• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2011 Sales Results [Update 2: Super Street Fighter IV 3D]

FrankT

MIMIC said:
Where are the PS3 numbers? Under lock and key or something? Jeez

I expect to never see them again unless Sony actually wins in a month. So as I expected when NPD clamped down this last month there are going to be major holes from here on out. Only way we are going to get them is from some "source" from some news site and who knows if that will even happen from here on out.

gregor7777 said:
360 sales are truly impressive. Who would have thought?

Wonder if those are active sales. heh

Anyhow, last year they had the best start of the year ever and ended with the best year yet. This year they are up a good bit over that for the first quarter. If they can deliver a price cut in the fall and maybe some upgraded HW they may have no problem beating last year even.

miksar

It is funny how success of the original DS is both 3DS's biggest strength and weakness. Also the software sales chart confirms that mostly core Nintendo crowd bought 3DS on launch. Ghost Recon having zero advertising and still outperforming Nintendogs is amazing.

Jtyettis said:
I expect to never see them again unless Sony actually wins in a month. So as I expected when NPD clamped down this last month there are going to be major holes from here on out. Only way we are going to get them is from some "source" from some news site and who knows if that will even happen from here on out.

Wonder if those are active sales. heh

Anyhow, last year they had the best start of the year ever and ended with the best year yet. This year they are up a good bit over that for the first quarter. If they can deliver a price cut in the fall and maybe some upgraded HW they may have no problem beating last year even.
Price cut to 150 for arcade and 250 for Kinect bundle would be a killer price for the holidays.

LosDaddie

Banned
So, I guess Sony won't play nice unless they win a month. :lol

Anyway, great sales for X360!.... and the freakin' DS too!?! How is the DS still killing it in sales? Was it Pokemon?

Also, glad to see NBA 2k11 still selling great. Best BB game ever.

donny2112

CadetMahoney said:
Only in Dec was Nintendo able to beat them iirc. for the last 12 months or something.

360 has been the top-selling home console in 9 of the last 12 months in the U.S.

miksar said:
Also the software sales chart confirms that mostly core Nintendo crowd bought 3DS on launch.
speculawyer said:
Interesting . . . . 4 of the top 5 games are not from Nintendo.
?

Edit:
Oh, I get it. You're saying that core Nintendo crowd heavily favors third-party games. Makes sense.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
3rdman said:
Hiding in the embarrassment closet, obviously.
Releasing shipped numbers instead :p

Another 2.5million for Pokemon, Another 10million+ Worldwide when everything is said and done. Definitely be nice to get some numbers on the others too.

FrankT

infinityBCRT said:
Price cut to 150 for arcade and 250 for Kinect bundle would be a killer price for the holidays.

That's what I'm thinking plus the possibility of 500gb for the 250 SKU. 3 years is a long time with no cut. There will have been likely 2 by Nintendo and 2 by Sony come this fall so it's due.

Meus Renaissance said:
Sony refuse to release the monthly numbers? That is kinda sad

I dont understand why people say this. The PR response is more than enough to provide adequate information than aligning it on some spectrum...what matters is increase and either matching or yearly growth.

LosDaddie

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I dont understand why people say this.

Because it's nice, for comparison sakes, to have solid sales numbers in an NPD thread. It's really not that difficult to understand.

LosDaddie said:
Because it's nice, for comparison sakes, to have solid sales numbers in an NPD thread. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Utilizing history and simple mathematics one can deduce a range of values for these estimated sales numbers, so the lack of definitive numbers is not really that much of a loss.

Utilizing history and simple mathematics one can deduce a range of values for these estimated sales numbers, so the lack of definitive numbers is not really that much of a loss.
Can you deduce this months sales numbers?

kswiston

We know PS3 increased YoY. We Know it sold 313k last year. So we know Mar 2011 sales were >313k.

So basically

360>>PS3>Wii for March 2011. 360 has been significantly outselling the PS3 for many months now, so it is not a surprise that PS3 sales were lagging behind again this month. What is surprising is how quickly the Wii is dropping. Have we ever had a market leader suddenly stop being the market leader in new console sales a few years into the generation?

LosDaddie

Banned

Again, it's still nice to have solid sales numbers in an NPD thread. In fact, I'd say having such numbers is what an NPD thread is all about.

Souldriver said:
Can you deduce this months sales numbers?

Year over year growth, so its more than what PS3 did in March 2010. Further, we know that Microsoft was number one console selling for the month so its between was it 300K and less than 433 K. It isnt that hard to deduce the numbers and for comparisons sake everything has been answered about PS3 sales...

[Nintex]

"PlayStation" increased YoY, we don't know if Sony's talking about PS3, PSP, PS2 or if they lump in Move sales as well. Probably the latter because they would've given their numbers if they had beaten the Wii.

[Nintex] said:
"PlayStation" increased YoY, we don't know if Sony's talking about PS3, PSP, PS2 or if they lump in Move sales as well. Probably the latter because they would've given their numbers if they had beaten the Wii.

I'm pretty sure it's only the PS3, otherwise, people wouldn't be so certain about the 313 number.

[Nintex] said:

NPD says: The PSP, Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms each enjoyed a unit sales increase over last March. The PSP benefitted from a $40/unit price reduction which occurred at the beginning of the reporting period."

[Nintex]

mentalfloss said:
I'm pretty sure it's only the PS3, otherwise, people wouldn't be so certain about the 313 number.
Sony said this:
Sony NPD: "PlayStation saw double digit growth across hardware and peripherals, signaling continued momentum for the PlayStation platform."

