k is what you can expect for a good title on a 500-600k installed base. Nothing more nothing less.
At this stage software sales are completely bounded by the installed base.

Well not exactly Persona 4 Golden performed over 3x that on a audience only 200k bigger in Japan.

Petrae

Starting to think 360 may just have a chance to overtake Wii one day. Maybe into the next gen, but this fall could be a bloodbath as far monthly gaps. First to 10 right heh.

There's a gap of more than 4 million units to overcome, if you're talking about only US sales.

Wii will hit the 40MM mark in the US by year's end. It's over 39MM now. 360 will likely cross 35MM by October. Tough to say what happens for Nov-Dec. I could see the gap cut in half by year's end if Microsoft cuts 360 price for Q4, but that's a hunch.

Elios83

So do we have the PS3 number yet? Dont wanna back comb the thread to look, but 360 was 47% console share share So we can work it out.

Well not exactly Persona 4 Golden performed over 3x that on a audience only 200k bigger in Japan.

Persona is a big name for them, something that cannot be said for unknown games like Gravity Rush in the US. Japan is also well known for higher tie ratios (ex. see how MGS4 and FFXIII performed on PS3 when the installed base was really low).

FrankT

There's a gap of more than 4 million units to overcome, if you're talking about only US sales.

Wii will hit the 40MM mark in the US by year's end. It's over 39MM now. 360 will likely cross 35MM by October. Tough to say what happens for Nov-Dec. I could see the gap cut in half by year's end if Microsoft cuts 360 price for Q4, but that's a hunch.

If that is the case I definitly see it happening. Thought was still at least 5+. Wii will be so soft this fall. Really falling off the cliff already so to speak.

Starting to think 360 may just have a chance to overtake Wii one day. Maybe into the next gen, but this fall could be a bloodbath as far monthly gaps. First to 10 right heh.

Oh, I've been on that tip for like couple years now. It's actually fairly inevitable.

More likely though, we'll stop getting Wii sales numbers (as they continue to decline and after Wii U launches) so we wont know exactly when the crossover point occurs unless MS puts out a PR, but it'll happen.

So far this year the 360 is actually closing the gap slower than I expected, the reason being the hardware slowdown overall. It's hard to gain a lot when absolute numbers are so low. Still doesn't change the outcome, though.

Petrae

If that is the case I definitly see it happening. Thought was still at least 5+. Wii will be so soft this fall. Really falling off the cliff already so to speak.

I'd like to see Nintendo drop Wii to $100 and clear inventory. If that happens, we *could* see one last mild spike period. After that, though, I do agree that Wii will fade pretty quickly.

6m was the first forecast before they knew how the product would be actually received by the market.
And they did 3.5m.
For the next year they knew they had the price cut to 399$ and forecasted 10m units.
They actualy did 9.1m.
http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3_sale_e.html

But they knew they had a price cut coming.

Same thing for Vita, they know they have something coming up for Q4, and it's not just AC and COD.
Also Vita's forecast is a forecast to stay in the market, not something they can afford to miss by a big margin.

They held onto the 6 million up to a month before fiscal ended. Also, as you pointed out with the years that followed, Sony has had a very hard time hitting their projected numbers since 2006.

I don't own a Vita yet but my brother does. He's been complaining recently that there isn't anything to play on it and even tried to sell it on Craigslist.

I've tried several times to get him to pick up Gravity Rush but he shows no interest.Our local Gamestop even has it for $30 new and he still wouldn't bite. Something about it, I guess.

Elios83

They held onto the 6 million up to a month before fiscal ended. Also, as you pointed out with the years that followed, Sony has had a very hard time hitting their projected numbers since 2006.

That's simply not true. You're just sticking to the 6m vs 3.5m of the first year which was made before the product was actually launched while ignoring the rest:

FY2007 10m (fc) 9.1(act)
FY2008 10m (fc) 10.1(act)
FY2009 13m (fc) 13m(act)
FY2010 15m(fc) 14.3(act)
FY2011 15m(fc) 13.9(act)

They have a good track record not to mention that they have been mostly spot on with their PSP forecasts and they actually understimated PS2 for many years.
So if they're forecasting 10m for Vita they could do 9m, 8.x m in the worst case, but it's not like that the forecast will be cut in half or something like that.

Matt

So if they're forecasting 10m for Vita they could do 9m, 8.x m in the worst case, but it's not like that the forecast will be cut in half or something like that.

