• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Battlefield Premium sold 800,000 copies in two week. Even if we assume that only half of that was the U.S., that's still essentially a 400,000 copy selling game that would have once been retail.

Yeah, even if we were generous and said only 25% of that money spent was inelastic and 75% was elastic, that's still a 100,000 unit game out of commission.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, those lollipop numbers are surprising, but then again; I don't feel as if I should be surprised. WB did a decent advertising job, and every Gamestop I went past had the thing plastered on the front window.

Unlike EA who just through Shadows of the Damned out to fend for its self.

Bruno MB

Resident Evil: Revelations cratered even harder than I previously thought, it is a flop of epic proportions. After 5 months it hasn't even crawled up to 150,000. It's legs are atrocious.

What on earth went wrong here?

There is nothing noticeable to comment about the other remaining 19 games, it is a very predictable list.

3DS software is not selling bad at all; the only game that might be considered a flop is Revelations. Star Fox, for instance, did surprisingly well, it should be well above half a million units worldwide.

Ah, so my Kid Icarus prediction was pretty spot on (270-290k in US). I'd say it worked out pretty well looking at where it could have ended up.

Meanwhile, no doubt the big 3 in America are OoT3D, Mario Kart 7, and SM3DLand. I suspect NSMB2 will join the trio this year and other releases will get close but not to that fabled million mark.

As I mentioned over on the Predictions thread, the raw PS3 number was closer to 190K (2008 levels) than 195K.

How so? With the Wii at 95k and MS at 257k holding 47% of the market share that puts PS3 at almost exactly 195k. According to my calculator if Sony sold 195k+Wii 95k, MS would have 46.98% market share which is extremely close to 47%. 257/547*100= 46.98%

Ah, so my Kid Icarus prediction was pretty spot on (270-290k in US). I'd say it worked out pretty well looking at where it could have ended up.

Meanwhile, no doubt the big 3 in America are OoT3D, Mario Kart 7, and SM3DLand. I suspect NSMB2 will join the trio this year and other releases will get close but not to that fabled million mark.

Kid Icarus could still sell well during the year and in particular during holiday season.

This year, Epic Mickey and Paper Mario could become big as well.

Petrae

How so? With the Wii at 95k and MS at 257k holding 47% of the market share that puts PS3 at almost exactly 195k. According to my calculator if Sony sold 195k+Wii 95k, MS would have 46.98% market share which is extremely close to 47%. 257/547*100= 46.98%

Having the data in front of me eliminates the need to do the math based on PR clues. While those of us who do have the data can't explicitly leak specific details, we can point extrapolations or estimates from others in the right direction. 195K is higher than the exact number. 190K is closer.

Having the data in front of me eliminates the need to do the math based on PR clues. While those of us who do have the data can't explicitly leak specific details, we can point extrapolations or estimates from others in the right direction. 195K is higher than the exact number. 190K is closer.

gotcha.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3DS software is not selling bad at all; the only game that might be considered a flop is Revelations. Star Fox, for instance, did surprisingly well, it should be well above half a million units worldwide.

Indeed.
Not talking about the two big Mario titles. Zelda is still selling, it's over a million now, great result.
Pokèmon Rumble near 400k, considering it's a spin-off and it'll continue to sell, is not bad at all.
SF64 did pretty well, Super Street Fighter IV too.
Kid Icarus has been released at the end of March, and it'll continue to sell ( it's also one of Nintendo's targets ), I wouldn't be surprised to see it being much higher at the end of the year.
Lego SW3 did good, also due to being one of the launch games, Pilotwings the same, even if I thought it was lower.
Sonic at almost 250k...and it started with less than 20k in its first days, that's almost in line with the Wii version of Unleashed, and it's pretty possible it's the best selling SKU of the game ( if it isn't, it's almost there).
Spyro good. I'd like so much to have number for PS360 versions of the game ( it's obvious the Wii one is the best selling SKU )
Not bad Mario & Sonic, and it's almost time for the real Olympics, so it'll increase its sales as well as the Wii version
Nintendogs at 500k basically...eh, let's see where it'll go in the future. Lego PotC is decent, and maybe it shows that Lego sales on 3DS will really increase when there will be no DS SKU anymore.
RE:Revelations is a flop, now we can say it. The scary thing is that while basically all the 3DS games in the top 20 showed / are showing some legs, RE isn't selling during time, it's a sharp contrast compared to the other games. Even Tales of the Abyss is obtaining selling during the time, hell.
Finally, both Asphalt 3D and Rayman 3D sold TOO MUCH :lol
So far, 3DS' software sales can be considered pretty positively in general, with just Revelations as a (not so little) delusion.