"PlayStation peripherals have now achieved double-digit growth for 19 consecutive months, according to NPD."
The PlayStation brand had a double digit growth, they pretty combined all their hardware to signal continued momentum for the PlayStation platform.

NPD says: The PSP, Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms each enjoyed a unit sales increase over last March. The PSP benefitted from a $40/unit price reduction which occurred at the beginning of the reporting period."
Ah never mind, than the 313k number does sound likely.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
[Nintex] said:

From the OP:

"The PSP, Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms each enjoyed a unit sales increase over last March.

So yes, it did beat the Wii, and sold more than 313K.

The PS3 numbers are not particularly bad, it's just the Xbox is doing very well (both for the time of year and sustained annual growth).

Sony is in a very difficult position. The only thing that could spur higher sales is a price reduction, the 'added value' proposition is no longer viable.

And of course if this were to happen, Microsoft can react immediately.

Loudninja

Last March:
PlayStation 3 313,900
Sony PlayStation Portable 119,900
Sony PlayStation 2 118,300

The PS3 and the PSP sold more this March than last March.

Opus Angelorum said:
The PS3 numbers are not particularly bad, it's just the Xbox is doing very well (both for the time of year and sustained annual growth).

Sony is in a very difficult position. The only thing that could spur higher sales is a price reduction, the 'added value' proposition is no longer viable.

They are most likely making a sizeable amount of money on each PS3 unit, perhaps they should just lower the PS3 price when sales get to under like 275K levels or something.

Elios83

Opus Angelorum said:

That doesn't mean a lot, everyone follows its own pattern.
Just to make an example a PS3 at 199$ would boost sales much more than any realistic price cut Microsoft could do for the 360 would.

French

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

PS3 is selling better worldwide. No need for a price drop.

Elios83 said:
That doesn't mean a lot, everyone follows its own pattern.
Just to make an example a PS3 at 199$ would boost sales much more than any realistic price cut Microsoft could do for the 360 would.

Pretty much. When 360 sales numbers drop, it would make more sense to have a price drop. The Wii is really in need of a price drop more than any other system right now.

I don't think there are any "leap months" in there throwing off the day count, but here's a launch comparison using old known NPD numbers and the days they were available that month.

Left to right (and thus steepest to shallowest lines) are DS, PSP, 3DS, Wii, X360, and PS3.
21kxyl2.png

Of course, things might look different if they'd all had huge supply day one.

miksar

donny2112 said:
Oh, I get it. You're saying that core Nintendo crowd heavily favors third-party games. Makes sense.
I'm saying that Nintendogs position shows that it was not casual crowd for sure. And I don't see anything wrong with core Nintendo crowd buying heavily advertised SSF4 and well-received Ghost Recon instead of totally niche Steel Diver.

kswiston

LosDaddie said:
Why would that be?

Well 360 Arcade units have been on sale at retailers like Best buy and Walmart for $99-130 multiple times already, and the retail price is $199 for the 4GB unit. People have been able to get affordable 360 for some time now. PS3 has always been $299+

$300 is a lot better than $500-600, but it is still outside the price range for some gamers.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kagari said:
Microsoft already has a $199 unit.

True, but do we know what percentage the Arcade SKU makes up of the total X360 sales? I kinda agree the PS3 would have a larger sales boost at $199, but I don't think it would be too much larger than the X360 Core SKU at $199.

kswiston said:
Well 360 Arcade units have been on sale at retailers like Best buy and Walmart for $99-130 multiple times already, and the retail price is $199 for the 4GB unit. People have been able to get affordable 360 for some time now. PS3 has always been $299+

$300 is a lot better than $500-600, but it is still outside the price range for some gamers.

I see what you're saying, but I still think the X360 would get a nice boost with the Core SKU at $199 too.

Shurs

Opus Angelorum said:
Correct, it's tiresome to hear the 'but it's winning worldwide' argument.

I think it's just to frame that Sony doesn't have to hit the panic button, like some people suggest every month.

I assume profit is more important than NPD bragging rights.

Elios83

LosDaddie said:
Why would that be?

Because if PS3 drops to 199$ it will finally get mass market diffusion and that's simply huge.
A further 360 price cut would only sweeten the same deal, unless they cut to 129$/99$ and they position themselves on the discount market.....but that's highly unlikely before the next Xbox hits the market.

Shurs said:
I assume profit is more important than NPD bragging rights.

It absolutely is, however it's naive to think Sony introduce a price drop and Microsoft stands still.

Elios83 said:
...unless they cut to 129$/99$ and they position themselves on the discount market...

Considering the last price drop was over two years ago, a $129 Xbox 360 4GB is entirely possible.

spwolf

Opus Angelorum said:
Which could conceivably drop to $129 (if required).

really? why not $49... i will buy 5x at that price. Imagine the sales increase.
you could wave your e-* around for quite a while.

LosDaddie said:
True, but do we know what percentage the Arcade SKU makes up of the total X360 sales? I kinda agree the PS3 would have a larger sales boost at $199, but I don't think it would be too much larger than the X360 Core SKU at $199.

I see what you're saying, but I still think the X360 would get a nice boost with the Core SKU at $199 too.

I thought Kinect Bundles are really whats driving X360 sales. Surely the Xbox 360 S effect isnt still being felt this far from its initial reveal...

Dabanton

Jtyettis said:

I think even if Sony 'won' a month they still wouldn't release them.

Top Bottom