Umm, it very well could be. Thinking they have to sell at least 8 because they projected 10 misses the fact that they could be really, really wrong.

That's simply not true. You're just sticking to the 6m vs 3.5m of the first year which was made before the product was actually launched while ignoring the rest:

FY2006 06m (fc) 3.5(act)
FY2007 10m (fc) 9.1(act)
FY2008 10m (fc) 10.1(act)
FY2009 13m (fc) 13m(act)
FY2010 15m(fc) 14.3(act)
FY2011 15m(fc) 13.9(act)

They have a good track record not to mention that they have been mostly spot on with their PSP forecasts and they actually understimated PS2 for many years.

They were wrong 4 out 6 times. More than half. I wouldn't call that a good track record.

EVERY store around here had sold out of Pokemon Conquest very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if it would've cracked the top 5 had there been more units supplied.

Daknight

Man, love sales threat (giving my background in communication and marketing). Really bad about the Vita sales, like everyone says, games are what is need. BUT many are moving to 3DS and most likely to save money on assets since they could easily use PSP assets for it compare to creating new assets for Vita.

Though I might be wrong on the assets department, but that is just my personal take on sudden PSP franchise shift to 3DS. I just think is easier to reuse past assets that saves a ton of money in development and quick turn around for game release. Someone more inform could correct me if is hard to use PSP assets on 3DS or something.

I know the format has been like this for a while..

but holy hell I miss the old format. No guess-work, they just gave us all the numbers and the disc formats weren't pooled. This is just so boring.

Nice to see decent 3DS numbers. I recently bought one and am very happy with my purchase.

Elios83

They were wrong 4 out 6 times. More than half. I wouldn't call that a good track record.

What do you expect, to be 100% spot on every time with a forecast? It's called a 'forecast' for a reason.
It's a good track record because the numbers they want to hit have always been reasonable and in line with the actual results.
You're not seeing from Sony a 15m forecast becoming a 8m actual result or something like that.

Umm, it very well could be. Thinking they have to sell at least 8 because they projected 10 misses the fact that they could be really, really wrong.

Of course they can make a mistake, but if they're forecasting 10m it means they have a strategy in place to sell those (price cuts, games, bundles, whatever), they perfectly know what the Vita situation is right now, they know that people won't start buying those suddenly without a good reason.
They could be optimistic, but I doubt that we're going to see actual results dramatically different from what they expect (actual difference >15-20%)

Think 2008.

I dont know what this was getting at, I thought you were trying to hint PS3 sold as much in June 08 as this June. So I went back and looked at my data...

June 08

PlayStation 3 405.5k
PSP 337.4k
Playstation 2 188.8k
Xbox 360 219.8k
Wii 666.7k
Nintendo DS 783k

Umm, geez when was PS3 doing so good I dont recall that LOL, and wow@those numbers.

Elios83

I dont know what this was getting at, I thought you were trying to hint PS3 sold as much in June 08 as this June. So I went back and looked at my data...

Umm, geez when was PS3 doing so good I dont recall that LOL, and wow@those numbers.

MGS4 launch month + bundle.
A 600$ bundle :D

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Can you translate that into English?

If they forecast 10m in the middle of ongoing slow sales, they obviously have a plan. Whether they sell 8m or 12m is not terribly important. They expect sales to take off and they have a plan to make it happen. All it takes is a price drop and a big game and suddenly the crap on Vita meme does a 180. Remember the PS3 'has no games' meme?

Matt

If they forecast 10m in the middle of ongoing slow sales, they obviously have a plan. Whether they sell 8m or 12m is not terribly important. They expect sales to take off and they have a plan to make it happen. All it takes is a price drop and a big game and suddenly the crap on Vita meme does a 180. Remember the PS3 'has no games' meme?

Whatever you say man. I guess we'll see.

Razdek

Banned

You make sound so easy if that's all they have to do. Guess nobody has to worry about the Vita then.

I might be wrong, but I believe they also adjusted their forecasts (downwards) on two separate occasions.

They did so they were farther off then he is making it seem. They in fact had to lower the original numbers twice for the PS3. I think they were only right on the numbers a single time since launch.

Again, during the PS3 launch year they hit barely half they number of what was originally projected.

The system sold during this period was the very last system to even include BC with PS2 titles.

A plan? Its a random number that only highlights the failures at the top of Sony.
Vita was launched with no strategy, Vita has no strategy.