Bruno MB

Just Japan + US is more than that.

Yep, worst case scenario for Resident Evil: Revelations is around 500,000 - 550,000 units sold.

Japan - 272,000
US - A little bit below 150,000
Europe - (We only know that it sold 20,000 units in France as of 30 April) At least it should be over 100,000 units.

DGRE

Banned
Right game, wrong time, wrong platform. Game should be moved to whatever platform they can get it, it's amazing and it'll should sell.

It definitely wasn't the wrong platform. It really played to all of the 3DS' strengths. Some games just aren't big seller on handhelds. Look at Peacewalker. Even when it was included in the HD collection it didn't prove to be much of an incentive.

It definitely was on the wrong platform. I imagine an XBLA/PSN/Wii U ware port a year or two down the line will do better.

Some games just aren't big seller on handhelds.

This means it wasn't on the right platform. It isn't a complete knock on the 3DS itself. Some games are better suited to consoles.

DR2K

Banned
It definitely wasn't the wrong platform. It really played to all of the 3DS' strengths. Some games just aren't big seller on handhelds. Look at Peacewalker. Even when it was included in the HD collection it didn't prove to be much of an incentive.

Sales wise it was the wrong platform. Especially considering the sales the console RE got. And that was horrible.

Mpl90

It definitely was on the wrong platform. I imagine an XBLA/PSN/Wii U ware port a year or two down the line will do better.

This means it wasn't on the right platform. It isn't a complete knock on the 3DS itself. Some games are better suited to consoles.

I think the real problem is not the platform ( it plays a role, but it isn't just that), but how the game has been promoted, even Capcom almost forgot it exsisted. There have been more commercials for SSFIV 3D Edition, just to say. And maybe, the type of gameplay too, unfortunately.

samman6

I can tell you that in Europe Revelations is more expensive then a normal 3ds game, not sure in US. Granted I live in Czech Republic and they have crazy prices here.

Yeah, even if we were generous and said only 25% of that money spent was inelastic and 75% was elastic, that's still a 100,000 unit game out of commission.

hey stumps - i don't frequent sales-age, what do elastic/inelastic mean here?

Aaah, that's a pleasant start to my morning. I can't express how much I hated the demo for this game.

that's really a shame, it's the kind've game a handheld fan should champion - it looks and plays great when you get into it, and as said prior, plays to the strengths of the 3DS well for an early title. i hate seeing it bomb like this because it tells capcom to just put out easier stuff like Mercenaries in stead, when id like to see that engine used more.

Out of curiosity, are you expecting it to stabilize or continue its current rate of decline?

For reference: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...fyear_US_video_game_retail_sales_analysis.php

us-total-vg-revenue-1j8krk.png
This will mostly depend on Wii U performance; I suppose in worst case scenario it will only be able to compensate for the decrease in sale of current gen (Wii, 360 and PS3); so I guess it will stabilize.

In case Wii U manages to attract casual gamers, or 3DS XL vitalize the market, it will improve [Wii U will most probably give a good initial bump anyway, but it will fall into 2H]

Sulik2

I am still surprised at how many consoles the 360 is selling at its still high price point. How many are they gonna sell when it finally hits $99?

SmokyDave

that's really a shame, it's the kind've game a handheld fan should champion - it looks and plays great when you get into it, and as said prior, plays to the strengths of the 3DS well for an early title. i hate seeing it bomb like this because it tells capcom to just put out easier stuff like Mercenaries in stead, when id like to see that engine used more.

It's the kind've game that should've been dumped in a landfill and burnt.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
3DS top 20 LTD

01. SM 3D Land
2m

You did this for Mario and Uncharted, does it mean it sold anywhere from the lower mark, or does it mean it's near that mark? For example Uncharted may have sold 250k according to the chart. Or a million even.

