• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2012 Sales Results [Up4: Max Payne 3, Dragon's Dogma, Ghost Recon]

Amazing to think Xbox 360 will have been out at least 8 years before its sucessor arrives. Hell, it's been 6.5 years and a successor hasn't even been announced.

These hardware sales are showing stagnation either way, across the board.

Mindlog

|OT| NPD May 2012 Gaming Dubstep Thread of Filthy Drops

I can't decide of games need more dubstep or violence in their marketing to shake things up.

TheOddOne

Xbox 360 sold more units in May in the U.S. than any other console or handheld game device, maintaining its position as the best-selling console in the U.S. for the past 17 months.
Dude, what?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Things aren't going to get better.

Wii U will be very interesting, especially at $300 which I expect.

Salih

of course Diablo 3 is No.1 - hackers and botters are investing into multiple new accounts everyday with the easy earned money from the RMAH to get even more money. :p

j/k of course. You still can't change the fact that the RMAH is a devilish thing right now. :p

Its pretty much a given that the Wii U is heading into a very rough market right now. Nintendo better spend ever last dime they have to lock some big games up and market this thing because right now this industry is in the roughest shape it has been since the 83 crash.

3DS is also <160K despite Midnight Purple launch.

I suppose this means Ghost Recon: Future Soldier outsold Max Payne 3 (at least on X360)?
(Basing that on the order of titles in Microsoft's PR.)

3DS sales realized an increase of 17% over last May.&#8221;

last may if i remember correctly 3DS was around 97K... well...

Edit..

too late ( sigh )

pargonta

3DS is up... hear that analysts? it's not going down, it's going up... as in, being a successful dedicated handheld gaming device.
alright cool.

KageMaru

Wow those are some horrible 360 sales. Surprised, and happy, to see Diablo 3 at the top of the list.

MS need to get some games out ASAP. Hopefully Halo 4 will bump up the numbers later in the year but people will be begging for Next-Gen at this rate.

No exclusive is going to bump sales this late in the generation. The best they could do is drop the price and coast on through to next gen.

Mileena

Banned
On some real, how many more bombas can Crapcom take? I guess ORC is a slight success but everything is pretty bad for them outside of MH in Japan.

MS need to get some games out ASAP. Hopefully Halo 4 will bump up the numbers later in the year but people will be begging for Next-Gen at this rate.

Everybody sucks.

A price drop is the only thing that might help at all.

Next gen triple confirmed for late 13 by now. And if that doesn't work...

Wii U is staring at a bear market to say the least...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If the 360 is that low, I doubt anyone else did much better. Look kids, its time for the $99.99 price point or bust.

DaBuddaDa

And to think: this time next year, a whole 'nother year from now, there still won't be an Xbox or PS3 replacement on the market. They're killing themselves.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If the 360 is that low, I doubt anyone else did much better. Look kids, its time for the $99.99 price point or bust.

I wouldn't say $99, but I do think the 360 and PS3 definitely need a price drop to hit that mass market that'll buy stuff on the cheaperlow.

StevieP

Banned

You try telling that to the console manufacturers.

"Hey guys... we, um... can't really shrink the chips anymore without significant investment. So if you want to lower the price, we have to give up profitability at this point".

"Well... that sucks. Hey, what about a subscription model like cell phones?"

3DS is up... hear that analysts? it's not going down, it's going up... as in, being a successful dedicated handheld gaming device.
alright cool.

Wasnt last years May 3DS number under a much higher price?

Regardless, the number is low and not worth crowing about, hope you're being sarcastic.

“All hardware platforms, save the 3DS, saw a decline in unit sales versus last year. The Nintendo DS, however, did realize a 35% lift over April 2012, catalyzed by the May 20th price reduction on the DSi and DSi XL. Even with the price drop on the DS platform, 3DS sales realized an increase of 17% over last May.”

Nintendo are going to kick themselves for that silly Pokemon decision imo; mind you thats 35% on very low sales I suppose.
Still good for 3DS I suppose.

Xbox losing steam comes to no surprise, MS have pretty much stuck the brakes on. Very strange.

Well done to Diablo III - am still edgy about the online thing with it but am starting to realise its not 'completely' different from how Steam does things (just more open to dropping offline) so thats still stopping me buying it but a might come around.

No one in gaming is looking healthy and I really wish we got online PC info (least from Steam, damn you private companies and yer privacy :p) as I'd 'hope' its a growing market, certainly Diablo is doing very well just in retail (which I suspect would be the smaller part of their sales!) as otherwise its pretty much a major contraction in the market - worldwide.

Petrae

And to think: this time next year, a whole 'nother year from now, there still won't be an Xbox or PS3 replacement on the market. They're killing themselves.

Quoted for truth. This is only a sign of things to come for the console sector, and by the time Microsoft and Sony are finally ready to roll out Gen4, many consumers might not come back.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Yep looks like the last years of a generation. Ugh I can't believe ps3, and the 360 lasted this long. The Wii has been a zombie for the past 2-3 years.

Top Bottom