Its a terrible mess; the hardware is poorly designed (from a business POV; its too expensive and the design screams PSP not 'VITA' - major branding failure); the games are middling; the marketing at launch was terrible (it looked great, and the UK one would have made a fantastic PS3 ad, but not Vita) and is now non-existent; Sony are just not backing this system...in anyway - except the loss on each unit (if there is one).

Sony have a lot of problems at the top. Their bleeding money and have been for a long long time now; why on earth would they somehow be more competent with Vita?

Elios83

Again, during the PS3 launch year they hit barely half they number of what was originally projected.

And again that doesn't matter because that forecast was made before the product was launched, they didn't know that sales would nosedive until Jan/Feb 2007.
The 10m Vita forecast was made when they perfectly knew that Vita was not selling well. It's a completely different situation.
But still if you think that the 10m Vitas will become 4-6m in reality (if that's your point)....that's ok, we'll see how things will unfold :p

Kusagari

Resistance selling more than Gravity Rush is uber depressing.

You figure the few Vita owners there are would at least have taste.

MGS4 launch month. One of the only times has a game moved PS3 hardware. Pretty sure this was there biggest June ever for PS3.

Based on MS PR, I guess PS3 is at about 195k.

so with PS3 doing 195k, and 360 doing 257k isn't this a huge increase over last month? I thought 360 did around 190k last month, and PS3 did around ~150k? Isnt this good news? why always focus on the negative and compare to last year?

speedline

Banned
MGS4 launch month + bundle.
A 600$ bundle :D

It was sad a hell too that right after that they announced the 40GB was going to replace it killing off BC and all the extra slots. That MGS4 bundle was selling like hotcakes and they just killed all that momentum and never really got it back. Good job Sony :/

Resistance selling more than Gravity Rush is uber depressing.

You figure the few Vita owners there are would at least have taste.

where was this confirmed? and im sure the majority of the Gravity sales were done on the PSN due to the promotion. It was confirmed on IGN that Gravity Rush was the 2nd highest selling PSN game, with MGS HD collection being number 1. Vita games both took the top spots.

Petrae

MGS4 launch month. One of the only times has a game moved PS3 hardware. Pretty sure this was there biggest June ever for PS3.

so with PS3 doing 195k, and 360 doing 257k isn't this a huge increase over last month? I thought 360 did around 190k last month, and PS3 did around ~150k? Isnt this good news? why always focus on the negative and compare to last year?

YOY comparisons are usually one of the main tools in sales analysis. I do agree that, looking at monthly comparisons, there are some positives here. However, seeing that sales have settled back to 2008 & 2009 levels and with likely 12+ months left in this console cycle, there's some cause for concern.

It's not just PS3 that's regressed, either. Look at X360 sales for June 2008 and June 2009. The numbers are pretty similar. The difference is that the Wii juggernaut that was adding so much revenue is now all but dead. We can blame the Wii and Nintendo for this decline, as there was too long of a wait for the Wii's successor... but it can be argued that Microsoft and Sony are making the exact same mistake after better years in 2010 and 2011.

Remember the PS3 'has no games' meme?

You apparently don't, since the comparison between PS3's and Vita's announced software lineups at this point in their respective lifespans isn't remotely flattering to Vita. PS3 didn't turn around based on software that materialized out of nowhere while it was still selling abysmally.

canvee

Wow at the number of consoles that were sold back then, especially the ds. The market is so weak right now.

clemenx

Banned
Isn't DS selling too much still? Amazing how it gained the US crowd.

Surprised about Pokemon Conquest. Totally niche genre but even Pokemon can sell it.

I'm not US, but whenever I go to a store, I always see moms buying DSi XLs and completely ignoring the 3DS... Kids need to wise up!

mattchuuu

Neo Member
Week 36:

iTzfLbjEh3G9D.png

Week 38 (DS at the end of 2007)

i7a2UKQztSAYm.png

I don't know if that end spike is truly when DS sales went nuts. Both GBA and the DS have steep slopes at 12 month intervals (holiday sales) and that last DS jump happens at 12 months after the previous one. If we see another few months past this, we might see the sales slope return to normal. Just Sayin'

It was sad a hell too that right after that they announced the 40GB was going to replace it killing off BC and all the extra slots. That MGS4 bundle was selling like hotcakes and they just killed all that momentum and never really got it back. Good job Sony :/

Also it was the first system ever to ship with the DS3.

Top Bottom