And many thanks, without you, NPD threads would be a waste :).

It's the kind've game that should've been dumped in a landfill and burnt.
For being the only great handheld Resident Evil?

It might have been on the wrong platform, but the game itself is really good. Aside from the lumbering enemies feeling like they are missing a few frames of animation.

SmokyDave

everyday, thousands of opinions are posted on GAF. statistically speaking, at least one of them is empirically wrong.
congratulations, dave. today's your day.
The figures suggest I'm right ;)

Are you really trolling a game you only played the demo of? Get out of here with that nonsense
Did everything magically change by full release? No? Didn't think so.

I'm not trolling it, I'm just expressing joy that the only game I've truly hated didn't sell well.

For being the only great handheld Resident Evil?

It might have been on the wrong platform, but the game itself is really good. Aside from the lumbering enemies feeling like they are missing a few frames of animation.
And the fact that they don't seem to react to getting hit by bullets. And the awful dodge controls. And the awful everything controls. And the fact that it was shit.

The figures suggest I'm right ;)

Did everything magically change by full release? No? Didn't think so.

I'm not trolling it, I'm just expressing joy that the only game I've truly hated didn't sell well.

And the fact that they don't seem to react to getting hit by bullets. And the awful dodge controls. And the awful everything controls. And the fact that it was shit.

I don't know.

I thought it controlled as well as RE4. Except with more options. It doesn't have the fluidity of RE5 in either mechanics or tech but I expected that going into it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
New Nintendo charts are up. http://www.nintendo.com/games

June 2012 Wii
  1. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
  2. Just Dance 3
  3. Mario Party 9
  4. Zumba Fitness 2
  5. Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
  6. Super Mario Galaxy
  7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  8. Wii Sports
  9. Mario Super Sluggers
  10. Donkey Kong Country Returns

When I get my kid down for a nap, I'll put the rest up in my spreadsheets...
She was eating lunch, so I'm good now. Sheets updated.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXhc02VTSWzdF9VTmpSTUFSektUaG5jS1Yzc3lmN3c

us-total-vg-revenue-1j8krk.png

That's really not as bad as all the doom and gloom implies. Shows almost a normal generational trend, and still ahead of 2005-6.

And that ignores the burgeoning digital market on consoles, which is surely much stronger today than 05-6.

Mpl90

Let's post them

3DS June Chart

Mario Tennis Open
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Pilotwings Resort
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Sonic Generations

Wii June Chart

Just Dance 3
Mario Party 9
Zumba Fitness 2
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wii Sports
Mario Super Sluggers
Donkey Kong Country Returns

NDS June Chart

Pokémon Conquest
New Super Mario Bros.
LEGO Battles: Ninjago
Mario Kart DS
Pokémon White Version
Pokémon Black Version
Super Mario 64 DS
Plants vs Zombies
Mario Party DS

Ok, Mario Tennis being first in June is unexpected. Probably, with bundles counted, it's behind 3D Land, but still, surprising. No Spiderman in 3DS top 10, despite being the best selling Nintendo SKU. All the rest is normal.
Let's see the TTM charts.

3DS TTM Chart

Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Star Fox 64 3D
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Sonic Generations
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games

Wii TTM Chart

Just Dance 3
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Zumba Fitness 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Sports
Zumba Fitness
Just Dance 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii

DS TTM Chart

New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Cars 2: The Video Game
Plants vs Zombies
Pokémon White Version
Pokémon Black Version
LEGO Battles: Ninjago
Kirby Mass Attack
Super Mario 64 DS
Monster High Ghoul Spirit

If only we had numbers for DS and Wii too, gah. We can make analysis just on 3DS specific Chart.

We have M&S under Star Wars. Now we know M&S is near 200k. Considering this chart examines the period between July 2011 and June 2012, Star Wars III lacks datas of March ( the launch month), April, May, June. Considering it was the third best selling game at launch, this means in this chart is at around 200k and its LTD is more than 250k, probably around 270-280k. And Kid Icarus Uprising is higher than that.

jvm: Could you link the 2011 Nintendo software document too, please? :D

Top Bottom